Car dealers suck - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Car dealers suck

Just saying why does it always take hours to buy a car. Back and forth I just told the salesman to bring back the guy he is going to or we are leaving he did now an hour later my friend is still signing papers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Have lots of experience with this... Funny thing is, it was easier when I purchased my Roush from 5 states away using the Internet and phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
'Tis the nature of the process unless you want to pay MSRP. It is always an adventure for me to buy a car. There need to be pre-visits to the dealer... kick the tires, ask questions, get salesman's business cards. Do my homework, see how much I expect to pay, see what I can expect for trade-in. Then, I dedicate an entire day to the actual purchase. Yes, back-and-forth, they visit the manager's office, I make offers, they counter, and so on. I'm always polite and cordial. However, it doesn't bother me to walk away from the deal after working on it for some time if they aren't moving enough on price. Again, I always try to be civilized. At some point, the manager will come out and visit in person. If he doesn't, you have left money on the table. The "Paperwork & Finance Guy" is just another salesman, so I make sure I know exactly what extras I want when I get to that point. I use my favorite word a lot, "No". I like to bring my big calculator, pull it out with a blank sheet of paper and pen, and waste their time explaining why I don't want to pay for their extras (Gap Insurance? Really? C'mon!). Again, polite, cordial, civilized and professional the entire time. I really get my money's worth out of the experience. Remember, clear out the entire day for the process. Don't let them rush you. Don't be shaken by their tactics. It is an emotional roller coaster ride, so enjoy the show, enjoy the process. After all, the admission price is rather high...
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Or buy private party and not deal with this nonsense.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Can't get a brand new car private party, though...
Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It depends on your philosophy. I normally calculate cost per mile. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but generally higher priced vehicles tend to have a more favorable cost per mile when purchased used because of the depreciation hit. However, small economy cars (that my wife prefers) tend to have a lower cost per mile when purchased new... the depreciation isn't as bad as most people assume.

Now, when it came to the Mustangs, I bought my '07 used. When I decided to get a newer model, I looked at the available used Mustangs in the area and didn't find what I wanted. However, the dealer had a brand new one on the lot that was exactly what I wanted... and the price wasn't that much higher than the two year old used Mustangs that I had been considering. In this case, I didn't even do the cost-per-mile math. I'm happy to take the hit on depreciation, all while enjoying the very best miles of that car's life. Plus, I got to break in the car the way I wanted, and I know that it is maintained to my satisfaction. I pinched pennies on vehicles for a lot of years, so I figure I earned my brand new Mustang and I am happy with the tangible & intangible value that I got for my money. It was worth it to me... and I understand that not everyone feels the same way. That's OK; to each their own.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I went to multiple dealers over the course of a couple months, the last one was with a "seasoned" salesman. He was in his late 60's and informed me right off the bat that he's a professional and had been doing this long before i was even born.
Well, he gave me the numbers. I was looking at a 2016 PP with recaros, and they wanted 38,000 for it. I said no way. I had all my financing lined up through a credit union, with a great interest rate for someone with little credit history. I think it's like 3.1%. He told me straight up, he wouldn't be able to come close to that rate but he kept asking how much i was approved for, and how much my down payment would be. I wouldn't tell him. So after playing the haggling game, the lowest he would go down was to $36k and he'd insisted it was the deal of a lifetime. I told him I'd had other places offer me a similarly equipped car, for $33k. He says to me, "Listen son, this is a grown man's car. If you want to buy it, you've got to be able to pay for it. If you want, you can come back with either more preapproved credit, or come back with money for a down payment." Implying i had no money to put down for the car, no doubt. I thanked him for his time, went over to a dealership i'd previously visited earlier in the day, put 15k down, had the credit union cut the check for the rest, and drove off with a fully loaded 2015 GT premium with PP. The Veteran Salesman still calls me to this day. You wouldn't believe how many salemen took down my number, saying they'd give me a call but never gave me the time of day afterwards. Maybe because I'm younger, they just assume i'm there to waste their time.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:06 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Several things you can do to make this easy, and fast. One, get prequalified for a loan prior to visiting a dealership. A car dealership gets a kickback from financial institutions if they can get you to sign a loan at a higher interest rate. By the time you make the deal on a car, your pumped up, and usually don't want to "work" on lowering the interest rate/payment after an hour or two at the dealership.

Second, if your trading in a vehicle, research it's retail and wholesale value. Decide on a price you will take between the two. Be reasonable, and be firm with the dealer on what you accept. This is the hardest part with a trade-in; most folks think their trade-in is worth more than it really is.

Third, research what the sale prices are for the vehicle/model/options you are wanting to buy. There are several apps or internet tools you can use that will let you know what a model vehicle is selling for over invoice.

When you finally visit the dealership, let them appraise your trade in, then insist they give you back the keys to your trade-in; a trick they use is to hold onto your keys, keeping you there to negotiate on a deal.

Let them present you with their "deal". If you disagree, present your counter offer once, and inform them this is your final offer. Stick with it, as the remainder of the day rides on it. If you alter after this counter offer, it lets the salesperson know your "flexable". When the salesperson returns from the sales manager and the proposal is not your offer, simply thank the salesperson and shake their hand and walk out. They may follow you and try to reason, but let them know you had a set price, and will be heading to the next dealership.

If after going to two or more dealerships and being refused your deal, you are either asking too much for your trade, or are expecting too low of a price for the vehicle you want to buy. Try selling your trade-in outright, or lower your expectations on its trade-in value.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
some dealers suck...props to Hammonassett Ford in Madison CT. All done online (no trade in) best price quick answers 1st time we met was when I walked in to give a deposit.

another hint to add to Bucko's is schedule pickup 1 hr before the dealership closes. You'll get out in one hour.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
USAA car buying service... I love you...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I was helping a friend's son get a car because his had a cam go bad. We pretty much needed to get it done because I am heading home now. His son is here and he lives in OH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I love the negociating

Negotiating is the """FUN""" part of buying a new car for me, When they wanted $3.500 for a two year extended warranty on my Mini JCW I decided to look at a Ford Focus.
I drove to my Ford dealer on a nice rainy Sunday to just look at see what they had in stock.
I got out of the Mini and a salesman approached and I told him I was just looking, He gave me his card and said, "IF ANYTHING JUMPS OUT ON YOU,SEE ME"
I went and scoped out all of the Focus's and seen nothing special.
On the way back, There was this Candy Red Mustang sitting there yelling to me- "COME LOOK AT ME Ronnie" I fell in love at first sight but the sticker was $33,000 so it was out of my price range, Wow, I loved this Mustang.
I start back to my Mini and the sales guy asked if anything jumped out on me.
I said , Yes, a Mustang I can't afford.
He said they needed to sell a car "TODAY" so do I have time? We went inside and he asked me how much I can afford a month,
I said "Don't worry about that, I will give you $4,500 out the door difference. To the other guy he went.
!st. $10,000 plus transfer & tax etc.
Back to the boss
2nd, 7,500 plus tax and transfer etc.
Back to boss
If I buy right now $6,000 out the door
I picked up my keys and headed for the door Pete the sales guy caught me in the Parking lot and had me come back in one more time.
Back to boss, another Boss joined them looking at the computer, Pete came back to me and said if I buy the Mustang right now I can have it for $5,000 difference "OUT THE DOOR"
I said "SOLD"
I go to finance lady's office to borrow the whole $5,000 on Ford Credit, I added a extended warranty for $900 and drove home in my New Mustang that I fell in love at first sight with.
I ordered my Magnaflow streets that same night.
Soon after I drove to the American Muscle show with my Dog Mario and although I do like other cars and like looking at them, I still like my Red Ryder the best and plan to keep him forever.
I am having a hard time waiting until August 2016 for another drive up from Florida to Pennsylvania and back for another American Muscle all Mustang show.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Mustang.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	199419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Beach.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	199420  

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Has anyone used or like True Car when negotiating?

MustangmanV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangmanV6 View Post

Nope, when I bought mine I did all my research before walking in to make sure it was a fair price. This was the first new car I ever bought, but I can say the experience was pleasant. I got the car for under the invoice cost, I got the extended 6yr/60k warranty (may not have needed it, but since it's my DD I didn't want to take any chances) and 0% APR for 5 years on my loan after putting $10k down.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
some dealers suck...props to Hammonassett Ford in Madison CT. All done online (no trade in) best price quick answers 1st time we met was when I walked in to give a deposit.

another hint to add to Bucko's is schedule pickup 1 hr before the dealership closes. You'll get out in one hour.
Great idea!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangmanV6 View Post

I always review Truecar and consumers reports before buying a new car.
The last two cars, I picked the exact options I wanted and just ordered it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
When I bought my car I was like hey there's a nice 14 gt track pack... for 25k with 9k Miles on it.... where do I sign lol. That was almost two years ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RED SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #19
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, I really don't want to buy from a dealer unless it's someone I know. They wanted to get for 18% on a used Mustang. I looked at them and told them I'll be back. Guy was pissed that I got a loan for 2.66% from a credit union. Would of paid about $14K in interest, that's a lot of car parts.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar