Anyone know about garage door repair? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Anyone know about garage door repair?

Went to push my remote to open my huge detached garage and nothing. Went out and there's power to half the garage and not the front half. I don't know for sure but it also looks like the long black torsion spring above the door on a bar is broken. It's pretty long and extends both ways bit one side is in half.
Fuse box in house and garage is all ok.
The door opener unit isn't lighting up or making noise or doing anything at all.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If the spring is broken it will need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Went to push my remote to open my huge detached garage and nothing. Went out and there's power to half the garage and not the front half. I don't know for sure but it also looks like the long black torsion spring above the door on a bar is broken. It's pretty long and extends both ways bit one side is in half.
Fuse box in house and garage is all ok.
The door opener unit isn't lighting up or making noise or doing anything at all.
The spring on the door has nothing to do with the electrical power.

Check your ground faults I bet one of them has blown and needs to be reset.

Pull the red handle with the rope on it and then lift the door by hand if it goes up with out busting a vein then the springs are good if not then a spring is broken.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I gets weirder. I pulled the cord, got some friends to help lift the oversize door and at least got the car out.
The spring is definitely broke, so that's one issue. But also, half the garage lost power. I checked the breaker at the house and the double breaker is showing power leaving the house. The breaker coming into the garage shows half the circuits no power.
I reroute do the opener to one of the breakers thTs still working, so that has power now but won't try it until spring is replaced.
I'm losing one power source between the house and the garage underground.
Weird that both issues at same time.
Maybe the door was frozen shut with ice and the extra strain broke the spring and also caused one of the two power lines to crap out under ground?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
when you replace the spring replace both and make sure to add safety cables as it is REAL interesting to be inside a garage when the springs brake. I doubt the overload would mess with an underground cable. I think you are missing something. If you've never done a cable/spring the 1st time is a learning curve but doable...I'm sure you can find instructions on Youtube but it can be slightly dangerous. BE CAREFUL!!!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok Spring is broke that is part one.

Go to the electrical panel and switch each breaker that goes to the garage. If that does not fix it then.

1 How old is the house? Since the late 80's most places required a Ground Fault plug in a garage. There should be one plug that has buttons in the middle if not check the bathrooms and see if all the plugs work in them. If you find it then reset it. If it does not reset it might have bit the dust. If you know how to take a plug out and change it that is where I would start. If you don't know electrical or are not sure of it then call someone that you trust that knows it.

You may have a
bad ground Fault plug
Missing phase
Missing natural
Open plug this can be tested for pretty easy get a plug tester from Lowes or someplace like that plug it in and the lights on it will tell you what is going on.

Or like in one of my garages I had a light switch behind a cabinet thet got shut off and it killed most of my plugs. Previous owner wired it all wrong.

Good Luck

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey that might be it, didn't think of that. I have two outside outlets under two trees. They may be in that line that runs underground between the house and garage and have a reset button.
The lines from the double breaker leaving the house definitely have juice, used a tester.
I can't wait to get home and try it now.
I live in the sticks in Northern NH so it's a challenge getting help at home. I'm not going to attempt the torsion spring myself, it's an oversized garage and door up pretty high and lots of stuff online saying it can be dangerous but at least maybe I can get the electrical part sorted before a garage repair company comes.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well is it fixed? Hum

Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
im slightly disapointed that i didn't see a picture of a mustang shaped hole in a garage door upon opening this thread. :/
Old 01-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Not fixed yet. Can't find the electrical problem yet and waiting for spring repair on Friday.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
so, off the breaker going to the garage you measured 240 V across the two leads then each to ground and saw 120.

Go to garage and measure the same things but on the input side of the main breaker.

also with older houses like mine the power to my garage goes to the green house first...mayhap another panel is involved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar