Come, Let Us Reason Together... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to LuvMyGT
Come, Let Us Reason Together...

I found this article today at work. It's a nice little perspective on things.
http://www.rspa.com/commentary/Comment6.html
Come, Let Us Reason Together

As we prosecute our war on international terrorism, the small but growing groundswell of protest can be heard on college campuses across the USA and around the world. "Violence only begets more violence," shouts the leader of a student protest. "Cultural and economic imperialism are the catalysts for hatred," argues a sociology professor. "I'd bomb them with food and medical aid and with love," cries a well-known entertainer to the cheers of hundreds of 20 year olds.

For an old-timer like me, it's deja vu all over again. The long lost sixties have returned ,,, or have they?

The flower children of the 1960s used to say, "What if they held a war and nobody came." What sentiment, what idealism, what nonsense! Now I admit that no one can fault folks for wanting peace, for hoping that hatred and violence can be cured with strong doses of reason and love. In fact, it's a wonderful abstraction.

Our problem, today, in the year 2001 is that somebody has already declared war and they've already shown up. They have killed us ... a lot of us, and they want to kill you, your family, and your friends. Let me repeat that: They ... want ... to ... kill ... you.

But the peace-now folks would protest, "Wait, it's not as simple as that. There are reasons why they're angry. Once we understand them and address their legitimate grievances, we can reason with them. We can make them our friends.

I can only shake my head. Idealism is a wonderful trait, but those who have too much of it can be dangerously naive.

The terrorists and the tens of millions of people who support them will not listen to reason, they will not join hands and sing folk songs, they will not have a sudden epiphany and see our point of view. They will not stop even if we withdraw support for Israel, even if we pull troops out of Saudi Arabia, even if we lift the "inhuman sanctions" on Iraq and allow Saddam to build nuclear weapons and manufacture anthrax by the ton. They will add items to their list of grievances as fast as we address each grievance. They do not negotiate, they extort (and there is a profound difference). You can wish this wasn't true, but it won't change reality.

Far be it from me, an ex-professor myself, to suggest that students and faculty do not have the right to express their views. Of course they do, but please, do it with a little less hubris. If you're a student and a twenty something, you haven't yet had a full dose of life experience, you have relatively limited historical perspective and even less experience in dealing and negotiating with people from other cultures. If you're a professor, recognize that postmodernist relativism is fine for academic discussion, but sorely lacking when your life has been threatened.

I think it was Winston Churchill who said, "If you're not a liberal [progressive] at the age of 20 you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at the age of 40, you have no brain," Strong words, no doubt, but in the present context, they are absolutely accurate. So go ahead, protest, argue that our enemy has real grievances that if addessed would lead to peace now. Enjoy your perceived moral superiority over those of us who think that another road must be taken. And as you whip yourself into a frenzy of moral outrage, just remember five words: They ... want ... to ... kill ... you.
LuvMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80
:patriot: I agree, most of those people dont sit back and realize that they still want to kill us, no matter if we help them or not, or which way we help them. Screw everyone that thinks that love and aid will stop them from harming innocent people, just remember the world trade center, the pentagon, and all the people on those planes. If the terrorists had another chance to attack like that, they would in a heart beat.

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfire80
:patriot: I agree, most of those people dont sit back and realize that they still want to kill us, no matter if we help them or not, or which way we help them. Screw everyone that thinks that love and aid will stop them from harming innocent people, just remember the world trade center, the pentagon, and all the people on those planes. If the terrorists had another chance to attack like that, they would in a heart beat.
Amen brother, and think of it this way.....if the terrorists could have put every man, woman, and CHILD in America on those planes before they crashed them, they would have. .....********. (both the terrorists and the ignorant protestors/brainless college kids)
:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
The article is a little dated, but the facts have NOT changed, and yes, they still want to kill us. If you read, or even listen to the news, they are doing it daily, as often as possible. The latest is they think we are going to be hit hard here at home again this summer, I HOPE they are wrong, I am AFRAID they might be right, I pray not.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
...I pray not.
Yeah well...

Al-Qaeda reported to have nuclear weapons

Cairo
February 10, 2004
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs
A pan-Arab newspaper has reported that al-Qaeda bought nuclear weapons from Ukraine in 1998 and is storing them for possible use. There was no independent corroboration of the al-Hayat report, which appeared on Sunday.

The newspaper said al-Qaeda bought the weapons in a deal arranged when Ukrainian scientists visited the Afghan city of Kandahar in 1998. The city was then a stronghold of the Taliban.

Al-Qaeda would use the weapons only inside the US or if it faced a "crushing blow" that threatened its existence, such as the use of nuclear or chemical weapons against its fighters, the newspaper said. Ukraine inherited its nuclear weapons from the Soviet Union.
@media print {.nopr {display:none}}
Old 05-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
that is a damn good article. makes good points.

i get tired of arguing with people who choose to be ignorant. and i get even more tired of typing out my arguments, which is why i've been on the sideline in most of the heated discussions on these forums.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar