So is California like... out of water? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yep. Phoenix and the entire Los Angeles basin.

If you travel the Southwest, there are large communities that the ancient Native Americans abandoned for no apparent reason. A lack of water will displace any human population...
Yeah and I mean look at all the biggest cities in history, all by a major water source. Those people from back in the day might have been onto something...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I feel like prices won't really go up for vegetables here in central Washington but we shall see.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I feel like prices won't really go up for vegetables here in central Washington but we shall see.

Don't be so sure. Even if your area produces a lot of food... supply/demand will drive prices up if California's output goes down.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

It will mostly affect the winter prices because CA, and the Southwest, are the "greenhouse" for America. Due to the climate.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
It will mostly affect the winter prices because CA, and the Southwest, are the "greenhouse" for America. Due to the climate.
Western Washington would be pretty screwed for sure. I would imagine eastern Washington would stop exporting so much if Californai crapped out on us. Dessert climate can not sustain that much population though. That is for sure

Old 04-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Western Washington would be pretty screwed for sure. I would imagine eastern Washington would stop exporting so much if Californai crapped out on us. Dessert climate can not sustain that much population though. That is for sure

Mmmmmmmmm Dessert climate....

Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #42
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Mmmmmmmmm Dessert climate....
Damn. I always do that too lol

Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #43
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I don't want to thread-jack, but what products are you using specifically? I live in the swampy south so water isn't an issue, but water spots are (well-water sucks so bad down here).

Right now my car is covered a lot so when it comes off I just need a quick wipe of waterless wash or detail spray. If it does get dirty enough then Rinseless wash. Adams products

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Damn. I always do that too lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homersimpson471.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	178988  

Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Don't be so sure. Even if your area produces a lot of food... supply/demand will drive prices up if California's output goes down.
Not if you shop only locally produced goods. It's what I prefer. I do what I can not to give money to anything that could benefit cali. It would be nice if the water situation could have some resolve in the country however.
I looked for that documentary on Netflix but they don't have it yet.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

I like locally produced too. Lots of farmstands around here. And not for any other reason than it supports local businesses and my Parents are friends with one of the larger family farming operations around here.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Our drinking water comes from a man made lake.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Right now my car is covered a lot so when it comes off I just need a quick wipe of waterless wash or detail spray. If it does get dirty enough then Rinseless wash. Adams products

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Just got out of my 90 min shower here in CT. What to do with all this water...what to do...
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Just got out of my 90 min shower here in CT. What to do with all this water...what to do...
Hush Paintman!?!?!!
Don't let Los Angeles hear of this!

They'll want to build a pipeline to CT, to "capture" all of that wasted water!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Is it bad that thought crossed my mind in the shower the other day lol?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #52
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
🌊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428379500849.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	179308  
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

From what iv read and have heard it's mostly farmers using all the water.... Almost 60% of water is used by farmers and they aren't very wise about it. A lot of farmers use a "flood irrigation" system which is literally flooding fields and trying to pump the water out of the ground afterwards. Welllllll doesn't work like that and like a few have said there just isn't enough water for all the people in California which has lowered the water table which is drying up all the wells And to the remarks about the coast well that's salt water and you know what happens when you drink salt water. But they are working a giant desalination plant in so-cal one of the biggest actually

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...t-goes-up-near
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

At the west end of the Salinas Valley (Where it meets the Pacific Ocean) there have been problems with salt water intrusion into the agricultural wells for a couple of decades. They actually built a pipeline to draw water from a river, about 20 miles inland, and pump the water back into wells near the affected areas... To push the salt water back into the ocean.
That particular farmland is highly productive so I suppose that it is worth the effort.

Farmers, for the most part, are pretty good stewards of their land. Especially modern day farmers. They know better than anyone that if there is no water, they can't grow anything.
I doubt that there are very many farmers who "flood irrigate" anymore. Although I know that it used to be a very common practice in certain areas. With the exception of rice, that is. It is the only way that you can grow it! And I noticed last year, the rice farmers where only growing in about half of the fields. None of the farmers in the Salinas Valley have ever flood irrigated... There has never been enough water for that.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
You mean we're going to run out of water before we run out of oil?
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #56
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
You mean we're going to run out of water before we run out of oil?
If you research a little (I had to do a bunch of research on sustainability for an environmental policy part of my BA and will likely have to do more for my MA) you'll see that a LOT of places out west are going to run out of water very soon or have to drastically change the way they manage it in the next 10-20 years or they WILL run out, its simple math. I mean yeah, people like Soccer would know better than me because they live there but there are already towns in Cali where you turn on your faucet and nothing comes out... eff that noise...

Even my Parents who want to retire to New Mexico asked "how long until the aquifers start to get depleted" as one of the first questions about moving out there. Apparently they have till 2040 out in Albuquerque before the aquifers will start to lose water so they are good but that's not exactly common out in those parts.

edit: And yes I will continue to enjoy my glorious super long hot showers since I'm currently not paying for any utilities in base housing and our reservoirs are totally topped off after all the precip we got this winter

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #57
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Drinking water shortage will not be an issue; it just may become more expensive. The military has been converting salt water into drinking water for years, as well as water we all would be afraid to step into. It just costs to run the equipment to do the conversion/filtration process. With the earth having 2/3rds of its surface covered with oceans, we can have dringing water coming out of our wazoo.

No doubt, they will figure a way to tax this too. If money can be made, a way will be found.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #58
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Drinking water shortage will not be an issue; it just may become more expensive. The military has been converting salt water into drinking water for yers, as well as water we all would be afraid to step into. It just costs to run the equipment to do the conversion.

No doubt, they will figure a way to tax this too. If money can be made, a way will be found.
Yes and no. They will find a way for ppl with money to keep living in the upscale places for sure... but we are going to see a mass exodus of "average" people if they can't get a handle on the water situation as it stands and do it soon. Its already happening in some areas of the west and I know California weather is amazing in some parts but... those parts were never intended to support the populations they do.

And also watching a marathon of "Flip or Flop" on HGTV which is in SoCal and it seems pretty much every other house they do has a pool right where they've always had water issues. WTH?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #59
Admin

Supporter
Admin

LOL...pools; how often are they really used? More like a middle income status symbol.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
LOL...pools; how often are they really used? More like a middle income status symbol.
Lol correct, and a full time job to clean it and $100-$200 extra per month in power bills in the summer when you already are getting pounded by the electric company for AC.

I hate pools... "why yes I would love to jump into a chlorine water/snot/sweat/spit/probably pee mixture with a bunch of other people." Then again, I'll swim in the ocean so I'm a complete hypocrite lol.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #61
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Same here. Fish swim in their own toliet, so why not us swimming in a lake or ocean?

When I was a youngster, my parents house had a pool; my dad did not allow us to cannonball or splash water out, unless we had a rain storm and dad needed to get water out without back flushing. Those were the best pool swim days!

Other then that, I'd stay out of the pool and swim at the local lake instead; my friends parents had a house on that lake; we'd water ski and have a blast. Pool would be vacant. I think that old houses pool got filled in with dirt, as its new owners got tired of maintaining it.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

My wife's grandparents have a pool that was installed in the 70s. Its a wooden frame inground pool and somehow is still fine every year when he takes the cover off. Every now and then he has to get some permatex and re-seal a section where the liner starts to peel. He threatened to fill it in every year until about 3 years ago when my daughter started to really understand conversations and goes "poppy don't you dare" and that was the end of those threats lol.

But they really do waste water/power like a sonofa*****. Going on Google Earth and looking down on a Cali/Nevada/Arizona neighborhood and every other house has a pool... in the middle of a desert... real smart...

Old 04-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Drinking water shortage will not be an issue; it just may become more expensive. The military has been converting salt water into drinking water for years, as well as water we all would be afraid to step into. It just costs to run the equipment to do the conversion/filtration process. With the earth having 2/3rds of its surface covered with oceans, we can have dringing water coming out of our wazoo.

There are desalination plant projects all along the Pacific coast. These plants typically cost upwards of a quarter of a billion dollars and raise the cost of water by more than 40%.
Every little bit helps, but in reality, the amount of water produced by these plants can be compared to a little boy pissing in the Mississippi river.
The problem isn't with the desal plants themselves, it has to do more with the energy to run them. Not only is CA starved for water, it is also starved for energy! The state has been subject to "Rolling Blackouts", in the summer, for several years.
There are a lot of ways remaining to conserve water that people won't like. This state has a lot of landscaping that is beautiful, but requires a lot water to maintain. There has to be more than a thousand golf courses in CA. Everyone wants to have the greenest front lawn on the block. Parks, landscaping along the freeways... It all requires a lot of water!
We may have to let some of CA revert back to it's natural desert-like state.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
There are desalination plant projects all along the Pacific coast. These plants typically cost upwards of a quarter of a billion dollars and raise the cost of water by more than 40%.
Every little bit helps, but in reality, the amount of water produced by these plants can be compared to a little boy pissing in the Mississippi river.
The problem isn't with the desal plants themselves, it has to do more with the energy to run them. Not only is CA starved for water, it is also starved for energy! The state has been subject to "Rolling Blackouts", in the summer, for several years.
There are a lot of ways remaining to conserve water that people won't like. This state has a lot of landscaping that is beautiful, but requires a lot water to maintain. There has to be more than a thousand golf courses in CA. Everyone wants to have the greenest front lawn on the block. Parks, landscaping along the freeways... It all requires a lot of water!
We may have to let some of CA revert back to it's natural desert-like state.
This this this this this this x1000. Sorry people, you live in a desert climate, drinking water is way more important than Hank Hill having the greenest lawn on the block. I mean look at ppl in other states like Nevada and NM. Dirt yards or they put down stone or artificial turf... because they live in a desert...

If you look at grass from a resource usage perspective... its actually TERRIBLE and we'd save a lot of power/utilities/water if people just didn't have grass lawns. Yeah yeah I sound like a socialist or I'd get accused of it by certain individuals but there comes a point where if you want to live in society, you're going to have to pitch in to the social good.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Just another reason why I'm thankful I don't live in California. You can have your nice beeches, smog, water restrictions, earthquakes, emission restrictions, tree huggers and leave me on the upper east coast. Granted the weather ain't great but I'll take it over California any day of the week.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

$500 fine if caught in my town washing your car without a shutoff nozzle on hose!
All our lakes are low, governor issued an executive order regarding water conservation recently.

Having a pool actually uses less water per year than having a lawn (even if you completely drain and fill the pool once). As I have thought about filling mine more than once. Now im prepping to remodel ours in a few months.

What's strange is although cali hasn't seen good rain in years, we also haven't seen much of the triple digit summer's either, which used to be annual.

Still proud to live here, very few places to offer the cities, mountains, rivers, farmland, deserts, ocean, and lakes (low or not) that we have here.

Oh ya, and I still hose down the sidewalk and driveway whenever the heck I want. **** the man !

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

I would still rather live in any other state in the pnw lol

Old 04-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I would still rather live in any other state in the pnw lol

"Pacwest is best"

If I had to pick up and live somewhere other than the Northeast, it would be straight to McChord AFB (near Seattle) for work and the surrounding area there for a house. Just have to stay the hell out of the danger zone of an active volcano but no biggie lol.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #69
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
"Pacwest is best"

If I had to pick up and live somewhere other than the Northeast, it would be straight to McChord AFB (near Seattle) for work and the surrounding area there for a house. Just have to stay the hell out of the danger zone of an active volcano but no biggie lol.
Meh I like the desert of central Washington better. Lotsssssssss of liberals over on the coast. Actually makes it hard to pass anything beneficial for The east side

Old 04-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I'm in the desert, down bellow southern California! Palm Springs to be exact and we literally have golf clubs, fields every street ! Everyone has a lawn! For God sakes there is a water park down my street! If we basically raised the prices on water we wouldn't have that issue. Gasoline is a ***** why not charge more for water. People just don't value it, it's a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Tags
california