Cutting the cord - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #106
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Bought a Chromecast Ultra today. It’s not what I thought it was. I feel silly for not know, or at least have an idea of what it was like lol. I thought it was jut another media box, like a Roku. I switched to YouTube TV as my live TV service, with typical Netflix and Hulu accounts. The Hulu TV has too many probs for now. Anyway, I didn’t realize the Chromecast uses the apps on your phone of tablet and does not have apps on it. I don’t really care for this as it’s a PIA to have to do this for every little thing you watch. I’m gonna use it for the next couple days and decide if I’m going to keep it. Sure hope they get the YouTube TV app up and running on the Roku here soon. I’ve heard there are plans within the first 1/4 of 2018. We will see. YouTube TV has all our local stations in live form and has been very reliable so far.
If you want an AMAZING experience try Youtube TV with a Google Home. "Ok google, change to CBS". Boom. Its crazy. And as far as the CC... give it some time. Its the best 4K streaming device available right now and your smartphone is the best remote control you could possibly have. And it kinda has its "own" apps on it... you control it with your phone but once you tell it what to do the CC takes over and its not like... streaming right off your phone. They are awesome to have for a lot of stuff. The ultra is a bit pricey but the regular one is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0nativepower View Post
I am getting a rasberry pi and programming that with kodi then adding add ons.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Be careful with Kodi, European courts already ruled streaming is illegal and ppl are getting notices in some countries. Only a matter of time before the US does the same. If you don't have a VPN already, get one. And remember only some VPNs are masked well enough to use Netflix/Hulu/Prime. If you don't use any of those just get PIA (private internet access). If you do use that stuff... Nord or Express.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #107
Staff
Regular
Staff

TBTH, I'm waiting for the Fire Cube to release. It'll be probably middle of this year or fall. I am a big Roku fan but living over here in Europe... being able to sideload Android stuff to watch all the American TV I want is kind of invaluable. I'll see how much I use it. Once I get my router out here I'll be able to set it up with my VPN at the router and I'll see then. I do have a fire stick which works well enough with SET and Mobdro so we'll see.

Oh, that's another one... Mobdro is GREAT and they just really spiffed up their app to work well on Fire. I've been watching a TON of stuff on that if I have issues with the European network letting me onto my locals with DTVN or whatever. Sideload it onto Fire just like anything else.

https://www.mobdro.to/
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #108
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I think I will give the CC some more time. I’m really not used to casting apps to the TV. I never use Apple’s airplay, though it is actually using the device as the source. I downloaded google home and will see if I can get the voice thingy to work. It is pretty snappy and even looks great with old shows. Since I’ve got the Ultra, I’ve got ethernet connected to it. Not sure it really needs it though.

IG: @ ab_mach1
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #109
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also if you guys like Kodi... get ready to delete Kodi after using Terrarium. The ad free version is modified so you can get it without paying. APKTime also is helpful for loading Youtube onto Fire devices and the mouse pointer app is handy too. Terrarium is like... if Kodi actually worked without having to do anything. Takes a minute to install Terrarium and interface is easy and just... works.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #110
Lorraine's driver

Regular

http://5 Cable-Cutting Problems You ...T1O743gVyxfMFg

Interesting. Pretty much everything I experienced. So far, still have YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu (not live TV), and Amazon Prime Video. That’s making us happy so far. I’ve been able to watch college basketball regularly, so we’ll see if that continues when football season starts back up. So far, our biggest worry is eclipsing the 1024GB monthly limit. It’ll be interesting if we can stay within that limit when school is out this summer.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #111
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh... if you have a data cap it could be an issue. Or getting locals... but a lot of ppl don't even think about going "old school" (about to be new school again) and using an antenna.

In other news, going to be giving Android TV a shot via the Mi Box. Going to take a few weeks to get to me here but I won't have my downstairs man cave set up till then anyway.

Why the Mi Box? Because I'm sick of getting spammed by Fire advertising and I want a device like the old Gen2 Fire TV. I also want a Chromecast and this device doubles as a Chromecast since it has Google Cast built in. I like my Roku Streaming Stick+ which is going to probably wind up in the bedroom but the other Rokus are getting a little old and need to be replaced and I'd rather have devices that I can put any app I want on vs the proprietary Roku.

So basically, the MiBox is a Fire TV with better 4K and a better remote plus a Chromecast and you lose the sd card slot and Ethernet port. Those losses are a non issue for me since the thing will be literally right next to my router which speedtests around 200mpbs down on wifi. There is also always the usb/Ethernet hubs for $15 just like you'd have to buy for the new Fire stuff.

Anyway, will report on how it does when it gets here. I'm not expecting the best streamer out there but all reports are its snappy and quick and plays Netflix/Prime/Vudu 4K perfectly but if I'm looking for full uncompressed Blu Ray quality I'll want a Shield.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #112
Staff
Regular
Staff

DTVN just started a promo where you prepay a month and get one of the new fire TV dongles if anyone is looking to get a device. It's half off the device whether you keep the service or not. Good way to test drive streaming. I got it on a spoof email and gave my sister the login credentials for a free month of tv. And I just ordered that MiBox too lol. Oh well I need Android based devices out here for Terrarium and a few other sideload programs.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 02-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
We use Sling TV and have several Chromecast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
StangLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Yeah i thinking of buying a rasberry pi to run everything until i get my server programmed for home automation.

4.0nativepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #115
Staff
Regular
Staff

TBTH that is where I am now as well because of power consumption. Bigass external hard drive run by a Pi for my PLEX server and roll.

As far as cord cutting. Cutting when we did was the best thing we ever did entertainment and media wise. We got onto the DTVN Go Big promo and even here overseas we still get everything we got in the states its crazy.

And DTVN is getting better and better. DVR and 3rd stream is coming in a few months, they have the most channels, contracts with basically ALL the services (example you dont' get discovery on Sling and you don't get Viacom or History/AE on Vue but you get all of it on DTVN). $35 Go Big promo keyed to my paypal account keyed to my bank so I never have to worry about a payment errror canceling it and I'm good. The other good thing about DTVN is its owned by one of the richest/biggest companies in the world in ATT and they are determined for it to succeed. They've got way more capital to spend on it than Sony or Dish does. Hulu is a joint venture between broadcasting companies... I'd only see Youtube with the amount of $$$ Google has behind it to be any competition in a few years. Verizon and Crapcast are trying to get into it but Crapcast is a ****ing joke when it comes to doing anything properly and Verizon is too damn cheap to make a legit effort. See their halted FiOS rollout as an example.

As far as devices... Fire Dongle and MiBox for me should be getting here either tomorrow or next week. If I like Android TV well enough I'll probably get a Shield and use it to run all the emulators up to PS3. Skies of Arcadia Legends for GC or Shenmue 1 and 2 for DC on the Shield=Yes please.

Anyone reading this who is still paying for regular cable... I dunno unless you are getting a SCREAMING good bundle deal or you are in an area where you HAVE to have satellite for TV you are doing it wrong.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

I agree its just cheaper to do everything online vs cable or satellite when all said and done.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #117
Staff
Regular
Staff

Everyone already has internet so that is a wash. Netflix/Hulu are optional but nice. Prime I don't consider a cost because of all the free shipping that pays for itself. PBS Passport is probably the most underrated of them all and only $5/mo and well worth it. There are other niche services like Crunchroll, The Great Courses, Smithsonian etc...

Then you have your streaming service. There are SO many now and its SO cheap if you just want basic stuff, if you just want sports stuff, if you DON'T want to have to pay for ESPN etc... DTVN Live a Little is great and its $35/mo plus free devices. Sling Blue with the $10 add on 4 pack was the best value before Philio came out. $16 a month for what it offers means a lot of ppl tack it onto their other streaming service and roll. Youtube TV is going to be great in about 6 months as they keep adding more channels and the chromecast integration is perfection.

And the "it sounds complicated" excuse holds 0 water either. Start off with a $29 firestick and it literally sets itself up for you.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #118
Staff
Regular
Staff

Got this guy in today. Need to hurry up and get the man cave/gaming room set up and get a 4k tv. The landlord left a real nice entertainment center but problem is the max size tv that will fit in it is a 43"... But that means they are cheap at least. Real nice LG 4K with HDR is like $299. Have to see if if all fits lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1520000361238.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	254138  

Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #119
Staff
Regular
Staff

Going to trial Youtube TV here starting tomorrow. Price increases from $35/mo to $40/mo starting on the 13th but if you subscribe now you keep the lower price. I pay $35/mo now for DTVN Go Big but so many ppl are raving about YTTV I'm going to give it a try. 6 separate profiles, everyone gets their own unlimited DVR and their own favorites and apparently its rock solid stable. Channel lineup is getting a lot better, they have most of what we watch. No Discoverys but that has been less of a thing we watch lately. And they'll eventually get it all.

But... going to have to be ridiculously good to make me give up the DTVN Go Big Promo.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #120
Staff
Regular
Staff

YTTV trial went so well I let it charge my card for a month to keep testing it. The multiple accounts that each get their own unlimited DVR is fantastic. I get all the NYC locals since I had my VPN set to NYC when I initially signed up and that's what it goes off. I have not been able to get locals back with DTVN so that's a big thing... but... DTVN is the same price, has triple the channels and HBO too. Functionality wise... on the Roku DTVN sucks, on Fire (at least a legit Fire TV box) DTVN is great. On my new Roku Streaming Stick 4K YTTV works great, on the older 3600 sticks the quality is not as good but it still works well. YTTV does not and probably will not have a Fire app.

Firestick... meh... sucks. New Fire DONGLE... sucks... surprisingly... MiBox... GREAT. And I just ran across a 1st Generation Fire TV box on FB yard sale for $20 and grabbed that up as fast as I could get there. Best Fire device ever made and its not even close. Got about a half hour with it before work and wow... faster than the 2nd gen box, way way way way faster than the sticks or dongle. DTVN freaking flies, loaded up DroidAdmin and used it to install Terrarium, FreeFlix, Adguard, a bunch of other stuff, APKTime for getting YouTube on Fire and Real Debrid to get way faster streams on Terrarium and Kodi with full Dolby Digital. Throw in Mobdro and tbth you kinda don't even need to pay for TV...

Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #121
Staff
Regular
Staff

After a week or so with new devices. Fire TV, great as usual. Problem... no YoutubeTV app and likely won't get one. Have regular Youtube sideloaded and it works fine. Terrarium, Morpheus and all the other sideloaded apps work great. Gonna see what YoutubeTV looks like on the optimized YTTV website on the Silk browser.

Android MiBox is really REALLY good. Super fast, built in Chromecast is great. Can sideload anything. If it has the apps you need, I'd get it over anything else right now short of needing a high power 4K machine and then I'd get a Shield or an Apple TV4K if you are balls deep in the Apple Ecosystem. Only negative to the MiBox is it doesn't have a legit DirecTVNow app (can use via built in chromecast tho) or an Amazon Video app yet. Shield does, some actual Android Tvs do, just needs to be ported over to all Android TV and we are good.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
It's only a matter of time that the cable companies jack up pricing on their Internet. I am fine with inflation, but it is generally 4 to 5 times higher.

And there is never a middle tier that makes sense. I live alone, so I do not need 50Mbps and 25 Mbps is plenty. The next tier below is usually 15Mbps or lower. Give me a break.

In fact, it is already happening. The pot's temperature is slowly increasing every year.

And the classic, "Thank you for being a loyal customer!" Really? What options do I have?
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #123
Staff
Regular
Staff

Options are very limited in the USA, only going to get worse with Net Neutrality. Prepare thy anus unless there is comprehensive reform passed that re-installs net neutrality laws and breaks up these monopolies that the ISPs have. They are not "technically" monopolies because you have other options for internet (dial up, LTE, DSL)... but yeah... they are.

Get a proxy and/or a VPN now if you don't have one. I roll with SmartDNS for my proxy and Express for a VPN but PIA or Nord will work well too. I have to have that sort of setup to get ALL my USA programming over here but even if I was still in the states I'd be doing this now. Going anonymous is about to be more important than ever.

ok .../rant... but still.

Good thing I live in Europe where there are literally 4 or 5 high speed fiber options near me and because there is actual competition (yay Capitalism!), the prices are low. I pay appx $75USD a month for 300mbps fiber. **** hauls ***.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 PM   #124
Lorraine's driver

Regular

We are gonna feel the tip of Comcast here soon (or maybe the base lol). I’ve been home the past 5.5 weeks rehabbing after a hip replacement and am about to run out of our bandwidth allotment this month. Fortunately, this should be my last week off barring any issues the doc sees in the X-ray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1166.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	254986

I’m gonna ask if the 75 or 100 plan has a higher cap, but I’m betting it doesn’t. We already pay $81 with taxes and $10/mo rental fee. They add at least $20/mo to the cost if you don’t subscribe to their cable service.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

I just got the 300mb plan i checked my speeds and n band is getting 50 download and ac band is getting 300 mb

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 03:45 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Dang... I'm down in the 1.2-1.3 mbps. Perks of living in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:47 AM   #127
Staff
Regular
Staff

Screw data caps. I mean wtf seriously.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

I live in reno nv and google is being built out here next to tesla and apple and switch. Charter says as soon as google is up and running charter is all ready for 1000mb plans.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #129
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Screw data caps. I mean wtf seriously.

Yeah, it’s BS. Especially for the fact that only Comcast has them around here (as far as I know).

Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #130
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0nativepower View Post
I live in reno nv and google is being built out here next to tesla and apple and switch. Charter says as soon as google is up and running charter is all ready for 1000mb plans.

Oh, nice...near the Bunny Ranch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Yeah, it’s BS. Especially for the fact that only Comcast has them around here (as far as I know).

Its a state based thing... you can google which states have laws that allow caps and which don't. It'll probably all be a thing soon tho. I dunno, all depends how the USA stuff goes. I don't know of any caps in Europe. Again, competition. Like in the cell phone industry how "2GB is plenty of data" and then you have Sprint and T-Mo offering full unlimited and eventually ATT/Verizon broke and offered it again. Why it was so good the Feds blocked the attempted T-Mo/ATT merger 7 years ago.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar