Welp... going to Spain... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Welp... going to Spain...

For 4 years. Military... just found out this morning, heart is still racing. Have 6 months to get everything in order. Sadly that'll probably involve selling the Mustang AS IS. My wife is losing it right now because she has to get rid of some of the animals we have... sucks right now but in the long run it'll be really really good.

When I return I'll have 18 months left till I have the option to do a full 20 year retirement from the USAF and will go from there.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
At least it's not Iraq.....good luck and thanks for your service. I was just at Seymore Johnson AFB over the weekend for an air show. Utmost respect to you guys.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
One of the few countries I've been to where I would consider living....but it was 25 yrs ago and I know the economies are way different now.

5 1/2 yrs left...stick it out if you can at all. You should be young enough to have a even better 2nd 1/2 of your life.

J
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
What part?

I was in Madrid and Malaga for 2 months over the summer. Gets a little too hot but not a bad place to live.

No way of taking the animals??

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For 4 years. Military... just found out this morning, heart is still racing. Have 6 months to get everything in order. Sadly that'll probably involve selling the Mustang AS IS. My wife is losing it right now because she has to get rid of some of the animals we have... sucks right now but in the long run it'll be really really good.

When I return I'll have 18 months left till I have the option to do a full 20 year retirement from the USAF and will go from there.

4 years? I thought overseas assignments were 2 or 3 years...wth
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

4 years AFIAK right now, just got the assignment listing this morning.

Have found out since through more research that we can take 2 of our dogs and most of our cats. 5 pets total with a potential workaround for a few more but... they are cats... The ****tiest thing his my Irish Wolfhound is going to have to go back to his breeders... I'm real upset about that... might try to find a way to take him but he's 170lbs... Have to see how much shipping costs for dogs. Cats you can just carry on the plane and some dogs under a certain weight.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You may want to double check tour length...4 years is usually only for an extended long tour and you have to be a volunteer. Unless it's some special assignment, then all bets are off 😀
Old 05-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #8
Still racing. ..
Supporter

Region: Kansas
Thanks for your commitment and service...!
Number29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTNMustang View Post
You may want to double check tour length...4 years is usually only for an extended long tour and you have to be a volunteer. Unless it's some special assignment, then all bets are off 😀
USAF, its probably extended long, most ppl here do those length tours although it could be shorter. I'll find out today probably. Can't sleep ugh... Excited but the list of stuff I have to get done in 6 months seems crazy... its mostly just selling off my reptile collection (easy honestly) and then either selling or parting my project Mustang. The only other PITA thing will be arranging for the pets to come with but that's just paperwork.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
First, thanks for your service; much appretiated in my household. If you need a place to store the project Mustang, perhaps there can be some help.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Spain will be nice. Maybe you can go to bull fighting school
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post

Or...pick up an European right-hand drive Mustang and bring back to the States at the end of your tour 😁
Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thank you for your service.
Did 3 years in Rota Spain a long time ago, fixing SSBN's.
Good times, your family should enjoy it.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
First, thanks for your service; much appretiated in my household. If you need a place to store the project Mustang, perhaps there can be some help.
I could get the USAF to store it free... but then I give up any rights to have a vehicle I get over there shipped back on the return leg. Probably would regret it IMO. I'm going to list it as a whole project at first and aggressively push it on forums/fb and if it doesn't sell... I can make most of my money back parting it. I was told by 3 or 4 ppl I should part it when I got it and make $1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Lol, I'll fill out the High Risk Activity form and get on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTNMustang View Post
Or...pick up an European right-hand drive Mustang and bring back to the States at the end of your tour 😁
Lmao, if I bring anything back it'll be a real nice BMW I get over there tax/duty free for the cheaper European dealer prices than here. I'm having my beater Honda shipped over as its reliable, it can transport our dogs and it gets good mileage and its nondescript. It also checks the box for allowing me to ship something back on the return trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Thank you for your service.
Did 3 years in Rota Spain a long time ago, fixing SSBN's.
Good times, your family should enjoy it.
Thanks, I hope so. The wife and kid were in full freakout mode yesterday but already the kid is fine and my wife... she'll need a little time to wrap her head around it. But she was looking at all different places to visit in Europe already. Military hotels all over at $60 a night make it pretty economical to visit a lot of places as does the Patriot Express via Space-A.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thank you for your service and commitment. Good luck out there. We will be waiting for you and your family to return!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hey thanks to all who said thanks to me. TBTH, this is a good deal not a hardship. Its going to suck the next few months getting rid of my reptiles and my Mustang and going through our entire life's worth of stuff and getting rid of all the junk we've accumulated but that's probably a good thing. Rota, Spain has amazing weather, amazing food, people are great, local to a TON of awesome stuff, access to all of Europe via car/rail and gorgeous beaches are a 10-15 minute walk from the base. Went through there numerous times when I was flying, its a great location.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

My other option to keep the Mustang I have been thinking of... drop in that 4V asap NA and get a mail order tune for a "stock" 99/01 Cobra/Mach. Everything else on the car works 100% minus a few cosmetic things it needs. Car only has 34k miles on it, my beater truck and Honda are both in the 120-140k range...

I mean if I'm just doing a simple 4V swap with all stock parts and no bells and whistles I coudl probably have it running pretty quick... hmmm... Would be fun as hell to have that car in Spain and I could sell it when I leave and make a ton of $$$ since you can't get them there.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Or get one of these....

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83352

SMR #8017
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Anything like that would be on the return leg in 4 years and I'm not going to pretend to know what the situation will be then. Hell, if we LOVE it over there we might go so far as to stay longer. If I make E-7 we could.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
My other option to keep the Mustang I have been thinking of... drop in that 4V asap NA and get a mail order tune for a "stock" 99/01 Cobra/Mach. Everything else on the car works 100% minus a few cosmetic things it needs. Car only has 34k miles on it, my beater truck and Honda are both in the 120-140k range...

I mean if I'm just doing a simple 4V swap with all stock parts and no bells and whistles I coudl probably have it running pretty quick... hmmm... Would be fun as hell to have that car in Spain and I could sell it when I leave and make a ton of $$$ since you can't get them there.
Now you are using your cabeza for something other than a hat rack! (You just got your first Spanish lesson)

You should be able to get that car running in a few weekends. And even if you don't end up shipping it overseas, it will be worth more to someone as a running vehicle.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Thanks for your service and your family's commitment! Glad you are sticking it out to reach 20 years. I think that will be a satisfying accomplishment, especially at your age (still be under 40?).

I really like the Steeda Mustang you found. I think I'd do the 4v swap and try to keep her, but I understand that is a difficult decision. I'm sure the stang would turn some heads out there lol.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

Do it. While I was there, people were drooling over a 2005-2009 v6 that kept driving around. You'll easily triple your money when you go to sell it over there.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Now you are using your cabeza for something other than a hat rack! (You just got your first Spanish lesson)

You should be able to get that car running in a few weekends. And even if you don't end up shipping it overseas, it will be worth more to someone as a running vehicle.
I'm gonna try to just get it running NA. Only thing I might do is swap in my 99 Cobra cams (202 duration) for the Lincoln cams in there now. And honestly I'll probably just not even crack it open for that... Bubble wrap and cardboard on them and store them. Cams in there are the same as the Mach so whatever. Also have the supercharger boxed and stored or sell it for some moving $$$ and just buy a Vortech when I come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Thanks for your service and your family's commitment! Glad you are sticking it out to reach 20 years. I think that will be a satisfying accomplishment, especially at your age (still be under 40?).

I really like the Steeda Mustang you found. I think I'd do the 4v swap and try to keep her, but I understand that is a difficult decision. I'm sure the stang would turn some heads out there lol.
I like it too lol. I think I'm going to try to get it done this summer and then take it. 34k miles on the body, 40k miles on the replacement 4V. Getting it running NA is nothing compared to what I'd need for the blower. I have all the parts except for a few air intake pieces and those stupid 99/01/03/04 throttle cables which I can just suck it up and get.

And thanks for the kind words on the service. At 20 years in I will be 42 or so, I was out for 3 years finishing college and then the job market crashed so right back in I went lol. If we do love it overseas honestly I'll probably try to do 8 over there and maybe get Germany after Spain if that's possible, I know ppl who have done 8 overseas on 2 back to back tours. That would take me to 22-23 years and then we'd decide what to do at that point. Lots of ppl retire over there or they get orders back to a base of choice in the States and then just buy a house and retire there all on the military's dime for moving costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Do it. While I was there, people were drooling over a 2005-2009 v6 that kept driving around. You'll easily triple your money when you go to sell it over there.
That's what I've been told. I can take it over there and sell it for a LOT of money especially with that mileage it has.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Got the IRS apart and bushing tools ready to go. Ran out of time this weekend doing other stuff around the house and selling off my collection of reptiles (yes reptiles).

Still not sure if I'm going to try to get it running or part it. If I do get it running... I really have half a mind to even say screw the 4V conversion and just drop my 34k mile Windsor heads on that Continental motor with some basic HP292 regrinds and call it. Higher compression from the 4V pistons and good cams would be a pretty solid 310-320 to the wheels and sell the Paxton and worry about a power adder later.

That is the simplest thing at this point and I could get a solid $3k for all the 4V parts and blower. I only paid $5500 for the whole car lmao. All the 4V stuff I have is free from those 5 or 6 engines I parted out.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you end up offloading the 4v let me know. I may be interested if you are willing to ship it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

What the supercharger or the engine or what? Will ship anything from live animals to palletized stuff, I dunno why ppl make a huge deal out of shipping big ****. Just go find a pallet and drop it off at RL Carriers or something lol.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah man LMK if you want to buy anything. I can pull the 4V apart even and just ship you heads, 99 Cobra cams and a Mach intake if you are serious and keep the bottom end and slap my Windsor heads and a set of Cushman stage 1 cams on it or something and boom. Can ship all that in a big UPS box.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

I know it sounds counterproductive to what I had planned to eventually do but I'm bumping up against 3 months before I'd have to have it running and shipped. A NA 2V with some pre-degreed cams would be the stupid cheapest way to do this although I do have most of the 4V stuff on hand... Have to think...

Old 06-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

So what is your AFSC? I spent six years in, Security Police K-9 Handler. I wondered where you were going from some of your other comments.

GOOD LUCK on Your New Assignment.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Aircraft Maintenance.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Another update. Base in Spain came back yesterday with a request for my wife's full medical records so they can determine that they do indeed have the medical facilities for her... ugh if they cancel my orders over a psych visit every 3 months and a very low dose prescription of anti-depressants I'm going to scream. Wife is already real upset and saying that it'll be all her fault if we don't get to go... fun times...

Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If it is meant to be, it will happen. There is no reason to stress yourself out over something you cannot control.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd.....................

Approved today. Going in Dec/Jan! Might have to be Jan because of the end of year holiday season.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

That's great man!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Figured I'd update this, the saga continues...

Obviously the Mustang got done and dropped off last week. I'm in Norfolk now... and just found out that all the flights here are cancelled till probably the 15th... wt literal f... I'm on the phone with my losing and gaining units trying to figure out if they just want me to wait or if they are going to put me on a commercial aircraft which would make coming all the way to Norfolk completely pointless lol.

Ah fun... At least the hotel is nice and wifi works and the Roku works on the wifi.

I'll arrive in Spain at some point...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar