Minimal A/C? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Minimal A/C?

Am I the only one who uses their A/C sparingly?
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Why?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm the same. I rather minimize it's use than chance it going out prematurely on me. And I'm in tx so it can be rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona010 View Post
I'm the same. I rather minimize it's use than chance it going out prematurely on me. And I'm in tx so it can be rough.

Me to!! Mine blows ice cold, but it takes it a while. Plus I just love summer.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:

Using it sparingly for this reason is actually going to be worse. Not using the A/C prevents the A/C clutch oil from circulating, and can cause the seals to dry out. This in turn will create freon leaks. For this reason, auto manufacturers designed the A/C system to operate during winter months whenever you run the windshield defroster; you most likely adjust the temp switch to blend in warmer air from the heater to aid in defrost, but the A/C system runs, helping to operate the A/C clutch and to circulate the clutch oil within it.

Run it. Todays A/C clutches are not anywhere near like the old "monolith" compressors of the 60's,70's, or 80's. The new ones have a very low paristic drag on your engine, and you'll actually get yours to last longer by using it.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting. I'll use it here in there then. I just got mine a couple of months ago and just thought babying it would be best for long term use since I don't know exactly how it was treated before me.

kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Interesting. I'll use it here in there then. I just got mine a couple of months ago and just thought babying it would be best for long term use since I don't know exactly how it was treated before me.

Amen! Plus having a vert I just love the open air. I live for summer. 90 degrees and windows open, just is the best feeling ever!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:01 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Question to my fellow vert owners. Do you guys get sweaty backs with the top down cause big boy here does 😁
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Question to my fellow vert owners. Do you guys get sweaty backs with the top down cause big boy here does 😁
I did on my cloth seats. I can't imagine what it would be like with leather seats

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

It sucks lol. I hardly ever put my top down during the summer cause of that
Old 04-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have to turn the ac off before turning your car off. My dad constantly tells me to do so when he rides with me. Says that starting it with the ac on is bad for the engine. I don't see how just curious though.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrdnsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post

I do it's not too bad for me usually.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnsky59 View Post
Do you have to turn the ac off before turning your car off. My dad constantly tells me to do so when he rides with me. Says that starting it with the ac on is bad for the engine. I don't see how just curious though.

I do, but no one has ever told me it's bad.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnsky59 View Post

I turn it off before i turn off the car and on after its been turned on. My dad told me that
Old 04-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Using it sparingly for this reason is actually going to be worse. Not using the A/C prevents the A/C clutch oil from circulating, and can cause the seals to dry out. This in turn will create freon leaks. For this reason, auto manufacturers designed the A/C system to operate during winter months whenever you run the windshield defroster; you most likely adjust the temp switch to blend in warmer air from the heater to aid in defrost, but the A/C system runs, helping to operate the A/C clutch and to circulate the clutch oil within it.

Run it. Todays A/C clutches are not anywhere near like the old "monolith" compressors of the 60's,70's, or 80's. The new ones have a very low paristic drag on your engine, and you'll actually get yours to last longer by using it.

Very good information... And very true.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Florida gets the "Africa hot" summers, and the humidity will make it worse. My wife and I used to love the cruising to the beach with the convertible down; now we enjoy the A/C on the way to the lake with jet skis in tow (in the truck)!

Think about the last time you read a post about someones A/C failing because they used it; and used it too much?!?

I am one of those that turns it off along with the radio before I shut down the engine; this is more likely just an old habit from back in the day when the A/C compressors where huge monolith, double piston designs that would drop the engine RPM by 2 to 3 hundred when activated. I did it to allow a cold engine to warm up with the choke (anyone remember a choke/carb?). Once the engine idle settled down to its warmed up RPM, the A/C would be operated by me.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
old enough to remember (owned) manual choke cars.

Old enough to have forgotten about them too.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Florida gets the "Africa hot" summers, and the humidity will make it worse. My wife and I used to love the cruising to the beach with the convertible down; now we enjoy the A/C on the way to the lake with jet skis in tow (in the truck)!

Think about the last time you read a post about someones A/C failing because they used it; and used it too much?!?

I am one of those that turns it off along with the radio before I shut down the engine; this is more likely just an old habit from back in the day when the A/C compressors where huge monolith, double piston designs that would drop the engine RPM by 2 to 3 hundred when activated. I did it to allow a cold engine to warm up with the choke (anyone remember a choke/carb?). Once the engine idle settled down to its warmed up RPM, the A/C would be operated by me.

It's funny you say that. My grandparents and my parents are the same way they always go windows up A/C on. I love the warm air and sweat dripping down my back.

I also don't live in Central Florida, but I have been down there enough in June and July to relate.

I guess when you didn't have the option before, it's something you enjoy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

That's funny. Certainly different times now days.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

I still drive a '51 Ford F1 with a manual choke on the dash; flathead V8, still realiable.

Old enough to still drive one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar