A Tribute to the late Captain Kangaroo, and Mr. Rogers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
A Tribute to the late Captain Kangaroo, and Mr. Rogers

Yes, I know The Captain is dead now, this article is just a little old now, but its still very relevant: Very, very interesting Captain Kangaroo turned 76 recently, which is odd, because he's never looked a day under 76. (DOB: 6/27/27)

It reminded me of the following story:

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried in a grave alongside 3 and 4 star generals at Arlington National Cemetery.

His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else. Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the amazing answer: I always liked Lee Marvin, but did not know the extent of his Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces often in rear-echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond
promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima. There is only one higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor.

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery. Dialog from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: His guest was Lee Marvin.

Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima... and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."
"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the *** and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi...bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys gettin' shot hauling you down.

But, Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew... We both got the cross the same day, but what he did for his cross made mine look cheap in comparison.

The dumb bastard actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by and mortar rounds landing every where and he stood there as the main target
of gun fire so that he could get his men to safe ty. He did this on more than one occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, where'd they get you Lee?'
"Well Bob... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying...Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew..... The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan... You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet.
Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to
his name. He wore a long sleeve s weater on his show to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. A master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life. He hid the tattoos and his past life away and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did, they quietly go about their day to day lives, doing what they do best. Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect. They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy.

Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom. They could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
::sniff sniff:: i used to watch mr rogers every day he died
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
according to biography.com,

Mr Rogers graduated College in 1951, married in '52, and went to PA to wrok in TV in '53, and started making children's programming in '63; he started his half-hour show in 1965.

When did he have time to be a SEAL in 'Nam?

Lee Marvin was in the Pacific, and got a Purple Heart. But, he's 3 years older than Mr. Keeshan. Would Keeshan be a sargeant when someone older thatn him at that time was a private?

-edit, added:

from cnn
Born in 1927 in suburban Long Island, the future Captain Kangaroo grew up in Forest Hills, New York, and was an NBC page for his last year of high school during World War II. He joined the Marines after graduation.

I don't mean to put anyone down, but people should be remembered for what they did, and both those men did great enough things, without any internet embellishments.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have no idea whether or not this story is true. This is the 2nd time I have recieved it in email forwards and I thought it was very interesting. As someone who served in the military I know that it is very possible for someone to be in a position of rank over someone older than themselves, that means nothing in the military, age does not determine rank at all. My father was a Marine for 4 years, he also served in the Pacific. He was never in trouble and never lost a stripe, when he got out he as a PFC, or private first class. Many people in the military also go up and down in rank like riding an elevator almost, some of the very decorated ones in fact, it is quiet common to be decorated and get out after 4 years of service as an E-1 private, as Mr. Lee Marvin apparently did.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
yeah, 'struth. But Cap'n Kangaroo woulda been getting out of high school ca. '45 when the war was on its last year (Iwo Jima in Feb, Hiroshima in August)...to put him in Iwo just seems like another e-mail hoax <shrug>
Old 01-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

I really don't know, maybe its true, maybe it isn't, it is a good story, and seems quiet possible, it if it isn't true. I am sure I don't know. My Dad went in the Marine Corps at 17 years old 2 weeks after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, my Grandmother had to sign for him to get in. He died in Oct of 99 at age 75.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
um.... how do they confirm kills? it seems like itd be hard to tell in a warzone
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Old 01-29-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Count bodies I think, during Nam body count was a big thing, always heard about body count after any big battle.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea but its not like there gonna walk over to the enemy area and just say hey i shot that dude hes gonna go on my count lol
Old 01-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, its a little different with special forces anyhow. As a rule they work in small teams, like maybe 5 men to a team. They are more likely to do their killing with maybe hand to hand combat, knives, etc, to achieve their objective as silently as possible. They want to get in, do what they have to do, and get out without attracting anymore attention than they have to. Confirmed kills in a team like that would be more likely confirmed by his team leader or other team members.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

I personally knew a guy, he was one of my taxi customers, I drove for a while when I was a college student to make money to live on. He was an ex Viet Nam Green Beret, for lack of better descriptive words, the man was a bit of a nut, and seemed to somewhat of a drunk, but he was also sharp in his sober moments. He once told me he probably knew about a thousand or so ways to kill a man without using a gun, an he probably did too. I wouldn't have wanted to challenge him on it. He liked to be called "Bonehead" I have no idea what his real name was.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar