what do you others in the north with snow do in the winters? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Michigan
what do you others in the north with snow do in the winters?

this has been bothering me more in the recent years. before i would store my stang during the winter and drive my ford ranger (its old but still in great condition) but then on a clearer day i would see people in their mustangs and camaros and get so angry when they looked at me and thought "oh he just has a ranger" so couple years ago i decided to get snow tires on my stock rims and wear em for winter, but on the first clear day a challenger pulled up next to me and just from the look on his face he basically said "ew, can't believe you got stock rims =|"

so i said f it, and the next day put on my nice wheels, and almost crashed badly, so i said screw this its not worth losing my car and went back to the winter wheels.

but JUST AN HOUR AGO i saw another guy in a stang smirk at me, but he was rocking stock wheels too.

so do you guys just store mustang in the winter? what do u do when you see other mustangs and they see you not in a mustang?

do you wear snow wheels? what do you do when another mustang or camaro sees you with stock wheels?

funny how this life works, lot of times you get screwed no matter what you do. (another reason i dont wanna store in the winter is cus that means almost half the year i wont be able to drive my mustang, and life is only 100 years max if you are lucky, msot of us will die way before that, and i dont want to spend half of whats left with my mustang in the garage.

and in perspective 100 years is only about 36,500 days, which is not a lot if you think about it and how fast each day can go by.

also im not worried about rust cus my ranger has seen about 20 winters and still going strong with 0 rust on the painted body (i rubber coated the undercarriage, though the driveshaft and etc is a bit rusty, but thats common with ford cars and even rain water will rust that.) I wash the car every week, week 1 touchless, week 2 10 quarter spray, in rotation. and my old ranger is in better condition and looks cleaner than a lot of newer cars out there whose owners wash once a year at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Manaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I'm in Northern NH and I drive mine daily all year. Why not? Hell I'm in my 40s and you never know when your time is up. Who am I saving this car for? Water, ice and salt won't make it explode or fall apart. When Spring comes, I'll scrub the heck out of it and buff the paint. I don't use a scraper or brush off the snow, it might scratch.
I worked hard for a car like this, I'm going to enjoy it. I've got aftermarket decent looking black wheels with snow tires. I get around just fine just like everyone else in the world before front wheel drive cars. Don't forget cops for decades had to rely on just a rear drive crown Vic.
I moved here from a warmer place a few years back and I can't believe the general opinion that Mustangs HAVE to be stored and babied all winter.
WHO HAS THE MONEY FOR THAT? Really?? Insuring and paying for a car that's under a blanket in a garage for 5 months? Sometimes when people ask..."omg why isn't that thing put up for the winter?" My response is..."It's a Ford man! Not some foo foo Bugati or rare collectable that increases in value"!
I bought this car because I enjoy driving it! Even not horsing it and taking it easy.
When I'm at work and it's 2 hours left to go....I start getting stoked cause I get to drive my GT home! Rain, snow or sunshine. EV REE DAY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	174660  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I'm in Northern NH and I drive mine daily all year. Why not? Hell I'm in my 40s and you never know when your time is up. Who am I saving this car for? Water, ice and salt won't make it explode or fall apart. When Spring comes, I'll scrub the heck out of it and buff the paint. I don't use a scraper or brush off the snow, it might scratch.
I worked hard for a car like this, I'm going to enjoy it. I've got aftermarket decent looking black wheels with snow tires. I get around just fine just like everyone else in the world before front wheel drive cars. Don't forget cops for decades had to rely on just a rear drive crown Vic.
I moved here from a warmer place a few years back and I can't believe the general opinion that Mustangs HAVE to be stored and babied all winter.
WHO HAS THE MONEY FOR THAT? Really?? Insuring and paying for a car that's under a blanket in a garage for 5 months? Sometimes when people ask..."omg why isn't that thing put up for the winter?" My response is..."It's a Ford man! Not some foo foo Bugati or rare collectable that increases in value"!
I bought this car because I enjoy driving it! Even not horsing it and taking it easy.
When I'm at work and it's 2 hours left to go....I start getting stoked cause I get to drive my GT home! Rain, snow or sunshine. EV REE DAY
Im in NJ, and all I can say is 'AMEN", cause I say and do exactly as you said.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Also, a 13 or 14 V6 was going the other direction passing me the other day...I felt good seeing it out being driven. These cars aren't fancy. They're rugged mean looking beasts with sweet motors, no matter which one. Let's enjoy them but also do what we can to keep them nice looking.
How can somebody take theirs to a car show all immaculate and receive a trophy for basically just polishing it in a garage all its life. Drive that thing! And when it's toast...buy another one!
That's like having a gorgeous nympho wife and keeping her at home in the kitchen wearing an apron.
Not me, I'm dying with a smile on my face. And Mustang keys on the nightstand.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
glad I am able to store mine and drive the truck.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

Oh what a great feeling this morning, watching others with their FWD cars trying to get out of parking spots, while I get out with 2 or 3 reverse and forward moves. Best money I spent so far was for the Blizzaks I got. Slow careful driving, and no problems, and with ice on roads no less.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
Oh what a great feeling this morning, watching others with their FWD cars trying to get out of parking spots, while I get out with 2 or 3 reverse and forward moves. Best money I spent so far was for the Blizzaks I got. Slow careful driving, and no problems, and with ice on roads no less.
no joke, people say mustangs suck on snow, but with snow tires i would say they are better than most cars on the road right now. I got good year snow tires and drove this morning and love how I float right over packed unshovled snow. I had my summer wheels on last 2 months and even though im back on stock wheels, it feels heavenly.
Manaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaan View Post
no joke, people say mustangs suck on snow, but with snow tires i would say they are better than most cars on the road right now. I got good year snow tires and drove this morning and love how I float right over packed unshovled snow. I had my summer wheels on last 2 months and even though im back on stock wheels, it feels heavenly.
Yes sir,
That's the ticket, having dedicated snow tires, if I had all seasons, I would think it's just as bad as summer tires.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
i only have racing tires, & I can't even get out of the driveway lol
i see a few stangs in the winter, & they seem to drive fine
but... i am too chicken to risk getting into an accident
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I personally store my GT. I don't feel like buying a new set of stockers and snow tires for it, so I place the car on "hibernation" insurance. Basically i pay a few bucks a month, and if it's stolen, roof falls on the car, or it spontaneously combusts, it's covered. I used to drive my sixxer all year round, and it wasn't too bad. Made it through the blizzard of 2011, so i cant complain. I know for a fact my GT wouldn't have made it through the blizzard we had yesterday. But i see plenty of other mustangs trying to brave the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i subjected my mustang through 2 harsh Canadian winters before i bought my Audi. My mustang drove great in the snow with winter tires, but i am now free to modify my mustang to the extreme without having to worry about driving it daily now.

If i were you OP i wouldn't worry about what others thought of you while driving your ranger during winter. It's not like you can use your mustang to it's full potential in the winter anyway. i hated that about winter, i had to feather the throttle all of the time and it got really annoying not being able to just gun it when i wanted. Just wait patiently and the glory of spring/summer will come soon enough and you can enjoy your car everyday. That's basically what i'm doing.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm up in Winnipeg Canada and I store my 2014 GT for the winter but i have a 2003 King ranch. winter tires do help any car thou. Why do u care what people think? just enjoy ur car or ranger.
dinobike19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I'm in Wis. Put the car away the end of Oct. and probably won't be back out till April. Just couldn't drive such a great car in the salt and slop. I know some folks have no choice. I always feel bad when I see these nice cars decorated in "salt" white. Really does a number on the chassis.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I'm in Wis. Put the car away the end of Oct. and probably won't be back out till April. Just couldn't drive such a great car in the salt and slop. I know some folks have no choice. I always feel bad when I see these nice cars decorated in "salt" white. Really does a number on the chassis.
Same here. They hibernate October to late March-early April depending on weather. I drove my 03 V6 one winter in high school 60 miles to and from Wisconsin Rapids. It wasn't that bad but I didn't want to trash a new car I saved up for and bought myself.

To the OP, I usually get the itch real bad mid Jan. to early Feb. and it's even worse now that I have two cars in storage waiting for spring, but there's no way I'll pull either car out to drive mid winter. Having to wait helps appreciate them more come spring time.

I see plenty of people driving their v6 mustangs and some v8's, but it really doesn't bother me to not be in mine, not in this weather. Besides, my '14 F150 FX4 has all the comforts and V8 power I need. Hell I bet it'd give the older v6/v8 mustangs around here a good run at the light lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

And I agree with what others have said. Who cares what some jackass thinks sitting next to you. I'd be smirking back because I have a different vehicle to drive in winter and don't have to drive my nice mustang in that sh*t.

Don't forget, there's a good chance the guy sitting behind you wishes he had a mustang to drive period, winter or not.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Same here. They hibernate October to late March-early April depending on weather. I drove my 03 V6 one winter in high school 60 miles to and from Wisconsin Rapids. It wasn't that bad but I didn't want to trash a new car I saved up for and bought myself.

To the OP, I usually get the itch real bad mid Jan. to early Feb. and it's even worse now that I have two cars in storage waiting for spring, but there's no way I'll pull either car out to drive mid winter. Having to wait helps appreciate them more come spring time.

I see plenty of people driving their v6 mustangs and some v8's, but it really doesn't bother me to not be in mine, not in this weather. Besides, my '14 F150 FX4 has all the comforts and V8 power I need. Hell I bet it'd give the older v6/v8 mustangs around here a good run at the light lol.

I'm with you fellow Wisconsinites. I have three cars in storage. Be prepared, though. This subject has been beat to death out here and we will catch flack from most for not just driving them through all the salt and snow because as others put it, "They are only cars. Just drive them and buy a new one when the time comes." A sentiment I do not share.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I'm with you fellow Wisconsinites. I have three cars in storage. Be prepared, though. This subject has been beat to death out here and we will catch flack from most for not just driving them through all the salt and snow because as others put it, "They are only cars. Just drive them and buy a new one when the time comes." A sentiment I do not share.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
I hear ya. I do think it's all preference. If I really wanted I would drive my cars year round, or make the v6 the winter car and store the Mach 1. I can tell you I'd probably have a low mileage Terminator/GT500 or a newer built 5.0 GT if I wasn't paying for a new F150.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Getting them back out makes the coming of spring more exciting!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar