MMA Fans, We Have Lost Kimbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
MMA Fans, We Have Lost Kimbo

A lot of people disliked Kimbo. There are hundreds of reasons, but despite anyone's opinion I hate to know a man has passed, leaving a family.

Personally, I was amused at Kimbo's fighting style. As an MMA fan I watched a beast of a man in the octagon. His fight with Shamrock was unreal in my opinion. Shamrock had Kimbo, and should have put him to sleep. Somehow Kimbo was able to break free and pull off an immediate TKO.

At only 42 Kimbo Slice died on Monday June 5, 2016. That is way too young in my opinion to leave this earth.

Kimbo Slice dies at age 42

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Crazy! Just seen this on Facebook, but wasn't sure if real or not.. RIP KIMBO

2002 GT "Betty White"
BBK Off-road X, Flowmaster 44s
Believe it or not.. Raceland Coilovers..
IG: Stock2V
CobraVert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
So Ali dies and nobody on this forum says anything but when Kimbo goes...? RIP regardless but can't say this wasn't easy to see coming a mile away.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
So Ali dies and nobody on this forum says anything but when Kimbo goes...? RIP regardless but can't say this wasn't easy to see coming a mile away.
For real. Maybe cause most here are not old enough to remember Ali's fights? It's all about MMA today. Boxing has died.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Agreed. I felt the same way when my dad, then my mom passed away within the past year. They were important figures in my life, yet no one posted about them passing on. Why, because they were only famous to me.

Sorry to their families for their loss, but hard for me to see why they get any more attention to their passing on then anyone else, famous or not.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
And the guy who was hardly even a shell of himself living with Alzheimer's wasn't easy to see coming?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
And the guy who was hardly even a shell of himself living with Alzheimer's wasn't easy to see coming?

Very easy. Mentioning it is very odd that when a legend dies nobody says anything but when some rando reality tv celebrity dies we get an "Omg".
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Who had Alzheimer's?

Ali had Parkinson’s. Towards the end, his mind was simply trapped in his mostly nonfunctional body. Sad way to go really. Ali will be remembered because of his accomplishments in the ring. He fought guys like Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Sonny Liston, George Chuvalo and Ernie Shavers and won.

As good as he was in the ring, he will likely be remembered for his actions outside ring.

As for Kimbo... steroids and drugs will take their toll. The guy was a brawler no doubt and almost always fun to watch.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Couldn't remember which one it was. Definetly more surprising that Kimbo died though. That Ali movie with Will Smith does a really good job of showing the kind of balls Ali had.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The difference for me, and the reason I posted one vs the other is that Ali was in his early 70s with Parkinson's. There have been several celebrities pass that are up in age. Any loss is a tragedy in my book, famous or not.

I have mentioned a couple times that my father is in the late stages of cirhossis. He is only 63. The only reason anyone here would know he passed is if I needed to get it off my chest, or if someone close mentioned it.

Kimbo shocked me because of his age. Maybe it's because 42 is staring at me? Who knows.

As a kid I grew up a boxer and a kickboxer. I loved it. Today I watch MMA over boxing or kickboxing. Kimbo's death was unexpected.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

My only issue with Ali was that when his draft number came up, he decided to become a Muslim; changed his name, and avoided serving. He continued to box, collected millions of american dollars doing it.

My brother, along with many other Americans were drafted that year and thereafter; served their country proudly, pay taxes, and many return injured, including my brother.

Ali dies, and the TV goes crazy honoring him. Fair?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My only issue with Ali was that when his draft number came up, he decided to become a Muslim; changed his name, and avoided serving. He continued to box, collected millions of american dollars doing it.

My brother, along with many other Americans were drafted that year and thereafter; served their country proudly, pay taxes, and many return injured, including my brother.

Ali dies, and the TV goes crazy honoring him. Fair?
You will not hear a disagreement here.(I had to delete a lot to be politically correct for some).

I will admit Cassius Clay was an impressive fighter. The man set a standard for fighters.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ali stood up to the government for a war he opposed. He was no "draft dodger" like Donald Trump, Bill Clinton or Dick Cheney. He never tried to leave the country and flee to Canada or enroll in college and try for a deferment. He stood his ground and said take me to jail.

He was stripped of his title, suspended from boxing and threatened with a five year prison sentence.

He eventually won his case in the supreme court and was reinstated in boxing three years after his suspension.

I'm not sure how anyone can not approve of someone standing their ground for their beliefs with the possibility of losing everything. Different generations I suppose.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Agreed. I felt the same way when my dad, then my mom passed away within the past year. They were important figures in my life, yet no one posted about them passing on. Why, because they were only famous to me.

Sorry to their families for their loss, but hard for me to see why they get any more attention to their passing on then anyone else, famous or not.

Wow both in the same year! Very sorry for your loss I can only imagine how difficult that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
So Ali dies and nobody on this forum says anything but when Kimbo goes...?
I felt the same way when Paul Walker/Nelson Mandela died the same week and the majority were talking about Paul Walker.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Ali stood up to the government for a war he opposed. He was no "draft dodger" like Donald Trump, Bill Clinton or Dick Cheney. He never tried to leave the country and flee to Canada or enroll in college and try for a deferment. He stood his ground and said take me to jail.

He was stripped of his title, suspended from boxing and threatened with a five year prison sentence.

He eventually won his case in the supreme court and was reinstated in boxing three years after his suspension.

I'm not sure how anyone can not approve of someone standing their ground for their beliefs with the possibility of losing everything. Different generations I suppose.
He stood his ground, and as a reward, continued to collect a healthy paycheck.

Sorry for my ill feelings on this topic. My oldest brother returned from Vietnam with injuries, cancer from agent orange (he beat it), and was spit on from activists against the war when he arrived in a California airport. His reward for serving, as with many other vets of Vietnam. My brother did not have the fame or money to oppose; nor did he want to.
And when Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney, or any others pass on that dodged their duty to serve when asked, they too will not get any additional honors from me.

I'm done. Sorry to offend anyone else's opinion on this topic, but had to give my say.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

I applaud him for standing his ground. As for his faith; Muslims are not pacifists. He stood his ground on his own merit.

As an American I feel you should be willing to stand for your Country, and fight to defend her. Cassius was a fighter. He made his living with his fists.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He stood his ground, and as a reward, continued to collect a healthy paycheck.

Sorry for my ill feelings on this topic. My oldest brother returned from Vietnam with injuries, cancer from agent orange (he beat it), and was spit on from activists against the war when he arrived in a California airport. His reward for serving, as with many other vets of Vietnam. My brother did not have the fame or money to oppose; nor did he want to.
And when Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney, or any others pass on that dodged their duty to serve when asked, they too will not get any additional honors from me.

I'm done. Sorry to offend anyone else's opinion on this topic, but had to give my say.
Personally, I don't feel that a draft dodger should have ever been eligible for Presidential nomination, let alone hold office. Actually, if you skip on your call to serve, you should be stripped of your right to serve any public office.

As for Cassius Clay (Mohammed Ali), he too was essentially a draft dodger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar