We Take Life for Granted - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We Take Life for Granted

As a kid growing up I did a lot of things that should have killed me. I lived to tell the tales. My friends and I even stop and laugh about some of the stupid things we survived. I am pretty sure I could write a book.

Tonight made me realize how fragile life is. A storm blew over tonight that literally rocked my world.

As I sat watching UFC I heard hail slamming against the windows of my house. I looked out of the blinds and could not see anything except flashes of lightning and a wall of water. Balls of ice bounced off of my porch.

I will admit that I was more concerned about the Mustang being pounded by hail than I was about the 60mph wind gusts trying to rip the roof of the house apart. I'm a moron.

I heard the rain slow to a drizzle. There was no more hail. In fact, it is and was too hot for quarter sized hail to last long. I could still hear a bit of thunder rumbling in the distance. Normally in GA that is an "all clear" sign.

I grabbed my hat and boots and decided to inspect for damage. On the way out I picked up an umbrella and my favorite Mag Lite.

When I stepped on the porch something did not feel quite right. Instead of walking down the steps and taking a look around, I leaned on the umbrella as if it were a cane and looked at the drizzle.

What happened next has happened only two other times in my life. All three times I stood in awe (I am a hunter, I camp, and I fish. I spend a lot of time outdoors when I can). A bolt of lightning struck the Oak tree that shades my front porch. There were sparks that would give a Fourth of July fireworks show a run for its money. My only response to the huge boom and flash of light was the word "WOW"! I was truly in awe of what I had witnessed. Sure, there were other words that could have been used, but if you ever hear me using them I advise you to move out of the way. I am beyond angry at that point.

Then I realized that I could not hear out of my right ear. My right eye was completely blurred.

While I type this my right eye feels a bit weird. There is a ringing in my ear. However, no physical damage I know of was done.

I finally did a walk around of my home and everything is in place. There is a nice crack in the windshield of my truck (still waiting on an engine) from the hail, but no visible dents as if yet. The Jeep looks like it survived, but it is also about to have an insurance claim due to an idiot causing my student driver daughter to hit him. The Mustang lived and has no dents or cracks. A convertible top combined with composite hood and trunk is good for something.

I'm sitting on the front porch listening to the frogs sing. The right side of my head still hurts, and my left leg is tingling. Electricity can be brutal at times. This is my third time watching a bolt of lightning strike less than 20 ft from me.

I'm still alive to tell the tale. I know Who to thank for the fragile state of life.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Glad to hear that you are (relatively) OK.........I too have done things that make it a little remarkable to still be here at 64 years old.....live and learn.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 02:30 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
A day or so later...did the ear and eye clear up?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A day or so later...did the ear and eye clear up?
Bucko, the eye is better, and the weird part is that I can hear better now out of my right ear. Because I work with a lot of music my hearing is crucial. I am glad that did not go the other way around.

Thank you for asking.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Glad to "hear" it.

As a young kid (many, many years ago), I suffered from earaches, and had to have my inner ear punchured to assist in draining several times. Hurt! Because of this, I have scar tissue in that ear, and hearing loss.

There was no such thing as malpractice back then.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar