Rain washing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
Rain washing?

Now that I am retired I can't afford to spend so much on car washes (before I was spending like 60+$ a month :S)

I've been reading about rain washing, and it's been pretty interesting (obviously won't be a good idea if you live in an area with acid rain)

Here is one of the articles I was looking at

HowStuffWorks "Should You Wash Your Car Naturally with Rain?"

I usually wash my car on clear days, and I have switched to a touchless method since I heard from detail experts that no matter what towel u use (even waffle weaves, microfibers, absorbers, etc) they ALL leave scratches in the clear coat from draggin the tiny particles you can't even see.

So now I do more of a low pressure rinse and after its dry if theres any spots I take a bottle of water and just pour it on them and they go away.

but i notice when i drive in the rain it gets dirty like this:

this pic is on a clear day (it rained the day before when i drove it) see how it leaves the dirty things?

so this morning I left the car out side and am hoping the rain will rinse everything away - right now it looks like this - as u can see its still a little dirty but im hoping it will rinse away

and just like marriage and corvettes, everything looks nice from far away

AngelsBoyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Road Trip!

also anyone got tips for cleaning deck panel area? water always seems to trickle down from behind it and leave stains - should place some towels under it for a few hours after washing to let it soak up?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I wash mine once a month, but it is garage kept most of the time. With that said. When it does get rained on I tend to let it dry and see how many water spots I have on it. If not a lot I then use a product called Body Shine (spray wax) and just spray a bit on it and wipe it down with a microfiber towel. If it is really bad I just rinse it with hose water and dry it then use the body shine to touch it up. As for what I call tears you could use a leaf blower to blow dry your car and that should stop the tears. I guess you could use the leaf blower to dry the car after the rain as well. I would use an electric one because the gas ones may have blow by and leave little bits of oil residue on the car.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
I wash mine once a month, but it is garage kept most of the time. With that said. When it does get rained on I tend to let it dry and see how many water spots I have on it. If not a lot I then use a product called Body Shine (spray wax) and just spray a bit on it and wipe it down with a microfiber towel. If it is really bad I just rinse it with hose water and dry it then use the body shine to touch it up. As for what I call tears you could use a leaf blower to blow dry your car and that should stop the tears. I guess you could use the leaf blower to dry the car after the rain as well. I would use an electric one because the gas ones may have blow by and leave little bits of oil residue on the car.
cool thanks for the tips! i do the same thing with spray wax and microfiber towel!

so whats the least amount of # of washes i can get away with per month? is once a month legit enough? mine is also garage kept, but it is also a DD. I used to wash every week, so maybe wash every other week now? or once a month is good? once a month feels too long for me atm so maybe for now ill do bimonthly.

but yeah the rain method didnt work well - i mean yeah u can probably rinse with rain water but if u drive it in the rain the car gets dirty from all the dirt + water = mud on the road that gets splattered on your car
Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Honestly, whoever suggested "rain washing" doesn't care much about how their car looks and is lazy. Just my opinion.

If you take a minute to think about it, rain comes from where? Condensation from local ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. The water isn't going to be filtered or clean. Not to mention the rain traps whatever dust, dirt, debris is in the air.

I wash mine every week as a DD by hand and use detailing spray with a GOOD borderless towel to reduce scratching. A couple quick tips is first, spray the entire towel twice with detailing spray. This softens the fibers and makes it less likely to create a rough surface that will make debris dig in.

Second, a borderless towel is by far the best option. Zano makes a Borderless Blonde towel that are amazing. They sell out almost instantly, so you have to be on the ball to get your hands on some.

Now, as for the trunk lid, I've run across that. The explanation is water is getting trapped behind the trunk lid. So what you do is after you wash and rinse. Pop the trunk. You'll see lots of water still there, so dry the inside of the trunk lid as best you can.

The streaks get formed when the water sits there and eventually trickles out with all the dirt inside of your trunk lid.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Honestly, whoever suggested "rain washing" doesn't care much about how their car looks and is lazy. Just my opinion.

If you take a minute to think about it, rain comes from where? Condensation from local ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. The water isn't going to be filtered or clean. Not to mention the rain traps whatever dust, dirt, debris is in the air.

I wash mine every week as a DD by hand and use detailing spray with a GOOD borderless towel to reduce scratching. A couple quick tips is first, spray the entire towel twice with detailing spray. This softens the fibers and makes it less likely to create a rough surface that will make debris dig in.

Second, a borderless towel is by far the best option. Zano makes a Borderless Blonde towel that are amazing. They sell out almost instantly, so you have to be on the ball to get your hands on some.

Now, as for the trunk lid, I've run across that. The explanation is water is getting trapped behind the trunk lid. So what you do is after you wash and rinse. Pop the trunk. You'll see lots of water still there, so dry the inside of the trunk lid as best you can.

