Cutting the cord - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #106
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Bought a Chromecast Ultra today. It’s not what I thought it was. I feel silly for not know, or at least have an idea of what it was like lol. I thought it was jut another media box, like a Roku. I switched to YouTube TV as my live TV service, with typical Netflix and Hulu accounts. The Hulu TV has too many probs for now. Anyway, I didn’t realize the Chromecast uses the apps on your phone of tablet and does not have apps on it. I don’t really care for this as it’s a PIA to have to do this for every little thing you watch. I’m gonna use it for the next couple days and decide if I’m going to keep it. Sure hope they get the YouTube TV app up and running on the Roku here soon. I’ve heard there are plans within the first 1/4 of 2018. We will see. YouTube TV has all our local stations in live form and has been very reliable so far.
If you want an AMAZING experience try Youtube TV with a Google Home. "Ok google, change to CBS". Boom. Its crazy. And as far as the CC... give it some time. Its the best 4K streaming device available right now and your smartphone is the best remote control you could possibly have. And it kinda has its "own" apps on it... you control it with your phone but once you tell it what to do the CC takes over and its not like... streaming right off your phone. They are awesome to have for a lot of stuff. The ultra is a bit pricey but the regular one is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0nativepower View Post
I am getting a rasberry pi and programming that with kodi then adding add ons.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Be careful with Kodi, European courts already ruled streaming is illegal and ppl are getting notices in some countries. Only a matter of time before the US does the same. If you don't have a VPN already, get one. And remember only some VPNs are masked well enough to use Netflix/Hulu/Prime. If you don't use any of those just get PIA (private internet access). If you do use that stuff... Nord or Express.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #107
Staff
Regular
Staff

TBTH, I'm waiting for the Fire Cube to release. It'll be probably middle of this year or fall. I am a big Roku fan but living over here in Europe... being able to sideload Android stuff to watch all the American TV I want is kind of invaluable. I'll see how much I use it. Once I get my router out here I'll be able to set it up with my VPN at the router and I'll see then. I do have a fire stick which works well enough with SET and Mobdro so we'll see.

Oh, that's another one... Mobdro is GREAT and they just really spiffed up their app to work well on Fire. I've been watching a TON of stuff on that if I have issues with the European network letting me onto my locals with DTVN or whatever. Sideload it onto Fire just like anything else.

https://www.mobdro.to/
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #108
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I think I will give the CC some more time. I’m really not used to casting apps to the TV. I never use Apple’s airplay, though it is actually using the device as the source. I downloaded google home and will see if I can get the voice thingy to work. It is pretty snappy and even looks great with old shows. Since I’ve got the Ultra, I’ve got ethernet connected to it. Not sure it really needs it though.

IG: @ ab_mach1
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #109
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also if you guys like Kodi... get ready to delete Kodi after using Terrarium. The ad free version is modified so you can get it without paying. APKTime also is helpful for loading Youtube onto Fire devices and the mouse pointer app is handy too. Terrarium is like... if Kodi actually worked without having to do anything. Takes a minute to install Terrarium and interface is easy and just... works.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #110
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
http://5 Cable-Cutting Problems You ...T1O743gVyxfMFg

Interesting. Pretty much everything I experienced. So far, still have YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu (not live TV), and Amazon Prime Video. That’s making us happy so far. I’ve been able to watch college basketball regularly, so we’ll see if that continues when football season starts back up. So far, our biggest worry is eclipsing the 1024GB monthly limit. It’ll be interesting if we can stay within that limit when school is out this summer.

IG: @ ab_mach1
Old 02-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #111
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh... if you have a data cap it could be an issue. Or getting locals... but a lot of ppl don't even think about going "old school" (about to be new school again) and using an antenna.

In other news, going to be giving Android TV a shot via the Mi Box. Going to take a few weeks to get to me here but I won't have my downstairs man cave set up till then anyway.

Why the Mi Box? Because I'm sick of getting spammed by Fire advertising and I want a device like the old Gen2 Fire TV. I also want a Chromecast and this device doubles as a Chromecast since it has Google Cast built in. I like my Roku Streaming Stick+ which is going to probably wind up in the bedroom but the other Rokus are getting a little old and need to be replaced and I'd rather have devices that I can put any app I want on vs the proprietary Roku.

So basically, the MiBox is a Fire TV with better 4K and a better remote plus a Chromecast and you lose the sd card slot and Ethernet port. Those losses are a non issue for me since the thing will be literally right next to my router which speedtests around 200mpbs down on wifi. There is also always the usb/Ethernet hubs for $15 just like you'd have to buy for the new Fire stuff.

Anyway, will report on how it does when it gets here. I'm not expecting the best streamer out there but all reports are its snappy and quick and plays Netflix/Prime/Vudu 4K perfectly but if I'm looking for full uncompressed Blu Ray quality I'll want a Shield.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar