Dear Mods, - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Dear Mods,

To all the mustang Evo mods, admins, big dogs.

I have a suggestion for this forum. It seems as if we get many new members who come to the site and skim over the rules and "how to" navigate the forum page. Then we get a new thread that gets all the veterans worked up (for good reason) and it almost always starts a ridiculous name calling battle leading to new members with a bad taste in their mouths and people who know the rules and are on here daily shaking their heads.

So how do we fix that your asking yourself right about now. Why can't we put a stop to a newbie making new threads in the tech sections much like the for sale sections until they have reached a certain time period or post requirement? Like say they have to post 15 times and or be a member for a week before they can create a thread in tech areas.

Seems easy enough? Maybe it's not? I dont know you tell me.

I would just like to see less bickering and threads we all know insight riots. Feedback?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Good idea
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

I see it as kind of a "cool off" period. Like a guy who walks into a gun shop and buys a handgun. Let him take it home right then and something bad might happen. Make him pick it up in 7 days after he has had time to process why he bought that gun, might be a different story. Seems like a legit new member would then be forced to search old threads and get the answer they need. Not to mention help with troll threads. Something like;

Hey guys how can I make my 2012 GT faster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I see it as kind of a "cool off" period. Like a guy who walks into a gun shop and buys a handgun. Let him take it home right then and something bad might happen. Make him pick it up in 7 days after he has had time to process why he bought that gun, might be a different story. Seems like a legit new member would then be forced to search old threads and get the answer they need. Not to mention help with troll threads. Something like;

Hey guys how can I make my 2012 GT faster?
Well the daily axleback threads have called down which is nice
Old 05-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Every member is sent a private message automatically that has links to the rules and regulations.

Searching for a topic before creating your own is simple common sense.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Every member is sent a private message automatically that has links to the rules and regulations.

Maybe instill a must have common sense rule? Lol
Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You don't understand how much I want to.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Right. Except it still happens.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:29 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
This site is an extremly popular site for new members who have never been on a forum before. They "cut their teeth" on forums such as Mustang Evolution, and therefore this site see's the usual common first posts, such as "Whats the best <fill in common mod here>". Most seasoned members can look back at joining their first site, and have asked simular questions.

What we ask of the veterans or seasoned members of this site is to understand, and simply move on to a post that better interests them, rather than make a sarcastic post to this new members thread, which in turn will represent Mustang Evolution in a negative manner and perhaps turn the new member away.

Its much easier to expect those that are bothered by common posts placed by new members to simply not post, and move on to threads that do allow them to make constructive posts against. Our true seasoned members at ME have caught on, and do just this.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

^thanks bucko. I agree with what you've said. And I have started to leave those ones alone as well. I just see it happen and thought I'd throw this out there. I was a member of a forum previously that had something similar to this. I remember when I joined and wanted to make a thread about something that I could have found in the search and boom, I was met with a message saying I needed to post "x" amount of times and or reach a weeks membership time before I could. This forced me to do a simple search and get my answer. I look back and appreciate this. It kept me from making a typical new guy thread and looking like a boob, tainting my idea of the site and the people in it who would have no doubt lit me up.

Again thanks for the reply.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You can spin it anyway you want but in the end it's just people being lazy and expect to be spoon feed.

Lots of questions can be answered from the owners manual but everyone conveniently misplaces them.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
The thought of how to slow down the newb questions is not new lol. A couple of years back we talked about several small ways but in the end, it was still gonna take the newb actually looking around the forum to find the answers they seek. One of the ideas was to have a member voted on best of by model section. Like where we all as members voted on best axle backs for 07-09 and so on. Then we could post in a thread a ME members recommended build thread that we could always simply point new peeps to.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

I agree grabber. That's what I'm saying though. If your just that guy who's going to join and ask one of those quick questions that has been answered 100 times already and your met with resistance, it might save us from having 100 posts about the same thing. I think that's part of the problem with the search function if I'm being honest. You search for best exhaust and 500+ threads pop up. Where do you begin? And then the last 2-3 years worth are filled with nonsense because they are these newbie posts everyone gets frustrated with. So even if a new guy uses the search function, they would have to read for a few hours to even start to get a sense of what they were looking for. So instead they take the easy route and start a new one. I'm not trying to stir the pot or act like I could fix things. I just wanted to make a suggestion based on a previous experience. I think it would benefit everyone frankly.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You can spin it anyway you want but in the end it's just people being lazy and expect to be spoon feed.

Lots of questions can be answered from the owners manual but everyone conveniently misplaces them.
Answers that could be found in an owners manual was my weakness in triggering an answer that fit the catagory of useless or unconstructive post.

I see them less, but when I do, I toss my head back and move on.

If no one posts to a thread such as these, they soon get the message that this site is not one to spoon feed a lazy member along; the best that can happen.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Here's what I can do to perhaps help prevent a new member from asking a redundant question...we provide an instant PM to all new members that welcomes them aboard. It points to the community rules, mentions they can ask for help, and I can add an additional comment that suggests the search to commonly asked questions.

Lets give that a try.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Here's what I can do to perhaps help prevent a new member from asking a redundant question...we provide an instant PM to all new members that welcomes them aboard. It points to the community rules, mentions they can ask for help, and I can add an additional comment that suggests the search to commonly asked questions.

Lets give that a try.
Better be specific. Tell them to search for axle back exhausts, cold air intakes, pretty much tell them to search for any mod they are interested in.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:52 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Here's an excellent case in point to what we try hard to do on this site in presenting an inviting atmosphere for new members:

Newbie!

In reading this members early posts about how other sites gave him an "ego" impression, that's what we need to prevent here.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm still rather new here, only about 9 months in so the repetitive threads don't bother me. If I see something uninteresting to me I just move on. I think the vets on here just get tired of seeing the same thing over and over. Heck when I first joined I must have book marked the v6 portion and didn't even know about the rest of the forum until a admin pointed it out to me. Thankful for that btw.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

Lets give that a try.

I really do like this idea. When I first joined, I had questions, but did a whole lot of searching.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Agreed! Great work bucko!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The real issue with something like this is if a new member joins to ask a specific question about a problem or issue they are having, now they can't.

From there they will either spam post other threads to be able to pose their issue, or they will go to another forum where they can get the help they need.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
The real issue with something like this is if a new member joins to ask a specific question about a problem or issue they are having, now they can't.

From there they will either spam post other threads to be able to pose their issue, or they will go to another forum where they can get the help they need.

I have yet to see a new member with less than 20 posts have a question that hadn't already been answered. Like this

Wanting to tune with CAI
Old 05-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Stupid (repeat) questions will always be asked on every forum by noobs, hell, I didn't know what I was doing when I got here and probably asked a few myself. I like the idea of common sense reminders in the rules, but we must remember, ignorant people are unavoidable.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I new idea from Janet has been tossed out for consideration: we create a new forum for commonly asked questions, as well as the mods will move these types of threads to this forum if posted on the other forums of this site.

Should a seasoned member wander over to this forum dedicated to commonly asked questions only, and post a negative or harsh answer, they get delt with, as there would be no excuse for a member who does not wish to be bothered with these types of questions to head over to this forum. Those members that wish to help out with quality answers may get 'badged'; their site name gets a special name plate that indicates they are helping the site by answering these types of questions.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

That seems like it could work. 👍🏻
Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

First things first, people need to quit getting their panties in a wad about things. seriously, lol. If a newbie (which we all were once) asks a question off a link or a simple. "If you use the search option and keyword it I believe you will find a number of threads". Why the need to be rude regardless. As a follow up to this point there members that are just arrogant and feel superior, even if their knowledge makes them that... whats the point? It is how you treat those who can do nothing for you at the time thats speaks volumes of your character. But I digress.

Create a Starter Section or a sort of database section. Use polls taken by existing members to fill that information. Example would be Where to start with a mod list for 11-14 GT. Then we all vote and it is posted. Tune, Exhaust, Suspension and so on. Commenting fine but a new guy can come see right a way the thoughts from all the guys with experience. Best axle backs for a 99-04 V6... and so on. Broke into sections like the regular tech is. Then they dont have to go through a ton of posts to read opinions.

Side Note to all of this: While I love ME, the search function is very broad. Sometimes I search and I swear it gives allot of irrelevant posts.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I new idea from Janet has been tossed out for consideration: we create a new forum for commonly asked questions, as well as the mods will move these types of threads to this forum if posted on the other forums of this site.

Should a seasoned member wander over to this forum dedicated to commonly asked questions only, and post a negative or harsh answer, they get delt with, as there would be no excuse for a member who does not wish to be bothered with these types of questions to head over to this forum. Those members that wish to help out with quality answers may get 'badged'; their site name gets a special name plate that indicates they are helping the site by answering these types of questions.
Like all of this too btw. Could see this incorporated into my thoughts about. on quick concise answers by way of poll
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Bucko/Janet.

I like that idea. My attitude is to try and help even though it's already been asked and answered already (normally recently). If you don't want to re-answer the ? you don't have to. Most members here are polite and tolerant and we regulate ourselves, I see rude folks called out all the time and approve!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

I agree^

Also just so everyone knows, I didn't create this thread because I personally am bothered or put out by the redundant newbie questions. Really I just want to see those threads that become "eViolent" to be fewer and farther between. Keep the search function more pure (as its mucked up by 100 threads of junk before you find the original helpful thread), and keep the newbies less exposed to people who can't handle the newbie ignorance.

I'd be happy to help people in any situation when I see it. I just get frustrated when I see people jump on these threads 1 min after they are created and be total dicks.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you do this, can you make sure that posts from the "newbie" forum don't make it onto the "Recent Discussions" sidebar box? Honestly, I click through that - I rarely browse the forums by forum heading.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

^ yep. On my phone I just scroll though the "unread" section
Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
For the new member who just joined the forum it's easier for them to make their own thread about their question than search. I'd done it on ever forum I've became a member of.

What blows me out of the water is when people jump all over people for just wanting to learn more about their vehicle. The main reason people come to these forums to get information.

I don't know all about Mustang but I do enjoy helping people. There is no such thing as a dumb question. If you don't ask you'll never learn.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #33
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:

Lets give that a try.
Maybe include links to the top 10 most common/useful threads?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
One issue with this and I've seen it on other forums is that after a few years there are only so many 'new' topics can be covered on a particular car. When I had my eclipse I was on a forum and a few years after they stopped making them the forum died because the mods would lock any new thread that was already covered and it got to the point where just about everything has been covered at one time.

Its as simple as passing over a topic if you dont want to respond. Everyone has to start somewhere and I have no issues sharing knowledge when I have time. Although there are times where I just pass it over. The only thing that irritates me is when brand new people join and post 5 work topics and expect detailed responses. I've seen a few where all they put is 'how do I make my car faster' or 'whats a good price for a 14 mustang' or 'should I trade my car for a 02 GT'. And its nearly impossible to help them and then they get an attitude sometimes when they cant get the information they need.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
One issue with this and I've seen it on other forums is that after a few years there are only so many 'new' topics can be covered on a particular car. When I had my eclipse I was on a forum and a few years after they stopped making them the forum died because the mods would lock any new thread that was already covered and it got to the point where just about everything has been covered at one time.

Its as simple as passing over a topic if you dont want to respond. Everyone has to start somewhere and I have no issues sharing knowledge when I have time. Although there are times where I just pass it over. The only thing that irritates me is when brand new people join and post 5 work topics and expect detailed responses. I've seen a few where all they put is 'how do I make my car faster' or 'whats a good price for a 14 mustang' or 'should I trade my car for a 02 GT'. And its nearly impossible to help them and then they get an attitude sometimes when they cant get the information they need.
Janet recently posted 5 excellent reasons as to why many people do not use the search; it's worth posting here, as it provides some understanding to this subject:

1. They are on a mobile device and it's tough to search (small screen, costs)
2. They do search but don't know how to get effective results
3. They search but may say our our search function is lame and they get unusable results.
4. They don't know how.
5. They are lazy.

Reason 5 is always placed at the blame, however, it takes work to join a forum. Anyone who bothers to join by definition is already invested here ... they should not be seen as lazy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar