Cutting the cord - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Yup, crapcast I'm hoping the cap increases when you upgrade to one of the faster packages, but i doubt it lol. I'll have to a Roku. I'm definitely going to buy a refurbished Apple TV by the end of the week.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Why Apple TV? If you do get the 4, don't get anything older than that. The 2nd Gen Fire TV does everything the AppleTV4 does just as well and a lot cheaper plus you an sideload Android apps. Unless you need to have Apple for some reason. And what is wrong with Roku? The new Ultra is super nice, if you are someone familiar with Roku and don't need a Fire device to load Android stuff (like me) then I'd say the Ultra should be at the top of anyone's list.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #38
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Why Apple TV? If you do get the 4, don't get anything older than that. The 2nd Gen Fire TV does everything the AppleTV4 does just as well and a lot cheaper plus you an sideload Android apps. Unless you need to have Apple for some reason. And what is wrong with Roku? The new Ultra is super nice, if you are someone familiar with Roku and don't need a Fire device to load Android stuff (like me) then I'd say the Ultra should be at the top of anyone's list.

Lol oops. I meant a refurbished Fire TV. I’ve never seen a Roku in action. I’ll search the tube and see if I can find some video on it. Would you say the Roku is better than those refurbished Fire TV boxes (not the new one coming out soon)?
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd say they are on par. If you are talking about 4K then the Roku will be better because it'll do 60fps and HDR but for 1080p... its a wash.

TBTH, if you just want something to make a bedroom TV "smart" or whatever... its hard to beat the value of the Roku sticks or the Fire stick. I would actually get a cheap Roku stick if you are unsure and see if you like it. The new 2017 Roku 3800 stick is a spectacular value with voice search now and also the power/volume buttons on the remote. If you just want to see if you like a Roku, get the Express.

Quick breakdown:

Fire Strengths
-Behemoth Amazon backing/funding
-Built in prime/amazon ecosystem/alexa
-Android so you can sideload apps
-Good for basic gaming (TV or Cube)

Roku Strengths:
-Way way WAY more channels/apps (look up Roku private channels)
-Less advertising/clutter (but also simpler and not so flashy)
-Better remotes on the $50-up units

My advice? Get a Roku 3800 stick for a bedroom TV or as a secondary smart device on your main TV and see how you like it. Like if you use Google Play movies or Vudu... can't get that on Fire. Also some very specialized stuff and cool private Roku channels are specific to Roku. If you like it better, maybe go with a Roku, if not then you can't go wrong with Fire right now unless you need something specific that Roku has.

I am not getting rid of any of my Roku devices... that is for sure, but they will be secondary devices for the living room/bedroom now. One really cool feature of the Roku is you can get the top end one with headphones in the remote or you can use the app for any of them to run the audio through your phone to headsets so watching TV in a bedroom or room where someone else is trying to sleep or study is nice.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Refurb Fire TV came in just a few minutes ago. Got it set up and on Netflix right now. Picture definitely much better than the Firestick and Roku stick which I already knew because I used to have one of these. Also now I remember how much faster everything works over an ethernet cable vs wifi... and I have good wifi. Stuff loads INSTANTLY with the ethernet cable.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #41
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Sweet! I just ordered a refurbished Roku 2, but I’m still planning on buying a refurbed Fire TV too. I’m thinking about running an ethernet connection in our bedroom since they perform so much better. That’s what we have setup in the family room for the Xbox One and Apple TV.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Why a Roku 2? That is ancient hardware ...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 10-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #43
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Why a Roku 2? That is ancient hardware ...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lol well ****. I thought Roku 2 was the newer tech. I assumed that meant the next gen lol. Whelp, hope it works okay.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd cancel the order or return it... The old Rokus are painfully slow... The 3 is ok just because the Roku OS is still so spartan but they are upgrading it soon.

If you want a cheap Roku, get the 3800 stick that just came out for $50 brand new.

Current Rokus go:

Express
Stick
Stick+
Ultra

Only need the Stick+ or Ultra if you are 4K. Express is cheap but doesn't have the remote with power/volume that the new sticks have.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Can the sticks do ethernet? I assumed they couldn’t due to size.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Fire sticks and Dongles can do ethernet via an adapter coming out in a few days, the Roku sticks cannot.

I've probably been more confusing than helpful tbth...

Are you dead set on Roku? What budget are you looking at? Do you live in a big neighborhood/townhouse/apt where there are a ton of wifi routers or out in the country somewhere? What sort of router do you have?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Good stuff fire stick good for the budget and fire TV is for better processing power.
4.0nativepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #48
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The Fire sticks and Dongles can do ethernet via an adapter coming out in a few days, the Roku sticks cannot.

I've probably been more confusing than helpful tbth...

Are you dead set on Roku? What budget are you looking at? Do you live in a big neighborhood/townhouse/apt where there are a ton of wifi routers or out in the country somewhere? What sort of router do you have?

Honestly, the budget is open. Our goal was to just cut the cord from the big satellite and cable TV providers. My son watches YouTube and plays xbox more than regular TV by far. We’ve had Hulu (non live TV) and Netflix forever, so we’ll keep those. I like PSVue so far, mainly because it looks better with sports, has a traditional guide layout, and has AMC. I ran ethernet to the family room by the TV a few years back for my son and his xbox. It works a lot better for that. We slapped a router there and come off the router to the Apple TV and plan to for the Roku 2. If I buy a Fire TV (refurb), I’ll ethernet that too. Whatever I don’t use in the family room, I’ll move it to the bedroom, so that’s why we’ve been trying different stuff. Our current Fire stick messes up too much to make me happy. Eventually, I’ll string an ethernet cable back to the bedroom, but will use WiFi until then. We use phones and tablets for TV everywhere else.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Yeap we did they same thing we got rid of cable and stuck to internet I have upgraded our modem to output high upload speeds for streaming with 32 channels and upgraded my router to a triband gigabit quad stream router to support multi devices that heavy stream so my kids have their own wifi channel and my wife and I have are own so I have 4 fire sticks we stream mainly Netflix and kodi. Now on Kodi I stream movies and TV shows music and live TV as well as live news. So we use Kodi mainly and my kids mostly YouTube. I watch everything I would watch on cable even hbo. Showtime and etc we have shows we watch on HBO and etc plus regular TV channels a now we don't have to worry about extra fees.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #50
Lorraine's driver

Regular

We are planning on upgrading our modem and plan too. For now, we only have a 25gb service and a dual band WiFi router. We use our old WiFi router as a wired router to in the family room. The WiFi chip died on it. We will upgrade the WiFi router once we get a new modem and 150gb service. As long as we don’t use too many devices on WiFi, we are fine.

I can see us keeping PSVue and adding another service that might offer Velocity Network (if there is one), since we used to watch that channel a lot. I doubt we’ll get anything like Showtime or HBO, but you never know.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I hear that. The best thing you can do is wired in devices to obtain the best speeds and prioritize the band width output through your router settings. Especially if you don't have high speed internet. Other than that there are so many variables that help obtain the best speeds of Internet that you have.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Where I live at we are waiting for Google fiber so that should happen really soon.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #52
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Got my Roku 2 setup. I don’t see PSVue as an app to download. I was not expecting that lol.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Got my Roku 2 setup. I don’t see PSVue as an app to download. I was not expecting that lol.
Sony is the only internet TV that is Android based. The fire stick and fire TV is Android based so that should have playstation app even Sony bluray players have playstation app to access psvue
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #54
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0nativepower View Post
Sony is the only internet TV that is Android based. The fire stick and fire TV is Android based so that should have playstation app even Sony bluray players have playstation app to access psvue

Looks like I’m going to be buying the refurbished Fire TV box sooner than I anticipated lol.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #55
Lorraine's driver

Regular

When will TWD season 8 episode from tonight be on PSVue? Is it the next day or something? Only thing there now is the season 7 ending extended episode.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
When will TWD season 8 episode from tonight be on PSVue? Is it the next day or something? Only thing there now is the season 7 ending extended episode.
I just got done watching twd season 8 ep 1 on Kodi through the fire stick an hour ago.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #57
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0nativepower View Post
I just got done watching twd season 8 ep 1 on Kodi through the fire stick an hour ago.
I saw it on there around 2AM. This is a guess, but maybe it shows up after the episode is finished in all the time zones..?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #58
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is a Vue app for Roku, not sure where you are looking... BUT... the Roku 2 is so old they might have stopped supporting it.

I was not aware you had settled on Vue 100%, if I was I would have told you to 100% NOT get a Roku, Roku has a GODAWFUL interface on Roku. No guide at all, you can't even see what is coming up, just what is on now in a grid format like the Android phone app.

Best device for Vue besides a Playstation 4 is the Fire TV or Apple TV. Recommend the recertified Fire TV if you have Vue. Or the Dongle when it releases in 2 days if you want to save a few bucks and get new. The recertified 2nd gen is the better device though.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also if you guys want a "paid Kodi on crack" get SET TV. SET is "bootleg DirecTV" from Canada. You need one of their boxes or an Android device to run it. I use my Fire TV and Fire stick to get it. Use it as a backup when DirecTV Now goes down or when something is on PPV or for the sports packages.

$20/mo for EVERYTHING. That is EVERY premium, EVERY sports package, EVERY channel DTV offers and EVERY PPV event plus a gigantic On Demand library.

It is currently 100% legal to stream in the USA regardless of what the SET company itself is doing on their end.

https://www.setvnow.com/

They do a 3 day free trial, no credit card needed. Recommend you do the trial Friday night and roll it through the weekend to see how you like it with all the football games and movies etc... If you are not comfortable with them having your CC info, just grab a prepaid $20 Visa and use that.

How to install

NOTE: I have not needed the Stay Alive app, it looks like they have updated the SET app to keep the Fire device awake while being used. Or if not, the app is easy to get and use.

This is very likely going to wind up being my primary TV service in Spain since it isn't geolocked although no telling how long before they are shut down. They have been up for a good while now.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #60
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I did finally see the PSVue app on Roku. Lol you are right, it sucks on it. I should have read the description better before buying the Roku 2. I thought I was buying their newest, just refurb’d. I’ll buy a refurbished Fire TV next week. I’ll probably end up returning the Roku 2.

I’m not sure if I’ll end up doing the Kodi stuff. I remember reprogramming DirecTV cards back 10-15 years ago to unlock everything, but DirecTV kept pushing updates to the system that required someone to figure it out and crack it. It was a PITA to keep up with and I suspect it will get that way for these streaming devices at some point too.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #61
Staff
Regular
Staff

Kodi you have to keep constantly updated. TBTH, its more trouble than its worth, at least IMO. Especially when I have SET... With SET I'm not having to constantly update my add ons and deal with feeds dropping or crap quality or **** not working. Yeah I pay $20 for it. That just means I'm bagging lunch 1 or 2 days vs getting it out. Oh no.

And don't wait too long on the recertified Fire TVs, there is only a limited stock of them and Amazon is going to want to push the new Dongle device. You can still get ethernet with the Dongle and the Stick, you just need to buy a $15 adapter which drives the price of the Dongle up to the 2nd Gen TV.

DTVN and Sling do both work great with Roku but not sure if DTVN would work on the 2. But if you are on Vue and are definitely staying with them then yeah get a Fire TV.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

They already cracked down on the Kodi thing in some place in Europe but all they team of people do is host at a different domain and reroute to an IP from a different country that makes it legal. Kodi is a grey area not a hack it's been around for ever. It primary use was for Linux community and media server.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I only had some add on not updated some times but you can't complain for free stuff. I updated mine and have had no problems.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #64
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Kodi you have to keep constantly updated. TBTH, its more trouble than its worth, at least IMO. Especially when I have SET... With SET I'm not having to constantly update my add ons and deal with feeds dropping or crap quality or **** not working. Yeah I pay $20 for it. That just means I'm bagging lunch 1 or 2 days vs getting it out. Oh no.

And don't wait too long on the recertified Fire TVs, there is only a limited stock of them and Amazon is going to want to push the new Dongle device. You can still get ethernet with the Dongle and the Stick, you just need to buy a $15 adapter which drives the price of the Dongle up to the 2nd Gen TV.

DTVN and Sling do both work great with Roku but not sure if DTVN would work on the 2. But if you are on Vue and are definitely staying with them then yeah get a Fire TV.

Really appreciate the info! I’ll stick with PSV for now, but I’ll be trying to Set, Sling, and DTVN at some point as well. I feel like they all need to get a turn in to really get an idea of what works best for us.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well just remember, SET is a "bootleg" service that will probably not be around forever. Sling does work great but is the lowest quality picture quality of them all. But for the value you simply cannot beat Sling Blue plus the 4 pack add on for $35 total. That is 3 streams and basically all their channels minus the premiums.

DTVN gives you the most channels for your money but only 2 streams and no DVR yet. We have not run into any issues with the 2 streams tho, only me and my wife and 1 kid and we almost never have more than 1 stream going anyway. Kid is primarily youtube/Netflix and wife is Hulu. Even if you do bang off the stream limit you can use the app logins as a workaround.

If you still have your Roku 2 you can try out DTVN, they have an app now.

Also take a look at FUBO, that is the new service (100% legit). Catering more towards the sports crowd, I gave it a shot and it worked well but its not a ton of channels. Cheap tho.

Honestly I've been using SET a ton... DTVN was having all sorts of issues over this weekend for me but has been stable now and watching the World Series on DTVN right now without any issues so far. But this weekend it was a LOT of SETTV lol.

If you have any issues getting SET running, let me know. Since you have to sideload it to a Fire TV with the Fire TV downloader app. The video I posted should be enough though, its step by step.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

Reviews for the new Fire TV dongle should start showing up tonight and tomorrow. Very interested to see. I might pick one of those up as well if it turns out its as good as the 2nd gen for just TV watching. Mainly since my daughter could use the 2nd gen Fire box for gaming since it has a WAY better GPU setup than the new Fire TV dongle does. And she keeps asking for the Fire because she just likes the way it works better than her Roku.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the GPU on that fire TV is real good. I have an Asus Nexus box I want to mess with eventually.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

*The 2nd gen Fire TV has a good GPU in case that was not clear. The new Fire dongle has a "just good enough for 4K" GPU that is very bad for gaming. Processor is on par, RAM is on par. Again, waiting to see what the reviews say whether I want this or to wait for the Cube.

The $40 Fire Stick actually has a very good picture on a 1080p TV and the newer firmware updates have really fixed a lot of issues with it. It works faster than it used to and doesn't screw up as much.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #69
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
*The 2nd gen Fire TV has a good GPU in case that was not clear. The new Fire dongle has a "just good enough for 4K" GPU that is very bad for gaming. Processor is on par, RAM is on par. Again, waiting to see what the reviews say whether I want this or to wait for the Cube.

The $40 Fire Stick actually has a very good picture on a 1080p TV and the newer firmware updates have really fixed a lot of issues with it. It works faster than it used to and doesn't screw up as much.

I wonder if the ethernet dongle accessory would bring the stick up to par?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #70
Staff
Regular
Staff

Doubt it. The stick only has 1GB of RAM, that is barely adequate but they have tweaked the firmware to deal with it it seems.

I have a Fire stick in the bedroom (giggity!), and on a good Magnavox 1080p/120hz television it looks great. Just not a snappy to react to inputs as the Fire TV and that has nothing to do with the connection, its how fast the device reacts to commands from the remote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar