Automobile Magazine deceptive mailing! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Automobile Magazine deceptive mailing!

I subscribed to Automobile Magazine for a year or so, but decided their writing was staid and overblown. Their styling reviews where they go over every point and angle of the car, are frankly yawn, if not sleep inducing.
We got a letter in the mail today -- no return address -- marked in bold, red lettering -- LAST NOTICE and COLLECTION AGENCY.
All this letter was, was a special pricing to re-up on my subscription.......shame on them for labeling it like this. Very low blow by their circulation division head.......SHAME!!!
Guard 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sadly most all magazines do this. When I stopped flying American I had a lot of miles that was not enough for a flight so I got 5-10 magazine subscriptions as that was the only other option. Got my 8-12 months worth of free magazines and none were worth paying for. It's been close to 2 years and I still get letters like that from some of them with "discounted prices". And I just shred them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Sadly most all magazines do this. When I stopped flying American I had a lot of miles that was not enough for a flight so I got 5-10 magazine subscriptions as that was the only other option. Got my 8-12 months worth of free magazines and none were worth paying for. It's been close to 2 years and I still get letters like that from some of them with "discounted prices". And I just shred them.
Yeah, I know.....but auto enthusiasts are a special breed -- loyal, opinionated and unusually decisive. This mailing from Automobile magazine has turned me away from them permanently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 02:52 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Let them know. Perhaps if enough respond to them with their mailing practices, they will change.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
You could send in all those "fall out" cards that are included which have postage paid by addressee stamps on them. I'll even return all the advertising junk I get in my Visa bill back to them with my check.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
You could send in all those "fall out" cards that are included which have postage paid by addressee stamps on them. I'll even return all the advertising junk I get in my Visa bill back to them with my check.
Hahaha...that's what I do....

Magazines are losing so much market share these days with everything that is in the magazine also available online. They resort to terror tactics to keep their subscriber base.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Let them know. Perhaps if enough respond to them with their mailing practices, they will change.
Hmmmm........a rational response. I had not thought of that.......
Old 06-15-2016, 02:46 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Hmmmm........a rational response. I had not thought of that.......
It works...sometimes.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quickest way I found to get off mailing lists if calling doesn't work. Tape the "postage paid by recipient" or whatever they want you to use to renew to a large box filled with rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Quickest way I found to get off mailing lists if calling doesn't work. Tape the "postage paid by recipient" or whatever they want you to use to renew to a large box filled with rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Oh. I LIKE THAT!!!

I have the boxes. I have the rocks. And I have the tape.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

And on top of it......today, we get a mailing from the "North Shore Agency" on official looking stationary, stating that they are a "debt collector" who states "our business is to collect amounts for companies that have been unable to collect by their own efforts. Without your response, we may continue to pursue collection to satisfy our client's request for full payment."
This notice is for the next 24 issues of Automobile magazine, folks! This is the most underhanded, dirty way to re-up a subscriber I've ever seen.......simply beyond the pale. I would NEVER again subscribe to someone who would do this! We contacted Automobile magazine, and they stated that the "North Shore Agency" is OWNED by the publisher of the magazine.
I would appreciate it if any of you get these to let me know..........I still find this way to get people to spend money for their magazine dirty beyond belief!!!! It is extortion at its worst and a scam at its best.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

(they're called blow-in cards)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar