$910 Carpool Violation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
$910 Carpool Violation

So... I just left a court appointment and was found guilty of a carpool violation (driving solo in the carpool lane) and am being fined $910 dollars. This was my second carpool violation offense in the last 6 months; I have a clean driving / criminal record otherwise. I am not sure if it is because I am in a higher California tax bracket or what, but the severity of my offense was so much lesser than everyone else's in the court room, yet I am getting dinged with one of the highest fines... Some kid was cited for reckless driving doing 95mph and swerving lanes on a freeway - he was only fined $500... I do know that the majority of the traffic ticket fine itself, goes directly to surcharges for miscellaneous items... only reason why I brought up the tax bracket. I can only help but laugh at this point... I guess I'm used to the government taking my money anyways.

In case any of your are wondering why I am such a dumbass (<< enter your word of choice here), I live 30 miles from work, directly down the 15 Interstate which has a very attractive carpool lane running the entire length of my commute... Taking the carpool lane is the difference of a 25 minute commute versus an 80+ minute commute. I also drive a stick with a heavy clutch, so the stop and go is tedious to say the least... but I am more concerned with just wearing out my clutch more than anything.

I am not writing this post to vent or come up with excuses - I am 100% at fault here. But I want to warn all solo drivers to stay the **** out of the carpool lane, at least in California. The cops are cracking down pretty hard (they are posted up and cruising the carpool lanes constantly) and the government has apparently jacked up the fines sky high.

It's not worth it.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'd invest in a sex doll and buckle it up in your passenger seat. Seems worth it to me.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Almost an hour savings?
I can see what motivates you to be a repeat offender!

They should really convert most of the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes into combination HOV/Toll lanes. That way, "scoff-laws" such as yourself, will have the option of paying a toll to use the lane during rush hour.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Police down in SoCal are savage about carpool violations. I've definitely seen that a lot. Its definitely not a strict up here. It might be that high because of a repeat offense. Do you remember how much your first time was?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Blow up doll in the passenger seat with thrift store clothes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I'd invest in a sex doll and buckle it up in your passenger seat. Seems worth it to me.
The cops that post up in the car pool lanes sit under these newly installed scanner devices, which arch over the entire carpool lane(s). They are scanning for FastTrack devices which you can pay for and stick on your dash (would cost me roughly $40 everyday for my full commute based on the amount of miles in the carpool lane - **** that). The cops can tell if you have one or not, based on the color of the scanner light as you pass through. This is actually how the cop got me on this last carpool offense. Obviously I could have had a passenger in the car which he couldn't see, but a smart cop will look at a modified newer Mustang and say, "I know that mother ****er ain't carpooling".

It's close to impossible nowadays to fool the system, or make a good enough excuse to get let off the hook. Maybe a few years ago this would fly, as I've heard it all before, but not today...
Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

How about a really good 6 pack of hard to get craft beer in the trunk and bribe the cop with it? Make sure you have a dash cam filming it all.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
How about a really good 6 pack of hard to get craft beer in the trunk and bribe the cop with it? Make sure you have a dash cam filming it all.
We do have some of the worlds best craft beer that comes out of San Diego... IPAs > all.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
So... I just left a court appointment and was found guilty of a carpool violation (driving solo in the carpool lane) and am being fined $910 dollars. This was my second carpool violation offense in the last 6 months; I have a clean driving / criminal record otherwise. I am not sure if it is because I am in a higher California tax bracket or what, but the severity of my offense was so much lesser than everyone else's in the court room, yet I am getting dinged with one of the highest fines... Some kid was cited for reckless driving doing 95mph and swerving lanes on a freeway - he was only fined $500... I do know that the majority of the traffic ticket fine itself, goes directly to surcharges for miscellaneous items... only reason why I brought up the tax bracket. I can only help but laugh at this point... I guess I'm used to the government taking my money anyways.

In case any of your are wondering why I am such a dumbass (<< enter your word of choice here), I live 30 miles from work, directly down the 15 Interstate which has a very attractive carpool lane running the entire length of my commute... Taking the carpool lane is the difference of a 25 minute commute versus an 80+ minute commute. I also drive a stick with a heavy clutch, so the stop and go is tedious to say the least... but I am more concerned with just wearing out my clutch more than anything.

I am not writing this post to vent or come up with excuses - I am 100% at fault here. But I want to warn all solo drivers to stay the **** out of the carpool lane, at least in California. The cops are cracking down pretty hard (they are posted up and cruising the carpool lanes constantly) and the government has apparently jacked up the fines sky high.

It's not worth it.
It is more then likely that it's a fixed amount for each offense. Next time will be even more or worse. You should be able to find a list of traffic violations and what penalty they carry.

I car pooled for 32 years! Find someone to drive with you. Advertise.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You probably should have hired a traffic lawyer. You pay into the legal system your better off that's how it works. Anytime for anything I lawyer up. I had a reckless driving charge in Va my attorney got it dismissed. I would appeal it if you could and call a traffic attorney.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It is more then likely that it's a fixed amount for each offense. Next time will be even more or worse. You should be able to find a list of traffic violations and what penalty they carry.

I car pooled for 32 years! Find someone to drive with you. Advertise.
Chances are, you're right... But a $900 dollar ticket seems more than excessive... I could understand if they caught me doing 100+mph or weaving hard between traffic, but a carpool citation seems like the most menial of traffic violations... It's actually not even considered a moving violation and doesn't go on your driving record... go figure. Greedy feds.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Police down in SoCal are savage about carpool violations. I've definitely seen that a lot. Its definitely not a strict up here. It might be that high because of a repeat offense. Do you remember how much your first time was?
First one was $490, which seems reasonable. But I've paid speeding tickets (3+ years ago) in excess of 80mph which cost me less... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me, then again hardly anything run by the government makes sense to begin with.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I know one of the big reasons there are car pool lanes are to reduce traffic and to cut down on emissions and considering it is California it doesn't surprise me that they fine that much for repeat offenders.

In NC we have carpool/ multi passenger lanes but Traffic isnt nearly as bad to where its worth risk getting caught driving in one.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Please don't be offended but I never understood why people drive in the carpool lane when they are clearly not carpooling. You know the consequences and in your case you had already been caught once. Maybe you should buy a cheap beater you can daily so you don't have to worry about your heavy clutch.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Chances are, you're right... But a $900 dollar ticket seems more than excessive... I could understand if they caught me doing 100+mph or weaving hard between traffic, but a carpool citation seems like the most menial of traffic violations... It's actually not even considered a moving violation and doesn't go on your driving record... go figure. Greedy feds.
It's the same thing if you get caught parking in a designated handicap stall... They want to make the penalty enough so that people will think twice about doing it again.

For someone with a commute like yours, owning an electric car would actually be beneficial. They are eligible for a white single occupant carpool sticker, which would allow you to use the HOV/Toll lanes for free.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
This didn't post the first time but I got a ticket for 67 in a 40 and driving without a license and that was only 550.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's the same thing if you get caught parking in a designated handicap stall... They want to make the penalty enough so that people will think twice about doing it again.

For someone with a commute like yours, owning an electric car would actually be beneficial. They are eligible for a white single occupant carpool sticker, which would allow you to use the HOV/Toll lanes for free.
With that logic, you might as well make any illegal action punishable by death. Nobody would be doing ****. The county would be run like North Korea, and if you think about it, their government has outstanding control over their population... regardless of how inhumane their actions are. This is America and we don't apply radical ideologies into our laws and such... But I get your point, it makes perfect sense, as long as it's not taken too far and overly abused. It's just hard to swallow greed over reasoning sometimes...
Old 05-06-2016, 02:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Yes, buying a Nissan Leaf only to commute would save you time and money. This is the best option.

Envoyé de mon ALE-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk
laslobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut

Max respect for admitting....dope slap for the deed.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How many passengers is considered car pooling?

Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Leaf has a real short range iirc. A tesla would work tho.

There are ppl on base starting to buy those. We don't pay utilities on base and every roof is full of solar panels too. Guy a few houses over has one and says he has not paid for gas in 6 months since he got it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I got a ticket for running a stop sign on base, $80. And a speeding ticket for 63 in a 45, $140.

I thought this was a lot. Needless to say, I don't run stop signs, and I bought a radar detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laslobal View Post
Yes, buying a Nissan Leaf only to commute would save you time and money. This is the best option.

Envoyé de mon ALE-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk
I've been told to buy a Nissan Leaf in a Mustang forum... I've now heard it all! My dignity still needs to remain intact...

If anything, I'd save a few bucks roll with the ESFLOW. I imagine that will become available mid 2017 / early 2018: Nissan ESFLOW Electric Sports Car | Nissan USA
Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
How many passengers is considered car pooling?

Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Your fine is high because this is your second offense in less than 6 months.

I can promise that you're not alone in that offense. I lived in Atlanta for years. I never wore out a clutch in traffic, but I could go through brakes at an unrealistic rate.

These days I am the guy that takes his time, relaxes, and just rides. I will pop the car in neutral in traffic and roll along until the next hill.

I worked in the aftermarket performance industry. I sold sport truck parts. During my drive (or would that be long stops between crawling forward) I would make sure all of our add were printed correctly in the magazine's. Then I would read all of the articles. I would study what was becoming a trend and use that to tailor what and how parts were sold.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Words directly from a judge's mouth; "I hate it when I have to incarcerate people, or when they opt for jail vs their fine. I would rather have someone pay a fine rather than go to jail any day. Fines pay the State, the city, and my salary".

Fines are revenue, and revenue is right these days. In my County I have seen a huge increase of traffic cops sitting and monitoring traffic. These guys are actually serving a dual purpose. They are keeping the attention of reckless drivers, and making money off of the people that take the risk.

These officers are always in court, regardless of their scheduled days off. It's normally easier to just mail a check in for the fine than to fight it. However, if you believe you were cited wrongly, I encourage you to fight the charge with every option available. Just remember, you cannot be charged for what cannot be proven. The flip side of that coin means you need to be able to prove you are right in your defense.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Words directly from a judge's mouth; "I hate it when I have to incarcerate people, or when they opt for jail vs their fine. I would rather have someone pay a fine rather than go to jail any day. Fines pay the State, the city, and my salary".

Fines are revenue, and revenue is right these days. In my County I have seen a huge increase of traffic cops sitting and monitoring traffic. These guys are actually serving a dual purpose. They are keeping the attention of reckless drivers, and making money off of the people that take the risk.

These officers are always in court, regardless of their scheduled days off. It's normally easier to just mail a check in for the fine than to fight it. However, if you believe you were cited wrongly, I encourage you to fight the charge with every option available. Just remember, you cannot be charged for what cannot be proven. The flip side of that coin means you need to be able to prove you are right in your defense.

Yeah I totally get the reasoning behind all this - it's how they get paid and keep themselves afloat. It's how the government works in general. I'm sucking this one up - no reason to make a big fuss out of this with an appeal. This is a hell of a way to learn a lesson, but you bet your *** the lesson has been learned.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I totally get the reasoning behind all this - it's how they get paid and keep themselves afloat. It's how the government works in general. I'm sucking this one up - no reason to make a big fuss out of this with an appeal. This is a hell of a way to learn a lesson, but you bet your *** the lesson has been learned.
Fines suck. There is no other way to put it. I think your fine is a bit excessive, but Cali prices on everything is expensive compared to GA.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post

What if the passengers are kids not old enough to have a license?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What if the passengers are kids not old enough to have a license?

They are living and breathing humans. They are legal in the car pool lanes.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
They are living and breathing humans. They are legal in the car pool lanes.

Ok smart a$$... My point is that carpooling is to cut down on drivers right?!! Didn't know if to be considered car pooling the passengers had to be a certain age. Don't have this where I live but when my family and I (2 kids under 6 yrs) go on vacation I c carpooling lanes and have driven on it. Just wanna make sure that it was legal or not

Old 05-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok smart a$$... My point is that carpooling is to cut down on drivers right?!! Didn't know if to be considered car pooling the passengers had to be a certain age. Don't have this where I live but when my family and I (2 kids under 6 yrs) go on vacation I c carpooling lanes and have driven on it. Just wanna make sure that it was legal or not

I didn't mean to come off as sarcastic. You asked a question and I answered it. The carpool lane is designed for standard vehicles carrying more than 1 person. The laws I am familiar with do not state that the passengers must be licensed. This means you would be legal with an SUV carrying a family, or with a van full of recreational soccer players.

The laws may vary by State, but I don't see an officer clogging up traffic to stop a car that is visably carry human beings.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

👍🏻thanks for the input . I really don't mind ppl being sarcastic just to be sarcastic. Now someone being sarcastic just to be an a hole I like to call them out. You seem harmless anyways and I don't see any issues between you and me

Old 05-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Your next one will be around $1,500.00 give or take a few hundred! Getting a hybrid that has the carpool sticker may be a good idea for you if you drive that much. I know the traffic on the 15 is awful during rush hours. Saw a Fusion Energi SE at the ford dealer last service for $199 a month lease with the carpool sticker on it!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
First one was $490, which seems reasonable. But I've paid speeding tickets (3+ years ago) in excess of 80mph which cost me less... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me, then again hardly anything run by the government makes sense to begin with.
Its just easy revenue for them. My uncle deals with the same thing in the bay area on his way to work. All they care about on his stretch to work is carpool violation.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar