Jobs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Jobs

I hate my job, I'm considering quitting. Anyone have a job that pays more than 8.25 an hour and isn't retail that you like to do?

Long story on why I posted this, but I'm on the verge of quitting.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes, I get a base salary of $33.54/hr and a 17% shift differential.

But I suspect I am not your target audience.

My wife just started a new job, firswt one in 9 years, $12/hr. Took her since last July to find a job that she wanted AND allowed her to work the hours she wanted. Lot's of offeres for her, but she turned them down to find whar she wanted. We don't need her to work, she wants to.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

I waited tables for a while. I made 2.13/hr, but after tips, it came to about $15/hr. Great pay but you had to deal with some crap.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 01:42 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
Yes, I get a base salary of $33.54/hr and a 17% shift differential.

But I suspect I am not your target audience.

My wife just started a new job, firswt one in 9 years, $12/hr. Took her since last July to find a job that she wanted AND allowed her to work the hours she wanted. Lot's of offeres for her, but she turned them down to find whar she wanted. We don't need her to work, she wants to.

Steve
Try me! What do you do?

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:32 AM   #5
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Seph -

There is a signifigant difference between people with careers and people with jobs. Clearly Ponycarman has a career.

If you are looking for a career, you first need education and experience (which you already know)..

If you are looking for a job - that's another story.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also lookin for a new job right now. Very hard though since I'm going to college full time. The good jobs are those jobs that you have to work 12 hour days or the weird shifts like 10am -6pm or something like that. I'm going to try and find me a job this summer that pays more and that I can work in the A.M. and go to college full time at night. currently I go to school in the A.M. and I work at night. Totally sucks. I like the morning shifts better!

My dads trying to get me in his company! He should be calling around 11:00am to day to let me know what he finds out. Thats really the only job I can take because they get out at 3pm which, in return, will alow me to be at school around 5 or so. Pay he said will be around 9.50/hour to start! Hey thats 3.15/hour more than I'm making now! I'm for real, too! LOL. I'll let you all know what he says about the job, if I got it or not!
xtrememustang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

at school I make $6/hr but its easy as **** so I don't mind it.

Over the summer I make ~$13/hr under the table as a painting contractor working for/with my dad(his own business).

its a pretty well known fact that if you really need money, manual labor is the fastest way to make it. It's hard work, but the fat paychecks make it worth it.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to BruThru2002
I make $20 an hour under the table doin construction work with my dad (he owns the business too), but im very skilled at what I do. Definitly hard work but i love doin it, nothin better then takin a pile of wood and turnin it into somethin.

2000 Mustang....
~ Performance Red, New Mach 1 (Mag 500) rims, Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, Black Letters & Rocker stripes, Sony - Rockford Fosgate system
-Billy
BruThru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
you fuggers that get paid under the table make us pay more taxes :angryfire

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 AM   #10
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
you fuggers that get paid under the table make us pay more taxes :angryfire
Right on!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah seriously, I'd work for my dad too except he's a nuclear medicine tech. That requires a lot of education, and a lot of hospital knowledge which I'm not all into. I don't think I could inject radiation in people and all that "fun" stuff I never showed you guys this before, but I do designs like this and I've been trying to figure out what I should do with them.

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/Page0Drag2.jpg (kinda big)

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/Sun.jpg (also bigish)

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/Tribal.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/im...ribalAngel.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/im...ribalFairy.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/im...ribalFishy.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/TribalGuy.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/im...ibalTurtle.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/Wings.jpg

Tell me what you think, any ideas on what I should do? I literally have an art book filled with designs like these. I really enjoy doing this stuff too

Old 04-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Gettin paid under the table is the only way to go...been doing it for several years now. No taxes...money goes straight to checking account with nothing inbetween. Gotta love it..
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80
as for the job: join the military (soundin like a broken record here) but they pay for college, free place to live, pay you extra money to eat, pay you extra if your married/have kids I am headed to curacao sometime soon for 21 days, which is right next door to aruba and I will be making $117.00 a day, not including all my other pays, so thats like $2500 extra dollars to throw at my savings account. I could go on all day about the military, I am in the Navy so I base my opinion and my experiences on that, other services are different, but I enjoy the Navy. Any questions e-mail me, send me a msg I will tell you anything you want to know.

as for the art: IMO they look like they would be really cool tattoos or something of that sorts.

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I fix things for a living. In my case I fix the machines used to build semiconductors. I work Fri-Sat-Sun 7 pm till 7:30 am. There are three of us maintenance guys on this shift and we have 150+ machines to keep running, no more than two of these machines are alike so it's a lot of different stuff. I am the senior maintenance tech. Been doing this for almost 10 years now, this Halloween will be 10 years.

Prior to that I was an assistant manager at an auto parts store.

Prior to that I was in the Navy, which taught me electronics and a lot of other things, did 9.5 years.

Prior to that I was a kid in HS.

So, yeah I have a career. I started out a know nothing kid and look where I am now, a know nothing old fart, lol. Closest I ever got to college was going to a bowl game. What got me to where I am is hard work and an aptitude to figuring problems out.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Gettin under the table doing it for money. Gotta love it..

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #16
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

I did 7 in the USAF
took some hourly jobs for a year and a half.

ended up in Telecom back in '96
Old 04-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

If I go into the military, I'd probably go into the Navy or airforce. I wouldn't mind flying in a C-130 Spectre Gun ship blowing up stuff from a distance.

As for my art stuff, I have no idea what to do with it.. Lots of people say tattoos, my brother wants to get a tattoo of the blue/black dragon. I was thinking about making them into decals for cars.. I know they'd do well for tattoos, but I don't think it would be enough money to really settle me down well.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I was Navy. If you are looking towards the military for job training don't go into weapons, not much of a market for those skills unless you are thinking cop or security.

My son in law is in the Army and he drives a self propelled howitzer. Not sure how that'll translate to a civilian job.

One problem, so to speak, with military training is that a lot of civilian hirers don't know what it means when you are trained by the military to do a job. They are looking more for a diploma from a school. So you either have to explain to them what you learned or get lucky and have an ex-military type doing the hiring.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
I've been working for the same software company for almost four years now.. started at age 15. Now I'm up to 18/hr... altho since I'm a full-time high school senior, my hours aren't much, not to mention, I commute in equivelant rush-hour traffic to people who go into Washington, D.C. and leave home in the evening (in fact... the majority of the reason it takes so long is the D.C. traffic merges with me on my way out).
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80
Quote:
I was Navy. If you are looking towards the military for job training don't go into weapons, not much of a market for those skills unless you are thinking cop or security.

My son in law is in the Army and he drives a self propelled howitzer. Not sure how that'll translate to a civilian job.

One problem, so to speak, with military training is that a lot of civilian hirers don't know what it means when you are trained by the military to do a job. They are looking more for a diploma from a school. So you either have to explain to them what you learned or get lucky and have an ex-military type doing the hiring.

Steve
actually the Navy is changing it now so you have a certification when you get out.

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfire80
actually the Navy is changing it now so you have a certification when you get out.
Be that as it may, you still have to educate the person looking to hire you what that means.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #22
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Those designs are sweet.

I'm working for a defense contractor this summer, $10/hr, 40 hrs a week. pretty nice $ for a high school kid on his way to college.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
seph, you could sell those designs to tatoo parlors.. they buy em for like 20 bucks a sheet. Drive to a bunch of different ones it could be easy money

ps: i work 2 jobs and going to school for 2 careers. Its tough.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
seph - those designs are awesome, maybe tattoo artist in the making??
Old 04-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to BruThru2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrum
I've been working for the same software company for almost four years now.. started at age 15. Now I'm up to 18/hr... altho since I'm a full-time high school senior, my hours aren't much, not to mention, I commute in equivelant rush-hour traffic to people who go into Washington, D.C. and leave home in the evening (in fact... the majority of the reason it takes so long is the D.C. traffic merges with me on my way out).
I feel your pain with the traffic man. I go down Indian Head Highway to 495... over the bridge into Alexandria... over to Burke where we are workin now. Those exits for 95 are a b*tch. But goin to the few jobs we had in DC, man that was hell. Doin a place somewhere in N.W. soon actually. Where in Burke do you live?... wouldnt mind checkin out the car.

2000 Mustang....
~ Performance Red, New Mach 1 (Mag 500) rims, Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, Black Letters & Rocker stripes, Sony - Rockford Fosgate system
-Billy
BruThru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
man ya'll make some fat cash, I work at Carmax for $8.50hr base pay, and $10 hr Commission pay. so i make around $150-$200 a day (a day we "bill" more hours then we work, work from 6:30a till about 7pm most nights., 40+hrs a week pay is 2 weeks. also work at McDonalds unload the truck tues and friday night $10hr = about 4-5hrs a week. (not much but hey its gas money) also a Volly Firefighter 2-3 nights a week No pay. also doing some police training no pay, and monday nights I teach a Fire Explorer program 7-10pm no pay. those are my JOBS, when I turn 21 I am going to be a Full time Firefighter.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruThru2002
I feel your pain with the traffic man. I go down Indian Head Highway to 495... over the bridge into Alexandria... over to Burke where we are workin now. Those exits for 95 are a b*tch. But goin to the few jobs we had in DC, man that was hell. Doin a place somewhere in N.W. soon actually. Where in Burke do you live?... wouldnt mind checkin out the car.
You've been PM'ed
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:56 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah I could do the tattoo thing, but I dunno. I feel like I could do more with the designs. Hell, I could sell them and then go put them on shirts or some crap.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Steve
I can see how that could be frustrating well, scratch that idea. my grandpa was in the Navy back in WW2, he was one of those guys who wrote backward on that huge see-thru window thing showing coordinates

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar