At the DMV... Every car person's favorite place - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

At the DMV... Every car person's favorite place

So I'm at the dmv and I always think to myself... Why hasn't the government made a better system!!! California DMV are the worst. You wait in line to get a number to wait in line again! It really grinds my gears. What's your "favorite" place?
cristog1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristog1212 View Post
So I'm at the dmv and I always think to myself... Why hasn't the government made a better system!!! California DMV are the worst. You wait in line to get a number to wait in line again! It really grinds my gears. What's your "favorite" place?
Here in my town you wait at the dmv for like 10 seconds lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Work, I have to work 3 12 hours shifts a week just to wait for a check every other week. Damn government, lol.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
NJ un-****ed its DMV back in the early 2000s. You used to literally have to plan on 2-3 hours there whenever you went. Now its very fast in and out but god help you if you sign in the wrong spot on a title...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
In NH, each town clerk takes your registration money every year. The bad part is, the newer more expensive the car, the more you pay. 2014 Mustang was $600 last year. This year probably $550. If there are a lot of poor people in a town, there's less town revenue from vehicle registrations. More people with higher paying jobs and nicer cars means more town money. Each and every tiny town has its own government, police etc.
therefore...some towns have part time or non existent services and others have fantastic services.
In my county, there are probably 25 different police departments and a total population of 20 to 30,000 people tops.
Traffic ticket money doesn't go to the town at all, it goes to the state. So, no one is supplementing their towns budget with speed traps but that doesn't stop them from slinging tickets anyway.
But hey, you can pay way less registration money every year by having an old piece of junk car.....but then you have state inspections...which is nice. So then you can expect to get failed every year unless you pay $$ for repairs they say you need.
But you don't have to wear a seat belt, so I have that going for me.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
But you don't have to wear a seat belt, so I have that going for me.

I'm failing to see how that is a good thing.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I do not miss California DMV at all. Born and raised in SoCal. God it's a half a day commitment. So I was pleasantly surprised when I moved to VA. The little town I live in had all of like 10 people waiting and I was in and out in like 35 min.

Sadly if I had the choice id move back to Cali and deal with the shiiiity dmv to enjoy the rest of California I miss so much. Including 80 degree Christmases
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

My wife was like that before I met her. She's told me the story of the first accident she got into not wearing it. Smashed her face on the dash and $1500 worth of dental work to fix a tooth that got pretty much knocked out. After that she decided to not be an idiot.

Ppl in the military, like me, can actually be disciplined for any passengers not wearing a seat belt. I've had to threaten people who didn't want to buckle up with leaving their *** in a parking lot if they would not wear it. Made me feel like kind of a ****** but I'm not getting in trouble for someone else who has some irrational thing with seatbelts.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

See you have those people and then me who dailys a car with a 5 point lmao

HID end all thread
Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Waylap is probably referring to the government making such things a requirement, rather than letting people use their own common sense.
When I was a small child, nobody had ever heard of a childs car seat. There were still a LOT of cars on the road that weren't equipped with seat belts!
We used to ride our bicycles WITHOUT helmets! Legally!
It was completely legal to ride in the open bed of a pickup truck!

Of course, accidents happened. But most of us survived to tell the story. And those that didn't?... I like to think of as a "cleansing of the gene pool".
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Waylap is probably referring to the government making such things a requirement, rather than letting people use their own common sense.
When I was a small child, nobody had ever heard of a childs car seat. There were still a LOT of cars on the road that weren't equipped with seat belts!
We used to ride our bicycles WITHOUT helmets! Legally!
It was completely legal to ride in the open bed of a pickup truck!

Of course, accidents happened. But most of us survived to tell the story. And those that didn't?... I like to think of as a "cleansing of the gene pool".
Correct, I wear mine and have changed my wife into wearing one, I'm a retired traffic homicide investigator, motor cop.
Just commenting how the state government can be very liberal with a seatbelt law and lawful open carry of firearms and yet mandate money making things like vehicle inspections in a state where few people have any money and the air is already clean.

A few years ago, a bill was introduced in N.C. to abolish vehicle inspections ONLY for cars 3 years old and newer. It was shot down by car repair and dealership lobbyist who openly claimed it would hurt their revenue.
Florida governor Bob Graham smartly abolished it 30 years ago and there hasn't been an epidemic of cars exploding or causing fatalities because of no state inspection. If a car is bad enough to not be on the road, the patrol cops see it and ticket it.

Government forcing people to take their cars somewhere to pay for a pass or fail when the place has a financial incentive to find things that need "repair" is not acceptable.
But I don't have to wear a seatbelt if I don't want to.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Gotcha. Guess it was just the wording

HID end all thread
Old 04-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Correct, I wear mine and have changed my wife into wearing one, I'm a retired traffic homicide investigator, motor cop.

Just commenting how the state government can be very liberal with a seatbelt law and lawful open carry of firearms and yet mandate money making things like vehicle inspections in a state where few people have any money and the air is already clean.

A few years ago, a bill was introduced in N.C. to abolish vehicle inspections ONLY for cars 3 years old and newer. It was shot down by car repair and dealership lobbyist who openly claimed it would hurt their revenue.

Florida governor Bob Graham smartly abolished it 30 years ago and there hasn't been an epidemic of cars exploding or causing fatalities because of no state inspection. If a car is bad enough to not be on the road, the patrol cops see it and ticket it.

Government forcing people to take their cars somewhere to pay for a pass or fail when the place has a financial incentive to find things that need "repair" is not acceptable.

That is the absolute truth!
Old 04-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Inspections seem silly to me. 100 percent seems like a money grab. Washington seems to be fine without it
Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm a native of MA, which has yearly vehicle inspections, but did grad school in OH, which did not. Huge difference...way more crap/unsafe cars on the road in OH than MA, so I think the annual inspections definitely help.

Now don't get me started about the new law that says you have to have your headlights on whenever you use your wipers...so if I blip the wipers for the washer fluid, am I supposed to turn on my headlights for 5 seconds to prevent some Statie from ticketing my ***?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I'm a native of MA, which has yearly vehicle inspections, but did grad school in OH, which did not. Huge difference...way more crap/unsafe cars on the road in OH than MA, so I think the annual inspections definitely help.

Now don't get me started about the new law that says you have to have your headlights on whenever you use your wipers...so if I blip the wipers for the washer fluid, am I supposed to turn on my headlights for 5 seconds to prevent some Statie from ticketing my ***?

We have that law in Cali. It's if they are on intermittently. It pretty much breaks down to if it's raining have your headlights on. If you hit it to clear something off i am 100% positive you won't get any type of ticket.

HID end all thread
Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
We have that law in Cali. It's if they are on intermittently. It pretty much breaks down to if it's raining have your headlights on. If you hit it to clear something off i am 100% positive you won't get any type of ticket.

Which makes sense. If it is raining you should have lights on.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure Ford is now making that standard that when you turn on your wipers and leave them on more than a minute, your headlights come on. If you have the auto headlamp feature.
Now I'm curious if my Mustang has this. I know my 14 Taurus had it.

Here's another one.....
In NH you don't have to have insurance on your car. (Unless it's financed and your lienholder requires it)
Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^wow! In va they do random checks and if your vehicle is registered for the road and their is not the minimum state liability on the car they suspend your registration and impose a fine.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

They way the text of the law here doesn't specify that, so seems like there's a huge loophole for the cops to exploit.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
They way the text of the law here doesn't specify that, so seems like there's a huge loophole for the cops to exploit.

Wow if some cop pulled you over for using the wipers to clear off some bug guts without your lights on, then that is one cop with nothing better to do. We have a have law here that says, one must turn their lights when raining. Do the cops heavily in force it? Not really.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

The staties here will tailgate drivers on the highway to get them to speed up, then pull them over for speeding... so anything is possible.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

NJ has a free inspection, it is every 2 years. Its only for a sniffer if you are OBD1 or a plug in computer check if you are OBD2. Roll over a camera for a visual check for cats (or something that looks like cats) and a gas cap check. They don't even pop the hood. There is no financial incentive, if you know when to go you don't wait very long in line and if you really don't feel like waiting you can pay a licensed shop $50 and make an appt so you don't have to wait.

I see states where they remove a wheel and check brakes and give you a list of things that need fixed and they can do it for a fee... like wtf... I am paranoid enough about GOOD shops messing with cars I actually care about much less some yahoo at a state inspection facility with an agenda.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
The staties here will tailgate drivers on the highway to get them to speed up, then pull them over for speeding... so anything is possible.

See idk why everyone hates Cali. I'll be going 5-10 over the limit on the highway and a cop will pass me. Yes we have strict laws on paper, but they are so easy to get around.

HID end all thread
Old 04-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
See idk why everyone hates Cali. I'll be going 5-10 over the limit on the highway and a cop will pass me. Yes we have strict laws on paper, but they are so easy to get around.

Same in NJ. Doing 80 on the major highways here will not get you pulled over unless its in a construction zone or something. If a cop ever tailgates me, I do the speed limit and move over when possible. They can't pull you over if you don't speed up. Generally, at least in NJ, they just want you to move the hell out of the way and blow by at 100mph.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Dang I had no idea that the DMV's were so different in each states! How cool really.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I've had my fair share of bad DMV experiences but the local office here, in Lake County CA, is actually pretty decent! They are very helpful and there is rarely a long wait. I've actually walked in and had no wait at all!
Granted, this entire county has a smaller population than many cities, but it is a refreshing change from the "service" that I have received at other CA DMV's.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I live in California where there are a lot of people and it's not cool bro
Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristog1212 View Post
I live in California where there are a lot of people and it's not cool bro
When I lived in a more densely populated area of California, I used to drive to one of the nearby cities that had a less-busy DMV. There was still always a wait but it was a "shorter" wait. Lol.
And if you make an appointment, you can avoid the long wait altogether.
I'm not organized enough to pull off a feat such as that though...
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
NJ un-****ed its DMV back in the early 2000s. You used to literally have to plan on 2-3 hours there whenever you went. Now its very fast in and out but god help you if you sign in the wrong spot on a title...
This happened to me recently; purchased a used jet ski from an elderly person (much older then myself, if that's possible). The guy started to sign the title in the "buyers" section; I stopped him, and he signed in the sellers. When I got to the DMV's office, they saw this, and told me the title now looked "suspicious", and I had to either bring the seller with me on the next trip, or get a notorized letter signed by the seller stating he started to sign in the wrong spot. A pain to have to do this, but finally got it all done.

For the record, over 51% of all U.S jobs are government run.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This happened to me recently; purchased a used jet ski from an elderly person (much older then myself, if that's possible). The guy started to sign the title in the "buyers" section; I stopped him, and he signed in the sellers. When I got to the DMV's office, they saw this, and told me the title now looked "suspicious", and I had to either bring the seller with me on the next trip, or get a notorized letter signed by the seller stating he started to sign in the wrong spot. A pain to have to do this, but finally got it all done.

For the record, over 51% of all U.S jobs are government run.
I sold a car I had to a guy last year and got a frantic phone call the next day asking if I could go with him to the dmv because he accidentally checked the unknown mileage box. Karma is a ***** and I wasn't working that day so I helped him out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

In MA at least, the local AAA offices have some DMV services (license and registration renewals--but not new applications). Saves me a lot of time and aggravation to pop by for that routine stuff.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
At my local DMV (Indiana) I am in and out in less than 10 minutes for just about anything. It would likely be less than 5 minutes if the 90 year old ladies behind the counter could efficiently use a computer.

Also, no tests or inspections, because nobody cares.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I do not miss California DMV at all. Born and raised in SoCal. God it's a half a day commitment. So I was pleasantly surprised when I moved to VA. The little town I live in had all of like 10 people waiting and I was in and out in like 35 min.

Sadly if I had the choice id move back to Cali and deal with the shiiiity dmv to enjoy the rest of California I miss so much. Including 80 degree Christmases

Love me some Christmas beach days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar