Performance mods might really be a big waste of money??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Performance mods might really be a big waste of money???

I read an article, tried to copy and paste it, but it was fixed somehow so it wouldn't copy and paste, so I will try to summarize it as well as I can, and remember these are not necessarily my views, but more the views of the original writer of the article I am trying to summarize, lol.

OK, it goes something like this, and it was more referring I think to V8 stangs, but could also refer to V6s, especially the 99+ ones. 90-95+% of Mustang drivers it was said, cannot handle the power that their Mustang comes off the showroom floor with. This is from a performance store site, so you must know that we are serious here. :

You might do better before spending a load of money on performance mods for your car to spend some on driving classes to learn to handle the extra horse power insteading of wasting tons of money on mods that will only get you bragging rights to extra horsepower you don't no how to use and you can only put on a big "smoke show" with. Some unlucky few even end up hurting themselves or someone else with this new found power, at very least, practice, practice, practice and practice some more with your car before you try to get out and race with it.

Also in road racing, or autocross the fastest car is not necessarily the one that will win and a 10 sec. 1/4 mile car is more likely to be found sitting in the grass by the side of a road course than in the winner's circle.

Again, these are not necessarily my opinions, but they made a lot of sense to me, and maybe you should all give them some thought before spending a lot to mod your cars.

footnote, taken from here: http://speedworx.com/cgi-local/shop.pl/SID=1077076805.8439/page=expertechmain.htm
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
uh wrong forum man. i agree that people should take an offensive and defensive driving course as MANDATORY for a license though, so i agree with him to a small extent. there are too many rich kids with 300+ hp cars that don't know how to control it.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know, but it seems like a good place for it too for people to read that are thinking about big hp mods. LOL.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
id love to take a corse like that, i wish it was mandatory, but till then driving corses where you get to do fun **** is very expensive, other wise id go. I wanna go to one of those corses where they teach you how to race in a pseudo indy car.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:35 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

i totally agree with the driving school thing. imma take one this summer hopefully and then i will be able to drive the snot out of my evo
Old 02-20-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Id have to agree Ive personally seen lots of guys around that have moms and dads buy them all the parts they need and within a month or so it ends up being part of a tree. Most people cant handle all the extra power and dont realize they gotta react differ to when it was stock. These people dont realize that and end up either like I said part of tree or guardrail.

My Bday present from my rents is hitting up the Skip barber Driving school for this spring
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I love power, but I've been driving for a long time and driving cars that came with big blocks and such. I've learned a lot about how to handle HP and torque. One of the reasons I prefer RWD over FWD is that I can use that power to hang the rear out if I choose to. Try that with a FWD and all you do is slide the front end.

When I taught my daughter to drive I taught her in a V8 powered RWD stick car. I spent about a year teaching her before I let her get her license. Any time she wants to borrow that car she can.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't know the name of the school, but there is one at the Virginia International Raceway, near Danville VA, not far from this part of North Carolina, you can do a search on VIR on the net, they teach you in Vets on that road race course, its a nice race couse from what I have seen of it last summer. Anyone in Virginia or North Carolina that might be a good school to look at if you are interested in a racing driving school.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I really dont' think this belongs where it got moved to, its going to get lost here, but I know it didn't belong where I put it either, so my bad . Now I can't even move it from here.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:42 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

ttt
Old 02-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

TTT
Old 02-21-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Regular

Region: Tennessee
:

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

You didn't like it Brent? I thought it was kind of cool man... Did you look at the link?
Old 02-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #14
Regular

its good just : @ your excessive TTT

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
i can see if you went from a N/A application to a forced induction app, but you grow a little with each mod and learn along the way. ive only had the clipse for about a month and i still cant launch good, and theres people with the same car as mine whove had it for years and they still cant launch good either. practice makes perfect. find a deserted road and just launch away till you get it good. and brent what the hell is a shorty crunk?

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:05 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

OH, I just didnt' want it to get too far down the line and get lost, that is why I had posted it in a tech forum to begin with and not in here.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #17
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
I don't care about making the 6er perform. I rather have my 67 be the go-getter.

Needless to say, I'll be in the 30s before I go fast.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636 View Post
I read an article, tried to copy and paste it, but it was fixed somehow so it wouldn't copy and paste, so I will try to summarize it as well as I can, and remember these are not necessarily my views, but more the views of the original writer of the article I am trying to summarize, lol.

OK, it goes something like this, and it was more referring I think to V8 stangs, but could also refer to V6s, especially the 99+ ones. 90-95+% of Mustang drivers it was said, cannot handle the power that their Mustang comes off the showroom floor with. This is from a performance store site, so you must know that we are serious here. :

You might do better before spending a load of money on performance mods for your car to spend some on driving classes to learn to handle the extra horse power insteading of wasting tons of money on mods that will only get you bragging rights to extra horsepower you don't no how to use and you can only put on a big "smoke show" with. Some unlucky few even end up hurting themselves or someone else with this new found power, at very least, practice, practice, practice and practice some more with your car before you try to get out and race with it.

Also in road racing, or autocross the fastest car is not necessarily the one that will win and a 10 sec. 1/4 mile car is more likely to be found sitting in the grass by the side of a road course than in the winner's circle.

Again, these are not necessarily my opinions, but they made a lot of sense to me, and maybe you should all give them some thought before spending a lot to mod your cars.

footnote, taken from here: http://speedworx.com/cgi-local/shop....ertechmain.htm
Tend to agree with 99.5% of what you said, at 75, my power shifting, mid sixties muscle car driving days are over. However, as the proud owner of 2015 GT Premium w/PP, I might consider something like a cold air intake if it would make the car perform more efficiently. What say you?
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Most engine "bolt ons" that aren't exhaust from the mid 90s onwards are a waste of money.

Example, 2001 Mustang GT.

-Stock airbox is a CAI, replacing it is looks only
-Stock TB will not be a restriction in an app that only revs to 5800, stock MAF is good for more than the stock rods can handle
-Stock manifolds are not restrictive, shorties are marginal gains at best and longtubes not needed even with a supercharger.
-Pullies are a waste of money except again for the looks
-"Performance coils" are actually weaker than a good fresh set of OEM

etc... etc... I could go on. Same holds true for a car like that and the 3V too and the Coyote too. Mid pipe, catback, gears, tune and then SUSPENSION. Way too many cars running around with every bolt on under the sun and stock suspension. And then they can't figure it out when a car making less power then them walks away at a stoplight because it had a good suspension setup.

And yes, driving classes for a road course will make a huge difference. A really good driver in a "middle of the road" car will wtfpwn an average driver in a fast car. This also holds true for ppl who go to the 1/4 mile but not so much as the handling cars.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:17 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Wow, another old thread dug up; this time February 2004.

Great to see the search is still alive!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Lmao I look for the date on the post above the one I'm responding to. I didn't necro it!

Hey, whatevs, its a good read and still relevant. There is almost as much snake oil in the performance industry as there is in organic /"natural" foods. And that is saying something..
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar