Dumping "Big Red" so I can "get more" tomorrow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Dumping "Big Red" so I can "get more" tomorrow

Suffice to say, sick of paying out my *** for Verizon Wireless. T-Mobile has real good coverage in my area and I'll drop my monthly payment by about $100/mo for the same damn service PLUS they are going to pay all my ETFs. This is including the price of financing two new phones.

Next I need to convince the wife to drop down to basic HD channels with just HBO. Or just completely ditch TV altogether and go straight Hulu/Netflix with HBO standalone. I pay damn near $450/mo for us to be "connected" (tv/interwebs/phones) and that HAS to change/is changing.

If I sound like a poor cheap ***... well that's a lot of money for mods when I finally get back into another Mustang lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
My tv is 75 with hd channels and hbo. T Mobile is garbage where I am so my wife and I are on Verizon for 175 a month. You were getting bent over lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Your not being cheap, reasonable yes. I just ditched cable, we were paying $110 a month for hd channels, dvr that we weren't eving using. I asked my wife when the last time she watched tv was and she couldn't answer. So I turned in the cable box the same day. We watch most of our stuff on Netflix and I just added Hulu for another $8 bucks a month, so we're saving $100. I've been wanting to ditch big red for someone else too but everybody I know that has a different service always complains about reception.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I pay $185 a month for our phones at&t which turns into 200+ bc I use all the data up when I'm in the field. Yes I hear about it every time.

And somewhere over $200 for at&t tv and Internet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Download a program called Kodi I can guide you setting it up. We canceled our cable because of this program. It's like Netflix but better waaaaaaaay better

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrdnsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I have a digital antenna, netflix, vudu, hulu, etc and I pay 8 bucks a month. Enjoying it while I can. One day prices will hike up once corporate ******** figure they can get away with it.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'll google it and see whatup.

But if I can get the phone bill down to the $100-$120 range with the phone financing in place (it'll be close) and then the fios bill down to the same $$$ I will be happy. I don't need 70mbps download speeds, I did fine with crapcast at 20/15 last year. More than fine. Also don't need every single HD channel there is. I need my sports channels and a few others and HBO and that's really it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing I'll miss is the ufc fights & basketball games I used to watch.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah we watch ESPN and sports ALL THE TIME so that would be a problem...

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
The only thing I'll miss is the ufc fights & basketball games I used to watch.
Amen and football. I'm hoping eventually you will be able to get only programming you want without all the extra crap with the extra cost. I'm ok paying 40 bucks for the walking dead seasons.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I can wait for walking dead on Netflix
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I need season 7 of sons of anarchy...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonekyle View Post
I need season 7 of sons of anarchy...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Last episode is STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!

PISSSEDDDDDDDDDD ME THE F!!!! Off

Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Id stay away from t-mobile man. Had them and they are TERRIBLE. Coverage was horrendous. And I lived all over the U.S. when I had them. There is a reason they are paying your ETF's. They are desperate as hell. Just sayin.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Id stay away from t-mobile man. Had them and they are TERRIBLE. Coverage was horrendous. And I lived all over the U.S. when I had them. There is a reason they are paying your ETF's. They are desperate as hell. Just sayin.
T-Mobile has blanket coverage in NJ. Its fast as hell too since every swinging dick is on VZW/ATT. Some ppl are going to Sprint... THAT is the one carrier I would stay the hell away from.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Last episode is STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!

PISSSEDDDDDDDDDD ME THE F!!!! Off

I damn near cried at the final scene

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
I'm hoping eventually you will be able to get only programming you want without all the extra crap with the extra cost.
That will never happen and if it does it will be even more expensive
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Its already happening. HBO is the first one to go "a la carte", the other premiums are following suit. When the sports networks do it, that's the end of programming lineups as we know them because that's the only thing that is keeping a LOT of people (like me) from going straight Hulu/Netflix.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 AM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Suffice to say, sick of paying out my *** for Verizon Wireless. T-Mobile has real good coverage in my area and I'll drop my monthly payment by about $100/mo for the same damn service PLUS they are going to pay all my ETFs. This is including the price of financing two new phones.

Next I need to convince the wife to drop down to basic HD channels with just HBO. Or just completely ditch TV altogether and go straight Hulu/Netflix with HBO standalone. I pay damn near $450/mo for us to be "connected" (tv/interwebs/phones) and that HAS to change/is changing.

If I sound like a poor cheap ***... well that's a lot of money for mods when I finally get back into another Mustang lol.

You'd be surprised at how good antenna is! Atlanta has so much signal crowding, it's ridiculous, but I also cheeped out on the antenna. I got expanded digital with HD/DVR and Internet for less than $90 a month. I also have a cable broker.

I got a discount on my Verizon phone service through my job, so my bill isn't that bad.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:46 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Its already happening. HBO is the first one to go "a la carte", the other premiums are following suit. When the sports networks do it, that's the end of programming lineups as we know them because that's the only thing that is keeping a LOT of people (like me) from going straight Hulu/Netflix.
Yes but thats a premium channel. When people try and start to make their own programming package it will start to add up real quick. It also works different for other people cause if you get the regular subscriptions you can only watch netflix on 2 devices and 1 on hulu. So what about those that watch more than 2 tvs simultaneously. Then add hbo go, cinemax go, starz, and showtime the price will add up as well.
I have dtv with every channel possible with hulu and netflix and sometimes the streaming services don't have the content ->I<- want. Just my .02 cents
.....T-MOBILE FTW
Old 04-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
proud to say I spend more $ on concerts/plays than I do on TV/computer/phone combined.

to each their own
Old 04-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Results:

Service is similar around here. We live in a spot where Sprint and ATT put up towers and VZW/T-Mo are kind of on the edge of a LTE bubble. I already called T-Mo about a promotion I was told about on a forum and they are shipping me a LTE router which will piggyback on our home wifi and broadcast a personal LTE bubble. Pretty cool.

Pricing. They are paying all our ETFs for 4 lines, I will cancel the 2 ghost lines when the ETF card arrives. I had to pay $120 for 2 flip phones to move the ghost lines but I was going to have to pay $400+ on ETFs for the ghost lines sooo... Damn near maxing out the $850 cap for all 4 lol. Base monthly payment with taxes/fees is $98 with my military discount. Tack on $10/mo for the jump plan for my wife's iPhone, and $35/mo for the 2 phone payments and that brings it to $143 vs $221.

Added bonus: When you switch carriers to T-Mo, you only have to give them "a phone that turns on" per line. I dug in the tech recycle bin at work for 4 flip phones that worked that were cleared off of anyone's equipment account and took those. I got to keep both 6 month old mint condition LG G3s which I can get some pretty good $$$ for.

Overall: I am under no allusion that T-Mobile's network is as robust as VZW. I'm also sick of paying out my *** for "the best" service when I'm on wifi whenever I'm home and I work in an office that gets pretty much zero signal on any carrier. This service is good, its priced GREAT and there are no data limits.

Next up: Cancelling all the premium channels on fios and seeing how cheap I can get it while keeping all the sports networks and the wife's favorite channels.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

Best thing about T-Mobile is that streaming music won't eat my data since i only have 3gb of 4G
Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Tmobile stinks for coverage and I have to continually do network reset and disable voice over lte

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
It WILL happen; and soon. I work for a cable company as a Sr. Engineer. The pressure being put out by the "on line, on demand" internet offerings has the cable companies attention.

The killer cost for cable companies is the constant negotiation they have to do to pay out to broadcast the stations themselves. Popular channel broadcasts cost a cable company quite a bit, and to profit, they pass this onto a consumer. To help keep the costs down, a cable company will "bundle" channels together, which is why you currently do not have the option (with your cable company) to pick and choose just the channels you want to watch and pay for. If they did with the current setup, the price would not drop by much, as you'd most likely be choosing the "high dollar" cost channels; these owners of the channels know this, and charge the cable companies accordingly, which gets passed down to you.

This is changing though, as the cable companies are bartering with how they pay prices to the broadcasters, and how they will pass these costs down to the consumers.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Best thing about T-Mobile is that streaming music won't eat my data since i only have 3gb of 4G

The plan they gave me was unlimited everything for $100/mo for 2 lines. No caps, no throttling. Plus they are giving me the LTE home router for free too. And each line gets 5gigs of free tethering per month too. Perks of being a new customer I guess.

But yeah they have something where you can stream from certain aps and it does not count against your data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
Tmobile stinks for coverage and I have to continually do network reset and disable voice over lte

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct

Its real good around here. Going into work I was running speed tests all the way in and I was consistently getting 15-20mpbs down. Up was not great, like 3-5mbps but it never was on VZW either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It WILL happen; and soon. I work for a cable company as a Sr. Engineer. The pressure being put out by the "on line, on demand" internet offerings has the cable companies attention.

The killer cost for cable companies is the constant negotiation they have to do to pay out to broadcast the stations themselves. Popular channel broadcasts cost a cable company quite a bit, and to profit, they pass this onto a consumer. To help keep the costs down, a cable company will "bundle" channels together, which is why you currently do not have the option (with your cable company) to pick and choose just the channels you want to watch and pay for. If they did with the current setup, the price would not drop by much, as you'd most likely be choosing the "high dollar" cost channels; these owners of the channels know this, and charge the cable companies accordingly, which gets passed down to you.

This is changing though, as the cable companies are bartering with how they pay prices to the broadcasters, and how they will pass these costs down to the consumers.
We watch mostly:

-ESPN channels
-NBC Sports channels (hockey and soccer)
-DIY/HGTV
-Travel/DestinationHD/Animal
-Planet/Discovery/NatGeo/NatGeoWild

And a movie channel sometimes when I'm bored but I'm legit getting ready to piece a media server together from a bunch of old motherboards/cases we have lying around and run it right the hell into the main TV and call it good for movies. Stream or DL them, whatever.

So if all I paid for was that... I'm not exactly sure I'd be paying much less than I do now for my channels plus the interwebs. ESPN will not be cheap if they have an "a la carte" option, maybe the other channels would be $5 each since HBO is $15? No idea. Maybe you have more insight into something like that.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #27
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
The plan they gave me was unlimited everything for $100/mo for 2 lines. No caps, no throttling. Plus they are giving me the LTE home router for free too. And each line gets 5gigs of free tethering per month too. Perks of being a new customer I guess.
Yea probably since I've been with them for 4 years and one year on the pre paid T-Mobile. But i hardly run out just like you said i have Wi-Fi at home, work and school so I'm only on the network for spotify but that doesn't count against me...... Is there google fiber where your at?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

No google fiber, just goddamn fios and crapcast... The fios service is fast but their router is complete dog**** as far as wireless goes. Like... I get 60/60 on speedtest on my desktop wired in but like... 20/10 on the wireless 10ft away from it. And this is the second router they've given me.

The router I am talking about from T-Mo is a secondary piggyback unit they loan out for free to new customers as a promotion I guess. I just plug it into my router and it creates its own T-Mo LTE/Wifi bubble that is supposed to have huge range and is designed to optimize calling over wifi. But apparently any wifi device can use it so hopefully this will fix my wifi problems. I know I could always buy a N router and port forward...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Jeez... Backed it up with a few more fast runs too.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430226090206.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	181274  

Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Final verdict of what I got now that I am more than happy with the improved LTE speeds and much much lower price. And my wife is finally quiet about getting an iPhone lol.

-$100/mo for unlimited everything including high speed on 2 lines. $85/mo with military discount.

-Free 5 gigs of tethering per line per month. Great for my wife who refuses to let me root/jailbreak anything she has lol.

-Free LTE router, makes my own personal LTE bubble right in my house.

Final bill is $140 and change vs $221/mo for Verizon with $10/mo insurance on wife's iPhone 6 and $36 financing for 2 phones. Will drop to $108 if I decide to pay off the phones. Jump plan allows my wife to upgrade every year if we don't pay the phone off first.

Already rooted my G2, installed AdFree and debloated. Nice to be able to open apps and not be spammed with advertising for **** products.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Regular

Isn't jailbreaking the same as tuning your car (voids warranty) and with jump you need to give the phone back and start with the financing again
Old 04-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

I got the jump plan because it also counts as insurance. Only got it for my wife's iphone because I can buy a new G2 outright for $225 from Amazon or T-Mo.

Yes rooting/jailbreaking void the warranty if they find out. I won't jailbreak her phone as there is need. Mine is already rooted, if it needs to be returned before 30 day warranty expires I'll flash it back to stock with the LG flash tool on my PC. I rooted my G2 the same day I got it.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Woot woot!

This baby is a SICK *** router and retails for $180-$200 depending on where you buy. Here is the non T-Mobile version of it.

ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router - Newegg.com

On the 5ghz band the phones are losing almost no speed at any point in the house, wifi calling is no longer spotty on the pile of **** fios router and call quality is VERY clear.

Overall, very happy camper for what I am getting. Now I just have to see if I can find a 5ghz wifi card for my circa 2012 Acer laptop that did not come with one... Don't want a dongle sticking out of it and snapping off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar