My experience with the DMV - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
My experience with the DMV

Alright story time, this is pretty much me just ranting since i am so fed up with the DMV right now and their complete incompetence.

Back in July i ordered custom plates for my car, so i waited like a normal person would. Online it said 6-8 weeks until they will be ready for pick up. Well 10 weeks went by and i finally got a slip in the mail to go pick them up at the DMV.

This was September 3rd i went to go pick them up. Basically when i got there i gave the dude at the window my slip i got in the mail, he went over and pulled an envelope out of a cabinet. Pulled them out and they were missing a letter. I originally ordered IH8MPG, it came out as I8MPG. Not good. So what happened was they said they were going to order them again and it should be about 4 weeks until i get them. They also had me surrender my old plates so they could just mail the new plates to me, so i wouldn't have to go back to the DMV.

7 weeks go by and i go back in and try to see whats up and why i haven't gotten the plates. Turns out the dude at the window last time never actually inputted it into the system to order new plates. Go figure. The lady this time said she was going to personally handle it and got my info, she also said that she ordered them again and put them on high priority, and i should get a call within 3-5 business days when they are physically being put in the mail. She also gave me the number of the special processing department. Well that was last week.

According to them I should have gotten the call on Friday, so i waited the whole day, never got it. So today i called the special processing department, no answer, just kept ringing. Great........ So i look around online and come up with another number for the special processing department. This one works. So i spoke with a lady this time. She was really nice, so i didn't want to be a jerk. I explained everything that happened and she looked into it, got all the info about the car, the plates, and the sequence of events. Here is what she found..........

Turns out since the plates were ordered back in July there has not been a single re-order for the plates, and there has been no indication for me to receive a phone call. At this point my blood is pretty much boiling. It has been 6 months since i ordered the plates, and they can't even manage that.

This lady took down the entire story, pretty much everything i am saying now, and said there is a special department that should be looking into it and i will be given a phone brief in 3-5 business days (haven't i heard that before?).

I have Semester finals right now so i don't have the time or patience to deal with this. When i'm done and back home in a few days i am going to have one more phone call, and i will not hang up until i have some concrete confirmation that my plates are on their way to me, or are on their way to me by the end of the week.

The plates cost me $98 initially, and $70 extra on registration every year, i refuse to pay that cost for plates i have not even had on my car half the year. Also at this point i've been rolling around without any plates on the car for around 3 months. As cool as it may seem, it gets old. And it gets old having to explain it to police officers.

Want to hear the kicker? They make the plates 45 minutes from my house.... Oh and you can probably guess which state i live in, if you don't already know.

Who wants to take a guess when i'm finally going to get my plates?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Sounds like a whole lot of laziness going on at the desks there

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Prime example of why I absolutely despise dealing with almost all government agencies. Sorry you're stuck dealing with all that non-sense. I'd tell them they better not charge you for the extra money for the year since for 6+ months they were never in your possession anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

After confirming that there has never been any progress my head is just spinning. I can't even focus on studying for my finals right now.

HID end all thread
Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Switch your order to IH8DMV.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Switch your order to IH8DMV.
+1000000000
Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

IH8DMV was already taken in VA.

The good news is that we can be brothers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ih8mpg.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	171313  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Mine is going to be the California Memorial one. The one with the American Flag background. I originally wanted MPG LOL. But that was taken.

HID end all thread
Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Triplets!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	82
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	171314  
Old 12-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Alright story time, this is pretty much me just ranting since i am so fed up with the DMV right now and their complete incompetence.

Back in July i ordered custom plates for my car, so i waited like a normal person would. Online it said 6-8 weeks until they will be ready for pick up. Well 10 weeks went by and i finally got a slip in the mail to go pick them up at the DMV.

This was September 3rd i went to go pick them up. Basically when i got there i gave the dude at the window my slip i got in the mail, he went over and pulled an envelope out of a cabinet. Pulled them out and they were missing a letter. I originally ordered IH8MPG, it came out as I8MPG. Not good. So what happened was they said they were going to order them again and it should be about 4 weeks until i get them. They also had me surrender my old plates so they could just mail the new plates to me, so i wouldn't have to go back to the DMV.

7 weeks go by and i go back in and try to see whats up and why i haven't gotten the plates. Turns out the dude at the window last time never actually inputted it into the system to order new plates. Go figure. The lady this time said she was going to personally handle it and got my info, she also said that she ordered them again and put them on high priority, and i should get a call within 3-5 business days when they are physically being put in the mail. She also gave me the number of the special processing department. Well that was last week.

According to them I should have gotten the call on Friday, so i waited the whole day, never got it. So today i called the special processing department, no answer, just kept ringing. Great........ So i look around online and come up with another number for the special processing department. This one works. So i spoke with a lady this time. She was really nice, so i didn't want to be a jerk. I explained everything that happened and she looked into it, got all the info about the car, the plates, and the sequence of events. Here is what she found..........

Turns out since the plates were ordered back in July there has not been a single re-order for the plates, and there has been no indication for me to receive a phone call. At this point my blood is pretty much boiling. It has been 6 months since i ordered the plates, and they can't even manage that.

This lady took down the entire story, pretty much everything i am saying now, and said there is a special department that should be looking into it and i will be given a phone brief in 3-5 business days (haven't i heard that before?).

I have Semester finals right now so i don't have the time or patience to deal with this. When i'm done and back home in a few days i am going to have one more phone call, and i will not hang up until i have some concrete confirmation that my plates are on their way to me, or are on their way to me by the end of the week.

The plates cost me $98 initially, and $70 extra on registration every year, i refuse to pay that cost for plates i have not even had on my car half the year. Also at this point i've been rolling around without any plates on the car for around 3 months. As cool as it may seem, it gets old. And it gets old having to explain it to police officers.

Want to hear the kicker? They make the plates 45 minutes from my house.... Oh and you can probably guess which state i live in, if you don't already know.

Who wants to take a guess when i'm finally going to get my plates?

I have a buddy in California who ordered IH8MPG a couple weeks ago. Guess they are no longer available. Just kidding! Seriously though, we all hate dealing with the DMV no matter what state we live in. When I bought my Mustang a couple years ago, I wanted to apply for plates myself instead of having the dealer do it. I wanted to get Special Collector plates like I have on all of my other vehicles. I have Collector plates on my '79 T/A which allows me to do that. The dealer insisted they had to apply for my plates, so I filled out the forms with them since they had no idea what I was talking about. I waited for months, calling and checking with the dealer, who actually dropped the ball on sending it in but always gave me a different story. I found an e-mail address on our DMV site, got immediate responses from them, and they even called the dealer right away. They were very polite and signed their name on the bottom of all the e-mails. I had my plates in a couple weeks. See if you can deal with them via e-mail. You won't have to worry about sucking up all of your time on it. And everything will be documented.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Look at what FINALLY came in. I was sleeping when they arrived on Saturday so my dad and sister decided to wrap them as a Christmas gift for me lol.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1419536802.953863.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	172448

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 12-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Nice!!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Woulda been awkward if you called on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday to complain about your plates to the DMV lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Well, I just gotta say

They sure look great.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Woulda been awkward if you called on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday to complain about your plates to the DMV lol

Plus uno

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld with Kramer's A$$MAN plates LOL. Indiana temporarily put a halt on personalized plates because of a police officer suing the state for taking his plates away. After renewing them several years in a row they were suddenly deemed "offensive", and renewal was denied (Plate said "0INK"). Since they could not define what was used to deem plates "defensive" they are being sued. There is a hold on all personalized plates until after the lawsuit is taken care of...
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Here is a pic of them on the car

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420178839.336417.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	172748

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Really wanting to get some for mine that say LIB0RISK
Military humor

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

I swear if any of you in SC take my idea I will find you.....

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
Really wanting to get some for mine that say LIB0RISK
Military humor

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

I swear if any of you in SC take my idea I will find you.....

Isn't that too long? In VA, you can only have 8 characters on a plate if one of the 8 is a dash or space. Max being 7 letters/numbers + 1 dash/space. Obv I have no clue about other state laws other than VA though.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure it 8 for SC

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like any motor vehicle department I've been at, I had anything I wanted when my mom worked there now I hate going there. ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar