Windows 10 official release/rollout is here - Page 10 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #316
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Household goods got here yesterday. Basement is like a bomb went off... Going to be a bit before it all gets sorted. Did dig my router out and set it up with smartdns proxy. All devices work for all the streaming sites I use without VPN slowdown. I still have an old private internet access VPN membership if I need it for downloading files. Got my $80 back from Nord.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #317
Staff
Regular
Staff

Computer is set up! Runs fast as hell not overclocked yet at all... but... Green and then blue thin lines on my 34" ultrawide wth... now... I reloaded the drivers, messed with the cables and loaded the LG on-screen protocol driver and it seems to have gone away although the lines were still there when I had everything disconnected and "no signal" was on the screen so I'm assuming something got borked on the inside or something...

As of right now it is gone tho. Thing is out of warranty of course and I'm the kind of person who that would drive up a wall. Going to wait and see if it comes back.

That said... my kid wants me to get a new monitor so she can have this one lol... I dunno I'm getting back into first person shooters and the 75hz refresh on this thing is not the greatest.

Kicking around getting this guy with the lower resolution and 16:9 ratio with 165hz refresh rate and going back to a triple setup with this one in the middle and then 2 regular ones on the outsides for ease of use when I'm multi tasking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #318
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The issue with that monitor is the size and the resolution. For optimal viewing, you want something around the 105 - 130 ppi (pixels per inch). With that monitor, you would be at 69.9 ppi. Your ultrawide for comparison is 109.7 ppi.

That monitor would have the same ppi as a 21.5" monitor at 1280 x 720 (720p). Essentially, everything on that monitor would take on a minecraft aesthetic. To give another example, it would have a similar ppi of 2048 x 864 on your ultrawide or be nearly the same as a 4k 65" tv.

Also, that monitor does not support VESA mounting .. so you are stuck with just using the stand that it came with.

That thing is also a VA panel, so better than a TN, but not as good as the IPS you had. So color accuracy will be a little off, but at the advantage of much higher refresh.

I have things to do, I will return to this later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #319
Staff
Regular
Staff

No rush, if you are busy you are busy. Yeah I know the monitor would be pretty pixelated especially coming from what I have now... Was just kicking it around for getting back into being competitive with FPS or at least trying to... So I'm going to assume I'll want to either just stick with what I have and deal with 75hz or jump down to a 16:9 1440p monitor if I want a 144hz refresh. I don't see any point really to getting one of the 100hz ultrawides. I dunno. I'll keep banging around Amazon. Thx as always.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #320
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well... used all day today and the lines stayed gone. Here's hoping it was just something that needed to un**** itself over a day of operation after having not been used in 3 months. I dunno... I had it in the box it came in packed just like it came.

For my kid... I am really considering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

82ppi... but... she's 9 and plays mostly minecraft and sims and a few others. Curved, she'd have 0 issues with my old 8350 and water cooled R9 290 cranked all the way up in Afterburner.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #321
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well day 3 and so far so good on the Ultrawide... no idea what the hell caused those lines. Moisture in there from the move or something that cleared out? Went from green line to blue line to no lines and stayed that way. Ordered my kid that 27" curved 1080p Sceptre monitor and she is really excited about it. PPI a little low but she'll be fine, she's turning 9...

Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 AM   #322
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've had Windows 10 for a year without problems on a Hp 15 laptop @ 1.6 Ghz w/ 4 gigs of ram. I want to build another PC as I have a good case for the build. 10 has impressed me on the laptop so far. Is 10 working with SCT tuners yet? I have an SCT 3 but I don't think it will work with the S550 platform cars.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #323
Staff
Regular
Staff

My sct3 works with Windows just fine, I would assume all the newer stuff would have to. Also the Lund nGauge.

Right now GPU prices are nuts tho... Like massive overpriced...

Old 03-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #324
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, life decided to get crazy on me.

Glad to see the ultrawide fixed itself. Not sure what could cause that unless it was moisture or something strange.

That monitor looks like a good deal for a 9 year old. I'm sure she will be happy to have it. Make sure to use a displayport cable and crank the refresh rate and enable freesync.

As for building a new system ... scotty is right. GPU and DDR4 prices are still insane. If you are a gamer, I would advise holding off for the next few months as AMD is releasing Ryzen 2 soon and will likely shake things up on the CPU front.

Also, I didn't have issues using my SCT X4 with Windows 10.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #325
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah very intersted in Ryzen 2. And you mentioned that the motherboards and RAM we have now should work fine on the new chips? Because I just got this Taichi and got a screaming good deal on BF on the G Skill FlareX 3200mhz RAM that actually does clock to 3200 unlike a lot of them.

Any rumors of what exactly is going to be better about 2 vs the current chips? I'm still breaking in this 1600 lol.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #326
Registered Member
Regular

All you need to do is update the bios when Ryzen 2 launches and you are good to go.

The difference between the two is basically faster memory support (2933 official, so likely 3200 - 3600 unofficial), higher clock speeds (supposedly some models can do around 4.4Ghz out of the box) and around a 5-15% increase in IPC depending on the task.

In extreme cases, I wouldn't be surprised to see 30% gains over current models in some tasks. I would say overall, gains will be around 10% vs 1st gen Ryzen with comparable models.

If these can OC to around 4.6+ Ghz, they will be nasty.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #327
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's what I want to see. I am clocked RAM wise at 3200 right now so I'm good there. If gains are minimal then meh. If they are significant I'll probably get a middle of the road mobo and swap the 1600 to my kid's PC and then get a new chip for me. But... like I said I'm still breaking in the 1600.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:43 AM   #328
Registered Member
Regular

As to SCT tuners I wish SCT would sent out a software upgrade for SCT 3 so I didn't have to buy a new SCT 4 tuner for my 16 GT. I am dying for a "Micro Center" near me. After moving from Houston I must use the internet and Newegg for most PC parts.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #329
Staff
Regular
Staff

SCT3 doesn't work for the newer cars? Works great for the older ones lol... stupid cheap to pick one up now and it loads tunes as well as the 4 does...

Old 03-20-2018, 04:28 AM   #330
Registered Member
Regular

After S-197 platform the S 550 has "push button" start and the SCT 3 tuners don't work with the platform is my understanding. I keep researching and searching to no avail.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #331
Staff
Regular
Staff

Finally got my daughter's build together since we've moved. Had to wait to get her a loft bed with a built in desk because of these smaller rooms in Spain. Worked out very well. Lot of my old components.

-FX8350 clocked to 4.6 on air
-R9 290 water cooled cranked up as high as it'll go on stock voltage
-M5A99FX Pro 2.0 motherboard
-Challenger S case
-120gb SSD for OS/apps, 480SSD for games, 2x2TB HDD in a Raid0 for media
-16GB ram
-TX650w Corsair PSU
-27" Sceptre curved 1080p monitor
-21" random Acer 1080p monitor I had lying around
-Sidewinder keyboard, G Skill MX780 gaming mouse
-XB 360 controller

Thing hauls *** for what she does which is modded Minecraft, OG Starcraft, Overwatch, Fortnite and Sims plus a few other games. Max settings on 1080p without even trying. I know the FX processors are very long in the tooth but can't argue with the results and FPS she is getting...

edit: not my finest work as far as interior/exterior cable management but it gets it done. Zip tied the GPU from metal bracket to metal bracket to keep it from sagging. Thinking of adding a 2nd fan to the radiator on the GPU but doesn't seem like it needs it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	juliepc1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	255026   Click image for larger version

Name:	juliepc2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	255034  

Old 04-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #332
Staff
Regular
Staff

I think I have enough monitors... Ultrawide is freestanding, nowhere near enough room for the 2 on the side without arm mounts and even if the desk was wide enough I'd still have to use the mounts to position them where I wanted. Works out really well... Have a few extra holes in my desk because I didn't drill in the right spot the first time... oh well... can't see them and I ordered 5/16" plastic plugs anyway so they will be a non issue. I have to say... I really missed having 3 monitors. The screen split on the ultrawide works ok but I don't see myself ever having a single monitor again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trimonitors.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	255393  

Old 04-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #333
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ultrawide been working fine 0 issues since the lines went away. No idea, maybe some moisture got in there when it was shipped or something?

Anyway, been working great. Able to overclock at 3.8ghz as low as 1.3V but its right on the edge so bumped it to 1.325 and it'll run 10 passes on IBT at Very High 0 issues and super cool. That big Cryorig cooler isn't even trying, the fans barely increase in RPM at all lol.

Only issue is that even at 1.42 volts I can't get it stable at 4.0ghz. It'll post and work just fine for regular stuff but it'll freeze in IBT. I have not tried 3.9ghz yet, I might give that a shot. At this point I think I'll be happy with a lower voltage 3.8ghz. Not sure what I'd gain from 200mhz except just to say I did it. I'm sure if I really cranked the volts to 1.45 or something it'd do it but... I'd like this to last awhile. Even at stock 3.2ghz speeds games look ridiculously good. Finally started a Doom playthrough even tho it came out 2 years ago... looks great. I keep hearing how good FarCry5 is, might give that a shot.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #334
Registered Member
Regular

I really like the Ryzen CPU's. AMD has done an excellent job with them. If they could just get their clock speeds higher, Ryzen could crush Intel.

That said, Ryzen runs super chill compared to the Intel chips. Try overclocking 800 - 1000 Mhz on Intel and you need water cooling. Attempt the same on Ryzen and any decent aftermarket air cooler won't break a sweat. Really impressed so far.

That said, yesterday I just finished a build for a photographer and it was a Ryzen 2700X, G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600 @ 3400 Mhz with amazingly tight timings (14-14-14), Asus TUF X470, Noctua D15 cooler, a Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB NVMe OS/App drive, dual Crucial MX500 1TB in Raid 0 (scratch drive and storage), 6TB HGST HDD for backups and archiving (also has a NAS that is set for automatic backup), and a carry over GTX 1060 6GB GPU all in an Fractal Define R6 with most of the sound deadening installed.

While not a gaming machine because of the GPU, it crushes productivity programs and multi tasks like a beast. Under extreme load with the stock cooler, the temps were getting a bit high (85c+) to the point where throttling started to happen. I swapped out the stock cooler, which btw is very nice for a stock cooler (RGBling) and went with the only AM4 supported air cooler I had in stock, a Noctua D15. That dropped temps down to the mid 50's under extended load testing and was near silent. It is a behemoth of a cooler, I had been so used to playing around with water cooling that I forgotten how monstrous that thing is.

Also, that thing runs 4.35 Ghz in some less multi-threaded programs all by itself and drops under 4.0 Ghz once the thing started getting hot on the stock cooler. On the Noctua, it maintains 4.35 - 4.0 Ghz nearly all the time. That XFR crap finally works pretty well. I didn't mess with overclocking it or anything as it's sole purpose in life is to work and make it's owner money. Like I mentioned, I tweaked the memory timings a little and woke it up. Going from the 17-18-18 to the 14-14-14 added around a 5-10% jump in performance depending on the application.

I did run cinebench and it scored quite well. 185 single threaded and 1854 multi-threaded after the memory tweaks. I think the motherboard had something enabled where it would force a certain minimum turbo frequency. I never dug much into it as it was stable as a rock.

The worst thing is, I think this specific CPU is a great one. I would have loved to have kept it and tweaked it. From what it was running at with the voltages and temps, it seems to be one of the better ones out there. I have seen posts of people hitting 4.4 Ghz on extreme water setups and if those speeds become more common, these could go down as one of the best performance per dollar CPUs in history.

That is my rant for Ryzen 2.

I know people that have ran their Ryzen since launch at 1.45v and not had any issues. It's not so much the voltage that kills/degrades, it's the temps. If you can maintain decent temps on high voltage, your CPU will last. If you have high voltage and high temps, your CPU will degrade and fail over time.

Ryzen 1 seems hit 3.8 - 4.0 Ghz. Some can manage 4.1+ but those are rare. If you can boot into Windows at 4.0 Ghz but is unstable, drop it down to 3.9 and maybe add a hair of voltage or tighten up the LLC (load line calibration). Then run Asus Realbench for a few hours, if stable then you are likely good to go. IBT and others are starting to hammer on the CPU's pretty hard, it seems that more threads your CPU has, the more likely it will fail on IBT.

I wasn't a fan of Doom 2016 until about a 1/4 the way through it. For some reason it just felt like CoD. I think it was the movement speed or something. Ended up being a good game, didn't care for the multiplayer much. Far Cry 5 is good. If you liked 3 or 4, then it's essentially that but with more polish. The coop has been a blast.

Sorry I haven't been on here much lately. I've was busy with things.....

I hated it. It's like meeting your childhood hero, only to find out that person is a total D Bagger. It's been a long time since I had driven a Gen 2. Got into this one (99 ACR) and couldn't adjust the seat enough that my head wasn't pressed against the roof liner (I'm 6'3.5 without shoes last week at the doctors office), my feet barely fit and I was constantly two peddling it (stoopid size 15 shoes or dumb pedals that are all offset to the left and only have an inch between each of the pedals), I literally can't place my foot on the gas pedal without it being rotated as to not hit the brake pedal. Can't say how many times I've went for the clutch and hit the brakes or the gas. Also took me about 1 minute to get into the car and about 3 minutes to get out.

Car is fun and also kinda slow (just ... not fast) but sadly ... not for me. What I find amusing about the whole thing ... is that and I can't believe I even thought of this .... but ......... my old af Z28 is a better overall car. It's more usable (expected), faster in a straight line but not by much (heads/cam LS1), better MPG, I can easily fit, parts aren't crazy expensive, nobody cares/doesn't grab attention, it sounds better (subjective but cammed LSx wins), doesn't set itself on fire because of side pipes, has a nicer interior (that doesn't resemble an H1 Humvee), has better brakes (not stock) and just feels overall more refined.

My time with the Viper was like one of those 2-3 week relationships in high school/college. The one where the girl is built like a porn star ... but then afterwords ... it's just like ... meh.

I can now remove the 96 - 02 Viper GTS from my "want to own cars" list.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #335
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol damn that is sick... but yeah I hear you on how it must feel although I'm a little smaller so I might fit better... I'd love to own a 99... But if I wind up back in the states in a few years its 100% going to be the cleanest 11/12 automatic Coyote I can find bone stock and then go from there. Why not just go with a 2018GT tho? They're kinda idiotic fast.

As for the PC, I was thinking that it might be IBT itself that is the issue although it is rock solid stable 58C at the highest temperature at 3.8ghz for 20 passes on Very High. That is with the huge Cryorig R1. Ram is the G Skill FlareX at 3200 with the 14-14-14 timings as well. NVME 128 Samsung EVO for OS/main programs and two 480GB SSDs in a RAID 0 for games with the dual Furies. I'm getting ridonculous performance with Doom at completely maxxed out settings at 3440x1440, its nuts. I still need to look into flashing these things to the FuryX and then trying to get what little overclock you can get with the HBM on them.

A far as this chip, I can hit 3.8ghz at 1.3V with LLC at the last setting before disabling it (2) so I'll turn it to 1 and kick the vcore back up to 1.375 and go from there in Realbench. I got it to boot and bang around in Chrome and play music at 4.2ghz tho... so maybe on Realbench it'll be more stable? Here's hoping. Thing overclocked right up to 3.8 without even trying tho, I was shocked.

You think it would be beneficial this fall on BF to upgrade to Ryzen 2 if I can get this thing stable at 4.0-4.2? I don't think I'd need to upgrade anything else except I might see if GPU prices drop at all and get one big single card and sell the Furies. I know the 1080s are getting close to what they were... guy at work just got one for $650 new. But I have a Freesync monitor so probably would want to look at Vega? I dunno.

Thanks, as always, for all the advice I really appreciate it. Gotta stay up all day after working all night to take care of some stuff this morning/afternoon but gonna get a few hours in on it here in a bit. I need to start buying some newer games too now to take full advantage of having a "higher end' processor for the first time in awhile... I heard the new Mordor kinda sucks with the mircotransactions and such. If you have any suggestions for "must play" games that are newer I'm all ears. I play pretty much anything... just not too into Fortnite or Pub... Which it seems all the kids are playing these days lol.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:48 AM   #336
Registered Member
Regular

The 2018 Mustang with the ubertrans are pretty quick. I just still can't get into the coyote engines along with the looks of the S550. They are ugly and the engines just feel weak, regardless of how fast they are. I think it's because of how they build power or something. If I get a V8, I want that immediate push you into the seat torque and none of the coyotes I have been in have done that. They all kinda remind me of a Honda, obviously faster but enough low end to move the car, decent mid range and then sorta vtech kicks in yo. That linear power delivery up until the last few thousand RPM when it comes alive. I don't know, I think I've ruined myself for cars when I make the claim that a 99 Fbody is a better car than a Viper... wtf is wrong with me.

One thing you should know about Doom .. if you don't already. It only uses 1 card. I know when I had my Fury X, it ran Doom under Vulkan amazingly well. Nearly as good as a GTX 1080. If you like Doom, check out the new Wolfenstein games, they are good.

The biggest thing I have noticed with messing with Ryzen is that there is a ton of vrdroop when under load. If you are unfamiliar, it's when the voltage drops because of the sudden increase in load and then crashes. Kinda like an engine going lean under load.

As for swapping to Ryzen 2, it's too early to tell. I would say if 4.4 Ghz+ becomes the norm for these under good cooling, then it might be worth jumping into if you feel like going custom water, especially jumping to an 8 core.

Besides the clock speed bump, the higher memory support certainly helps. I have seen benchmarks of people running DDR4 4000 @ 14-14-14-28, which is damned impressive. Also seen benchmarks of people hitting 4.55 Ghz @ 1.512v on giant custom water loops and the scores it was posted were impressive. Ryzen seems like it doesn't stop scaling. As you know, FX started showing diminishing returns after 4.8-4.9 Ghz. Ryzen seems to just keep on chugging along. Very impressive actually.

I would say that the biggest gain you could expect would be replacing the furies with either vega or a 1080 or 1080ti. My Fury X failed (HBM memory corruption) and I sent it back to XFX and they replaced it with a Vega 56, no questions asked and that is what I am currently using. It seems to run pretty well. Faster than a 1070, not as fast as a 1080. It seems to hold 1550 Mhz out of the box. Bump up the power limit, turn up the fan and it runs 1590 Mhz without actually overclocking it. It's still on the stock reference cooler so I haven't messed with it much. I've thought about buying a waterblock for it and really going for 1750+ on the core.

As for games, I haven't played the new Mordor game but I do know that they have stopped with the micro-transactions recently. So might be worth picking up if it goes on sale.

Just looking through my recently played games on Steam and they are Homefront: The Revolution which I was just playing in coop with a few friends. Same with Far Cry 5 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. Also been playing Assetto Corsa in VR (Vive with my G27, 900 degrees rotation wheel, 3 pedals and a 6 spd) and it's glorious. That's about it for me. Been too busy working on my toys to get much game time in.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #337
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I have the Wolfenstein games, I just need to play the 2nd one. And yeah I figured Doom was only running on 1 card but it does great. Gotta love Vulkan... I'll probably look to replace the Furies with Vega if the prices come down at all, any specific recommendations on which one? I know I could probably sell each of these Furies for a pretty good price. Or re-use them in my kid/wife's computers and sell the 290s. Just want to stick with AMD because Freesync monitor and going forward G-Sync monitors are more expensive anyway.

Thanks again man.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #338
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm. Gigabyte Vega64 is $699 after $100 rebate card... I bet I could sell my 2 Furies for damn near that price... Hmmm.... But... I don't exactly need to and games with xfire support I'm thinking my 2 Furies would outperform it right?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #339
Registered Member
Regular

Vega 56/64 would outperform your Furies in everything that doesn't scale fairly well in xfire.

The main difference is that the Fury cards are starting to struggle with newer games and the high res textures. It seems that around 5.5-6 GB of textures is where the insane bandwidth of gen 1 HBM runs out. That is one thing to consider.

Also, I think card prices will drop soon back to near normal levels. It might be a good time to sell the Fury cards and upgrade to Vega or .... hold of for Vega 2 which should be out sometime this year.

Vega 2 will essentially be a similar refresh as Ryzen 2 was over Ryzen 1. Likely slightly more power savings, higher clock speeds and basically just more refinement.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #340
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ill probably hold off for BF sales then. Might just do a Ryzen 2/Vega 2 upgrade all at once and sell the Furies. Or sell the 290s and put 1 Fury each in the wife and kid's PC.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #341
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also wondering what is a fair price to sell Furies for? Ebay they seem to be going in the $250 range? Maybe a little more? Have half a mind to throw my old water cooled r9 290 in there and see if I can sell these Furies first so I'm not stuck with them? Can't imagine too much performance loss from a max over clocked 290 vs a stock air fury? That newegg deal right now is just pretty damn good...

Old 05-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #342
Staff
Regular
Staff

So bascially looking at card prices... that Vega64 is $700 after rebate card, the Vega56 cheapest is like $575 or so. Then I'm seeing 1080s and 1070ti cards for even less. I have a Freesync monitor, not sure how much performance hit I'd take having to use Vsync again if I went Nvidia.

My other option is to try to unlock these things to FuryX and try to crank them up some. Any opinions on what card would be best for me for what I do right now (3440x1440 gaming)? Any good reads on how to unlock these cards or if its even worth it? I mean the single Fury ran Doom GREAT so I might be overthinking this.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #343
Registered Member
Regular

How to unlock Fury - https://wccftech.com/howto-checking-...ock-full-fury/

and this - Activation of cores in Hawaii, Tonga and Fiji (unlockability tester ver 1.6 and atomtool) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

It will let you know if it is even possible. If it is, it may be unstable or may work perfectly, also works with R9 290 into 290x.

That has all the articles and guides you will need to tweak the Fury cards. On a side not, I don't believe that modifying the HBM speeds and timings works anymore. If you are running an older driver, it will work (don't remember which driver maybe 16.10 - 17.3) but unlocking the extra shaders will still work and I think modifying the power limit still works as well.

Fiji Bios Editing ( Fury / Fury X / Nano / Radeon Pro Duo ) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

If you are worried about flashing the bios on the cards, just make sure that they have the dual bios switch and you shouldn't have any issues as you will always have the original bios. Also, backup the original bios and throw it up into the cloud or something.

Doom is an outlier for performance. It uses Vulkan and uses it more effectively than any other API or game engine has ever done. The new Doom engine is optimized for AMD cards and it truly shows. Other newer titles don't have anywhere near that level of optimization for AMD cards. In fact, it seems that most new games are at best neutral in performance between AMD and Nvidia (Far Cry 5) or are so poorly optimized for AMD that even a GTX 1060 3GB is faster than Fury x or even Vega 64 and that is simply pathetic on the developers part ( https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/zu...YRZGJLkgPB.png ).

As for the Freesync monitor with Nvidia card, screen tearing is noticeable if you can't keep the display at or above it's refresh rate, just like a regular monitor.

Jumping between the Titans and the Vega 56, the Vega card feels much smoother, which I believe is because performance stays within that Freesync range. That Vega 56 seems to run at 1590 mhz most of the time. Occasionally dropping down to 1520 mhz. It's still on stock reference cooler so haven't pushed it much, was able to hit 930 Mhz on the HBM (stock is 800) and 1640 Mhz on the core (stock is 1520 - 1590).

At this point, I think GPU prices are getting to the point of stabilizing. I would try tweaking the fury cards at this point and seeing how they feel. If you think you need more performance, try holding off till more specs are released on the 7nm Vega. News on that should be coming in the next few months. Same with Nvidia's next gen cards. It would suck to spend $500 - $700 on a new GPU and then in only a month or two having something new release that is 50% faster at the same price point.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #344
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok gotcha. Thanks for the info. Will wait then, probably just do the BF thing again as I'm assuming they'll be out by then. Would def suck to buy a new card now if the 7nm ones are dropping. I just want to make sure it doesn't take as long as Vega took to come out lol.

edit: Ugh, maybe I should have went Nvidia/Gsync... 1070 with a water cooler back in 2016 was cheap and would still be kicking ***. Live and learn I guess. Although did some reading on Vega 20 and it looks like a nuclear option if the rumors are true so we'll see.

I have done some reading on the 56 and 64 current Vega and everything I'm seeing is saying if the price difference is substantial then get the 56 and you really won't miss any performance. I gotta see what these Furies look like on single card in other games besides Doom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar