Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Windows 10 official release/rollout is here

39K views 475 replies 20 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Will for damn sure be upgrading tomorrow. Fresh wipe and install Win10 Pro from the .iso I burnt tonight from the Microsoft website. Totally free for those who did not know. I recommend doing a clean wipe/install whenever doing a system upgrade and the Win10 Pro gets you bitlocker along with a few other worthwhile things.

I only went to Win8.1 myself for performance over 7 when gaming. 7 is still on my laptop and we still use it at work. I will be putting EVERYTHING on 10 though. Higher performance, and the biggie is DirectX 12 support which even 8.1 will not have.

Also going from 16 to 32 gigs of RAM on the gaming PC and going to try pull the case apart and clean everything out and then see how good the auto overclock feature on my newish motherboard is. Been running all 6 cores at 3.5ghz (up from 2.8ghz) on the auto feature for a few months now. Going to kick it up to 4.0ghz x6 and see what happens.

#292 ·
:) I heart my air cooler.

Yeah they prolly won't get much lower price wise. Good info on the timings. And yeah I don't think I've ever ran a single stick of RAM in anything...

#293 ·
Well I guess here is what I'm looking at price wise which is surprisingly not a ton more than some pile of **** console. Although I did get an XBox One for free from a friend lol.

WD 256GB Black NVMe M.2 Internal SSD $110 B&H free shipping

ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard $199 Newegg after tax :mad: and shipping

Ryzen 5 1600 - $199 Tigerdirect free shipping

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR43200 16-18-18-38 timings -$138 after tax :mad: and free shipping on Newegg.

So $650 to bump up to pretty much as good as it's going to get without spending a fortune. Not much more than a console and if Ryzen 2 CPUs will go into these boards then upgrade in 2 years is literally CPU/GPU and go?

#294 · (Edited)
Make sure the WD M.2 is PCIE. It should be but not all of them are.

Other than that, everything looks good. That system combined with your existing parts should make for one hell of a gaming rig, especially compared to consoles. Hell, a single Fury is more powerful than the GPU in the upcoming Xbox One X, and the XOX is twice as powerful as PS4 Pro.

Upgrading shouldn't be an issue. AMD have already said that Ryzen 2 will work with existing AM4 mobos. Since you have one of the higher end ones, a future bios update should be all that is needed before installing a Ryzen 2 CPU.

Also .. one thing with all Ryzen mobo, is to flash the bios to the newest asap. Back when Ryzen first came out, there were times where I would have the system for a week or more and in that time frame, 3 to 5 bios updates would come out. It was crazy. That is mostly fixed now but just make sure you are on the current bios before you start overclocking.

FYI, Asrock has released two bios updates for X370 Taichi since September 1 - ( ASRock > Support ). Each time you flash the bios, all of your settings will be lost, so write them down once you dial in your OC.

-Edit

As for RAM, check this list and try to get something on the Samsung B-Die list - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/ , the B-Die provides much less of head ache but nearly all memory should be able to run at 3200 now.

#295 ·
Yeah looks like that Ripjaws ram is on there, cool. Or if something else goes on sale I'll have a reference. Not sure if I'm going to buy just now, there will always be sales. I'll kick it around and see what's what. Def something I want to get done in the states before heading over to Spain although I'll still have a US PO box (APO). Kept all my case boxes and foam so the systems and the $$$ monitor should be secure. There is insurance on everything and I'm going to fully update renters insurance before I leave.

#296 · (Edited)
Well it turns out there are still a ton of issues with RAM clocking to 3200 with Ryzen... BUT... there are a few that are 100% and I got that along with my full upgrade today when all the big discounts started. Not waiting again like the last few years and having stuff sell out to save $20 or $30.

My kid will be getting my FX8350 and the water cooled R9 290, the wife will be getting the FX6300 and air cooled R9 290 and I'm keeping my crossfired R9 Furies. I WAS very tempted to get the 1700x at $259 but the 1600 was $189 and is just as fast for gaming and literally anything I'll ever be doing before Ryzen 2 drops.

What I got:

Ryzen 5 1600
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435

ASRock X370 Taichi

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157757

ADATA XPG SX8000 NVME drive

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADF168J4085

G Skill Flare X DDR4 3200 RAM verified to work with Ryzen at 3200.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V5RW1708

And I got the Cryorig AM4 adapter for my air cooler

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF5MJ8774

This is going to be the ADATA NVME drive for boot, my 2 Silicon Power 480GB SSDs in a RAID0 for games and then a couple 3TB hard drives in a RAID0 for movies and shows with a 1.5TB external with bitlocker on the side for important stuff.

Still have the two R9 Furies in a Crossfire for GPU and the Fractal Define S case with a 1000w power supply. Lots of fans and cables all hidden behind the mobo plate.

I am le-excite. My Ram is back available on backorder for $25 cheaper with a 7-14 day backorder but I don't trust that to make it to me before I'm like a week away from moving lol. So I paid the extra $$ to get it from a vendor that has it in stock. Ultra fast C14 timings too.

#297 ·
Looks like it will be a pretty nice setup.

I think within the next year is when the 4 core or 4 core / 8 thread CPU will be minimum spec for a lot of newer games.

The 1600 is an absolute beast for the money and a huge upgrade from the 8350 regardless of clock speed. Also, there have been several 1600/1600x that have hit the market recently but are actually the 8 core / 16 thread. Hopefully you get lucky and get one of the 8 cores.

That ram has really good timings for it's speed. I'm positive that system will be really snappy.

Also, as for running the 2 fury cards, they are still overkill for most games. I upgraded my Fury X and am now running Titan X's in SLI. The Titan X's crush everything but more and more games seem to have crap support for CFX or SLI. I'm probably going to go with Navi or Volta/Ampere whenever they drop.

Also ... good to see your car is nearly done.

#298 ·
Yeah car is close... I'll def see if I can unlock this chip that would be sweet.

Agreed on the crossfire sli thing... Next GPU upgrade is going to be a single beast card and these two furies will go to my wife and kid. Their machines are sabertooths with a fx8350 and a fx6300. Kid has the water cooled r9 290 and wife has the air cooled 290. Finally upgrading the bulldozer Phenom II in my kids computer to the 8350 lol.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#299 ·
Lol glad I ordered when I did. Nothing went on bigger sale except $10 more off the processor and now that ram only available from a seller charging $40 more. Getting a real nice laptop for the wife for $300 on Amazon sale. Has a m2 slot so will throw a $40 NVME in there for boot and a second 4gb stick of ddr4 in for 8gb. Not a gaming machine.

#300 · (Edited)
Post Office strikes this holiday season! Ram was "delivered" yesterday... not in mailbox, asked neighbor who they have delivered to by "accident" before to check his mailbox too and not in there either. FML. Well the good news is its $50 off from what I paid from Newegg on a week backorder so I just ordered that set. If the stuff that was lost winds up showing up I guess I'll roll with 32GB or probably just return the more expensive set. I made sure this set is coming with FedEx tho. My NVME drive is shipping with USPS, hopefully that one isn't lost too but that isn't as big a deal and is cheap. Everything else has FedEx tracking thankfully...

I'm still half considering just going for broke and seeing if today/CM has any fire sales on 512mb NVME drives and just running two of them in a Raid0 for the OS/games. Hell I see this being the way that cases are going soon honestly. No optical or HDD bay to take up space although my Fractal has them behind the mobo anyway so no issue for me. Just throw your OS/games on M2 drives and then have your storage in a big external enclosure via e-sata or USBC or something. I mean just from a space saving/convenience standpoint alone a mini-ITX form factor/size case would be great just needing M2 drives internally and a single GPU with an AIO on the chip and AIO on the card.

Oh... Ish, maybe you could recommend a solid NAS that holds 2 or 3 drives and doesn't use a ton of power and can run stuff like Plex Media Server by itself? I have a server that I was running 24/7 but I don't pay for power right now. When I get to Europe that might be a little pricey to run 24/7 although I am going to be dropping it down to just a basic old AM3+ microATX mobo, a few fans, onboard graphics and an old Callisto Phenom II (95w chip). I could even put in an old Athlon II 24B chip for even less power consumption I suppose. Would something like that run as cheap/cheaper than a NAS you think?

#302 ·
Oh... Ish, maybe you could recommend a solid NAS that holds 2 or 3 drives and doesn't use a ton of power and can run stuff like Plex Media Server by itself? I have a server that I was running 24/7 but I don't pay for power right now. When I get to Europe that might be a little pricey to run 24/7 although I am going to be dropping it down to just a basic old AM3+ microATX mobo, a few fans, onboard graphics and an old Callisto Phenom II (95w chip). I could even put in an old Athlon II 24B chip for even less power consumption I suppose. Would something like that run as cheap/cheaper than a NAS you think?
For a home setting or small business, I would recommend using an old PC that has decent onboard raid and installing FreeNAS on it.

FreeNAS Storage Operating System | Open Source - FreeNAS - Open Source Storage Operating System

I've been using this for personal use since like ... 2008 or so. Never had any issues, it's always worked great. I've even built lower end systems with decent onboard raid, nice HDD's and good PSU's and installed them in several businesses.

There is a little bit of setup to them but nothing crazy, you shouldn't have any issues if you go that route. Just make sure you can find raid drivers for whatever version of FreeBSD that FreeNAS is running.

You could also use OpenMediaVault. It's similar to FreeNAS but has plugins for things like bit-torrent and PLEX if you want everything together on a single system without VM's. I've not used it but have heard good things.

Another alternative and one that I have thought about, if I ever go the PLEX route is getting some decent hardware and going with VM's. I've had a parts list for over a year about doing something like this. Basically, a mid-range build (likely ryzen 1600 with 32GB ram) and install VMware ESXi as the hypervisor then install FreeNAS, then something like Ubuntu and maybe something else. Only thing stopping me is no real need.

If you are looking for a plug and play type setup, I've always tried to use Drobo if it's in the budget. They make good stuff and it just works.

Synology is generally pretty decent. I've never used their lower end stuff but the enterprise stuff is good for the money.

I've also installed some Buffalo LinkStations but out of the probably 20 I have setup, they have all lost drives within the first 2 years. Not sure what it is about these but they eat drives. Doesn't seem to matter if they are Seagate, Western Digital/HGST, IBM or Toshiba. I've lost drives with all of them.

As for the hardware, I would think a Callisto Phenom would be able to do what you are asking. I'm not sure how many streams you are running through PLEX with that CPU but 1 or 2 should be possible, especially if you can unlock a core or 2 on it. Assuming you aren't just using it as a NAS.

The biggest drawback on that old of hardware besides power draw is the going to be your disk speed, ram for caching and possibly network speed. On my NAS, I went from using an old first gen I7 920 with sata 2 to a Pentium G4560 and noticed much better performance over the network. Transfer speeds are now maxing out my local gigabit network at 111 - 118 MB/s and are best of all, consistent. On the old setup, I would get around 88 MB/s but get some heavy fluctuations. Also, according to my Kill A Watt, power draw dropped from around 250 watts under load on the I7 920+ 7750 GPU to around 85 watts on the G4560. Storage drives haven't changed between the two systems.

Check this out for power draw - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Phenom_II_X6_1055T/11.html

Looks like the 6 core Phenoms use the same or less power at idle than the 2 core Callisto 550BE and the 6 core only draws 40 more watts under load. You still have that OG 6 core Phenom?

#301 ·
Chased after the postal truck today and flagged her down lol. Told her about the package and she found it in another mailbox so... yeah... Anyway. Just waiting on the NVME drive which is going to be a slow shipper direct from Adata. Those suckers sold out real fast, kinda wish I had got 2 because wife's laptop just came in and going to bump the ram to 8gb and throw at least a cheap M2 sata III in there.

#303 · (Edited)
Yeah I still have it. It's a phenom II 1055t. It's in my daughters PC now but she's getting my 8350 and the wife is getting the 6300. Both with R9 290 GPUs. Spare processors will be the 1055t, the Callisto and an old b24 Athlon 2 3.0ghz.

This machine will be exclusively as a server yes. Nothing else. What about just using the windows onboard "raid" setup and rolling with that?

Rest of the machine is a cx430 power supply, ASRock microatx Mobo and FirePro w4100 for video output. Or an old hd7850... Whatever is handy since that Mobo doesn't have onboard video.

#304 ·
Just so we are clear.... when you say server ... do you mean like a simple NAS or do you want it to also transcode for PLEX?

If you want to do PLEX, that 1055t will be a beast. I'm not sure if PLEX can transcode using a GPU, if so, that 7850 should work rather well as all GCN cards are monsters at that kind of workload, assuming OpenCL is used.

If it's just going to be a simple NAS, run the lowest power CPU you have, as it should be more than fast enough. Hell, you could even mess with undervolting/underclocking if you want to save some cash on your electric bill once you get to Spain.

You could use the software raid in Windows if you want. You won't see anywhere near the performance gains as running hardware raid but it's a simple and great option for spanning and mirroring multiple drives.

#305 ·
Yeah I need to to transcode. I want to be able to just throw all my media on the machine and Plex Media Server and then run it to all my Rokus.

So I'm assuming the 1055t with the 7850 for the Plex server and call it good? I mean I don't have to have it on 24/7 but if I get electric included or something... maybe.

#306 ·
And as far as going for a hardware RAID. Do you have a suggestion there? I have been running my two 480GB SSDs in a "RAID0" via the Windows 10 setup as well as three 2TB drives that were spares I put into a RAID0 (very reliable Seagate business drives) and they were fine for over a year in that setup with the Win10 controlling it but I'd at least want the two SSDs in the RAID0 for gaming to have optimal speed/performance. Storage wise I'll probably just run a single 3TB for my main machine and two or three large drives in the server if I wind up going with a server over there. For the server I'm not too worried about the Windows 10 "RAID" option as its just going to be storage.

#307 ·
Also holy crap even that Athlon II chip pulls more power than that 1055t at idle damn... welp I guess I know which processor I'm going with for a server lol.

#308 ·
Got the wife's laptop all done last night and her old (my old actually) laptop is back to me so I can ditch my 14" work laptop.

Hers is an Acer Aspire 15" with an i3 kaby (I think), I upgraded to 8 gigs of DDR4 and wiped out the 1TB drive it came with and installed an ADATA NVME drive for the OS making the 1TB the secondary.

This is my first experience with a NVME drive and all I can say is HOLY ****!!! I cannot WAIT to get my new system together and use the NVME there as well. Its like what SSD was to HDD, system boots damn near instantly and apps/web pages open up fully as soon as you click them. Truly a game changer...

#309 ·
NVME drives running on PCIE are quite fast compared to all other storage options. That said, for gaming and similar type of loads, there isn't a huge difference between NVME and a good SATA3 SSD. At least none that I've noticed.

As for hardware vs software raid, running software raid via windows works pretty well to be honest but you won't see the performance in real world applications as you would vs hardware raid.

https://foxdeploy.com/2015/10/30/windows-vs-intel-raid-performance-smackdown/

As for configuring, it completely depends on your motherboard. Some have applications that you can use to setup in Windows, other require you to do it via the bios.

Either one is pretty simple.

#310 ·
Finished getting it together this morning. Pretty straightforward except one less fan header for my massive amounts of fans lol. I got it since one of them is a 1.5A port so I could bug in a few xtra fans there.

Haven't had much time to mess with it while getting the Mustang finished up but I'll get it.

Attachments

#311 ·
Hey Ish, sorry to bug you again. Tax refund about to come in... might consider a GPU upgrade to go with the CPU upgrade when my household goods get here and I verify all my PC stuff is working correctly after the trip.

Got the 2 air cooled Furies in a crossfire right now. Would either put one each in my wife and kid's machines or just leave them with the 290s they already have (1080p) and sell the furies (or the 290s).

What sort of card am I looking at as an actual upgrade to the xfired Furies right now? Single card. Have not been looking too much at GPU prices but they look bat**** crazy right now. Even on ebay you can't find anything good used...

Would a single 1070 with my water cooler on it be an upgrade or just a sidegrade for 3440x1440? I mean... even as a sidegrade it'd probably be an upgrade for games that can't use both my Furies right? Why I'm asking lol.

#312 ·
First off, congrats again on the move to Spain. It looks like you found one hell of a nice spot to call home for a while.

You picked a horrible time to want to upgrade.

GPU prices are insane. I just sold a 1080ti I paid $680 for a few months ago, for $1300. I've thought about dumping my Titan X's but don't want to buy a Titan V. Things are just crazy.

That said, depending on the game, the difference between a single Fury and a 1070 could be nothing or could be a 20-30% gain on the 1070. Completely depends on the game. Hell, I had a friend of mine that upgraded from a 290X, to a 1070, then sent the 1070 back as it wasn't as much of an upgrade as he was expecting. He then bought a 1080, did the same, then finally ended up with a 1080ti.

To be honest, the Fury is still an impressive card. Shame that AMD pulled the plug on the fiji chips so fast.

For comparison, the Fury lineup stacks between the 1060 6GB - 1070 - 1070ti depending on the game. For a real upgrade, a 1080ti is a must. Even then, don't expect a massive difference in some games.

For your reference, here is a 3DMark TimeSpy comparison of my single oc'd Fury X, an oc'd 1080Ti (was hitting 2080 Mhz peak), and my oc'd cfx 290X's - https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/705943/spy/3074295/spy/123884#

You can see that cfx 290x give the 1080ti a good run for its money. Since a Fury card is 20 - 30% faster than a 290x, you can figure out how much faster your system would be than a single 1080ti, when the game uses them properly.

I would personally wait for the market to crash .. or stabilize. The massive drop in crypto currencies should make the smaller miners question their purchases and maybe start dumping their cards. Then again, its the crypto market so nobody has any idea. This recent crash I think had some people just getting into it mining questioning their life decisions. I've saw that it rebounded around 10%+.

Not sure how much prices are in Europe but I know there is a global shortage, so I'd assume prices are inflated over there too.

#313 ·
Ok so just leave the Furies and in xfired games I might see 1080ti peformance? I can live with that lol. I am going to be playing a lot of Elite Dangerous again so I know that'll be able to use them. Not sure about the new Mordor if it does or not.

Thanks for the info, yeah I saw how crazy the prices were, I suppose my Furies at $230 each was great at the time. I hate the crypto thing... I mean I don't hate it but I hate what it has done to CPU building. If its like this in a few years I dunno I might buy a console lol.

And price wise I have no idea what Europe prices are, I have a US PO Box so I still get everything from the USA sent to a "USA Address".

Thanks again for the advice, I'll keep waiting for my stuff to get here, set it up and finish burning it all in. Set the Ryzen to 4.0ghz and mess with the OC on the Furies a little I suppose. Have my 3440x1440 monitor and then I also got a few 24" 1080p monitors to go on each side of that because I'm sick of having to deal with "one" monitor for when I'm just using the PC lol. The split screen is a little clunky.

I'll go ahead and put this money I'm not spending to a 16GB Nvidia Shield for my downstairs gaming room I'm going to set up. Fiber is installed and I'm getting upwards of 300mpbs down for about $75USD per month. Crazy...

#314 ·
If the Furies work as they should in cfx, they should be faster than a single 1080ti by like 15-20%.

I believe Shadow of War supports SLI/CFX and seems to scale reasonably well on RX480/580 and Vega. Haven't seen anything with Fury CFX, but should scale just as well.

You should be able to hit 3.9 - 4.1 Ghz on the Ryzen with fast memory timings. Instead of overclocking the Furies, I would try flashing the bios on them and unlocking them to Fury X's, then going to push the OC. The few Fury X's I've gotten my hands on could do 1175 - 1250 mhz with a little tweaking of the power limits and a little more voltage. The best thing with Fiji chips is the scaling is great and doesn't seem to drop off.

The one big drawback to Fiji with current drivers is that they nerfed HBM overclocking, even bios modded HBM speeds refer back to 500 Mhz. Bumping the HBM OC to around 545 would give about a 5% increase in most situations.

This should have about all the info you will need -
Fiji Bios Editing ( Fury / Fury X / Nano / Radeon Pro Duo ) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

#315 ·
Well as long as there is no chance of bricking them with the X bios I'm all for it.

#316 ·
Household goods got here yesterday. Basement is like a bomb went off... Going to be a bit before it all gets sorted. Did dig my router out and set it up with smartdns proxy. All devices work for all the streaming sites I use without VPN slowdown. I still have an old private internet access VPN membership if I need it for downloading files. Got my $80 back from Nord.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#317 ·
Computer is set up! Runs fast as hell not overclocked yet at all... but... Green and then blue thin lines on my 34" ultrawide wth... now... I reloaded the drivers, messed with the cables and loaded the LG on-screen protocol driver and it seems to have gone away although the lines were still there when I had everything disconnected and "no signal" was on the screen so I'm assuming something got borked on the inside or something...

As of right now it is gone tho. Thing is out of warranty of course and I'm the kind of person who that would drive up a wall. Going to wait and see if it comes back.

That said... my kid wants me to get a new monitor so she can have this one lol... I dunno I'm getting back into first person shooters and the 75hz refresh on this thing is not the greatest.

Kicking around getting this guy with the lower resolution and 16:9 ratio with 165hz refresh rate and going back to a triple setup with this one in the middle and then 2 regular ones on the outsides for ease of use when I'm multi tasking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HZ7CZK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#318 ·
The issue with that monitor is the size and the resolution. For optimal viewing, you want something around the 105 - 130 ppi (pixels per inch). With that monitor, you would be at 69.9 ppi. Your ultrawide for comparison is 109.7 ppi.

That monitor would have the same ppi as a 21.5" monitor at 1280 x 720 (720p). Essentially, everything on that monitor would take on a minecraft aesthetic. To give another example, it would have a similar ppi of 2048 x 864 on your ultrawide or be nearly the same as a 4k 65" tv.

Also, that monitor does not support VESA mounting .. so you are stuck with just using the stand that it came with.

That thing is also a VA panel, so better than a TN, but not as good as the IPS you had. So color accuracy will be a little off, but at the advantage of much higher refresh.

I have things to do, I will return to this later.

#319 ·
No rush, if you are busy you are busy. Yeah I know the monitor would be pretty pixelated especially coming from what I have now... Was just kicking it around for getting back into being competitive with FPS or at least trying to... So I'm going to assume I'll want to either just stick with what I have and deal with 75hz or jump down to a 16:9 1440p monitor if I want a 144hz refresh. I don't see any point really to getting one of the 100hz ultrawides. I dunno. I'll keep banging around Amazon. Thx as always.

#320 · (Edited)
Well... used all day today and the lines stayed gone. Here's hoping it was just something that needed to un**** itself over a day of operation after having not been used in 3 months. I dunno... I had it in the box it came in packed just like it came.

For my kid... I am really considering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JJ8V4S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

82ppi... but... she's 9 and plays mostly minecraft and sims and a few others. Curved, she'd have 0 issues with my old 8350 and water cooled R9 290 cranked all the way up in Afterburner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.