Driver 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Thumbs down Driver 3

i know most of you have seen the commercial. 40 cars, 20 million dollars. it has the makings to be the "gone in 60 seconds" for xbox. but alas, its the 3rd installment of the Driver series. from the commercial it looks badass. driving big rigs, speedboats, shooting on foot, fast cars. all the things to make for a good game. so as most gamers i know, i went and bought the game. that was sunday night.

this is tuesday night. im already done with it. spent the max of 5 hours to beat the "undercover" mode. this is by FAR one of the worst games ever put together and given to the public. it feels like a PS1 game in terms of playability, just with GTA3 graphics. ever play the first 2 Driver games for PS? ever notice all the textures that would strangely dissapear or have angles showing or not fully cover walls that are in plain daylight? well take that, and multiply it by 4. now take the ability to run, not like the GTA3 style of running where its fleuntly able to run in any 360*, but more like driver2, where its either forward, back, left and right. of course, you can use the right stick to point to where he should run, but its still very stiff.

and everything is very exaggerated. all cars drift around the corners much like a 70's cop drama tv show. tires squeal no matter how slow youre going, and the cars act like big barges with wheels. all cars, no matter what make or model, sound as if theyre all big blocks. loud and throaty, which is cool and all, but not when im in istanbul, in some little 4banger.

you would think that with releasing a game on new and improved systems, the cinematics and cutscenes would greatly improve over the older Driver series. they have not. its still the same blobby cinemantics that were seen in the first 2, and in game cutscenes are just as jittery and spikey as the old ones. hell i wouldnt be suprised if theyre still using the Driver2 game engine, just with better textures.

even the acting sucked. they had big names like Mickey Rourke and Michelle Rodrigues(chick from F&F and Blue Crush.......yeah nice huh), yet their voice overs sounded like they were taken over the phone.

as for driving the actual cars. rather annoying. unlike most car games today where if you run through a light pole or stoplight pole, it breaks in half and only slows you a bit, driver3 takes realism to a new level. run into a light pole, stoplight, minor tree, and you will be stopped in your tracks. if you were chasing somebody, youd have to resort to the ever annoying Restart option, cause it would take to long to back up and take off again, by that time youd get the infamous "youve lost him" and have to restart anyways. and you all know how fun it is to find jumps and jump the cars with no remorse for human life? well no more of that. you might be fine the first time, but the physics engine is so crappy, take the same jump the same way, and it will flip you rear over front. take it another, and you might barrel roll 15 times before even landing. its very unpredictable. the driving engine is shoddy at best.

as for foot action. hope you got patience. enemies are numerous, and stupid. theyll pop out of nowhere and empty a clip on you and you die instanly. of cousre, the more times you die, the more enimies you remember about, and thus gets easier. till you know where every one is, its gonna be very annoying. as for shooting them, you can either opt for auto aim or manual. but you still have to point the gun in their IMMEDIATE direction. meaning it has to hit his arm before it "autoaims" for his chest. and say hes behind a car, and his chest isnt exposed. you could shoot away all you like and hes not gonna feel it. i opted for manual after i got pissed because they all run to things for cover, and you can always aim for their head. but with the targeting system, it makes even aiming in their direction a task in itself, let alone actually hitting them with a bullet. so you tend to figure out where theyre at, duck behind a barrel, use the camera and angle it so you can see where theyre at over the barrel, aim for them while still hidden, then pop up and blast them. it gets very repetitive doing that, but better then running out and getting blasted.

if you were looking to add this to your collection, DONT. its not worth the 50 bucks i paid. rent it once and be done with it. you will thank yourself later.

/end of Driv3r for XBOX review.

(driv3r for XBOX and PS2 are the same, there are no graphical or gameplay differences in the two)

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 02:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. By the length of your post I can tell you are extremely pissed.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 02:28 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

I was stalling myself on wanting to get Driver 3, I kept saying "RENT RENT RENT" so I'm glad I waited. I rented Front Mission 4 and I love it I played the older version on an SNES emulator all in japanese. I played it for a couple of months with a handy translated walkthrough all in english. I loved it during SNES and I love it even more on the PS2 I didn't play Front Mission 3, but 4 is good

You have mechs, get to put all sorts of weapons and parts on them, move them around like Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm going to buy the game when Circuit City gets it. It's been out for about 2 and a half weeks and Circuit City STILL DOESNT HAVE IT..... Best Buy has it, but Circuit City always gets it late because they are idiots.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:39 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

i am extremely pissed that they can release a game with so much suckage. i mean seriously, how could they be playing the game in final testing and say to themselves, "man this game is going to decimate all other games"? i couldnt put my name on something i didnt agree on. i mean seriously. had it came before GTA3 it wouldve been a huge groundbreaker. but since GTA3 and GTAVC our standards in games have reached new heights. i couldnt put my name on something that didnt even reach those heights. they should be ashamed. or as my daddy would say, "dont do things half assed. go big or go home".

Old 06-30-2004, 03:11 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah, you have to release a game that is either "as good as this current game" or "better than this current game" not just throw a new game out there and it's got old ugly graphics. What's that say about your company? We just spent thousands of dollars to release a bad game.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I also heard that "Driv3er", with its cool as hell 3 instead of an E, sucked big balls.

I don't usually rent games, I'll just borrow it from a friend who buys it. I have a friend who thinks he has to own everything. so yeah.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to StangGt804 Send a message via Yahoo to StangGt804
Hey i thought driver 3 was good!! Its like gta but ten times better for me anyway!!! I have it!!
StangGt804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
I liek gramer
Legacy

what makes it better tha GTA?

GTA was so original, it broke so many levels of game play.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The cinematics were awesome!!!! It had really great graphics and the voiceovers were sweet!! People have different opinions, For me I hate gta:vice ccity but i like gta3!! As for driver i thought it is a good game! I say a7 or 8 out of 10!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The graphics and the realism are better than gta series! Gotta admit that! The cars take real damage and they alll drive differently!! Driver 3 = "A Good Game" If you wanna rent it RENT IT, if you wanna buy it BUY IT! I have my own copy of it and i play it everyday since it came out!!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I thought it was an OK game...Definately needed some work before they released it
Old 06-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
I liek gramer
Legacy

I just remember Driver 2, where they advertised the new curved roads.

then they sucked. if you ran into a curved roads wall, you just stopped.

teh gay.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
the physics in driver 1 for PS were the worst in any game I've ever played. drift around a corner and lightly brush a wall with the tail of the car at 70MPH the car would launch away from the wall at a 90* angle at about 140mph. Or straight up. either one.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
in that case i wont be buyin it!
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i am wating on the new gta san andreas
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 PM   #16
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
This is a classic case of rushing the game. Maybe another couple of months to a year taking the suck out of it and it might have been good.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:42 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

i have a freind who also bought it when it came out. he had the same complaints as me. but hes trying to find every secret car without the guides. and hes killed each of the "timmie vercimelli" guys. btw for those who dont know, Driver and GTA have a long going fued, in the GTA3 game, you play a mission where you kill a agent named tanner, which they accuse of of being "poorly animated". so in driver3 you get to kill "vercimilli" a GTAVC hawaiian shirt wearing clone of vercetti. and you kill him 30 times. yay.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:02 AM   #18
I liek gramer
Legacy

I recognized the Tanner guy in GTA3, I thought that it might have been referring to driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar