So my dad had his car in the shop... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
So my dad had his car in the shop...

Couple weeks ago, like...2 weeks or so ago, my dads 89 bird blew a headgasket with 174K miles on it (great for a 3.8L)

he decided to take it to ford to have it done right

well, the estimate came out to about 3500, which included a new shortblock and heads, and labor, and some misc parts and stuff, well, my dad never got a written estimate, or anything, just a call saying "while we have your car apart, is there anything else you think the car needs?"

if these mechanics are fords best...they would have spotted a disconnected and plugged aftermarket EGR valve, an 11 year old serpentine belt, bad motor mounts, and a bunch of those little odds and ends

well, today, he got a call "your car is done, the cost is 4500 dollars" 4 fvckin thousand 5 hundred dollars?!!?!! WTF?! my dad called me from work, had me look up prices, they said the egr valve was 80 bucks...it was 38, they put 8 dollar platinum plugs in it...motorcraft making plugs that cost 8 dollars each, BULL****! his car doesnt even call for platinums!! said the motor mounts were 120 for one, and 200 for the other....it was 120 for one...70 for the other

he brings the car home, and has me check it out, it had a slight miss as idle, and was making a funny *** noise, turns out the dumbasses didnt put this setscrew in the back of the EGR valve so it was venting air that should be going into the intake manifold

i was checking things out, it had a cheap *** aftermarket serpentine belt, one of the coolant hoses they used wasnt the right one, it had a bung in it for a temp sensor...that they stuck a temp sensor in just to plug the hole, and rigged up another hose to make up for the extra length of the non-proper hose

a BIG thing that pissed me off, the car was filthy...under the hood was dirtier than when we sent it to them, just 5 minuets wiping it down with a wet rag would have helped a lot, they said they washed the car...they didnt wash it, they hosed it down and chamoised it off, so there was mad swirl marks and dirt all over the car...and his car is black...

he talked em down to 4100 dollars, which is still and *** raping, and for what he payed...they did a **** *** job

dont take your car to a dealership unless its warranty work
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
i can vouge for that.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:52 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to XMustangx2002
They took 2 weeks to replace my intake manifold and didnt plug the exhuast back up BUMBASSESS!
-Engine-Ebay CAI,25% crank pulley.

XMustangx2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!

it also took them 4 days rather than the 3 they said it would

AND when we got it back, the coolant resivior was empty, and there was still air in the system...what does that do to 3.8L's everyone?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Wow O.o kinda glad I didn't get the extended warrenty lol

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:10 AM   #6

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
[note to self] Fix my own stuff[/note to self]
Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
cost me 2600 including labor when my head gasket blew...

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
cost me 2600 including labor when my head gasket blew...
they wouldnt replace just his headgasket, since he had such high milage, they said they wouldnt do it, the possibility of rising the compression could cause damage, that and they had no idea of the wear on the bearings, then splash some coolant on the bearings...
Old 05-19-2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedya95stang
i can vouge for that.
its vouch. i think

and yeah ford sucks. my car kept stalling at a stop and they kept telling me it was my K&N cone filter bringing in too much air at idle. WTF? so i put the stock box back on and they said it was the MAF going bad. new maf 300$ later and next day still dies.

and no they had my car for a month once for a brand new AC system, and no they DONT EVER wash their repair cars. the place by my house doesnt even have a washer, they take their cars down the street and have them washed.

so i go with my origina assumption that it was the torque convertor in the tranny going out, cause it felt like if you were to slow down and stop in a manual and leave it in gear, and it would fall to a certain rpm and die. so i take it to the tranny shop and tell them to look at it. sure nuff its the TC. 1200 later its all better. but ford sucks.

im sure you all knew that. NEVER go to SATAN for repairs. find a good car forum and give them the problem. most the time, they are smart and can find the problem for you.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Wow O.o kinda glad I didn't get the extended warrenty lol
dont ever get an extended warranty...my girlfriends dad is a salesman(top salesman of the month for 7 months) and he says that if you ever buy a car, just get the car and go, they will a$$ rape you with alot of ****...like gap insurance (includes tire waranty) but dont ever tell you that. then ask you if you want tire insurance, then ask you if you want the 75,000 warranty (which includes tire protection)...the list goes on and on. You can end up buying the same thing 3 times or more. And that's not only on tires...many other things.
02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar