Cutting the cord - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Cutting the cord

Recently, we decide to “cut the cord” to our DirecTV subscription. There are a few reasons we wanted to do this, but the primary reason was the recent loss of NBC for several weeks (and I understand it’s still not available). This has happened with CBS a few times over the 20+ years we’ve had DirecTV. Anyway, once we cancelled we picked up a simple over-air DTV antenna. This was just under $35. This got us pretty much all the basic networks. Now for the reason I’m making this thread...

We already had Netflix and Hulu, but I was interesting in trying one of the newer offerings out there. There was Sling TV, but we decided to try Hulu with live TV (and limited commercials) for $39.99. This is basically Hulu Plus with live TV. So far, this has been working pretty good. Their menu setup doesn’t really lend itself to live TV and being able to list what’s on. They list their live TV plans as “beta” and I assume this is to develop the menu system. When you add shows that you “my stuff”, new shows will essentially record on a DVR type system. You have 2GB of storage for this. Past seasons/episodes are treated the same way as Hulu has always managed them. We are going to go with this package for a while and see what happens. I’m still interested in Sling TV, so I may try that out down the road too.

Anybody else cut the cord? Anybody use Sling TV or any other alternative provider? Anybody using the new TiVo machines? I understand they do not have subscriptions anymore. You just buy the TiVo receiver and use your over-air antenna and go for it. They are pretty expensive units though lol.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just did this a few months back. When Time Warner sold out to Spectrum, my combined internet/cable bill from @$190 a month to over @$240 a month. Bought an HD antenna for local channels and a fire stick, which I jail broke so we could get movies free. We also have Netflix, amazon prime and sling (orange/blue package) which runs @&25 a month. We tried Hulu but didn't like it because it was not "live tv". Sling is OK, but my major issue is no one offers TLC channel streaming. My wife LOVES TLC. That was one of the stipulations for cutting the cord was that she could still watch her duggar family stuff, say yes to the dress, etc. To make a long story short, we now have 4 different remotes for the various devices we need to watch different channels, it's a PAI. Been trying to adjust but it's just not working out. So, I ditched Spectrum and went with AT&T internet and their U-Verse package for $100 a month for 2 years. 360 channels PLUS TLC and a damn DVR (she record everything) so peace (piece) will be restored in the home.....I was paying $70 for internet and $25 for sling, so it's not that much more to get regular TV back and still saving a ton over what spectrum was charging. This package also allows us to connect up to 3 additional TV's for free. Could not turn it down.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Just did this a few months back. When Time Warner sold out to Spectrum, my combined internet/cable bill from @$190 a month to over @$240 a month. Bought an HD antenna for local channels and a fire stick, which I jail broke so we could get movies free. We also have Netflix, amazon prime and sling (orange/blue package) which runs @&25 a month. We tried Hulu but didn't like it because it was not "live tv". Sling is OK, but my major issue is no one offers TLC channel streaming. My wife LOVES TLC. That was one of the stipulations for cutting the cord was that she could still watch her duggar family stuff, say yes to the dress, etc. To make a long story short, we now have 4 different remotes for the various devices we need to watch different channels, it's a PAI. Been trying to adjust but it's just not working out. So, I ditched Spectrum and went with AT&T internet and their U-Verse package for $100 a month for 2 years. 360 channels PLUS TLC and a damn DVR (she record everything) so peace (piece) will be restored in the home.....I was paying $70 for internet and $25 for sling, so it's not that much more to get regular TV back and still saving a ton over what spectrum was charging. This package also allows us to connect up to 3 additional TV's for free. Could not turn it down.
What's kinda comical about AT&T buying DirecTV is that they get roped into the contract issue DirecTV has with NBC. My mother in law has Uverse and she can't get her NBC shows that are starting up this week or next, until they get that resolved. I'm kinda lucky, my wife can leave it when it comes to TV, so we didn't need a bunch of those cable-type channels. One thing I will miss is Velocity and all the car shows that I used to watch. I haven't checked to see if you can watch them on their website or their app yet, but I will this weekend. My main decision was based on loosing channels for piddly contract disputes rather than cost. It just pisses me off when you see their website saying "we care about you" BS and all they need to do is just sign the contract and pay NBC lol. i'd rather my cost go up and not miss any of my shows and football. I missed the damn opening NFL game and I've never not been able to watch a FREE televised game. It took my most of the first half to find an alternative that didn't require buying some type of service on the spot or figuring out how to jailbreak my Firestick.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What questions do you have? I've tried them all. Hulu live sucks, ditch it. Same with Youtube.

The "big 3" are PS Vue, Sling and DirecTV Now (not the same service as DTV satellite). I did a huge writeup on this on this actual forum a while ago. Here is the short version.

-PS Vue
--Pros:
---5 streams
---Extremely stable
---Great interface/guide on Fire or Apple
---Top package often on sale for $65/mo and includes HBO and Showtime
---Have had all 4 major locals in most markets for a long time

--Cons:
---No Viacom if you need Nick/Comedy/MTV etc...
---No History/AE
---No watching when you are not on your home network
---Really crappy interface if you are using Roku

-Sling
--Pros:
---Great interface
---Very stable
---Best value for the price
---Choose the add on packages you want
---Able to keep price low by not choosing the Disney/ESPN networks

--Cons:
---No Discovery Networks (dealbreaker for my wife)
---Only 1 stream for ESPN if you are big into sports
---No CBS, and ABC is extra

-DirecTV Now
--Pros:
---EASILY the best channel lineup
---Identical interface on Roku as Fire and Apple
---Has all 4 locals in all the big markets
---Tack on HBO for $5/mo
---You get $25 off if you have ATT wireless

--Cons
---Only 2 streams total (can get around this with app logins)
---No option for NFL Network if you care about that (we don't)
---Newest and least robust of all of them but its getting there

I am in a somewhat special situation because I got in on the DirecTV Now promo "Go Big" package price for $35/mo instead of the $60 it is now.

I also have an antenna for locals even though in the Philly metro we get all our locals through DTVN as well. Antenna will always have the best picture and no issues with buffering ever. Great for football games and I always switch over to OTA for sporting events that are on broadcast TV vs using streaming. Also a good backup in case interwebs goes out.

For you... it really depends on what you want. All have free trials, I'd try all 3 and see what you like. Even if we didn't have the Go Big promo price I'd probably still be on DTVN at $60/mo because it has the most channels and with HBO is still the same price as Vue and cheaper than Sling with a comparable lineup.

Short short version:

If 2 streams is not an issue for you, get DirecTV Now. Has the most channels and cheapest premiums. You can also switch your wireless carrier to ATT if you can get comparable rates to VZW/Tmo/Sprint and save $25/mo on your bill.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

To add onto that, we also have Netflix, Hulu, Prime and a little known one you really should look into is PBS Passport. Passport is $5/mo and you get access to ALL the PBS programs, some are really REALLY good. I do not consider Prime a TV cost since we've had it forever for free shipping.

DTVN is $35/mo, Hulu/Netflix is another $20 and PBS is $5. Plus $75 for internet. So we used to pay about this much for a FiOS bundle for the first 12 month rate. I would not say we are saving any MONEY over what we did when we were on traditional service HOWEVER... the amount of **** we have available to watch anytime we want is 1000x what it was on that FiOS package and anything I can think of out right now. This isn't even counting all the Torrents I have on my own private server and the Kodi libraries out there but that's all... well yeah.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Thanks for that info!

I might try Sling first, since I’m already paying for CBS All access. I’m a Star Trek nerd and aside from watching it live, All Access is the only way to watch the new Star Trek Discovery series.

Ultimately, I need to buy an outdoor OA DTV antenna so we can get everything without moving the antenna. We are pretty close now, so maybe one of those $100 ones will do the trick. I used to have a desktop PC setup to record TV with a TV tuner card, but that was before DTV. I only have laptops in the house now, so I’d have to buy or build something for that. We are so used to using a DVR lol.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Forgot to mention DVR. You can DVR Star Trek Discovery (or just torrent it lol). PS Vue has the best DVR right now easily. Free and works really well. Sling has one too but you have to pay extra for it I believe, and no CBS. DTVN's DVR is in beta and should be out shortly.

There are also multiple options for recording OTA like a Tablo etc...

Old 09-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Forgot to mention DVR. You can DVR Star Trek Discovery (or just torrent it lol). PS Vue has the best DVR right now easily. Free and works really well. Sling has one too but you have to pay extra for it I believe, and no CBS. DTVN's DVR is in beta and should be out shortly.

There are also multiple options for recording OTA like a Tablo etc...

Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I decided to stay with DirecTV recently when they authorized me for a free Genie 2 upgrade — the newest DVR they have. It is a tower about a foot tall, with enough recording capability to record 400 hours of HD TV (4 terabytes?), and you can record 7 programs at once.
I have a Denon 4K receiver that I run the DTV signal through, and a Sony XBRD 65 inch TV. All with the newest HDMI cable available Both the TV and the Denon have a chip in them to upgrade/reprocess the signal, and now I am watching EVERYTHING in 4K. The picture quality is incredible, and I am happy to pay the amount we are to DTV for this kind of recording capacity and unREAL picture quality.
Guard 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I decided to stay with DirecTV recently when they authorized me for a free Genie 2 upgrade — the newest DVR they have. It is a tower about a foot tall, with enough recording capability to record 400 hours of HD TV (4 terabytes?), and you can record 7 programs at once.
I have a Denon 4K receiver that I run the DTV signal through, and a Sony XBRD 65 inch TV. All with the newest HDMI cable available Both the TV and the Denon have a chip in them to upgrade/reprocess the signal, and now I am watching EVERYTHING in 4K. The picture quality is incredible, and I am happy to pay the amount we are to DTV for this kind of recording capacity and unREAL picture quality.
I was surprised that DirecTV didn't try hard at all to offer any deals when we were canceling. We've had NFL Sunday Ticket before, so we weren't going to bite on that, but they didn't offer it up. They only asked if we were interested in any deals, rather than offer something up. If we had a 4k TV, we might have considered that deal.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The NFL can kiss off. I have other ways off putting it, but that is the only way displayed.

I'm losing nothing over the NFL.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The NFL can kiss off. I have other ways off putting it, but that is the only way displayed.

I'm losing nothing over the NFL.
I know how you feel. I certainly would NOT pay (Sunday Ticket) to see all of the games......I am still on the fence about the Seahawks and their staying in the locker room during pregame and the Anthem. That, and they are playing like crap this season, so it’s easy to take a couple weeks break!
They did make a statement this week about taking their activism into the community and trying to improve the lives in Seattle, instead of doing it on the field, so we’ll have to see what they meant by that.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
I was surprised that DirecTV didn't try hard at all to offer any deals when we were canceling. We've had NFL Sunday Ticket before, so we weren't going to bite on that, but they didn't offer it up. They only asked if we were interested in any deals, rather than offer something up. If we had a 4k TV, we might have considered that deal.
It took me a good long time to upgrade everything to be 4K capable, but we watch a LOT of TV (retired), and the colors, detail and picture quality of this set up still just blows me away at times.
The depth and detail on the HD channels (yes, NFL channel included) is almost hard to believe at times. Almost seems like the detail and colors are better than being there.
Worth the thousands of dollars to do so? That would have to be up to you....for me, I am in heaven, and at times, I pause the picture just to drink in the quality of the screen.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, when I cancelled DTV the guy asked what price they needed to match to make me stay. This is when I was going to Vue before DTVN was out. I said $65/mo with HBO and Showtime included and 5 HD receivers with a DVR. The guy thought I was joking. Remember this was over a year ago before the streaming services really blew up.

Now I get even more channels and still have HBO for $35/mo lol. I do only have 2 streams and no DVR yet but cloud DVR will release in a few months for DTVN and we never bounce off the stream limit. Its just me and my wife, my daughter is almost always on Youtube or Hulu/Netflix. For bigger families, it could be a problem but as I mentioned before, app logins do not count towards the stream limit so you could have 2 ppl on DTVN, 1 person on WatchESPN, 1 person on HBOGo and it'd be totally legit.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh, also completely forgot about Fubo TV. Giving that a free trial right now because the Giants aren't on today in the Philly area and I don't get Redzone through DTVN so why not? Can get Redzone via a $9/mo add on pack. Picture quality is good so far, the price is right and lots of add ons.

I'll probably cancel before they bill my card tho. Not NEARLY as much stuff as I get on DTVN for the same price although the stream quality has been flawless so far.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh, one last thing... if you aren't too worried about the "grey legal area" of streaming you can look into SETTV. They are $20/mo, 3 streams and EVERY CHANNEL. Yes EVERY channel including all premiums, sunday ticket, PPV etc...

I actually use these guys on a Fire Stick for the Sunday Ticket/NHL Center Ice but might make them my primary TV service when I move overseas since they are not geo-locked.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

When you mentioned PS Vue, I assumed you need a PlayStation. Is that not true? I saw a commercial for it today and they never mentioned the set top box.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
When you mentioned PS Vue, I assumed you need a PlayStation. Is that not true? I saw a commercial for it today and they never mentioned the set top box.
That is one of the biggest adverstising ****ups I've seen recently naming it "PlayStation Vue". Should be just "Vue" or "Sony Vue".

No you don't need a PS to use it. Shows in the commercial it works on Apple TV4, Chromecast, Fire and Roku lol. But Vue sucks on Roku.

Recommend you get the new Fire TV coming out 25 October if you are going to get Vue.

I actually watched Fubo and SET all day yesterday. If you like the Fubo lineup and don't care about ESPN it seems like a solid service.

SET was great to get all the football games although its technically a "pirate" service I suppose.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #19

Region: Texas
My wife I did this a few months back when we bought our new house. Our son loves Mickey (Roadster Racers & Clubhouse) and the only way to get the Disney Junior channel with out cable is through Sling with the Orange package. We have Netflicks, and DTV Antenna, and Sling (blue/orange). Sling gets hung up a little, but I think it's the ATT internet connection.
JMStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you have ATT internet look at DirecTV Now, you get $25 off your bill if you have an ATT bundle.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That is one of the biggest adverstising ****ups I've seen recently naming it "PlayStation Vue". Should be just "Vue" or "Sony Vue".

No you don't need a PS to use it. Shows in the commercial it works on Apple TV4, Chromecast, Fire and Roku lol. But Vue sucks on Roku.

Recommend you get the new Fire TV coming out 25 October if you are going to get Vue.

I actually watched Fubo and SET all day yesterday. If you like the Fubo lineup and don't care about ESPN it seems like a solid service.

SET was great to get all the football games although its technically a "pirate" service I suppose.
Awesome! Yeah, I'll check out the new Fire TV later this month. Thanks! The Fire stick I have seems to get hung up often. I've been reading some reviews that Fire TV box is much better in that respect.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just fyi the new fire TV is the mid range offering. Slight upgrade to the current fire TV. The Fire Cube coming out soon is the top dog.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #23

Region: Texas
Thank Scott, I'll take a look at it. Though if it doesn't have Disney Junior it's a no go. Have to keep the little guy happy with his Mickey.
JMStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

DTVN has it, and Disney Junior has its own app so your kid could watch on the actual channel app and not be using a stream. Same with NickJr. These are available on Roku. Not sure about Fire but I can check. Have not worried about Nick or Disney logins for a long time and my daughter has a Roku stick anyway.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Have any of you figured out how to deal with the apps that require a “service provider” before the app will work? I tried putting in Xfinity as a service provider, but that didn’t work. It knew I was not a TV subscriber through Xfinity.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

That would be Comcast. Xfinity is not a provider AFIAK. Its what Comcast calls their package.

You fire up the app, choose your provider, get on a computer or smartphone and then punch in the code and log in.

Example:

I have DirecTV Now so this is what I would do for Watch ESPN.

-Open app
-Choose login/activate
-It gives me a code on the screen and a website to go to
-Go to the website (es.pn/fire for a fire device)
-Punch in code and scroll to provider
-Redirect to provider website to login with credentials
-You will see the app start to work about 5-10 seconds later after it says successful.

Apps like HBO Go, Nick, Disney, FSGo etc... will be similar.

My Fire Stick has actually been pretty ok. Its not near as snappy as the Fire TV I had was but once the streaming starts its fine. Kinda mad I traded my Fire TV box away but it is what it is. I'm going to pick up the new Fire TV dongle later this month and probably get a Cube too when it releases.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Just started a trial with PlayStation Vue. For now, I went with the Core package. We have Hulu TV for a month and we will probably go back to the $11.99 package after the month is up. You get so much more with even the core package on PSVue. Plus, I hate Hulu’s menu, although it’s a lot easier on a touch device.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Vue definitely is great if you don't need Viacom or History/AE stuff.

Watched football all day today on DTVN and SET and had absolutely 0 issues, they are really getting it right with IPTV. Although SET is bootleg DTV satellite lol. And it seems that DTVN has finally fixed their Fire app which is really great because I'm about to upgrade my main TV hardware and I'd like it to be the new Fire Cube when it releases. With Vue, you will want a Fire TV or Apple TV if you aren't using an actual Playstation 4.

Rokus are great for the bedrooms though because you can run the audio through the smartphone app so watching in bed you can have a nice set of wired or BT headphones linked to your phone getting the TV audio if your spouse is trying to sleep or whatever.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I think I’m gonna pickup the cube when it comes out too. My Firestick glitches from time to time, but it seems to be more related to the Hulu app on it.

I’m diggin’ the PSVue guide. That brings some familiarity to TV watching for sure.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

The DTVN and new Sling guides are good as well. And with DTVN you can favorite your channels so you have a separate "guide" with just the channels you want on it.

I am a little mad I sold my Gen 2 Fire TV but I could buy another one on the evilbays still if it turns out that it is better than the new Fire dongle coming out in a few weeks. So far hardware wise it actually looks like the Gen 2 Fire TV will be better hardware wise but the new one might come with some extra features that make it worth it plus the cost and a new OS that I'm not sure the older ones will get.

The Cube just needs to keep the cost around $100 or its not going to be worth it.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

ALERT!

2nd Generation refurbished Fire TVs are back in stock on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why is this an "alert"?

Amazon has discontinued sales of new ones in favor of the Fire Dongle coming out on the 25th. These are going for $150+ on ebay new in shrinkwrap (supposedly).

This refurb certified by Amazon and is only $15 more than the Fire TV dongle coming out on the 25th and is still far far superior hardware wise. Picture quality and responsiveness/speed is going to still be much better with the 2nd gen Fire TV. This also has a built in ethernet port for wired use and a microSD slot to run movies off of, both features the Fire Dongle does not have. You will be able to use a $15 adapter on the Dongle (and stick) to run an ethernet cable if you want but that brings the price up to the superior 2nd gen Fire TV box.

Unless you need 4K with 60fps HDR, I'd jump on this or stick with the cheaper Firestick. And if you DO need 60fps with HDR... personally I'd wait for the Fire TV cube coming out in 3-6 months or get a new Roku Ultra that is already out.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I saw this too and was wondering about it. I may snag one up.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also, the hardware on the 2nd gen Fire TV is more than stout enough to run 4K with HDR, if they update the firmware for it then it will be able to do it. Which they might not do because they'll want customers to buy new stuff... that's fine with me honestly, I don't plan on going 4K until enough content is available to justify the premium. Its like when bigger "full 1080p" televisions with 120hz were like $2000 and now you can get one that is 55-65" for $400...

Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

What internet speed are you guys running? Mine is 25mbps, but we are planning to upgrade to 150mbps. We have to upgrade to a different modem though first. I want to buy one to eliminate the $10/mo rental fees. Also, how close do you guys end up getting to your data cap? Our cap is 1000gb and then they charge us additional $$. I’m a little worried about the cap lol.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

75/75 service on FiOS. I was going to buy their router but I'm moving... but if you are on crapcast or whatever then def buy your own modem. No data caps in NJ. Speedtest pretty reliably at 80/80+, over wifi the 5.0ghz band used to speedtest the same as wifi but as more ppl have got 5.0ghz dual band routers the 5.0ghz channels are a lot more clogged up. So if you are in a suburb or apt complex or something... might want something with an ethernet port for your primary TV like the Fire TV 2nd gen or a Roku Ultra or AppleTV.

For the longest time the best bang for the buck device was the Roku 3 and still is honestly. You can get them for $30-$50 refurb (or even new) and they are great for 1080p televisions. Only 512mb RAM but with the Roku interface it doesn't seem to really be an issue ever and they work as fast as even the current 3800 Roku sticks and the decoder is better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar