Beat a Grand Am GT. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2004, 04:03 PM   #1

Beat a Grand Am GT.

Yesterday was my first official race. It was like 7:00 p.m. CST when I got out after a long day @ work. and one of the engineers that work here with me he had this Pontiac Grand AM GT with Ram air STOCK. and every body on the department has raced this guy’s car with family cars like Camry’s, Accords, Malibu’s and have lost. Well yesterday was the exception we were both @ the company parking lot and he told me if I want a race, I was the only one that I haven't race this guy because I had my car like for 3 months or so. So I said BE IT. We went to a street that turning right it will go to an expressway so I was behind him because it was one lane street and I was hopping that when we get into the expressway the race will start but NOOOO,,, @ the moment the red light turn green this guy finish making the right turn and RAM IT!! So I just Follow along did the same thing but when I floor it, my car started to go tilt to one side, I didn't let go the gas because this guy was like a car ahead of me, try to control it with the accelerator to the floor and right around 4K RPM's the car start go get straight, I hit 2nd @ 5K RPM's then I was gaining him distance Get 3rd @ 5K RPM, we get into the freeway I was less than a half of car distance from his fender I was right behind him and I was feeling that my car was having the vacuum effect, so I start to let go on the gas and I was bumper to bumper @ that time I don't know What speed we where, I was concentrated on the Tach and on the front car in case he hits the brakes, So this is the best part I had to pass this guy By that small moment I knew that my car was faster that the other, I was in 3rd gear so I Hit the clutch FLOOR IT, and out from his behind Hit 4th Around 5K RPM When I was in 4th gear and around 4K RPM I was all ready Ahead by where my fender ends Right there I know that I have won, So I started to let go the gas and wait for the next exit I went home feeling good, the small race was like 40-50 Sec. (I think), is amazing how time flyes when you are racing. Well This morning I got in late and in the office every body knew that I beat this guy, no body knew that we raced last night but, he told every body and their mother that I beat him, When I was walking into the office some friends and co workers was pounding me in the back some secretaries smiling @ me, and I was like WTF?? must be Valentines day. I got to my cubicle and there HE was waiting for me. My first impression was this guy wants a re match but, NOO he was asking me what the hell I got in my car and to let me know that I won fare and square, even that he took off first he was convinced and I beat him He told me that he was flooring it and by the moment that I was getting aside of him he was trying to push so hard the accelerator trying to get more juice but it was IT.
I'm feeling like a teenager (nothing wrong with that age) I being there ,but for a 30 y/o guy with family is a sensation of younger spirit and everyone telling the story in the office. it's a great feeling.
rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
cool, instead of dangerous teenage street racers there are grown men acting like dumb kids. congrats on not killing yourself, your friend, and others on the highway. and i was going to hold my tongue on this one until the "we were bumper to bumper in 3rd gear at 5k (60+ mph)" comment. btw grand am gt's are slow, i've raced one and beat it by .3 when i was stock. take it to the track, welcome to the site.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire
cool, instead of dangerous teenage street racers there are grown men acting like dumb kids. congrats on not killing yourself, your friend, and others on the highway. and i was going to hold my tongue on this one until the "we were bumper to bumper in 3rd gear at 5k (60+ mph)" comment. btw grand am gt's are slow, i've raced one and beat it by .3 when i was stock. take it to the track, welcome to the site.
:werd:

Dude, you're playing with fire, and you will get burned eventually. I did get caught, and that was enough for me to realize that I needed to keep it on the track.

When you finally get caught, or somethign uncontrolable happens (like a blown tire or a person swerves into your lane)... you'll understand what I mean.

Be careful.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
Dude, you're playing with fire, and you will get burned eventually. I did get caught, and that was enough for me to realize that I needed to keep it on the track.
Yup. Me too.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

you make me proud!
Old 03-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
ill race on the street or track... i dont care lol. Just gotta not be stupid on the street, the track is more fun though because you know how fast youre making your passes

btw, the track isnt necessarily the safe way to race either. Just today i watched an 11 second TT supra lose control and veer into the other lane clipping the other car. Somehow they both kept control but damn, that would have been scary. Ive also seen a 10 second car lose control while it was in a wheelie and actually rolled the thing sliding down the track for about 1/16th of a mile

just be careful, thats the bottom line

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Yeh street racing's illegal and dangerous. I really shouldn't do it...it's just the rush I'm going for. I almost died exactly one year ago this sat in a car wreck and guess what...I haven't slowed down. Just don't do anything stupid when anyone else is in the car or a lot of ppl are around. I wasn't driving in the wreck btw...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
people will always street race. if theres pavement, people will race. It's just a given fact. Everybody knows they should be safe, but not everybody, including the people who want to tell others what they should do or not do, is safe 100% of the time.

Congrats on winning the race.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar