Welp... going to Spain... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol
The weather has a grip on you Scotty... And she isn't ready to let go just yet!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Well down here its like 50 degrees and sunny. Flight boards at 10PM tonight. Finally... gtfo time...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #38
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Good luck man!
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Have a good flight!

And be sure to write us when you find work...
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

It was awful... all the delayed flights hit the terminal at once, so like 1000 ppl trying to check in at the same time... it might have been more... got there super early because was told it would be a madhouse. 6 hours in line, 2 hour delay, 7 hour flight, then another 2 hours probably to get checked into temporary lodging.

However.... omg its as good as I remember it here. Air is fresh, its 60 degrees out, sunny, walking around in gym shorts, t shirt and sandals. People meeting us were great, the key spouse had care packages all loaded up with snacks and a few groceries, pets all made it safe and I'm just relaxing mindlessly on the internets with a few beers and first actual meal in like 48 hours since we were living off lean pockets and ramen in the hotel in Virginia...

Will post pics up later or tomorrow. Going to look at homes this weekend and will see about getting a ride to Jerez to get a long term rental car. During off-peak months (now) its like $300USD for a pretty nice car per month. That's like basically leasing... I'll take it till the stang gets here and I get a beater.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

At first I was thinking, "Beer already?!?" I've barely had coffee and it is only lunchtime on the east coast! Haha. Gonna have to readjust for the time difference!

Nice!
I'm so glad that this all worked out for you and your family Scotty. I hope that all of you thoroughly enjoy your time together while you are there.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah its 6 hours ahead. And I'm getting over jet lag finally.

Got a rental VW Golf for a month. Little 4 banger 6 speed stick and I DEFINITELY made the right choice setting the stang up for handling here... 0 traffic lights, ALL roundabouts, LOTS of curves and exits. Thing is going to be ridiculous on these roads. Can't wait.

Also fighting the cell phones. Well... my wife's iphone went onto the towers here just fine and oddly enough so did my daughter's cheap Samsung J3. No LTE for it but the HSPA+ speeds out here are like 15/5 without LTE so she is fine. My $$$ LG V20 of course only can do talk and texts... Looks like I'm going to be Amazoning an unlocked mid level $200 phone out here...

Oh, that's something else. Cell phone plans are STUPID cheap here. 5 euro a month for a 1GB plan for my kid, 10 Euro for a 2GB plan for the wife and 20 Euro for 10 gigs for me. Speeds are awesome, I just need a phone that works on the 4G frequencies out here. What I get for having Sprint in the US lol.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Everything regarding telecommunications in Europe is super cheap compared to the US.

I have a cousin who just came back from living in Madrid for the past few years and she said she paid around €80/month for 500Mbps fiber internet with no caps, a landline with unlimited data, cell phone with unlimited talk/text and 4GB of data and was able to use her Samsung phone she had from living here in the states.

All of that under a single plan for less than $100/month. She also said she never had any issues with downtime on anything.

She also said, nearly everyone in Europe is extremely pleasant as long as you make an attempt to abide by their culture, customs and etiquette.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

She also said, nearly everyone in Europe is extremely pleasant as long as you make an attempt to abide by their culture, customs and etiquette.
You might consider taking up smoking Scotty...

Just kidding.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, nah. Maybe wearing speedos at the pool/beach instead? Jk jk... ow...

I think one of the things you notice is that there are literally 0 trucks on the road besides the odd actual like Semi or work truck. No pickups, no SUVs, no minivans except for those brought by Americans. Its literally 80% hatchbacks, 15% sedans, 5% everything else. I mean around here as far as I've seen. I didn't pay much attention to this stuff when I was flying tbth...

As far as the communications, yeah we are on like... I guess their version of Boost Mobile out here except it doesn't suck. That is just for right now. I'll see what prices I get for bundles out here but yeah I know my total communications bill is going to be 100 Euro or less all told. Paying 35 Euro right now for a way way WAY better plan and speeds than I was paying $80 for on Sprint and that was before phone costs. Going to assume when I get a bundle with Vodafone, Movistar or Orange I'm going to be paying even less than that for better but I need a NIE number (spanish green card basically) and a Spanish bank account (can't get till I get a NIE) before I can do that. Plus a house...

Seeing houses tomorrow. Ordered a new phone on Amazon that should be here in 8-10 days... Waiting for the stang to show up in the shipping tracking.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

So I have seen 4 other Mustangs and a Challenger so far. Its a very tiny TINY base though. Another silver New Edge (mine is nicer, they are going to be pissed probably lol), a silver 2013/2014 GT, a white 94/95 GT (Fobra lol) and then a 05-09 GT I couldn't see that well.

The Coyote is stupid nice. When I get my car here I'm sure we'll be flagging each other down and BSing, apparently there are like about 7 or 8 ppl with Mustangs on post here and they all know each other. Hopefully we can do cruises and stuff, would be awesome. Besides that Coyote mine is easily the nicest one I've seen and probably has the least miles lol.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Cool!
That would be a fun way to do some exploring!

They also have a few drag racing events somewhere in Spain, don't they?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno, my car is setup for handling although putting 4.10s in it now would not be totally out of the question. Speed limits here are about 120kph (75mph) and people seem pretty good about staying in that area on the highway although so far I've been going mostly on 90kph speed limit roads. So like 55-60mph with 4.10s in 5th would be perfect.

4.10s with a 7500k redline and a dialed in 4V would probably be mid-high 11 second capable with a lot of practice at the track and some sticky tires.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to go professional... I was just thinking that it might be a memorable experience to run your Mustang down a strip in Spain. And just to see what your car will run in it's current form.
I was actually thinking a mid to low 13 in street trim...
Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #50
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Maybe wearing speedos at the pool/beach instead?
Pics = Permaban

Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Pics = Permaban

You dont want pics of the knuck? 😁

Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

Some pics not involving me in a speedo. 😁

From tour today. We met a member of the city council and they had a Tapas spread waiting for us too with Tinto de Verano (sweet wine mixed with 7up). Then lunch was 4 small courses and dessert with 2 big glasses of really good spanish wine for $15USD.

I think ill manage here lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1516292173556.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	250841   Click image for larger version

Name:	1516292185886.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	250849  

Name:	1516292202381.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	250857   Click image for larger version

Name:	1516292242228.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	250865  

Name:	1516292260453.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	250873  

Old 01-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #53
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Really nice looking area!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

MAN! That looks nice there. Cold rainy drab day in the mountains here.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Same here. That does look nice.

Scotty could have a future in recruiting after this tour.
"Here are some photos taken from the veranda of my villa."
"The driveway leading to my villa."
"And this is the base chapel"
"I'm telling you man, joining the Air Force is like going on a European vacation!".
:
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #56
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Same here. That does look nice.

Scotty could have a future in recruiting after this tour.
"Here are some photos taken from the veranda of my villa."
"The driveway leading to my villa."
"And this is the base chapel"
"I'm telling you man, joining the Air Force is like going on a European vacation!".
:
Nah, that's not the base chapel but it might as well be, its literally 3 minutes from the gate. The base chapel is closed for renovations and they said some ppl are getting married in the movie theater? Classy... especially when you have THAT right off base.

As for "the driveway leading to my villa"... well there are a few like that I'm not gonna lie. I'll have a place in pre-contract by next thursday at the latest and we'll go from there. The one I'm looking at tomorrow is literally on the front row of one of the nicest beaches in the area with orange trees and a full rooftop patio and finished basement.

And yeah living in Europe is a complete racket for active military but... we are ACTIVE MILITARY... Depending on the house I get and how energy efficient it is my pay will bump up $700-$1000 from what I was making in the states tho and stuff is STUPID cheap here. Even gas off base will be american prices because I'll get a gas card and then I'll be able to get a 93 octane re-tune since off base I can get 98 RON (93 PON) vs the 95 RON (91 PON) they sell on base.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds Great!

That church looks pretty old.
Spain didn't get bombed to rubble like much of Europe during WW2, did it?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #58
Staff
Regular
Staff

No they were technically neutral during the war but the Nazis had bases here. It was a dictatorship till the 80s as well. It was pretty much untouched during the war. That church is from 1622. The city of Cadiz which is a half hour way is the oldest in western europe, they have 3000 year old buildings there... One of our first trips will be there, we might hit Gibraltar this weekend.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I love history and old buildings . Stuff like that.
Appreciate you sharing the photos!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'll definitely keep sharing. Gibraltar, Tangiers, Seville, Madrid, the Alhambra, Grenada and we'll get to Barcelona and Paris and the UK/Ireland next year.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

My brother was a lifer in the Navy. He was stationed in Rota I believe. He was an electronics technician. Worked on the radar gear. The ship he was on was floating factory. They could make anything. Tended to the nuclear subs. He, his wife and girls loved it there. Stayed an extra tour because it was so nice. He talked of Cadiz and another small town I can't remember right now that seemed to be their favorites. I know you and your family are going to love it there.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

Probably was Puerto that he loved. That is where we are probably going to live. And yes it is bonkers nice here.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Did 3 years in Rota, on 2 sub tenders, great our of duty. I remember buying local beer down town, you rented the bottles & case, only paid for what they put in the bottles. Lived off base for almost a year, quite an experience.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

Local beer here is kinda garbage but there are a few micro brews open now that don't suck apparently. The wine is a different story as I'm sure you know lol.

Starting to look for a "rota beater" this weekend too. Can get a legit omfg beater for 1500 or something a lot nicer like a mid 2000s BMW with low miles for $4500. Ill figure it out, still waiting on my nie number...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #65
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Spain is one of the few places I've been to that I would consider living in (also the Cayman Islands) but, it was over 20 yrs ago that I was there.

ex-Squid
Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Did 3 years in Rota, on 2 sub tenders, great our of duty. I remember buying local beer down town, you rented the bottles & case, only paid for what they put in the bottles. Lived off base for almost a year, quite an experience.

WOW, That is really a nice ship. Looks like the one my brother was on. And it could be, don't remember the designator. My brother and family lived off base also. Cost of living there was such that they were able to have a live in maid / nanny for the girls. When they got back to the states the youngest daughter could barely speak any English and the oldest was dual linguist from hanging around the nanny all the time . Great times for my brother and his family.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #67
Staff
Regular
Staff

We'll for sure have enough to have a maid come in every friday and make the place spotless. And still have a ton leftover. The school we want our daughter to go to is very small but has about 10 other American kids so they will be able to translate for her till she picks it up. The person we are talking to enrolled her son this September speaking 0 Spanish and he is basically fluent now. They are super accomodating for new American students as well.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:21 AM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Moved in last night. Crazy last few days. Huge finished basement, very nice house timed the walk from my front door to the beach as in feet in the water and its 2 minutes. Full rooftop deck as well plus fruit trees. Let me go get a lemon off my lemon tree to drop in my Cerveza...

Will take more pics tomorrow. Mustang parking is covered carport and TIGHT but it'll fit. If I need to work on it there is a shop with lifts for 5 euros an hour plus tool use and air about 15 minutes away.

Now just waiting for my household goods and car to get here... Stuck watching TV on a crappy 32" lol. Oh well. VPN on a firestick = we can watch all our USA programming.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1517419246464.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	252985  

Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Soooooooooooooooo your saying heaven is in Spain?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #70
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'll find out in the summer... apparently the women here basically just don't wear anything lol. Giggity.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

« Cars cars cars | - »