Screw ever doing a "contract" or "payment plan" smartphone again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Screw ever doing a "contract" or "payment plan" smartphone again

Since I've moved to Spain I've already posted at how stupid the USA prices for phones are. Well... for the major carriers. Metro, Cricket and some of the others on GSM out there are starting to bring it down...

Anyway, since my V20 didn't work on the towers out here for data I went and started to look at factory unlocked phones used and new. I was kinda floored when I saw what is available now in that market brand new. Ocata core, 3-4 gigs of RAM, 5.5" screens at 1080p, fast charging, high def audio outs etc... for under $200...

So I went ahead and narrowed it down to a handful...

-ZTE Blade V8 Pro - $150. This is the one I got.
https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Blade-Fac...=zte+blade+pro

-Huawei Honor 6x - $180
https://www.amazon.com/Honor-6X-Unlo...words=honor+6x

-Huawei Honor 7x - $200, available from Huawei now or Amazon in a week
https://www.amazon.com/Honor-7X-full...p_ob_title_wld

-Moto G5 - Was $200 a few days ago
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6NTIRH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of these work with all carriers but if not, just go with a GSM carrier. The only non GSM (CMDA) carriers in the world are Verizon and Sprint and like 1 or 2 countries in South America or something. Sprint's network is dog**** and Verizon's is very crowded. Anything that uses the T-Mo or ATT (or their own) towers is a good bet. Over here the LTE speeds are nuts... I was shocked... even the non LTE 3G/4G (HSPA+) speeds are very fast.

Thought I'd just put this tidbit up there. For the US, get a good unlocked phone of your choice and get on Cricket or Metro PCS or Republic Wireless (ATT or T-Mo towers) and roll. Its only going to get better. Although still not as cheap as out here lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
It's a racket in this country, just like the cable companies.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
It's a racket in this country, just like the cable companies.
But the scombies (smart cell zombies) don't care, for just $xx/ month (for the hardware) they can have the most up-to-the-minute tech/fashion accessory and will then stand like braying sheep in line for hours to be the first kid on the block to have the next latest/ greatest offering.
Jack the cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #4

Region: Massachusetts
I gave up on locked phones and contracts about 5 years ago. Current phone is a Moto G5+ with 64G ram and a 128G micro SD, $229.
dgc333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

That was on my short list but the ZTE at $150 was just too good to pass up. Plus im big on a good case and the OEM zte case for it is basically an otterbox symmetry case.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the cat View Post
But the scombies (smart cell zombies) don't care, for just $xx/ month (for the hardware) they can have the most up-to-the-minute tech/fashion accessory and will then stand like braying sheep in line for hours to be the first kid on the block to have the next latest/ greatest offering.
All of those phones listed can do 95% or even everything the "flagship" androids can. I think only things the zte is missing is wireless charging and a 1440p screen. Screen at 1080 on a 5.5 device is plenty. Wireless charging is nice but a good bedside dock makes up for not having it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Got the phone today finally. Military mail FTW!

Anyway, the phone is a badass. Fast as hell, picture quality is great, the dolby output is GREAT, has USBC fast charging, fingerprint reader etc... etc... Plus the $14 "official" ZTE case is basically an otterbox commuter as far as protection.

Threw the Spanish sim card in, got signal right away, did a basic APN setting and boom data. Does not pick up the Movistar LTE but gets 4G HSPA+ just fine and speedtests at 20/10. That is more than enough speed and I am paying about $24/mo for 10 gigs on my line. Cannot beat it.

We are also getting 300mpbs fiber in the house we are getting. The house we are getting... its kinda crazy. Party house, first row from the beach as in walk out my front door, across the road and I'm on the beach. 3 plum trees, fig tree, orange tree, lemon tree, olive tree, pear tree and a bigass grape vine. Sangria anyone? And I'm going to be making about $1000 more than I was in the states.

Your taxpayer dollars at work lol.

Oh I forgot to mention the outside brick charcoal grille, granite outside table and the entire top of the house is a rooftop deck. You guys get passports you are more than welcome.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
What made you end up going with the ZTE Blade?
I recently cracked the screen on my phone an had been looking at new ones since mine has a few other issues as well. Been real close to pulling the trigger on a Huawei Honor phone for a few weeks now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
iPhone or iNoPhone

Old 01-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
iPhone or iNoPhone

I've had a company supplied iphone for 5 years now. I love it. Used to swear by android. Now that I'v had this iphone for awhile, I'll never go back to android.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbales88 View Post
What made you end up going with the ZTE Blade?
I recently cracked the screen on my phone an had been looking at new ones since mine has a few other issues as well. Been real close to pulling the trigger on a Huawei Honor phone for a few weeks now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ridiculous battery life, usbc fast charging. Good screen, REALLY GOOD OEM case, great specs, nfc communication. I don't think the honor has nfc or usbc at least the new one does not.

Also it's cheaper than anything else in this class right now on Amazon at $150. Would buy a second one in a heartbeat if my wife or kids phone died.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
iPhone or iNoPhone

They do work well. You also have to pay out of your anus.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well my kid had $175 in cash and amazon gift cards leftover from Xmas. Didn't want that same phone as dad so she got the Huawei Honor 6x. Will be cool to compare them. Advantage to the 6x is form factor and Nougat. Can't go wrong with either

Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
first row from the beach as in walk out my front door, across the road and I'm on the beach. 3 plum trees, fig tree, orange tree, lemon tree, olive tree, pear tree and a bigass grape vine. Sangria anyone? And I'm going to be making about $1000 more than I was in the states.

Your taxpayer dollars at work lol.

Oh I forgot to mention the outside brick charcoal grille, granite outside table and the entire top of the house is a rooftop deck. You guys get passports you are more than welcome.
Ummm... I'm going to Italy for 2 weeks in May for my wedding.. you inviting me over?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol Italy is pretty far from Spain unless you buy some plane tickets.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar