potato cannon - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
potato cannon

does aNYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE A POTATO CANNON I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS ONE AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE ONE SO I CAN TOP HISD PLEASE SHOW ME HOW TO MAKE ONE :thanks: IN ADVANCE
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
search google, theyre easy to make
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

how could i wire a spark plug to do the ignighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

this is what i found

Making a potato cannon is complicated but well worth the effort; if you pay for the supplies at a local hardware store (Home Depot) than it will be about 40 dollars or free if you steal the parts from construction sites. Even if you steal the pieces you should still make a trip to Home Depot to look at the parts I describe. All parts but the igniter are available in the plumbing section.

Materials: (PVC pipe combustion version)

- a pvc pipe chamber 4-5 inch diameter about 6-10 inch long (must have one threaded opening where a screw-in-cap fits and one opening that leads to the barrel of the gun)

- a pvc screw-in-cap that fits main chamber described above

- a pvc barrel no bigger than 3 inch diameter (4-10 feet long). The shorter the barrel the further it will shoot. (5 feet recommended)

- push button grill igniter

- two screws

- electrical tape

- potatos (after experience - anything)

- hairspray (Aquanet is my favorite although most work)

- broomstick or ramrod of any kind that is as long as the barrel

Procedure:

If the chamber has a third opening, then glue a cap over it. Drill the two screws in each side of the chamber so that they are ½ - 1 centimeter apart at the tips ( so that a spark can will travel across the screws in the canister. Wire the positive side of the igniter to one screw and the negative to the other and using electrical tape, tape the igniter to the chamber in the most convenient place as a trigger. Before continuing press the button and make sure there is a spark across the screws every time. Make sure air cannot escape the chamber when everything is attached.

It is optional to cut jagged edges on one side of the barrel so that a potato can be twisted into the tube and the potato cylinder can be ramroded to the bottom of the barrel. Once you put a potato into the barrel, spray hairspray 3-4 seconds into the chamber and screw the cap on quickly, aim and fire. HAPPY SHOOTING!!

Tip: hairspray leaves a residue in the chamber so after a few shots it is best to wipe the inside with a rag.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i was wondering if i should get abs pipe or pvc what would be better i think abs is stronger
Old 07-05-2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
i've never had a pvc cannon explode on me, so it should be fine
Old 07-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

what did you use to do the ignighting
Old 07-05-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

THIS IS WHAT IM GONNA MAKE

Particulars

Construction is simple. The cannon consists of a combustion chamber fitted to a barrel of smaller diameter. Our basic theory is that the combustion chamber should be large so as to produce a large volume of gas during the combustion, which will be forced at high velocity through the barrel, propelling our projectile.

combustion chamber length:14 inchescombustion chamber diameter:3 inchesbarrel length:36 inchesbarrel diameter:2 inchesmuzzel velocity:80 mph (estimated)range:100 yards max
Materials

Materials are all common and can be purchased for a small sum at your local hardware and grocery stores.

DescriptionFromPrice10 foot length of 3" diameter schedule 40 ABS pipeHome Depot$8.5510 foot length of 2" diameter schedule 40 ABS pipeHome Depot$4.253" to 2" reducing coupler, ABS schedule 40Home Depot$2.573" threaded (one side) coupling, ABS schedule 40Home Depot$2.673" threaded end capHome Depot$1.38small can of ABS welding cementHome Depot$1.71Coleman Lantern ignitorSport Chalet$3.99Trigger-style butane/piezoelectric barbeque ignitor (see photograph)Ralph's10.5 oz Aqua Net hair sprayRalph's$1.63Russet PotatoesRalph's89¢/lb
Tools

No special purpose tools are need for construction.

WhatWhyHacksawto cut the ABS pipingFileto taper the muzzle so that it can cut potatoes to size when we jam them inDrillto drill hole for ignition mechanismHair dryerto ventilate the exhaust from the system
Instructions

Just a few comments on instructions: Every few days, someone emails me asking for ``detailed instructions'' on potato cannon construction. I have no more detailed instructions than the diagrams given above, which should supply all the information needed to get started. Part of the fun of building such a thing is experimenting with the design. Furthermore, I have a feeling that if someone is not able to build a cannon given the above diagrams, then perhaps they shouldn't be building a cannon at all (I don't want anyone to hurt themselves by following step-by-step instructions without a clear idea of what they are doing).

I do have a comment on the ignition mechanism. Originally we used a flint-and-steel Coleman lantern lighter. This is a little assembly that produces a shower of sparks with a quick twist of a knob. We mounted the lighter through a hole drilled in the side of the combustion chamber. Unfortunately the flint/steel assembly doesn't hold up well to repeated firings, and failed pretty quickly. As a replacement, John and Eric discovered that a trigger-style barbeque lighter works amazingly well. This is sort of like a cigarette lighter, except with a trigger that produces a piezoelectric spark. The barbeque ignitor can be inserted through a hole in the combustion chamber as seen in the photograph above. It helps tremendously if the ignitor forms a tight seal with the hole; use ABS cement and maybe some duct-tape to form such a seal.

Many people ask me whether something is necessary to "prevent the potato chunk from falling into the combustion chamber." Once you build a cannon you will quickly find the answer to this question yourself. The fact that the design given here does not reference such a component should be a strong clue.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Wanna see a video of a buddy of mine who used nitrous on his spud gun?

http://www.turbosn95.com/upload/nitrous.avi
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I Dont Have Dsl
Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So Therefore I Cant See It
Old 07-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I Have The 10 Inch Combustion Chamber How Long Should The Barrel Be Isnt 5 Feet Too Long (first Instructions) I Am Guessing 3 Feet Should Be Good
Old 07-05-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
I was once working on someones car, and i had to go into their trunk.

And i saw what i thought was a pipe bomb or something. I was like, holy hell. lol

But they said it was a potato cannon, lol
Old 07-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
killin seagulls in corn fields with potato guns=the win
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
my friend and i built one using a 6ft barrel, a 12-14" combustion chamber, and a gas grill ignitor

youd hear BANG! and the potato would be out of sight
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

my newest potato gun uses a 180 degree elbow to connect the chamber to the barrel but i dont think it does anything different.

another cool thing me and my friend built was an 8 feet tall pumpkin sling shot, we used to launch the pumpkin then try to shoot it with taters.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

all i need is the connector that goes from 4 inch diameter to 2 inch diameter and i will be good by the way i am using abs pipe
Old 07-05-2004, 11:42 PM   #18
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
I wonder if I could use all the compressed air lines in the shop to do that..what...250 psi....:chin:
Old 07-05-2004, 11:48 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah you could do it with compressed air, but fire > air

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar