Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Windows 10 official release/rollout is here

39K views 475 replies 20 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Will for damn sure be upgrading tomorrow. Fresh wipe and install Win10 Pro from the .iso I burnt tonight from the Microsoft website. Totally free for those who did not know. I recommend doing a clean wipe/install whenever doing a system upgrade and the Win10 Pro gets you bitlocker along with a few other worthwhile things.

I only went to Win8.1 myself for performance over 7 when gaming. 7 is still on my laptop and we still use it at work. I will be putting EVERYTHING on 10 though. Higher performance, and the biggie is DirectX 12 support which even 8.1 will not have.

Also going from 16 to 32 gigs of RAM on the gaming PC and going to try pull the case apart and clean everything out and then see how good the auto overclock feature on my newish motherboard is. Been running all 6 cores at 3.5ghz (up from 2.8ghz) on the auto feature for a few months now. Going to kick it up to 4.0ghz x6 and see what happens.

#226 ·
Well graphics score of 25000 in 3dmark11, still need to get Firestrike on here but holy ****... And playing now is at 4.0ghz. About to crank this sucker up to 5.0ghz and hold onto my bologna. I'm assuming 3dmark11 is 1080p results... in which case these aren't any better than a few 290x cards but I know at 1440p (where I play) these things will pull away from the Hawaii cards fast.

#231 ·
I haven't ran 3DMark11 in a while, my single 290X gets 18,614 in graphics score and my Fury X at 1180 Mhz only gets 19,116, a difference of 2.7%. The difference should be around 25% - 30%.

Result

My guess is that there is a massive CPU bottleneck since 3DM11 only runs at 720P (1280 x 720).

Grab the newer 3DMark and give Firstrike or TimeSpy a run, I'm curious as to what they get.

How much of a difference is 1440 over 1080? Right now I'm playing on an ultrawide 1080 and have been curious.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The difference between an ultrawide 1080 vs ultrawide 1440 is massive.

3440 x 1440 is 4,953,600 pixels. 2560 x 1080 is 2,764,800. So .. roughly 80% more pixels on the screen with 3440 x 1440 vs 2560 x 1080.

My son wants me to buy him a laptop that he can use for gaming. He's never done any gaming with a PC, so I don't want to go too cheap or too expensive. Anybody have any recommendations? I used to build systems in the mid to late 90's, but I've been out of the hardware scene since like 2000 haha.
First thing, does he actually need a laptop? A desktop will offer much higher performance at a lower cost.

Second thing, what games is he interested in playing??

Third, how much do you want to spend?? For a decent mid range laptop capable of playing newer titles on medium to low settings, you are looking to spend around $800 at a minimum.

That hardware will likely be an I7 quad, with a 2GB Nvidia GTX 960M graphics card, 8 - 16 GB of ram and a decent amount of storage with a 15.6" 1080p screen.

It will likely be similar to XSlashDashX laptop that he says is showing it's age.

To buy a laptop that is capable of playing games with medium to high settings, you are looking at spending around $1250 - $1500.

Gaming laptops = expensive.

#228 ·
Difference is massive. I went from three 24" 1080p monitors at 5760x1080 to a single 34" 3440x1440 and its completely amazingly sharper, clearer and better.

IMO, either get a 1440 ultrawide or this black Friday hit one of the sales for a real good 2560x1440 16:9 ratio gaming monitor at 27" or something.

#229 ·
Also one last thing I'm going to do is add a dedicated OS drive again. I only have 5 slots out back (3 HDD and 2 SSD). All slots are full so I'm going to mount a 64 or 128gb (whatever is on sale BF) to the water pump holes at the bottom front of the case. Plastic SSD tray and a few self tapping screws and bingo and it'll be right in a solid intake air stream too so it'll stay nice and cool. Going to replace the current 256 OS/Game drive I have back there with another Silicon Power 480GB and RAID0 them together. I'm almost out of room on my 480 so it'll double storage and boost performance. The 256 will go in the wife's computer and I'll load some games for her.

#230 ·
My son wants me to buy him a laptop that he can use for gaming. He's never done any gaming with a PC, so I don't want to go too cheap or too expensive. Anybody have any recommendations? I used to build systems in the mid to late 90's, but I've been out of the hardware scene since like 2000 haha.

#232 ·
Well... need to sort out crossfire for actual gaming still. Games like Mordor don't load right and then run like *** when they get going lol. Disable crossfire and it all works fine again nice and smooth. I'll keep trying and if not i'll throw one in my wife's computer and call it a day. Going to reload windows 10 from scratch next week on a new dedicated drive and hopefully that fixes it all.

#236 ·
#237 ·
I saw one on sale the other day with... I think it was a 6400 or 6500 i5, a 980M, 16 gigs of RAM and 17.3" for like $800. If I was still flying I would have bought that in 2 seconds. Gotta love BF/CM.

In other news, got CF working. I took the whole shebang apart after running DDU and shutting down. Re-seated both cards, rebooted and re-installed Crimson. Works! No idea... that's basically what I did the first time except I ran DDU and added a card, not pulled both and re-seated. Gremlins...

Results... surprisingly smooth so far in games I have it turned on for, max framerates are not really much higher if at all but minimum is up 10-15 fps across the board. I was dipping into the 30s in real intense portions of games with a lot of stuff going on all at once, now I don't see below mid 40s.

Running 3440x1440 with everything turnt up all the way and its glorious. I will have to be turning off CF in some games like Arkham Knight but the single Fury should still be able to push it well enough. I still might try to unlock them both and bump them a bit.

#238 ·
You guys have any knowledge/experience with the Alienware Aurora R4? I just picked one up last weekend. A guy wanted to trade my MSI Laptop for the Aurora R4 so I decided to do it. The case is massive though. Takes half my desk and weights a ton. So far I like it, no problems yet. It's faster then my laptop was. So far everything is stock to the liquid cooler.

Specs:
i7-4930K
16GB ddr3 1600 ram
GTX 690
1TB Hard drive
850 watts power supply

I've been looking at gtx 1080 cards. I do plan to upgrade the graphics card first.
Also I've been watching the temps and i'm not sure if its normal or not but I use Speccy to check temps and it seems pretty high? I'm a little worry about the motherboard temps and gpu temps under load.

CPU stays around 50 under load and about 40 at idle
Motherboard stays around 70-75 under load and about 55-60 at idle
GPU stays around 75-80 under load and about 35-40 at idle

#240 ·
I agree. Temps look decent.

The video card(s) are the only thing holding that system back. Jump to a 1070, 1080 or wait a little over a month for 1080ti or Vega and call it done.

If the 6 cores and 12 threads aren't enough, that motherboard will likely run an 8 core 16 thread beast known as the Xeon E5-1680 V2. Bonus about that CPU .... it's completely unlocked.

Overall ... that's one hell of an upgrade.

#244 ·
Not sure in what scenario you'd need two 1080s. Complete waste of money unless you are going for e-peen benchmarks. Also recommend a single ultrawide over multi monitor gaming. Been there, done that, single ultra is 1000x better and does not need a crazy card to run the newest games at Ultra either.

#246 ·
What don't you like? And a single 1080 will do all that as I'm assuming you are still on 1080p or your primary gaming will be 1440p and the secondary will be 1080p. Hell a 1070 would probably do fine too. I had a single Fury pushing 3440x1440 but threw a second one in there because of the ridiculous prices they are at now.

#247 · (Edited)
Got my media machine finalized. Steam link for downstairs plus PLEX/Kodi going on it as well. To make it kick *** on a 1080p TV via the link I grabbed a FX6300 processor and threw my old 212Evo cooler and the water cooled 290 I never sold in there. Also a 480gb SSD and 6TB worth of HDD storage. Tbth this thing is not exactly any slower than my main rig at 1080p.

Speaking of main rig... Switched the 6tb worth of storage from it to the media computer and put the 3tb drive from the media computer into it. Added a 2nd 480gb SSD for games (raid0) and kept the 256gb SSD for the main drive. Also grabbed a 160gb drive to put in there as a bitlocker secure disk for important stuff.

Both machines installing fresh W10 right now and I'll probably spend most of tomorrow getting them all set.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

#249 ·
Lol nah, just old *** case with bare metal everything. Antec circa 2002 or something. Built like a freaking tank. Had a 25lb weight fall on it once, just a small dent on the top of it and no issues at all lol. LOOOOVVEE having a media server (PLEX rocks) and now with steam link in the living room its even better. Wife is even FINALLY getting into gaming. Got Ori and the Blind Forest on steam and threw my remaining single HD7850 into her computer (callisto dual core 3.4ghz) and she's playing the **** out of it.

As for me... reloaded windows with the dual 480gb SSDs running steam games and omfg stuff loads in 2 seconds. Got a X56 Rhino for my flight/space sims too ($100 on ebay, needed the twist yaw potentiometer replaced=cheap) and that kicks *** too.

#251 ·
#253 ·
Make sure you do the safe mode method as well. Its all there in the instructions. Also good deal on the 1080 although its probably overkill. Will keep you from needing to buy a new card for awhile. I will be eagerly waiting for the new AMD chipsets to start dropping and probably farm my Furies out to the wife and kid's computers and grab the top AMD card this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.