CAI Installed, but what the hell.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
CAI Installed, but what the hell..

Alright, today my Dad and I installed the Cold Air Intake. At first, I was alittle worried we were going to screw up something, but as we got into it everything fell into place... until we I took a look at the tube that goes from the engine to the electircals, which has the two holes in it for the air breather and the other wire. The air breather hole was on the side, not on the top like originally shown here. So I'm alittle ticked at that.fact. I emailed the people about it, so we'll see what they say. But my dad and I decided to keep going, we cut the air breather tube and macgyver'd it so it'd fit. Yeahhh.. but I'll get some pictures of it soon, probably tomorrow when I come home from work. But yes, there we go.

Oh, and of course.. as I was tightening the battery connector back the ring on my hand hit the opposite battery connector and sparks FLEW. I freaked out and pulled my hand out of there. My ring fell off my finger, thank god for me losing weight because it's pretty easy for my ring to fall off my hand now. But as I stood back holding my hand making sure everything was alright, I looked at the ring which was almost magnitized to the wrench I was using. Taking a closer look at the ring, it had scortch marks on the side of it. Scared the hell out of me at the time, but I started laughing my *** off at the situation. I'll also get pics of those by tonight.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

and a follow up, I just drove it around today. Yes, the whistle is very noticeable to me.. but I can deal with it. The one thing I can't deal with is my front right wheel is making a sqweeking noise constantly. So I got sqweek sqweek sqweek and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee going on lol It's getting annoying now, but I'll just have my radio at it's normal volume.. Too Damn Loud to hear it

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
About the CAI:

My BBK intake was the same way. The breather tube connection was on the side, and the plastic piece thats inside the breather tube had to come out of the tube, and i had to cut the breather tube slightly to shorten it. Even then it wouldnt fit on the opening so i took my dremel and bored out the tube slighty and it fit on perfectly. Ill grab a pic if you need one.

That install with the pic was of a Ebay CAI. There was no cutting or anything needed for the breather tube. The plastic piece just fit in the hole in it. Im kinda suprised yours wasnt the same way.
Maybe you got one meant for 99+ ?

About your squeaking:

Dont just turn up the volume. It could potentially be dangerous.
Jack up your front end. Spin the wheels listen for a sound.
Take the wheel and move it side to side. See if its loose at all. When you move it see if you get a sound anywhere.
It sounds like your wheel bearing may be shot. They are not difficult to change.
But you could be having a problem with your balljoint or tierod.
I can get you a pic of a easy way to check your tierod to see if one of the ends are bad.

Sometimes issues like these can make a wheel fall off. Its happend before so dont just let it go forever. I've heard alot of stories. Just get it checked out, most places do free front end checks, i know sears does.
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #4

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
The pic looks like a 99+ at the throttle body tube.
And as a precaution always disconnect the negitive cable when doing any work around elec. components
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

lol, that is my pic, its a 94-98. See how the breather tube fits perfectly? hah.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:46 PM   #6

I didn't think that there was that much of a bend up there on the 94-98, guess i thought wrong. oh well
Old 03-30-2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedya95stang
About the CAI:

My BBK intake was the same way. The breather tube connection was on the side, and the plastic piece thats inside the breather tube had to come out of the tube, and i had to cut the breather tube slightly to shorten it. Even then it wouldnt fit on the opening so i took my dremel and bored out the tube slighty and it fit on perfectly. Ill grab a pic if you need one.

That install with the pic was of a Ebay CAI. There was no cutting or anything needed for the breather tube. The plastic piece just fit in the hole in it. Im kinda suprised yours wasnt the same way.
Maybe you got one meant for 99+ ?

About your squeaking:

Dont just turn up the volume. It could potentially be dangerous.
Jack up your front end. Spin the wheels listen for a sound.
Take the wheel and move it side to side. See if its loose at all. When you move it see if you get a sound anywhere.
It sounds like your wheel bearing may be shot. They are not difficult to change.
But you could be having a problem with your balljoint or tierod.
I can get you a pic of a easy way to check your tierod to see if one of the ends are bad.

Sometimes issues like these can make a wheel fall off. Its happend before so dont just let it go forever. I've heard alot of stories. Just get it checked out, most places do free front end checks, i know sears does.
Oh don't worry about the sqweaking. I took it into a mechanic this afternoon for him to check it out and for an oil change. He lubed up a bunch of things, tightened a few other things that looked slightly lose so yeah. It only makes noise when it's spinning on the ground, spinning in air it doesn't do anything. It'll be looked at again tomorrow. I'll have him check out the air breather to see if it looks stable. It looks good to me though.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:58 PM   #8
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mineralgrey6
The pic looks like a 99+ at the throttle body tube.
And as a precaution always disconnect the negitive cable when doing any work around elec. components
Any time I did the neons or put the headunit and speakers in, never disconnected the battery.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:58 PM   #9

sounds like a tie rod, or balljoint.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tie rod really only squeaks when you turn the wheel.

Its more like a wheel bearing, or balljoint issue.
If there are issues with the balljoint which is what it sounds like since it was loose you say? you cant just tighten it up. Also you cant lube it, its sealed. Get someone else to look that guy doesnt sound to good. lol.

The air breather tube isnt a real technical thing. Just get it on the tube and you'll be fine. If it fits connected to the intake and doesnt look ghetto then leave it alone its all good. Take a pic.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I actually have a bad tierod. Both inner and outer on the right side. I should shoot a little video of how to check your tie rod. Also the sound it makes. Seems like it may be usefull for times like these. Then ill make a how-to of how to replace it. Its just too cold so i've been ignoring it.
But a balljoint isnt the safest thing to ignore. Id really take it somewhere for a good front end check.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:05 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, the mechanic fixed the sqweak the last time it happened (That time it was in the rear right side). He said if it continues to bring it in tomorrow so he can basically replace a few things in it that he replaced last time which had fixed the rear.

What DOES the air breather do anyhow? I'll take pics tomorrow no worries. In the mean time, here are the pictures of my ring that the battery ****ed over

Old 03-31-2004, 01:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Where is the smiley?

Don't wear jewelry when working on your car. That's like rule #A of shop class.

And don't throw tools.

You're lucky it didn't get welded to the wrench.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:15 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

"The more you know.........."

Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

And no long hair.

And don't clean parts with gasoline.

And don't let the lug nuts spin in the impact wrench.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:07 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

heh a lot of the time people who make films make grease monkies with long hair everywhere

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Tags
cai