Mustang over Camaro? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Mustang over Camaro?

I'm not very good with finding other threads and using the search function so maybe someone has already asked this question, I apologize in advance.

I was wondering what brought you to buy a Mustang over a Camaro? Style, performance, reliability, driveabilty, Ford > GM?

NOTE: If you don't want to read my long post just skip to the bottom and read the last paragraph.

A little back story on my mustang, it's a 2014 V6 Base Black mustang. It's has been the best purchase I've ever made, second to my motorcycle. I bought last January when Ford was just giving them away with all their rebates. Before buying it I test drove a couple of other cars. My criteria was a 2 - door, RWD, manual car, it's just what I wanted.

Contenders:

2005 Nissan 350Z: I always thought they were cool and when I test drove one I thought it drove very nicely, I really like the clutch and the manual on the Z. Didn't get it because it was only the first car I test drove and I had others to test.

2013 Nissan 370Z: I thought they were even cooler, but never got the chance to drive it.

2010 Camaro V6: I really like the styling of the camaro, thought it looked like a badass car. The ride was ok, but I really didn't like the shifter, it didn't feel right and I couldn't stand those damn tiny windows. The enormous blind spots on those cars drove me nuts. And the last reason I didn't buy THAT camaro was because of the salesman, what a D-bag. After the test drive I told him that I wasn't feeling the car, didn't like the shifter, blind spots and I didn't feel that I could DD the car and he still asked me if I wanted to sign papers and take it home today!! I really wanted to sock him, it annoyed me more than I thought it would.

2010 Mustang V6: Yes, I test drove this car with an auto only because I knew nothing about mustangs. I drove it, liked it and came really close to buying it. No offense to the 2010 V6 owners but that car just isn't in the same tier as they 2011's+.

I only considered the 2014 because my dad is a real stickler about getting a new car with a warranty. So I reluctantly checked out the 2014 V6 manual, and the reason I was reluctant about it is because I've driven a 1990, 1999, 2001, 2006, and a 2008 mustang with manual trans and absolutely hated the clutch and shifter. Ungodly heavy clutch and/or random catch points and the shifter felt like crap. I also didn't like the interior, saw a lot of mustangs with interior bits that rattled alot and were just falling off. But then I got inside and drove a 2014 my view changed completely, my first thought is Ford finally got their ***** together. IMO the clutch, shifter, interior, feel of the car, wind noise and other things were just better than the other mustangs I've drove.

Anyway that's my autobio about my car. I have learned a lot from this forum and am really happy it exists. So what is your reason for choosing a Mustang over a Camaro?
AgentGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have always been a Ford guy. Besides that, the Camaro looks like a Transformer that hasn't turned in to a robot yet.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mustang over Camaro?

Judging by your post you want the a v6 comparison. I personally owned a 03 350Z I wasn't crazy about it. Then again I really didn't like it all that much. I'm a car guy I like them all. But when Chevy brought back the camaro they f***ed it up. I think it's ugly and I agree with you it's hard to see out of. I drove a couple (an SS and v6) the power was ok but I couldn't tell where the wheels were. The body is too big and boxy for my taste. I drove every challenger (v6, rt, srt8, waiting for the hellcat to come to my shop) I really liked it. The car made power and I think it's good looking. But the weight, it's heavy but dodge did a good job managing the weight. You can't really tell the weight until you hammer on it. The mustangs have come along way. Even their v6 cars are stout for what they are. Unfortunately the v6 looks like it's going to hit the road.

Excuse my naivety. I was born at a very early age.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Whats funny is back when i was 16 in High school i could care less about cars. I had been a drummer for ... probably about 5 years at that time, so all my time, effort, and money went into my kit. When the time came for my to get my first car my parents said "well heres your budget, what do you want?" ... Hell if i know haha, i poked around auto trader and just nothing jumped out at me.

One day my dad said "Have you thought about a mustang? I found a nice 01 (it was 07 at the time) v6 we should go take a look at." So we went, and honestly, the second i sat in the driver's seat it was just ... life changing. I cant describe it, i dont know what it was, but that was the car. It was the only one i test drove, and i have been a mustang guy ever since.

I appreciate cars from other brands, and performance in whatever form it may take, but i'll always be a mustang guy. 2 of the 3 cars i have owned have been mustangs, and there will always likely be at least 1 in the driveway.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Mainly because I'm a Ford guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I have been a GM guys since 1982 when I bought my first Chevelle. I was looking at new Camaros but never test drove one. The LS based engines are awesome and need very little to be even more awesome. But here is why I bought the Mustang GT.

1. Emailed a salesman buddy of mine to get the best deal I could for an SS with an automatic. He was about 3K more than a base GT Automatic.
2. The gas mileage (advertised) is slightly better on the Mustang.
3. I can run 87 octane all day in the Mustang and it runs just fine.
4. The style of the 2013-2014 Mustang is the best since 1970.
5. The coyote has really good reviews.
6. There is a lot of support in the aftermarket for Mustangs.

Hindsight, I might have driven my old Trans Am just a few months more to get a better deal on the 2014 GT when the 2015 made its debut (would have added the Brembo package and Recaro seats, too) but I still feel like I got a great deal and have a solid car.

When I buy my next new daily driver, I'll look around just like this time. I could just as easily switch back to GM, or buy my first Mopar, or stay with Ford. Who knows, maybe Hyundai or some other brand will have what I am looking for.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
On the v8 impression
Mustang- coyote is great powers good car handles well but the track pack is the way to go. The upgraded brakes do wonders. Personally I'd take the 05-09 mustang over the coyote cars. I think they look a million times better but I understand the coyote is a better buy.
Camaro- the v8 cars are a drastic improvement on the v6. They refine everything but to get the most of it the lt1 package is the one to get. Personally I'd take a 05-06 6.0L GTO over the new Camaro any day.
Challenger- basically the rt is for someone who wants a v8 sound that's isn't very stout. The engine needs some attention, with mods it becomes a performance monster. The srt8 is what I consider dodges mid level performance muscle car. The torque is outstanding but at high rpms it falls flat on its face. The hellcat is exactly what the challenger need. It has low end torque and high end hp to the extreme. But the ZL1 and gt500 are the better buy. Their weight difference is a major deciding factor.

Excuse my naivety. I was born at a very early age.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I own V8, I will have to say though for me I have always like American Muscle and slightly partial to Ford. I was dead set on the Challenger about 5 years ago or so. Loved the look. Refused to test drive anything until I could get one. I had a bought used beater of a 02 V6 Stang. Best years were behind it when I got it.

Finally got to where I was ready to get a car. Went to Dodge... drove it and was like.. huh, thats ok I guess. Told the guy I was going to look around and think about try couple other cars. He had an SS used on the Lot so I took that out. Didnt like the interior set up, small windows but liked everything else over the Challenger. Then I decided I should try the Stang. Went to Ford dealer, test drove the GT... DONE. DONE DONE DONE. Shopped around for best deal and got my 2011 GT. Now have a 2013 GT. LOVE them. Drive them all
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Met my car salesman at a local bar (he was wearing his dealer shirt, just off work). Talked to him, told him what I was looking for. Said I didn't know what I wanted, but I would know it when I see it. I was actually looking for an F-150, 4-door, grey, no leather, 2wd. He called every few weeks when he got one in for me to check out. In Septeber I went to look at one and it just wasn't what I thought it would be. I saw the 2013 white Pony Package sittin on the used lot and fell in love. I resisted taking a test drive and came home to do some research. Called him and asked for the best price/financing on it and took my SUV in for trade appraisal. Looked over their offer which was more than fair on all sides (I had my own financing arranged in case I needed to counter... I didn't). Signed some papers and drove it home. I have loved every second of ownership. Unlike my old Chevy SUV when I would get mad making my payment every month (the thing was falling apart at <100k) I don't mind making this one at all even though it's double and my insurance is double. I still smile when I unlock it and look at those tail lights.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya... What he said. Nothing beats turning around for another look after you have parked and are heading into a place

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The only Camaro that I ever liked was the 71/72s. I grew up in a Pontiac family. Several years before even getting my license I fell in love with the Ford GT40. Then when Ford took 1,2,3 at LeMans in 1966, it was a done deal. Nothing but Fords for me. With the exception of a 74 W200 Dodge diesel in 1974 (great engine, rattly piece of crap otherwise), Fords are all I have ever owned or considered. Six out of twenty-four have been Mustangs, four of which I still own. Even if money was no object, I would find some Ford to buy with it.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

New Camaro over a 15 gt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang over Camaro?

Yeah, I was looking a V6 comparison. I never had an interest in the Challenger because I knew it was a boat. Also to me the car looks fatter than the one in the late 60's early 70's, kinda like some rockstar from 30 years ago making his comeback except he's gained 50lbs and lost talent. I can't speak for the V8 Challengers because I haven't driven them, but I saw the specs for the V6 and they didn't look appealing. I'm not entirely sure about the V6 going away, it's still cheaper that the Boosted I4, but the 4 banger does make more power and torque so maybe it will, does kinda of suck. That's why I'm glad I got my 14 V6.

EDIT: This a response for The Great Recon
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang over Camaro?

I like the new edge mustangs as well I think they look alot better than the pre 99 mustangs. I did drive an auto v6 01 and did come close to purchasing that but again my dad steered me towards a new car. Don't regret the purchase though!

EDIT: This is a response to Voltwing
Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang over Camaro?

I've never understood the whole GM vs Ford VS Dodge/Chrysler thing. I mainly look at how the car functions and if makes the experience of driving it enjoyable. But I am a noob still in the car world so I don't know much about the rivalry between makers. I really wanted to get a GT but in the end I couldn't justify the extra 10K for 2 more cylinders, although I'm hoping that one day I can. Because just about nothing beats the roar of a V8, IMO.

EDIT: This is a response to 2014SGM
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang over Camaro?

I know what you mean. When I test drove the V6 I was completely blown away and I made up my mind that I was going to buy that car before the test drive was even over. I did have a cool salesman that let me run through the gears and get close to 100 on the test drive, I think that's what really sold it. Now the V6 isn't as impressive as the 8 so don't laugh when I say I'm blown away because I came from have little 4 bangers, the car I had before was a 2012 Chevy Sonic, what a crappy little car and it only had a whooping 140 HP out of that little 1.8, so entering the mustang was mind changing and awesome.

Also little sidenote, is the car pictured in your signature your GT? If so, congrats it looks beast!

EDIT: This is a response to NaplesStang
Old 01-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome, I know I really like the cars from the late 60's early 70's they feel like they have character unlike cars today, with the exception of sports cars. And same here, with money being no object i would have at least 3-4 mustangs.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you say that? Is it because the 2015 is the almost a complete redesign and the first of anything models are always the buggiest? Or not a fan of the Euro Styling? I would say both.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

AgentGTO, use your quote button when answering so we know to who you are addressing.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
AgentGTO, use your quote button when answering so we know to who you are addressing.

Well damn it. I was using the fast reply thinking it would work.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Mustang over Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGTO View Post
Well damn it. I was using the fast reply thinking it would work.

If you are on the iPhone app tap the post you want to quote so it is yellow and then tap the quote button or you can tap the quick reply at the bottom (as long as the post is tapped also. You should see the quote above what you are typing.

Or if on a computer simply press the quote button after the post you want to quote.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I've been a Chevy guy (and drag racer) for 44 years. Loved when the car companies started with the retro cars. Decided that i'd like to get one. At that point the Camaro hadn't come out yet and was really excited to see one. Especially when I heard it was going to favor the 1969 Camaro. We have a 69. To say I was disappointed when it came out is an understatement. Loved how nice Chysler and Ford captured the old look. So after 44 years of strictly Chevrolet I ordered a 2014 Mustang GT Premium. Absolutely love the car.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I love my GM's, I've been an Fbody owner for a long time and absolutely love that car. However, I hate the 5th gen Camaro. The interior sucks, I can't see out the damn things and I don't care for the styling.

I bought my 14 Mustang, simply because it's a better car than a comparable Camaro.

I've always liked both, Ford generally seems to make a better car and GM always (LS3 > Coyote) has the better power-train.

That said, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought a Ford.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

My great , great grandfather worked at Henry Ford's first factory...my great grandfather also, then my grandfather met my grandmother at the Ford factory in Kentucky (grandpa was an electrical tech, grandma was a secretary). My first car was a pinto, followed by a 68 country squire wagon, then a 68 stang (18th birthday present)....I never knew why I was drawn to Ford's and then my dad filled me in on the rich family history we have with them currently have an 04gt, 09focus, and 01f150. FOMOCO4LIFE

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Wait till 2016... I have a feeling the Alpha Camaro is going to blow the Mustang out of the water... one of the reasons I think Ford is going to definitely go with a hopped up 3.5L Eco in 2016 or 2017 for the GT. The LT1 is just a monster and even the new 15' Coyote is not in the same league.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Wait till 2016... I have a feeling the Alpha Camaro is going to blow the Mustang out of the water... one of the reasons I think Ford is going to definitely go with a hopped up 3.5L Eco in 2016 or 2017 for the GT. The LT1 is just a monster and even the new 15' Coyote is not in the same league.

It better not look like the one in transformers.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #27

Region: South Carolina
Well I looked at the Camaro and Mustang before purchasing my 2014 GT. The Camaro to be honest looked to cartoonish for my liking and I didn't care for the interior nor the windows. Also HP means nothing if the car weighs a lot like the Camaro or Challenger.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It better not look like the one in transformers.

I have seen a few spy videos of these new camaros. Well, the looked pretty much like the one in transformers #EuroFeverWTF #ugly
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Camaros are slow. Mustangs are faster. Easy as that

roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
Camaros are slow. Mustangs are faster. Easy as that

That only applies to the 11 and up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

And when the Alpha releases this fall it will swing back to the Camaro again.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
And when the Alpha releases this fall it will swing back to the Camaro again.

Not when the new gt500 comes to play.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Who cares if a new GT500 will be faster unless you personally own one? That's like saying my dad can beat up your dad.
The better car for you is the one that makes YOUR balls tingle and look back after you park.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha True

Old 03-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
Not when the new gt500 comes to play.

Don't be so sure, the 2014 1le camaro is actually a better road racer than the 2014 gt500.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar