Future of our V8s? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Future of our V8s?

I just saw an article describing Fords redesign for the 2017 Raptor, an iconic V8 muscle truck.
They were pretty clear..it's getting the Ecoboost 3.5 V6.
While that motor may be more powerful and have more torque and better fuel economy, it's not what that truck is about. If Ford is not concerned that Raptor enthusiasts like their V8s then what's in store for our future Mustang GT?
I better make my 2014 last if they're going to slap a turbo 6 in future models.
I already figured my kids or grandkids were going to be screwed driving an electric Mustang but jeez!
I don't JUST want a fast torqey Mustang....I want it to sound like a bad a$$ mother!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	173841  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I just saw an article describing Fords redesign for the 2017 Raptor, an iconic V8 muscle truck.
They were pretty clear..it's getting the Ecoboost 3.5 V6.
While that motor may be more powerful and have more torque and better fuel economy, it's not what that truck is about. If Ford is not concerned that Raptor enthusiasts like their V8s then what's in store for our future Mustang GT?
I better make my 2014 last if they're going to slap a turbo 6 in future models.
I already figured my kids or grandkids were going to be screwed driving an electric Mustang but jeez!
I don't JUST want a fast torqey Mustang....I want it to sound like a bad a$$ mother!

I wouldn't really go to lengths to say the same is going to happen. The Raptor hasn't been around for nearly as long as the Mustang and doesn't have anywhere near the same heritage.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
The 2015 raptor has a v8, look at Fords website.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
The 2015 raptor has a v8, look at Fords website.

yes but not the 2017
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Future of our V8s?

Correct, but it will make more power than the v8. What i dont get is if a v6 can be so potent, why cant a v8 do it better?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Correct, but it will make more power than the v8. What i dont get is if a v6 can be so potent, why cant a v8 do it better?

The purpose of the smaller turbocharged engine is for the power of the V8 but the fuel efficiency of the smaller motor. It'll be better than the 15mpg i think it gets now with the 6.2, and it'll make better power from the turbocharger. Yea a V8 Turbocharged would make more power, but it'll take up a lot more room, be a lot heavier, and get even worse mpg than a normal V8 (more air means more fuel)

HID end all thread
Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Iconic? Seriously? Are we really comparing how "iconic" the Raptor is to the Mustang? Even if the v8 stays a top of the line engine (Shelby, whatever), I could never see it being GONE. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with a tt6 as the GT, and a supercharged v8 or turbo 8 as the top of the line. Honestly, I doubt they will even toss the v8 from the GT. My guess is stop start, maybe even a hybrid drive train, before the v8 is gone from an entry model.

I just wonder how long it will be before Ford decides to cater to people looking for a great car, chasing performance, and let go of the few people who think the only engine has 8 cyclinders. If the GT came out with a TT6 pushing 500 HP, who would complain? NOT the people actually buying them lol

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Iconic? Seriously? Are we really comparing how "iconic" the Raptor is to the Mustang? Even if the v8 stays a top of the line engine (Shelby, whatever), I could never see it being GONE. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with a tt6 as the GT, and a supercharged v8 or turbo 8 as the top of the line. Honestly, I doubt they will even toss the v8 from the GT. My guess is stop start, maybe even a hybrid drive train, before the v8 is gone from an entry model.

I just wonder how long it will be before Ford decides to cater to people looking for a great car, chasing performance, and let go of the few people who think the only engine has 8 cyclinders. If the GT came out with a TT6 pushing 500 HP, who would complain? NOT the people actually buying them lol

I'm all for more efficiency with less. But i also still love the V8. Technology is getting better, V8s are getting better gas mileage and becoming lighter. There is no reason they can't keep it and make it better. Ford has never made money off the GT, they always make money from the V6 and now the EB4; so they can still continue that trend of having the lower displacement motors where they really get their money and then leave the V8 model for those who want it. As long as the V8 is there as an option i'm all good.

As for the truck. I'm all for the EB6 as the dominant motor, definitely a better way to go.

HID end all thread
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The purpose of the smaller turbocharged engine is for the power of the V8 but the fuel efficiency of the smaller motor. It'll be better than the 15mpg i think it gets now with the 6.2, and it'll make better power from the turbocharger. Yea a V8 Turbocharged would make more power, but it'll take up a lot more room, be a lot heavier, and get even worse mpg than a normal V8 (more air means more fuel)
^^^ This^^^

Case in point: look at the indy cars today. Their screaming smaller displacement engines (2.2 V6 and 2 liter 4's) can run well over 200 MPH at 8K RPM for hours.

Not saying we have to give up our V8's; I think that's a long ways off. Since Dodge has put a serious V8 back into the street car war, you won't see any of the big three leaving the V8 platform anytime soon.

Enjoy.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

They wont get rid of the v8, at least not anytime soon. They are working on a new design. I think they are calling it voodoo, and it has some European technology.

http://articles.sae.org/13709/

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

one thing i do know they are only going to get faster.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

So says the man modding his 2012 V6 to look like a GT.
Hey, the twin turbo V6 would be faster, more fuel efficient etc. Yes! But some of us like our V8 Mustang.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Ford will keep the V8 for those who want the rumble of that engine. For those who want performance in the near future, the echoboost 6 will be where its at. That ecoboost 3.5 V6 will offer higher performance over the future V8 models which works for me. I couldn't care less. Bring on the ecoboost V6
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So says the man modding his 2012 V6 to look like a GT...
Lol. That's all I have to say
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

^lol+1
Old 01-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So says the man modding his 2012 V6 to look like a GT.
Hey, the twin turbo V6 would be faster, more fuel efficient etc. Yes! But some of us like our V8 Mustang.
Yes, the GT front end has a better coefficient of drag by .02, and the v6 has the goofy Mazda smile- and for $200 for a Roush fascia (which allegedly has an even lower CD, but I haven't seen any legitimate data on that) with fog lights, and lower partial grille block, I couldn't pass it up- you got me!

Again, the Mustang is going after overall performance. I agree with most of these points, and I do hope they keep the v8 just for the people who like it- but I would not be surprised if they replace it with a more efficient design that can deliver better performance. Eventual (15-25 years) hybrid AWD layout, stop start, tt6, so on. It's just the way of the performance automobile.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Eco/Turbo V6 is going to be rape on wheels vs even the current very powerful NA V8s. Lets see... more power, better gas mileage, way more modifiable because of said turbo(s). Not sure what is not to like. Oh, not is not a V8... no more "rumble". Can't tell you how many ******bags on the road have the loudest possible exhaust V8 there is and their car can't even break into the 13s. Loud does not=better. I'll take the overall much better platform which is going to be the 3.5L Eco.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I don't care about 1/4 mile times, gas mileage and saving the planet.
I would like to enjoy classic American muscle V8 Fords before I'm gone, the oil is gone or they're illegal.
They are fun. They make me smile. Some sound too loud and can be annoying but never as annoying as a fart can civic at 2 a.m.
You just described this car below: I don't want a Ford with a JDM motor.
You can't tell me you don't like the comments from people from all walks of life, young and old when they admire your mustang at the stop and rob.
That never happened to me driving a Honda,BMW, Mercedes,Saab,Nissan etc.
I don't live for other people's envy or admiration but it sure ain't bad either.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	73
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	174118  
Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ford killed the Cougar in 2002 after only 3 years of a new design to appeal to younger buyers, featuring new efficient four and six cylinder motors and no V8. They de-nutted it and she croaked forever.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	71
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	174121  
Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The sooner ford realizes that muscle car lovers arent necessarily sensible about what they drive, the sooner they make money.
Ford didnt just kill the cougar because nobody was buying. It wasnt exactly a sensation, but it did sell. Think about all the other cars ford was making, it just didnt make any sense to keep it around. Saves sooo much money to focus on fewer cars. I believe they used the design elements on the new focus and taurus. Why we need the taurus still, i dont know.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford killed the Cougar in 2002 after only 3 years of a new design to appeal to younger buyers, featuring new efficient four and six cylinder motors and no V8. They de-nutted it and she croaked forever.
I'm sure being front wheel drive had nothing to do with it.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The cougar and contour svt actually had/ have a pretty decent following and are good performers for the time.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The sooner ford realizes that muscle car lovers arent necessarily sensible about what they drive, the sooner they make money.
Ford didnt just kill the cougar because nobody was buying. It wasnt exactly a sensation, but it did sell. Think about all the other cars ford was making, it just didnt make any sense to keep it around. Saves sooo much money to focus on fewer cars. I believe they used the design elements on the new focus and taurus. Why we need the taurus still, i dont know.

The challenger is a great example of that philosophy. Build a 40+ year old car, now...of course everyone wants what we discontinued so long ago! Just doing the same thing over and over doesn't work. The people buying them are the ones who couldn't afford them then, or gave them away because of nonsense, like children and families. Now that they are geriatric, they can afford them!

Seriously, the challenger is a great example of just repeating the same thing as before. Compare challenger sales to Mustang or Camaro. Granted the Mustang has had weak times, it will continue to last because it continues to grow. The end of a car starts with the end of development. Bigger engine isn't development. Swapping in some LEDs isn't development. Ford knows what they are doing, any although I may not agree all the time, they are still smarter and more experienced than me. They'll take care of themselves.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If Ford could make copies of the '65 and '68 mustangs with all modern internals, they would sell the f*** out! I would sell everything and buy both of them, and then proceed to spill future generations.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
People might b*tch about the Raptor not having a v8 option but I can guarantee they'll be the first ones throwing down 20% and paying +10k markup do get into one. Simply because the Raptor is part of their image. The true gearheads probably won't buy one.

As far as the small FI v6's vs the v8's...
As a previous 3.5 Ecoboost F150 owner and a current 5.0 F150 owner I can say both have their strengths and weaknesses.
The EB had more low end grunt, virtually no turbo lag and I averaged +23mpg 7 months out of the year.
The 5.0 just doesn't feel as quick, probably due to 40 less ft, lbs,, but it's still quick for a 1/2 ton truck. Mileage is only ~19.5, but at only 5k miles it's too early to tell. Plus it's hard to beat that v8 rumble. Sure the twins on the EB sounded sick, especially the electronic BOV, but it still had that high pitched v6 sound at WOT.

At the end of the day, there's no denying a small displacement v6 making 420 foot pounds at 1900 RPMS capable of towing 10,000 lbs is damn impressive..no one 20 years ago would've fathomed a 87 octane gas engine capable of that straight from the factory.

Will the mustang ever be without a v8 again? Doubt it, I think Ford learned that lesson back in 74. I do believe Ford is innovative enough to meet or beat the ridiculous CAFE regulations with a v8 engine.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^^ This^^^

Case in point: look at the indy cars today. Their screaming smaller displacement engines (2.2 V6 and 2 liter 4's) can run well over 200 MPH at 8K RPM for hours.

Not saying we have to give up our V8's; I think that's a long ways off. Since Dodge has put a serious V8 back into the street car war, you won't see any of the big three leaving the V8 platform anytime soon.

Enjoy.
An even better example is the fact that Roush Yates has stopped using the 5.0 for road racing applications in favor of their new EcoBoost 3.5 V6 that shares most of the top end and a block with the factory cars. That engine powered the Ganassi prototype that won the 24 Hours of Daytona this month. It maybe another decade, but Ford sells way too many Mustang GT's to have them be a V8 for too many more regulatory cycles. Their options will be to double the price of the GT to discourage purchases, or to move that engine up the line to the lowest volume model, and have a more capable descendant of the 3.5 EcoBoost in the GT. Another factor pointing to this outcome is the new GT supercar having one of these EcoBoost six cylinder engines (arguably a much more offensive move).
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I do think we will see smaller V8's in the future now those could use twin screws and have less weight and possibly make more power.

Yet there is no replacement for dispacement!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
I do think we will see smaller V8's in the future now those could use twin screws and have less weight and possibly make more power.

Yet there is no replacement for dispacement!
Oh, there is a replacement for displacement. Its called technology and progress but Ford still wants to keep its V8 enthusiasts happy. Ford could make an 800 HP V6 mustang and the V8 enthusiasts would only by a 550 HP V8.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

If I wanted a fast, high torque, high horsepower, great handling 6 cylinder car, there are already dozens on the market and have been for some time.
I want a no nonsense V8 in a Ford...without a latte machine or hot and cold cup holders. No blow off valves or exhaust whistles, no faked in engine enhancement sounds, no iPhone, iPad 10 inch video integrated whatever.
Just a Mustang that can play a little "Thunderstruck" and shake windows downtown.

There will always be a market for THAT car. And when it's no longer available in a Mustang. Why would I buy one? The outstanding Ford quality, fit and finish in a pony car? The craftsmanship and fine details? Yeah right.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

If ford got rid of the v8 in the ford gt and went with a twin turbo v6 for there supercar, it is only a matter of time before they do it to the mustang also.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redzo6 View Post
If ford got rid of the v8 in the ford gt and went with a twin turbo v6 for there supercar, it is only a matter of time before they do it to the mustang also.
Sadly that the truth if the Raptor is losing its V8 it will only be a matter of time better buy a real Mustang while you can!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

i think ford should make a come back of old mustangs and would probaly highly profit from this idea. they should design the next mustang exactly after the 69 mustang same body just with a face lift inside same 69 body shape new 5.0 coyote engines and newer hardware inside like radio and such. dosnt have to be all that complicated with screens buttons everywhere and lights just simple yet as realiable as a new car is. with disc brakes power steering and such. money making idea for ford
Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconve View Post
i think ford should make a come back of old mustangs and would probaly highly profit from this idea. they should design the next mustang exactly after the 69 mustang same body just with a face lift inside same 69 body shape new 5.0 coyote engines and newer hardware inside like radio and such. dosnt have to be all that complicated with screens buttons everywhere and lights just simple yet as realiable as a new car is. with disc brakes power steering and such. money making idea for ford
Yeah but teenage girls wouldn't buy them nor would the Baby Boomers who they aim the retro designs at.

Nobody wants a pure drivers machine back in the day Porsche execs asked why Americans wanted cup holders in the 911.

Limited base would probably cost twice that of a base Mustang GT so I wouldn't see Ford put it on the market.

Even though we would love to have one the .01% of the buying public.

I love a old school vehicle no doubt I just have a dislike of the carb. Yet on my daily commute having children, a wife, the modern conveniences of newer vehicles are great. We drove a Ford Fusion Titanium back in December that car was great for a day driver I must say hands free rocked whole checking on family during our trip.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Think back to the 1969 Mustang. There were two 6-cyl options, the 200 and 250 along with six V-8s, the 302W, Boss 302, 351W & 351C-2v & 4v, 390, 428CJ and Boss 429. Amazing!
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

just imagine instead of being a 69 fastback it would be the 2017 flashback and look like a old school mustang but run like a new.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar