Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Windows 10 official release/rollout is here

39K views 475 replies 20 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 Ā·
Will for damn sure be upgrading tomorrow. Fresh wipe and install Win10 Pro from the .iso I burnt tonight from the Microsoft website. Totally free for those who did not know. I recommend doing a clean wipe/install whenever doing a system upgrade and the Win10 Pro gets you bitlocker along with a few other worthwhile things.

I only went to Win8.1 myself for performance over 7 when gaming. 7 is still on my laptop and we still use it at work. I will be putting EVERYTHING on 10 though. Higher performance, and the biggie is DirectX 12 support which even 8.1 will not have.

Also going from 16 to 32 gigs of RAM on the gaming PC and going to try pull the case apart and clean everything out and then see how good the auto overclock feature on my newish motherboard is. Been running all 6 cores at 3.5ghz (up from 2.8ghz) on the auto feature for a few months now. Going to kick it up to 4.0ghz x6 and see what happens.

#2 Ā· (Edited)
Impressions after using it for a few days are that Win10 is solid. Win7 was nice and 8.1 is actually another really good system with classic shell installed but Win10... its just better.

There are a few things that are a little clunky but I really like it and since it'll have DX12 support its kinda required for those of us who game and plan on taking advantage of the newest stuff in the next year or two.

Any questions about the upgrade process, feel free to ask. I found the easiest thing was to make an installation disc from the downloadable .iso file. Some machines are able to upgrade and then wipe for a clean install but if not, you can do a "clean" install via the upgrade. HIGHLY recommend backing up all your files to an external drive and then choosing the "keep nothing" option when upgrading. Easy way to get a clean format for those not so technically inclined.

edit: Also the Edge browser is surprisingly good. I am using it now. I have a machine that is one of the few that hates Chrome. "waiting for cache" errors if I use it. Been using Firefox for awhile and Firefox is great but I'm giving this Edge browser a shot to see how I like it.

#3 Ā·
Win 10 is a legit successor to 7/8.1.

I've been using it on several systems at home and a few at work. Besides some issues with compatibility of older software it works amazingly well. I still wouldn't recommend installing in an enterprise environment as it's not quite there yet but most issues should be ironed out by the end of this year.

The Edge browser (Spartan) is quite the upgrade from IE. I still would recommend chrome or firefox with a few extensions (adblock and flashblock).

As far as system requirements, if you can run vista/7/8 then win 10 should work without any issues.

Dx12 will bring several improvements to the pc, the key feature being it's a low level api (application programming interface). That just basically means it's a much, much more effecient way for the software to communicate directly with the hardware. Also dx12 will support vram stacking which could prove to be something very cool once implemented by the devs.

As far as the upgrade from 7/8.1, we've done around 35 upgrades today, with no failures. So far, it's been a very good OS and completely worth the upgrade.

#5 Ā·
Yeah I actually did wind up going back to Firefox just a little bit ago. Novelty wore off. Like I said I can't use Chrome because for some reason this computer has the stupid "waiting for cache" issue that ONLY happens when Chrome is running. Its not too bad with Win10, it locks for about 4 or 5 seconds and then goes but in Win7 and 8... would lock up the computer for over a minute. No idea.

As far as the upgrades, yeah its easy except if the computer does not save the Win7 or Win8 key it has to the BIOS like my laptop did, can't do a clean wipe/install with the 10 disc. I wound up doing a clean install of Win7 Pro and then just doing the SP1 update only and as soon as that was done I put the disc in, let it go through the motions and then chose "keep nothing" which is effectively a clean install. Blah.

I really do like the system a lot tho. Everything I use is working fine and its FAST. I guess this is what happens when you have the pre-release out for as long as it was to work most of the bugs out. MS seems to have learned its lesson from Vista and Win8 to a lesser extent. And I don't even consider Win8 bad because they were just trying something that didn't really go over well with the public and they pretty much fixed it with 8.1 and classic shell was always there. I actually prefer a classic shell 8.1 to 7 but 10 blows them both away.

#6 Ā·
After a few days of using this... I really can't believe how out of the park Microsoft hit this thing. Smooth, intuitive except for a few little stupid things you have to customize, no driver issues at all and fixed whatever was freaking out my gaming rig in Win 8.1.

Can't wait to see what they do in the coming months with the XBox One/PC integration.

#8 Ā· (Edited)
Nope, just beating ass on the first good first person shooter that comes out where you can play pc and Xbox together. Going to be dusting the rust off on Counterstrike and then showing the controller jockeys wtf up.

Also been playing more Borderlands 2, it's getting pretty good. Also silky smooth at max graphics and detail although that's. It saying too much for this game. Not like a modded ENB Skyrim.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 Ā· (Edited)
**** intel, AMD all the way. I can get an AMD processor that will run a proverbial train on any game out for half of what a comparable intel will cost.

I'm still running an AMD processor from 2010 actually. 2.8ghz 6 core clocked to 3.6ghz x6 and it runs any game out just fine. I'll have to upgrade this year or next tho finally but it'll be very cost effective since I use AMD.

#12 Ā·
My Tower is:

-Vantec Mid Tower case
-ASRock(Asus) 990FX Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II Thuban 2.8ghz 6 core clocked to 3.6ghz
-32 gigs of 12800 Ram at stock timings
-Two Radeon HD7850s in a crossfire
-ADATA 256GB SSD for my OS and games
-WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD for storage
-Corsair 600w power supply

Sometime in the next year I am going to:

-Upgrade processor to a 5.2ghz AMD Octacore
-Install a 2nd 512GB-1TB SSD for games.
-Install a 4TB+ HDD for storage
-Most likely have to upgrade the power supply for more drives and the AMD Octacores are very power hungry.

Looking at $400-$500 or so on a Cyber Monday sale right there.

#13 Ā·
Scotty...You mentioned WIN 10 PRO. The ISO I had downloaded(about 4 GB) but haven't installed yet, makes no mention of the "PRO".
Do you happen to know, are all the ISO downloads the "PRO" version?

#14 Ā·
No, you choose home or pro when you run the iso maker tool from the Microsoft website. You can't install pro unless you are running a win7 or win8 pro version (or higher).

Also make sure to do the 64 bit version unless you have 4 gigs of ram or less. Which you'd only have if you have an old as hell system or bought an e-machines computer from wal mart lol.

#25 Ā·
Okay thanks!
I did get a new PC not too long ago, with some pretty good speed. I didn't get an SSD drive like I had planned. I did get a 10,000 RPM primary HDD (I think it's a WD Velociraptor) and a good graphics card (GeForce GTX 980) so I have no problems running the latest games.

#15 Ā· (Edited)
Half baked gaming PC

I'm probably going to get a better tower with an assload of ventilation when I get the new processor too. They are only like $50 for a ridiculous one.

Also built this for the wife back in 2011 for $400 or so and have upgraded it a few times since with hand me downs from my PC.

3.4ghz dual core AMD Phenom II
Gigabyte Motherboard that I forget the spec for
8 gigs of RAM
My old Radeon 4850
WD Caviar Black 1TB drive
Corsair 500w PSU

She doesn't game and honestly if she ever wanted to this thing could run most stuff out now at a decent setting.

#17 Ā·
I'm actually going to find out how compatible Win10 is with my SCT3 this weekend when I try to update it. Will be running in Win7 compatibility mode. If not, well I am building a garage PC out of spare parts that we are just throwing out at work so worst case, that will run Win7 Ultimate or even XP since I have a 2000 model year factory Ford technician CD for all vehicles made that year. But it only works with XP...

#19 Ā·
This is my current setup. Still does every game on Ultra or whatever their highest settings are. I don't use AA though so some may say my PC is not that great because of that. I just rather use the head room for other graphical options. AA is just a trick for the eyes to see straight lines.

Still using Win7 myself. So is it really worth upgrading to 10 for Gaming purposes?

Processor:
i7 4770k
RAM:
Kingston Hyper 8GB 1866 MHz
Motherboard:
Z87X-UD4H
Video Card:
AMD Radeon Sapphire Tri-Fan R9 290
Hard Disks:
120GB-SSD/250GB-HDD/1TB-HDD
Power Supply:
Corsair 750x
Case or Enclosure:
Antec 900v1
Monitor:
Asus 27"/Acer 23"
Audio Equipment:
Turtlebeach Earforce P11
Input Devices:
Logitech's mouse, key board, G27 wheel, etc

#22 Ā· (Edited)
3.7Muscle your setup is pretty damn good. I'm hoping to score a pair of R9s on the cheap this Cyber Monday but if not my 7850s will tide me over till there is a fire sale on them to get rid of all the old stock. My strategy for video cards is to score a set of "last year's" video cards for $100 each and then crossfire them and get the close to or the same benchmarks as dudes who pay $400+ for a single new crazy one. Has worked so far lol.

I'd recommend upping your ram though, 8 is a little low, 16 is the sweet spot right now for cost/performance. I have 32 gigs because of the price it was at vs the 16 at the time and now I'm future proofed for a good 4-5 years in that dept.

I also don't think I've bought a sound card in like... 10+ years. All the motherboards I have had since the late 2000s have had built in 5.1 outputs plus the orange RCA digital out plus my video cards do HDMI audio out.

As for your question about Win10. No performance benefit as far as gaming, already been proven there. I feel its snappier for overall use and Microsoft is going to push out a bunch of stuff to try to make ppl switch but you don't have to if you don't want to. Windows 7 will continue to receive updates till 2020 anyway but might as well get 10 now while its free and then make a backup image of an activated copy before the free period expires next July.

edit: Oh, and as far as visuals. You said you didn't do AA, but try FXAA if your game supports it. It works ridiculously well and uses very very little resources. I always have FXAA on when I have the option and notice zero slowdown with massively improved edges.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/12/what-is-fxaa/

#23 Ā·
Yea FXAA like in Skyrim for example I do use. Since it also offers more than "straight lines" and its way less taxing. Eh 8 gigs is good for now. Not one game that I know of uses more than 4 gigs and that's including windows and all it's services.

Yea the 290 I got it for a steal when it was new. $250! Watch out for B&H Audio/Video for sales thats where I got it. If you have a micro center in your area they are also the best place to get gear even used gear too. They will price match anything online/offline. Sounds cards? Pssssh since the 90s for me.

Computer building is one of my hobbies and I do a little side living off of it too. I'm a total N3RD.

#24 Ā·
I love 10 so far. Have any of you guys streamed Xbox one games to your PC? Worked flawlessly for me. There is a way you can change a file in the Xbox app to provide better resolution as well. I have changed the file, but have yet to stream since then. I'll post my build list up later. Here is a preview: Computer case Computer cooling Technology Cobalt blue Electronic instrument

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#30 Ā·
I'm far from a PC nerd.
I'm just a game player dating back to the original Duke Nukem games. LOL

#27 Ā·
You water cooled ppl and your fancy shenanigans. Ugh, I need to do some upgrading but actually I don't need too even though I am slightly CPU limited right now. I've kicked around playing with the voltages on this Thuban, I know they can hit 4.0ghz stable but I don't want to push a 5+ yr old CPU too far haha.

#28 Ā·
Scotty ... your CPU will easily hold 1.5Vcore, 24/7. Just watch temps and make sure they don't go past 68C.

The Deneb/Zosma/Thuban CPU's really hit their stride around 4.0 - 4.4 Ghz. They will still get crushed by nearly any Sandy Bridge I5 or better in gaming but they still run well.

As for Win 10 advantages in gaming.... Yes, in time... DX12.

DX12 will offer significant gains in performance over DX11. AMD has already proven the benefits of DX12 over DX11 in the Ashes of the Singularity demo. Given, AMD's DX11 drivers are nowhere near as optimized as Nvidia's, the results are there and they are huge. Up to 220% gains on AMD 390X in DX12 vs DX11.

DX12 GPU and CPU Performance Tested: Ashes of the Singularity Benchmark | PC Perspective

You can also check out 3dmark and run the benchmarks yourself. They have a DX11/DX12/Mantle test. The gains on the low level API's are huge compared to DX11 on any hardware that supports it.

Speaking of 3dmark .. everyone should download it and run firestrike and report their score. Just for fun -

3DMark cross-platform benchmark for Windows, Android and iOS

Here is the score from my work computer - AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-5820K Processor,ASRock X99 Extreme4

Here is my old desktop - AMD Radeon R9 290 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware 0J560M

#29 Ā· (Edited)
Yeah yeah I know my Thuban will get its butthole pushed in by an i5. But I paid under $150 for it in 2010 lol.

I need to get ahold of one of the FX Octacores this fall probably. And also I guess time to upgrade to a 600w PSU and swap mine into my wife's computer and her 500w Corsair into the one I'm building for my daughter for Xmas.

Don't know if a 600w will hold up to a 5ghz AMD and 2 video cards and 2 hard drives. If it does it's going to be right on the ragged edge. Probably just get a 900+.

#33 Ā·
My old FX8350 @ 5.3 Ghz, 2 x 8GB (16GB) 2400 Mhz ddr3, with a few hard drives/SSD (120GB SSD and 2 x 2TB WD Black in raid 0), water cooling and an R9 290X would pull over 740 watts from the wall. All heavily overclocked of course.

Hell, that system with crossfire 290X's @ 1250 Mhz core / 1500 Mhz memory and under water cooling would pull damn near 1,000 watts at the wall under load.

The AMD FX 8 cores are power hungry. What's sad is that my 5820K uses about 50 - 75 watts less power and is generally about twice as fast in most CPU benchmarks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.