The streaks get formed when the water sits there and eventually trickles out with all the dirt inside of your trunk lid.
i see thank you for the trunk tip!!

man im just so frustrtated because in the last 3 years i been suggested SOOOO many towels.... first i got the absorber then everyone said its bad and leaves scratches, then i got microfiber towels, and 3 weeks later everyone says they are too rough - then i got a waffleweave and now i need a borderless lol??

this is the waffleweave i have atm, is it a borderless too?

Meguiars Water Magnet is a soft waffle weave microfiber drying towel that's softer than terry towels and more absorbent than a chamois. Attracts water
Old 08-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsBoyfriend View Post
i see thank you for the trunk tip!!

man im just so frustrtated because in the last 3 years i been suggested SOOOO many towels.... first i got the absorber then everyone said its bad and leaves scratches, then i got microfiber towels, and 3 weeks later everyone says they are too rough - then i got a waffleweave and now i need a borderless lol??

this is the waffleweave i have atm, is it a borderless too?

Meguiars Water Magnet is a soft waffle weave microfiber drying towel that's softer than terry towels and more absorbent than a chamois. Attracts water

Take a look at your paint do you see scratches in it? If so you are using something you shouldn't be if not then continue. I use what works for me. I use microfiber drying towels and microfiber towels to take off the wax. I have no scratches or anything else in my Deep Impact Blue paint or clear coat. I have used a leaf blower to get the water out from behind the mirrors and such but I find if I just drive it and when I get to were I am going I just give it a quick hit with the spray wax to get rid of the tears. If I am out and get rained on then I wash it within a few days to get it back clean. I drive mine as much as I can in the summer and fall so it does get dirty pretty fast. I have cheap microfiber towels I use on my rims with the spray wax and some more expensive ones I use on my paint I get them from Amazon once a year in bulk (5 or 6) and use them until they get dirty or full of wax. I wash them once and use them again till dirty of full of wax. The thing I find is find something that works for you and stay with it. I would back off from washing once a week but that is just me.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The detailing get world is ever changing. No those aren't borderless. Borderless have no stitching on the edges where it's rough. It's all normal towel surface, if that makes sense.

Google zano borderless blonde and you'll see what I mean. I'd it necessary to have these? No, but it's helped me and others.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I probably wouldn't use rain washing as a method of washing my car. But that's just my opinion. Your car should have a coat of sealant or at least a coat of wax to keep the paint somewhat protected. So if you're just looking to remove water spots from the car from a previous rain, Honestly just grab a microfiber and a good spray wax or detail spray. It won't hurt the paint.

If it's a good amount of dirt and waterspots on the car, just give it a quick wash, and use an electric leaf blower to dry it. You'll be much happier in the long run, trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Rain washing?

Hey someone else that does the trunk also!!! Thought I was the only one who did that.....

So you also do the door jams and under the mirrors?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Hey someone else that does the trunk also!!! Thought I was the only one who did that.....

So you also do the door jams and under the mirrors?

Every time. Lol, otherwise I get those nasty water spots or drips. It must remain perfect!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Don't want to hijack the thread, but...........

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408919632.506863.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	880.0 KB
ID:	164268

HID end all thread
Old 08-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but...........

Attachment 164268

Challenge accepted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1408224243412.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	164269  
Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
Road Trip!

I win I've always been fascinated with detailing and even though I seem to ask a lot of basic questions, its only because I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can. But yes, I am a big fan of spray wax + towel dry over water spots and etc, I tried that borderless towel, but the thing is it leaves a lot of yellow lint.... I think I shall stick to my waffle weave.

the reality of the situation however is that there isn't a towel in existence that won't make scratches, because it has nothing to do with the softness of the towel - but the fact that even after a good wash there are tiny particles you can't even see and as the towel drags them across the car they scratch the clear coat - which is why i don't spray wax + dry after a rain because there's tons of mud+sand, etc...

I like my waffle weave because it has little waffle pockets that help trap some of those tiny particles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140705_112903_zpsjovkl4qt.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	164571  
Old 08-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I win I've always been fascinated with detailing and even though I seem to ask a lot of basic questions, its only because I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can. But yes, I am a big fan of spray wax + towel dry over water spots and etc, I tried that borderless towel, but the thing is it leaves a lot of yellow lint.... I think I shall stick to my waffle weave.

the reality of the situation however is that there isn't a towel in existence that won't make scratches, because it has nothing to do with the softness of the towel - but the fact that even after a good wash there are tiny particles you can't even see and as the towel drags them across the car they scratch the clear coat - which is why i don't spray wax + dry after a rain because there's tons of mud+sand, etc...

I like my waffle weave because it has little waffle pockets that help trap some of those tiny particles.
There is a product called swirl remover that I use once in awhile if I see a lot of swirls. Here is what I use

Swirl Remover 16 Oz by Jax Wax.Car Care Products

I use only there products on my cars.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
There is a product called swirl remover that I use once in awhile if I see a lot of swirls. Here is what I use

Swirl Remover 16 Oz by Jax Wax.Car Care Products

I use only there products on my cars.
Yeah I seen those too, a couple months ago I went to a detail shop and had them do a full exterior detail which included polish and buff so that made my paint look like brand new - since then i have not touched a towel to it (only do touchless wash+dry) and its been going well, but its also been getting expensive so I may just do touchless once a month and hand wash every week and just spot dry with spray wax+towel wherever I get waterspots.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The borderless does shed at first, after a couple washes that goes away. The softness DOES matter. Softer fibers = less friction. Less friction = less likely hood of grinding debris on the paint.

Waffle weave are good for glass as they're absorbant and can scrub bugs off. Too rough for paint in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I normally wash my car once a week because I park in a lot where the dust gets blown around pretty bad and I feel it's more important to get the dirst off than leave it on. I dry with regular bath towels. When I wax or wipe bugs off of the front, I use a microfiber towel. My car is not a show car, it is getting chips from rocks, it has some very light swirl scratches, but I am enjoying driving it to work every day and it still looks better than 99% of the cars on the road.
If I was retired, I would keep a cover on it while it sat in the driveway.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can't realistically keep it clean without touching it. You will always scratch the paint when you touch it. See the problem? The solution is just to do everything you can to mitigate how much you scratch the paint (ie: reduce it to a level that will never be visible to the naked eye). Use good car soap, mit, microfiber towels, two bucket wash method (this is huge), and wax it any time you think the water is not beading easily.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You do what you can to lessen how much you touch your paint at all. Most swirls are introduced in drying. Hence why I use an electric leaf blower to dry the car and then a good mist of detailing spray and a very light touch to get rid of any remaining water or spots.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #21
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

You're not worried that the leaf blower could be shooting dirt particles at your paint?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not really, I clean the area around my carport before I do that. The rest of it gets washed away during washing and rinsing.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I think we all need to hermetically seal our cars so they don't get dirty and won't get scratched.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
I think we all need to hermetically seal our cars so they don't get dirty and won't get scratched.

Second that motion

Scottad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You can't realistically keep it clean without touching it. You will always scratch the paint when you touch it. See the problem? The solution is just to do everything you can to mitigate how much you scratch the paint (ie: reduce it to a level that will never be visible to the naked eye). Use good car soap, mit, microfiber towels, two bucket wash method (this is huge), and wax it any time you think the water is not beading easily.

Two bucket wash method? Please explain.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmegnin1 View Post
Two bucket wash method? Please explain.

One bucket of soap, one bucket of water. Wet the mit in the soap bucket, lather up part of the car, rinse it in the water bucket, dunk it in the soap bucket, repeat. It may sound silly or redundant but the rinse bucket helps knock most of the solid particles off the mit and thus you end up rubbing less grit on the car (which causes swirls). Adams Polishes even makes bucket inserts called "grit guards" that serve as vortex blockers so solid particles fall to the bottom of the bucket and can't get swept up into the mit. It made a big difference for me when I started doing the 2 bucket deal.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
One bucket of soap, one bucket of water. Wet the mit in the soap bucket, lather up part of the car, rinse it in the water bucket, dunk it in the soap bucket, repeat. It may sound silly or redundant but the rinse bucket helps knock most of the solid particles off the mit and thus you end up rubbing less grit on the car (which causes swirls). Adams Polishes even makes bucket inserts called "grit guards" that serve as vortex blockers so solid particles fall to the bottom of the bucket and can't get swept up into the mit. It made a big difference for me when I started doing the 2 bucket deal.

Thanks man. Can't believe I was ignorant to this information.

cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post

Look up Opticoat 2.0

HID end all thread
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Rain washing?

Quote:
Look up Opticoat 2.0

This. My car stays looking fresh for about the first 2-3 rains. As long as it's a shower and not just random blots here and there. It works this way simply because the rain+debris in it is pushed off at normal driving speeds. Small blots like to stick a little.

Everything on my GT is OC'ed except the plastics. So they don't stay as clean. My rims have a much higher gloss with OC, but as soon as rain hits them they dull like normal... But cleaning them is still much easier.

My windshield... Is like perm rain-x'ed. No need for wipers at ~60+ mph.

Lastly, with semi decent heavy rain, week-old bugs on the bumper get washed off too.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Living in Los Angeles, I can't really do this... That is unless I want my car washed once a year only. LOL.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Look up Opticoat 2.0

I'm going to do this....eventually when I polish my paint to a point I feel comfortable with it. I'm just too much of a perfectionist I guess, even though I know full well as a DD, it won't be a show car. Haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar