Knee is finally fixed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Knee is finally fixed

Went in and scoped it today. 4 years of misdiagnosis and trying to fix with pt. Good doctor finally, recommended a scope, found a big ridge of cartilage that was going to start damaging the knee eventually and cut it out. So, no more having to worry about driving a stick shift once this heals.

Note to anyone with knee issues or any issues. If your doctor is not doing what you legit feel is a good job... Go somewhere else.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well this is good news!

Can you walk on it already?
Also, how does the military medical coverage work? I mean if you are doubtful about the doctors opinion? Can you go see a civilian doctor and still be covered?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Just think a hundred or so years ago they would have popped it off and told you to toughen up
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Well this is good news!

Can you walk on it already?
Also, how does the military medical coverage work? I mean if you are doubtful about the doctors opinion? Can you go see a civilian doctor and still be covered?
I can put my full weight on it but it hurts if I don't tighten up my quad when I do it. I mean I litearlly got home like 3 hours ago from it. 3 real small cuts and they used a camera and arthroscopic stuff. Will need crutches/cane for 5-7 days and then just a cane and then 2 weeks I should be back to walking normal.

I'm getting 30 days of convalescent leave from work so I'll have a lot of time do do cosmetic stuff to the stang, get the paint fixed and I'm going to go to the JY on crutches and put a deposit on that motor lol.

As far as Tricare, I asked my PCM for a referral to a different doc because I have been on and off a medical profile for this for awhile and she just put the referral in the system like nothing. Tricare fully paid for everything, paying for phyiscal therapy, base pharmacy is free so not even a co-pay for the pills, all medical equipment is free etc... #socializedmedicne. I mean I DID sign a contract basically saying I'll take a bullet (not a Bullitt) for the USA so I guess that's a fair trade lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Just think a hundred or so years ago they would have popped it off and told you to toughen up
Well, it did take years of going to doctors and doing PT and not getting better and multiple MRIs showing something was legit wrong in there. Glad I kept hammering at it vs listening to doctors telling me "its just chafing under the kneecap" and to do more PT.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I can put my full weight on it but it hurts if I don't tighten up my quad when I do it. I mean I litearlly got home like 3 hours ago from it. 3 real small cuts and they used a camera and arthroscopic stuff. Will need crutches/cane for 5-7 days and then just a cane and then 2 weeks I should be back to walking normal.

I'm getting 30 days of convalescent leave from work so I'll have a lot of time do do cosmetic stuff to the stang, get the paint fixed and I'm going to go to the JY on crutches and put a deposit on that motor lol.

As far as Tricare, I asked my PCM for a referral to a different doc because I have been on and off a medical profile for this for awhile and she just put the referral in the system like nothing. Tricare fully paid for everything, paying for phyiscal therapy, base pharmacy is free so not even a co-pay for the pills, all medical equipment is free etc... #socializedmedicne. I mean I DID sign a contract basically saying I'll take a bullet (not a Bullitt) for the USA so I guess that's a fair trade lol.

Well, it did take years of going to doctors and doing PT and not getting better and multiple MRIs showing something was legit wrong in there. Glad I kept hammering at it vs listening to doctors telling me "its just chafing under the kneecap" and to do more PT.
Yeah by the sounds of it pt probably just pissed it off more and more lol. Some "doctors" are not very good.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah, I did my own research and found a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon and then found out that the practice was used by a lot of pro athletes including players on the Eagles and Giants. Pretty much all surgeons like that take tricare because no issues getting paid. I don't want to think how much **** like this actually costs...

Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

BTDT, the scoping is a temporary fix. Once the meniscus in your knee tears the broken bits are very painful. A good doc will remove them and give you almost immediate relief but as there's no blood supply to the meniscus in an adult, it never really heals. My story is like your's, had the scope thing done back in my 30s, but now at 62, I'm looking at a total knee replacement at some point. I got a good 25 years of relief (mostly) from the arthroscopy though. Hope your's lasts as long or longer.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah but my meniscus was not torn after all. once they got in, they checked it out and found a cartilage ridge that was just not supposed to be there and cut it out. he says it should not grow back. i will have to ask what it is actually called.

Im sorry about your situation tho... that is ****ty... hopefully you get a real good doc to do it. i have heard the replacements last a very long time nowadays.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah but my meniscus was not torn after all. once they got in, they checked it out and found a cartilage ridge that was just not supposed to be there and cut it out. he says it should not grow back. i will have to ask what it is actually called.

Im sorry about your situation tho... that is ****ty... hopefully you get a real good doc to do it. i have heard the replacements last a very long time nowadays.
Good news for you! Most of the time these problems are caused by a torn meniscus. In my case I've been putting it off so as to hopefully avoid another replacement later. I'm hearing 15 years or so is all they last. I'm lucky to live close to Cedars-Sinai in LA, which has a specialty group there that performs a lot joint replacements and that they accept my insurance. Figure I'll get it taken care of before I retire - give my company a parting shot claim to deal with!
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah well just make sure they don't **** you and change insurance policies or some craziness. It would just be really ****ty if you were waiting to do that and then get a letter because a provision of the new healthcare law changed they have to do "XYZ" or something...

Hell they keep saying they are going to try to make military pay Tricare premiums. I just need John McCain to remain alive for 8 more years so that never happens to me lol... I'm not a fan of him at all most of the time but as long as he's the chair of that committee he'll never let that **** fly.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Knee is finally fixed

I can understand what it's like. It took six years for a doctor to finally tell me they found something. And not say we didn't see anything or you're fine. The wait is painful not having answers and going through hell, just to get one. Which hopefully this the last medical issue, but I doubt it. It's a good thing they found what was wrong with you. Good luck stay strong then start banging gears.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Started PT today. Just basic stretching and quad contractions for the first 2 weeks. But holy **** it already feels like a MILLION times better after just the first day. Will be doing 3 sessions on my own tomorrow with a lot of ice. Just the stretching alone makes the knee feel almost normal again. Its still tender where the doctor scraped all the bad crud out of my knee but the therapist said as long as I can deal with the pain I'm not going to hurt anything.

I sat in the GT today and just worked the clutch in and out for a few minutes too. Actually feels better already than even before the surgery. Just real tender where the work was done but no more grinding in the knee or popping which feels real strange to me not to have it anymore. I mean obviously I am in no shape to drive a stick shift for real but its really cool to know what I'm in for once its all healed.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Sounds like things are turning out well. It is amazing how weird "normal" feels when you have had an issue for so long,
Old 05-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah now I just need to drop 25lbs or so that I put on not being able to workout or exercise. I am not a person who can lose weight by dieting. I also love food way too much and I just got a new grill lol.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I feel your pain being over thirty my weight loss is non existent.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Wish I had that problem.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You will and then you will be like me kicking yourself going I want to lose this gut!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Knee is finally fixed

I can give you whatever I got. I lost 40lbs in a 3 week period, and I didn't do anything.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's not normal or healthy and I'd go get checked out if I were you... if you haven't already anyway... I used to be able to drop off 25lbs in a month no problem with 8-10 miles of running per week and a ****ton of water and just cutting out junk. Heck I went from 195 to 165 in 3 months prior to basic training but that's being 18 for you.

But 40 doing nothing... that's like a tapeworm or something...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar