Royal Purple users plz come in! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Royal Purple users plz come in!

Always kind of consider it a... gimmick product... oil/lube with purple food coloring but... LMR has it in all their stuff so what the hell.

Used some of it this weekend. LMR rear diff fluid/lube locker gasket kit.
Its fluid... but... seems like it has a hell of a cult following. Yeah Mobil 1 is cheaper, there is Amsoil etc... but... I dunno ppl swear by it. Wanting to get actual RP users in here and why they use it. Would prefer actual technical stuff to back it up not just "I've used it for X yrs and its been great###murica###" etc...

Def cheaper than Amsoil and can get it at stores or Amazon vs having to find an Amsoil dealer.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I'm doing research myself. When I change the rear diff fluid next I am considering RP and a friction modifier.

I'm not sure whether or not RP has a friction modifier. I have not looked that deep into the product line yet.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I used it on my GT for my first oil change since ownership. I've put 5,600 miles on it so far. No opinion yet, except it's exspensive. However I'm not doing 3k or 5k mile oil changes with it so that's saving some money, or equaling two oil changes. Not sure if I'm going to wait for the oil change indicator on the computer or change it around 7.5k. I think if I change it that soon it will negate my two oil change theory. Haven't noticed anything different with the engine. I'm curious to see how dirty the oil looks when I change it.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
I used it on my GT for my first oil change since ownership. I've put 5,600 miles on it so far. No opinion yet, except it's exspensive. However I'm not doing 3k or 5k mile oil changes with it so that's saving some money, or equaling two oil changes. Not sure if I'm going to wait for the oil change indicator on the computer or change it around 7.5k. I think if I change it that soon it will negate my two oil change theory. Haven't noticed anything different with the engine. I'm curious to see how dirty the oil looks when I change it.
The previous owner of my car used Royal Purple. He said the car's oil was fresh. I still changed the oil immediately with Mobil 1 when I got it home.

The RP was black when I drained it. However, the oil is supposed to be purple, so I don't know if you will physically see a color change.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The previous owner of my car used Royal Purple. He said the car's oil was fresh. I still changed the oil immediately with Mobil 1 when I got it home.

The RP was black when I drained it. However, the oil is supposed to be purple, so I don't know if you will physically see a color change.
I thought I read somewhere that the purple color goes away after its been through heating and cooling cycles in your engine. I wonder how fresh the oil was for it to be black.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the purple color goes away after its been through heating and cooling cycles in your engine. I wonder how fresh the oil was for it to be black.

It's does go to black!.. The purple color is really like a color additive!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think I might do one of those oil testing kits and see how it comes back. I've never done one of those before.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it's prob the same dye they use in home heating oil......for those not familiar with that heating oil is exempt from many taxes.....it is pretty much the same as diesel fuel so they add purple tint to it. If you drive a truck one of the inspections they will do at safety checks is stick your tank. Woe be the driver that has purple in his tank.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I've used it in mine since 2012 (just over 30k miles total). I tried Mobil 1 for one oil change and really didn't care for what it looked like after 3k miles. Even though RP doesn't keep it's color (for obvious reasons), it still looked cleaner than the Mobil 1 did after 3k and even 5k miles. That's really the main reason I've stuck with it. I plan to send off a sample for testing later this summer/fall when I change it again, just for comparison to Amsoil that I was planning to try. I believe it can certainly be overpriced, but I also believe it can't be a bad oil. I feel like if it was actually bad, it would have already met it's demise with the populous by now. It's possible that I'll go back to RP after my trial of Amsoil just because lol.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm doing research myself. When I change the rear diff fluid next I am considering RP and a friction modifier.

I'm not sure whether or not RP has a friction modifier. I have not looked that deep into the product line yet.
The LMR kit comes with friction modifier, it is recommended to always use friction modifier independently. My kit came with the lube locker gasket (badass and no more RTV mess/scraping), 2 quarts of RP and a small tube of friction modifier. I put one quart in, dumped in the modifier and then fluid started to spill out of the fill hole I'd say with like maybe 1/8th of the final bottle left.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Lube locker gaskets are the best, totally worth the cost over rtv.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Lube locker gaskets are the best, totally worth the cost over rtv.
I will choose a gasket over RTV any day.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yup, dry as a bone. Just wire wheeled off the mating surfaces with a brass wire wheel and installed. Torqued bolts in sequence that comes right on the box it comes in. Did not expect it to work as well as it did but all the reviews were glowing.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You can't get any better than mobil 1 is how I feel about the engine oil.

I just used royal purple Full synthetic manual transmission fluid, put it in three days ago only because mobil 1 does not offer any.

I already have mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil for the rear axle, It says you do not need the friction modifier in most cases so I'm not sure what exactly I will do when I change the axle fluid. .... I want to buy the finned aluminum axle cover first.

I would use mobil in the transmission but they don't offer it.
Blue coil covers.
Victoryrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #15

Region: Massachusetts
I have seen a few oil test comparisons and Royal Purple motor oil is no better than the main stream synthetic oils like Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.

However, I put Royal Purple SyncroMax in the MT-82 tranny of my 15 and it made the shifting much smoother and less notchy.

As far as additional friction modifier to gear lube that has it my recommendation is try it without adding extra. If you get any roughness or shuddering going around corners then add some more.
dgc333 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar