best way to wash car in self service wash? (the ones with the quarters and hose) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Road Trip!
Region: Michigan
best way to wash car in self service wash? (the ones with the quarters and hose)

I know its not an ideal wash but i try to visit a self service weekly to get the winter grime off my car. whats the best method? I never have and never will put a towel to my car (except when i take it to a local professional detail shop) so this is what i do, what do you think?

1. I soak the car in the "soap" selection
2. Rinse with "wax" selection (i rinse with wax selection cus i figure its mostly water anyways, I doubt they would stay in business long letting people hose away gallons of wax =|
3. then i do "spot free rinse" selection and use the remaining time to mist over the car.

self service washes aren't perfect I know, but I just do it for regular consistent of the car in winter (on warmer days I do my regular wash), is there anything else you would recommend to change on my 3 steps?

Manaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Region: Connecticut

bring lots of qtrs and keep an eye on time
I avoid the brush (scratches!) and just get the majority of the grime off
whatever soap they use does NOT rinse easy I just use rinse NO wax
most important! rubber gloves and waterproof shoes will make the cold easier to tolerate.

New England Fall Cruise Nov 5th!
PM RoboStang or me for details....lets go for a ride
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: New Hampshire
It's been so cold here that they've had those wash places closed. I've heard to just leave it be anyways because the water activates the salt that's dried and frozen on the car.
I'll just wait until temps are above 32 again to wash it.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin
We always had 2 of us. One person on the hose the other with a bucket of soapy water(which we usually took with us).
Get the car sprayed clean with hose, at least be sure its wet. The start washing and the other person rinsing.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar