Anyone on Sprint with an upgrade that isn't an Apple Slave... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Anyone on Sprint with an upgrade that isn't an Apple Slave...

You have till tomorrow night to order a LG V20 for $16/mo before it goes back up to $33/mo.

Easily the best phone I've ever had. Its the top LG flagship at the moment and kicks the living hell out of any iCrap device and the only thing on Android that can maybe compete from a carrier is the Moto X or the OnePlus3 for non-carrier.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Almost bought it. But I need root access. Not sure if the v20 on sprint has root yet. Still on my LG G3 for now.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Almost bought it. But I need root access. Not sure if the v20 on sprint has root yet. Still on my LG G3 for now.

Lmao I just bought a G3 on 5 December brand new in box for $179 because it is still a really good phone but would not have if I had known about the V20 promo. The V20 is in a totally different universe. Actually the Sprint V20 is one of the best ones to root. Look up the Dirty Santa exploit. Completely unlocks the phone and roots it. You really should have jumped on it dude... The V20 is probably the best phone out right now. It or the Moto X or the OnePlus3.

However... I am done with root. Both Vue and DTVN streaming apps don't work with rooted phones and that is a dealbreaker for me. Yeah I could do Xposed and "unroot" when I wanted but that's a pain. The new Android builds are so stable and so fast now there is really no point in my mind to do any custom roms. Nougat on the V20 absolutely FLIES with the stock build and bloat removed. Add in the Nova launcher and a few other free/cheap tweaks and its a beast.

Also you don't need root to remove ads anymore. I use Adguard Premium (not the one on the play store, you have to get it from adguard's site). $8 a year for 2 devices and creates a local VPN on the device itself to kill all ads. Adfree/Adaway were the last reasons I had to root my devices so now no need.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Only reason I root is because I need the hotspot. I do not have internet due to where I live. Other then that I hardly touch my phone. Wouldn't mind an iPhone but I'm leaning more toward the v20. Just because bigger screen and root access.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Got it. Yeah that makes sense. You can also just go into a CDMA editor and change your tether ID to match your data ID. You can look it up, its not too hard. I had to do that when I hacked a few Epic 4G phones onto Boost back in the day. Rooting the Sprint G3 was a bit of PITA for me and I've rooted a lot. Probably going to be the last one I do tho

Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What does matching IDs do?

Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I love my V20 (T-Mobile Variant) rooted and running OverDrive's custom rom. AOSP roms are starting to come along but with the Second screen on this phone is causing some headaches for the developers.

I still have my original Moto Nexus 6 and I miss using it but the V20 is starting to grow on me.

But none the less, that deal is hell of a deal! $13 a month for a flagship phone! Insane...

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
What does matching IDs do?

On a CDMA phone you'll have the call ID, the DATA ID and the Tether ID (at least that's how it was on the Epic). The way the phone knows you are tethering and reports it back to your carrier is when you tether it activates on the Tether ID. If you use an editor to match the Tether and Data ID then the phone never knows its tethering. But if you are rooted then it doesn't really matter since you can get apps that do that for you. Like I said I just can't lose my mobile streaming anymore, dealbreaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
I love my V20 (T-Mobile Variant) rooted and running OverDrive's custom rom. AOSP roms are starting to come along but with the Second screen on this phone is causing some headaches for the developers.

I still have my original Moto Nexus 6 and I miss using it but the V20 is starting to grow on me.

But none the less, that deal is hell of a deal! $13 a month for a flagship phone! Insane...
Yeah that's why I'm done with the ROM game. The V20 stock Nougat rom is so damn fast and the overlay is minimal. Plus all the bloat is uninstalled without root and I use AdGuard Premium to kill all ads.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

For now I'll stick with the LG G3. Just ordered a zerolemon case, some thermal paste for cooling mod, and 64gb SD card. Should last me another good 2 years. Had this phone since released in 2014.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah the G3 is a beast of a phone. Still specs out better than a lot of stuff coming out now. First one with the Quad HD screen, first one with laser focus, 3db ram all the way back then (as long as you have the 32gb version) removable 3000mah battery, micro SD and the Snapdragon 801 is still a very good processor. I was planning on keeping mine for while too with a Nougat rom on it or whatever but this V20 deal was just too good. Even the Sprint store rep had zero idea why they were doing the special except to just have a deal way to good to NOT switch to Sprint. We have blanket Sprint coverage in this state and I have not once lost data or voice since I've had the service.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Did the cooling mod, and new battery and what a difference. It's only been 2 hours with the battery but usually I would already drop to about 50 percent. I'm currently at 95 percent left on the extended battery. And my temps don't go above 70 anymore. Put thermal paste between the CPU and the backing. Fantastic mod!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good to hear, I never did that mod but I can see how it would help a phone that can get hot especially if you use a Qi charger with it. That's one thing I miss wit the V20 but I think there are provisions for Qi to be added later. Rapid charge and RIDICULOUS battery life on the V20 makes up for it tho.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to take a screenshot of the temps but so far so good. Temps been hovering around 50 with moderate use. Youtube, Twitch, etc. Battery is at 75 percent so far. One thing that has been annoying is that I've been getting the "Blue Screen" and I would have to take the battery out and back in to work properly again.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Current temps at max brightness after watching Twitch and browsing Instagram/Web for about 25-30 Minutes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1483991303238.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	215177  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar