Street outlaws - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Street outlaws

I enjoy the show street outlaws. It's interesting to watch. I'm not sure how much is real and how much is for the show. Interested to see what other people think about it.
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I enjoy watching it as well.
I think that it is mostly scripted, but I believe the races are real.
I was disappointed by Jason's attitude towards Richard Rawlings during the GM vs SO race. He really appeared like a whiny adolescent when Richard wouldn't drive the car. He should have kept his mouth shut, bet as much cash as he felt comfortable with, run the race, and walk away with pretty boy's money. Instead, now I think that they are both kinda tools.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The racing is legit. They have been racing for a long time and they have races on their YouTube channel and also dating back pretty far on 1320s channel

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yes, the racing is legit. Justin (Chief), Shawn, and the others are no longer racing illegally on the streets though (at least not on the show). Everything is in a controlled environment. If you pay close attention to a few shows you can see the blue strobes of the local PD as they block access to the race site and set.

As for the "Mega Race"; I am pretty sure that was all for reality TV drama.

It was also a bit of a Dodge Demon ad. Listen as Richard says, "That is a mean demon", or something similar. There is also the Demon emblem on the roof, and a Demon hood on the car. All of this before the Demon was released. I am certain it was supposed to be a promotion. The donor car itself was a "to be scrapped" HellCat prototype.

In the end the race happened, and the Street Outlaw boys went home with a victory. Justin acted like himself, and held to his grudge racing roots. Richard stayed true to his egotistical persona, and all was recorded as it was likely designed.

I can tell you with certainty that Richard's car was the better car. It was a lot faster. Fortunately for the Midwest boys Laughlin didn't have the car set up correctly. The kid also didn't have a good reaction time.

Justin had a huge advantage in the fact that he rebuilt what was essentially the car he crashed.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
I called him Jason.

The Mega race was definitely dramatically scripted, but it was obvious that Justin didn't like Richard... At all! And you can't really blame him. GM basically hired a professional race team to beat the Street Outlaws.
I had already heard the outcome of the race before the episode aired. I was hoping that there was going to be a sizeable bet made. It was a letdown that SO didn't fully hustle GM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Never bet unless it's a sure thing. If I had to line up next to Laughlin Racing I would be cautious myself.

I'm not a fan of Richard or Gas Monkey. He appears pompous, egotistical, and completely self serving. He can't do anything without paying someone to make it happen.

Richard buys and sells junk, and at the end of the day he is nothing more than a used car salesman in my eyes.

Dave Kindig is a true car builder. His work is second to none in my opinion. I'm not sure he can build a drag car though. Show cars require a different skill set than a race car builder. Both are a separate specialty.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

To be fair Justin didn't really build the second crow either though

Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
To be fair Justin didn't really build the second crow either though

He had a lot of help. There is no denying that. I can tell you from experience that a 3000hp track car doesn't happen in a few weeks without a lot of hands. Chief did put his hands on the car, used his parts, and had blood and sweat invested. Richard had money and a Dodge handout.

The odds were far from even. I'm glad Midwest pulled a win.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would love to see the Street Outlaw boys make a few trips to some of the small town tracks for a bit of real grudge racing.

I can assure you that deep pockets and fast cars from Jackson South Carolina's "House of Hook" would make the 405 guys go home looking for a new way to make money. Test and Tune nights at the Carolina Dragway are nothing more than a grudgefest.

I used to own Grudgebike.com, and I sat and watched a lot of cars put down passes that were unrealistic. The same can be said for my boys and their bikes.

I ran an 03 Hayabusa that looked like an everyday bike. I even kept dual exhaust. I will not reveal the specs or times, but I will say that it rivaled a lot of stretched turbo and nitrous bikes. There are a lot of secrets in the raceworld.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I liked the Farmbird! Haha. That camper shell was awesome!
I thought for sure that Aaron's beamer would.annihilate the Firebird on the autocross course, but it was actually pretty close! I think that Farmtruck had more time to memorize the course.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

An LS BMW is impressive. The Farmbird is in a world of its own.

I could watch Farmtruck and AZN all day. Those two are nuts.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

They do a lot of grudge racing all over the place. Just gotta look on youtube

Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I watched the YouTube video of the group on pinks. That was cool. But it's a good show.

I was really disappointed with the mega race. Richard messed up. I think he should have drove the car and jst taken the loss. And they could have raced multiple times through out the running of their shows and keep the hype up about it. Richard is a wealthy guy, he could have found track time.

Now I don't think he would have ever beat chief. Chief is a great driver. But it would have made things better for Richard's own brand of a person.

I'm a little curious about the behind the scenes money for the street outlaw guys. If you listen to the pod cast I feel like they pick up and go places all the time. And are constantly traveling or betting or whatever. Not to mention chief dropped a dime to build the new crow. I don't think the show provides that much money. But who knows
Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Richard never agreed to drive and he also posted the email he agreed to on the internet. Him driving a 3000 hp car is just dangerous and asinine. There is actually two times the 405 guys were on pinks

Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Richard never agreed to drive and he also posted the email he agreed to on the internet. Him driving a 3000 hp car is just dangerous and asinine. There is actually two times the 405 guys were on pinks

Oh man I never saw that. Well either way I thought it was a good race. I was hoping to see it come down to the 3rd race
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Honestly I think dicovery bamboozled both of them to make some drama to promote both of their shoes

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Shows

Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Watched one episode, only thing I paid attention to was the Terminator in said episode. I'll stick with 1320.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Watched one episode, only thing I paid attention to was the Terminator in said episode. I'll stick with 1320.

Pick your poison.
1320 videos are addicting.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapka View Post
I watched the YouTube video of the group on pinks. That was cool. But it's a good show.

I was really disappointed with the mega race. Richard messed up. I think he should have drove the car and jst taken the loss. And they could have raced multiple times through out the running of their shows and keep the hype up about it. Richard is a wealthy guy, he could have found track time.

Now I don't think he would have ever beat chief. Chief is a great driver. But it would have made things better for Richard's own brand of a person.

I'm a little curious about the behind the scenes money for the street outlaw guys. If you listen to the pod cast I feel like they pick up and go places all the time. And are constantly traveling or betting or whatever. Not to mention chief dropped a dime to build the new crow. I don't think the show provides that much money. But who knows
I agree. If Richard would have at least made an attempt to drive that car, it may have helped improve the ratings for his show, and more importantly, he wouldn't look like such a candy-arse.
Dennis Collins and him claim to have held the trans-continental speed record at one time. Now that takes balls to do! What happened???

As far as money that they recieved from Discovery, it is rumored to be around $25k per episode for the main characters on reality television shows. I'm not sure if they get any money for certain "props". They also are paid, or are given goods or services, by various sponsors, along with paid appearances at events to promote the show.
You will notice that when Street Outlaws first aired, most of the guys had older trucks and open car trailers. Now they all have nice trucks and big enclosed trailers. Television "street racing" has been good to them.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

No way Richard should have attempted to drive that car

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1492710122042.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	228706  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No way Richard should have attempted to drive that car

Why not?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Why not?
I agree. Richard could have gotten training and seat time. After Richard lost his runs, then Laughlin could have at it.

All in all, TV drama. All promoted B.S. to get people talking. Free advertisement.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I agree. Richard could have gotten training and seat time. After Richard lost his runs, then Laughlin could have at it.

All in all, TV drama. All promoted B.S. to get people talking. Free advertisement.

That's for sure. The show was a huge promotion for them. Unfortunately Richard got the short end regardless of what the email said or what he agreed too.

I'm definitely not a fan of farm truck or Asian. I find them to be incredibly annoying. And only get put on the show to add a little "comic" relief. When I normally DVR the show. And fast forward thru their stupid portions of the show. I wanted Aaron to win that challenge. I liked the BMW better. But the farm bird was a cool looking car. But that race was completely opposite of the BS that happened between Richard and chief. Aaron build the car himself and drove it and what not. And they're most likely gonna race again for more self promotion.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, Farmtruck and AZN are comic relief. To each his own; I find the pair to be amusing. However, I have been known to serve as the court jester at times myself.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I started watching that show last season, mainly when I heard about the big crash with the goat and to see the cars. That show is terrible lol. I can't believe grown men act that way. Some of those chuckleheads are around my age (or look like it), and still act like children. I quit watching after the crash last season. I'm not a huge fan of Gas Monkey, but I really liked Aaron. I was going to stop watching after that mega race and Aaron was done. It was pretty pathetic the way the big black knee sock wearing dork acted and I suspect you guys are right, it was all just for the show.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just wish they would show an actual race, without 47 camera cuts and angle changes. A few are fine......but it's way too much IMO.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar