Steel vs aluminum - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Steel vs aluminum

Looks like Chevys way of countering Fords heavy use of aluminum. While automotive uses and benefits are different than the commercial represents, I have to hand it to Chevy for a clever marketing effort.
I have wondered why Ford has largely fallen down on producing some incredible commercials for the S550 and the all new F150. It's was so anti climactic.
There were a few very nicely done S550 web based commercials/ short stories but there's still a huge segment that just doesn't see those.
I think most would agree, aluminum is stronger pound for pound, is lighter, doesn't rust like steel but when the Chevy execs told the ad guys to do a commercial that makes you think steel is better...They got the job done.

It's one thing to produce a better vehicle and know it on the street or owning it but it takes it to another level when you see your ride in an epic, well done T.V. Spot.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Steel vs aluminum

Notice how they don't show any factual evidence though. All they use is personal perception to influence other personal perceptions. Nothing to actually prove which metal is stronger.

I got a chance to drive a brand new 15 Silverado and 15 F150 back to back around a course, you can definitely feel the weight difference. The F150 is much more nimble. As for aluminum, the 2013 GT500 engine block is aluminum and can go to 2,000 horsepower. Aluminum is not weak.

I bet in a few years GM will switch to aluminum and gloat about it then, it is definitely the way to go over Steel.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
They will switch for sure but in the meantime they had to try to make some people actually believe steel is better.
If they had used a fair comparison with the aluminum cage weighing as much as the steel one, it would have been massively more substantial and safe. Instead they just used two cages with the same size and dimensions. That's one of the benefits of aluminum. You can use a lot more of it and thicker structures with less weight.
They were pretty clever though. They act like they stuck with steel Silverado construction because it's better instead of the reality that they just haven't made the switch yet like Ford.
Ford even one upped their own F150s use of aluminum by describing it as "military grade" whatever that is!
Reminds me of the old Chrysler Cordobas unique "Corinthian" leather. Which turns out was just cow hide with a fancy made up name.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
A little bit of real world for you!.. I currently work in a Lumber Yard!.. Our 6 axle All Aluminum trailers can haul right at 95,000 lbs!.. Our 6 axle Steel trailers are only good for up to but not over 75,000!... Big Difference between the two!..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
They will switch for sure but in the meantime they had to try to make some people actually believe steel is better.
If they had used a fair comparison with the aluminum cage weighing as much as the steel one, it would have been massively more substantial and safe. Instead they just used two cages with the same size and dimensions. That's one of the benefits of aluminum. You can use a lot more of it and thicker structures with less weight.
They were pretty clever though. They act like they stuck with steel Silverado construction because it's better instead of the reality that they just haven't made the switch yet like Ford.
Ford even one upped their own F150s use of aluminum by describing it as "military grade" whatever that is!
Reminds me of the old Chrysler Cordobas unique "Corinthian" leather. Which turns out was just cow hide with a fancy made up name.
Lol
I think that it was the way the Ricardo Montalban said "Rich Corinthian leather" that really gave credibility to that scheme.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
GM is a bunch of asshats with their "omg still all steel construction" ads especially when they will be all aluminum here in a few years. Already been confirmed.

Ford still is and will be the trendsetter for the forseeable future. The F150 is light years better than the other offerings UNLESS you want a 150/1500 series with a diesel, then the Dodge is the only game in town. Problem is its wrapped in a Dodge...

IIRC, there were rumblings of Ford kicking around an eco-diesel offering for the 150 but I'm not sure there is a need honestly with the gasoline offerings and the way the transmissions are geared.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Dodge Diesel engines are good. But like Scotty said, they are wrapped in a dodge............

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Dodge Diesel engines are good. But like Scotty said, they are wrapped in a dodge............

Which is why the 99-03 Super Dutys were so nice. You got an engine to rival the almighty Cummins wrapped in a Ford Truck. Now that is IF you did due diligence with rust proofing. My Dad had a 2000 7.3L and that thing would pull ANYTHING but after 10 years the sheetmetal underneath was swiss cheese. Still sold it for $15k with 74,000 original miles on it tho.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Aluminum and steel both have their benefits. Steel body panels vs aluminum? might as well use aluminum.

Frames though? Steel will always be superior for frames that need to flex and be resilliant.

Aluminum and steel have different types of strength that are ideal in different scenarios.

Coming from the motocross world, I can tell you exactly what aluminum does well and everytyhing that it does not do well.

Aluminum fatigues and has very sudden failure modes.

Steel is slightly heavier, but doesn't snap as suddenly like aluminum, and it can be repaired without sacrificing extreme amounts of structural integrity during a failure.

Aluminum does a few things really well, and a lot of things really poorly.

Steel does everything really well, but its heavy.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

I work on aircraft daily that can take off at 540,000lbs and they are made of aluminum and titanium. Aluminum is ridiculously stronger than anything anyone could ever need it for in a truck application.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Steel vs aluminum

It not just regular aluminum it's an aluminum alloy

Old 08-19-2015, 03:55 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
When you've fallen (Chevy) to near dead last in truck sales, you'll resort to any foolish method.
So how's come it's alright for Chevy to use carbon fiber on the Corvette and special Camaros over steel? For the same reason: its just a strong (or stronger), and lighter weight.
Silly. I'll drive a Ford truck over Chevy any day. Wait, I already do!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I see someone driving a new Chevy truck I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that they got it for really really cheap compared to the Ford or even the Dodge... but in my heart I know they're just an idiot...

Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If I see someone driving a new Chevy truck I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that they got it for really really cheap compared to the Ford or even the Dodge... but in my heart I know they're just an idiot...

Hahahahahahaha. Just made my day!... 😜😜😜

Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar