keep tech and classifieds on topic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
keep tech and classifieds on topic

i can speak for several people (staff) when i say that they are tiring of people making off topic posts in tech sections or in the classifieds.

no one deserves an official warning for something like that, but please help save us time from having to delete your posts by not posting them at all. thanks.

austin
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Did Sean or Gaston take over this site or something?
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
No but we do have a off topic forum for just that.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

For like the first three months there were no locked threads and no deleted posts. Now like every day there are locked posts, editted posts, deleted posts, etc. It's gay. Gay like 3.8 gay.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Regular

If people follow the rules we have none of that. Its common sense. You talk about tech in tech forums.

It defeats the purpose of having those forums if we let whatever go on. We have mods for a reason. And most of the locked threads have been in off topic and arent that big of a deal. The deleted posts are those that have no relevance to the topic.

You dont just let people do what they please and at the same time have order.

Reddit
Old 07-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Your site. But I don't agree with you at all.

The off-topic area is for all the other ****, but we have people like Rellik going around saying "no worthless posts", and locking off-topic ones. What is the point of that? The posts are still there. It doesn't remove them. They are still in the index. Just nobody can post anything. This is a forum, right? We are supposed to post, right? Am I missing something here? In off-topic, the only thing you should be locking are flame wars.

Without these "worthless posts", we have like 3 posts a day. You should be encouraging more people and more posts. Not locking threads like Rellik or insulting newbies like Charles. And the tech forums are barely tech anyway.

And on top of that, we have tire going into MY tech threads to call me a ricer. How on-topic is that? How is that worthy of being posted in there? **** hypocrisy.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
the name TIRE reminds me of like some short lil pudgy guy with a wife beater and a balding hairline with philly steak and cheese juice on his beater. LOL
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Watch out, that's a little off-topic for off-topic.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
hwo are you getted tired of that tire? youve been gone for over a month and show up a couple days then post this?
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:20 PM   #10
Road Trip!

im still laughing when u call him tire. "hey guys watch this if u give tire 5 bucks he will eat a nail!" (All the kids run over)
Old 07-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02
The off-topic area is for all the other ****, but we have people like Rellik going around saying "no worthless posts", and locking off-topic ones. What is the point of that? The posts are still there. It doesn't remove them. They are still in the index. Just nobody can post anything. This is a forum, right? We are supposed to post, right? Am I missing something here? In off-topic, the only thing you should be locking are flame wars.

Without these "worthless posts", we have like 3 posts a day. You should be encouraging more people and more posts. Not locking threads like Rellik or insulting newbies like Charles. And the tech forums are barely tech anyway.
note i say "tech" only. off topic IS off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tire
i can speak for several people (staff) when i say that they are tiring of people making off topic posts in tech sections or in the classifieds.
Quote:
And on top of that, we have tire going into MY tech threads to call me a ricer. How on-topic is that? How is that worthy of being posted in there? **** hypocrisy.
you're right, i shouldn't have said that. i was going to apologize and edit my post before you told me to go off myself. i won't bother going into that issue as i don't like arguing over teh intraweb about things or modifications that'll never happen anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon
hwo are you getted tired of that tire? youve been gone for over a month and show up a couple days then post this?
it happens consistently in the classifieds and doesn't take long to see it happening again and again. brent and others keeps being nice and posting to 'please keep on topic' so i figured i'd take the heat. who'd have thunk asking a favor this small would get some panties in a bunch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclesFromBrussels
the name TIRE reminds me of like some short lil pudgy guy with a wife beater and a balding hairline with philly steak and cheese juice on his beater. LOL
greatness. you hit a few points.
no beater though, and i have all of my hair.
i love my philly cheese steaks, and i am short and stocky though!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:28 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
panties in no bunch i was just lookin for an explaination.
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Old 07-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

that was not directed specifically at you.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:31 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

aight cool wouldnt wanna start a flame war and turn this into cough 3.8mustang.com cough
Old 07-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #15
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
I'm not going to get too involved in this, cause arguing on the internet is dumb imo, but this is Brent's site, which he has spent a lot of time and money on, and I mean a lot, so therefore is alowed to do darn well whatever he pleases and is allowed to run this site they way he sees fit. Ive been here from the beginning, back in the 232stangs days, and I have done alot and have seen a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on here and all the stuff Brent has had to do to make this site as sweet as it is today, and all you guys do to thank him is pull this kinda of petty childish arguing bull crap? Shoot, I wouldn't blame brent if he up and just closed down shop, but I know he won't. No matter what happens I am behind brent 200%. Brent's site, time, and money = Brent's rules. The rest of you can get over it.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r
I'm not going to get too involved in this, cause arguing on the internet is dumb imo, but this is Brent's site, which he has spent a lot of time and money on, and I mean a lot, so therefore is alowed to do darn well whatever he pleases and is allowed to run this site they way he sees fit. Ive been here from the beginning, back in the 232stangs days, and I have done alot and have seen a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on here and all the stuff Brent has had to do to make this site as sweet as it is today, and all you guys do to thank him is pull this kinda of petty childish arguing bull crap? Shoot, I wouldn't blame brent if he up and just closed down shop, but I know he won't. No matter what happens I am behind brent 200%. Brent's site, time, and money = Brent's rules. The rest of you can get over it.
amen
Old 07-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

3.8 at last.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #18
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Quote:
3.8 at last.
Seriously dude, if you don't like it, go make your own website, then have folks tell you how to run it after you put all the time and money that Brent has put in it. For the most part, Brent has kept the site someone of a democracy, but when it comes down to it, its a dictatorship. You don't pay any money on this site, so why should you be alowed to dictate how it is run. Brent trys his hardest to make everyone happy, but it is just not possible to do all the time, I think he has done an awesome job none the less. You don't like how things are done, fine, we get it, lay off. As i said befor Brents site, time, and money = Brent's Rules. Don't like, sorry, you are SOL. Im done.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #19
Regular

Guys calm down. It is impossible to make everyone happy. Thats my problem. I try to do that. I care to much

I am going to make some changes around here. Some may not like it some may.... I cant help it. I am trying to do the best I can.

I have listened to everyone. I have listened to you Laser, Tire, and all the members and mods that have helped to shape the site.

I'm trying my best

Reddit
Old 07-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Brent's cool.

But, yeah. That's what they say over at 3.8 all the time, too. The only response the POS moderators over there can give is: It's Sean's site. I thought we were trying to get away from the Nazi regimes of those other v6 sites with this one? At least, that's how it was at first. I've been here since it was 232stangs, as well. Woo. I remember when Brent left 3.8 because of this same ****. Hell. A lot of you moderators talked **** about Brent and this site when it opened. Charles?

Now it's like... All you mods are locking/editting everyones posts and patting eachother on the backs like you just saved the ****ing world. It's turning into users vs. mods. Just like over there. You all need to get over yourselves. You aren't top ****. You became moderators because nobody else was here. You're not special. You don't get my cookie. You moderate a site that has very little activity and whatever activity it has you're stifling it with your dickheadedness and overmoderation.

The only thing separating this site from 3.8 now is that 3.8 actually has members and posts. Way to go, champs.

But it is Brent's money.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:04 PM   #21
Regular

We will see what the future holds I think its going to get alot better around here after I make some changes. Only time will tell.

I can take constructive crticism. <-- Doubt I can spell it though?

Everyone is being listened to and I will take whatever one says into consideration

Reddit
Old 07-14-2004, 12:13 AM   #22
Road Trip!

can i have my own thumbs up forum?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

i think a chat room would help alot all the peple that are having conversations on a thread can take it to the chat room
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:54 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Laser02, i would suggest you get to know us before you judge all of us. as trite as it sounds, you don't know me and you don't know what all is happening. sure, the site is stagnating. i don't think that's even up for debate. i know the powers that be on this site certainly don't think they're "the ****". brent admits he's still learning a lot about mustangs, and i admit i don't understand computers as much. however, there is potential in this site or otherwise i wouldn't be here. i recently came out of retirement, sorta. i /have/ been a part of a successful and growing mustang club in texas and in my experience helping that site i have realized moreso nowadays that this site has potential. there WILL be some changes as brent says. he's a young guy, and so am i. let's not cut all of us down, alrighty?

232stang, a chat room is a very good idea. with vb3 a chatroom can be added but it'll cost money. the sorta ghetto trial version is free and can get it started. i think it's a good idea though. we don't need to be registering a 50$ chatroom now but the trial version would be great IMO.

austin

ps - i am not entirely sober. not to say i didn't mean everything i jsutsaid.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #25
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I made a thread about a chat room once. I got told it was gay and it wouldn't work because no one would use it.

I see both sides of the issue. I don't understand why some threads are being locked. And some are being locked without an explanation. I don't remember what thread it was, but I went to reply to a regular user, and it had been locked. No flaming had been involved, no explanation from a mod, nothing. That is crap.

But I can see where the mods are wanting to crack down on posts in the wrong forums, which, if I'm not mistaken, is what this thread was about in the first place. Hell, I get annoyed when people post **** in the wrong place, and usually call them on it, and I'm just a regular member.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm visit a number of forums.

Each of them has a topic and each of them has an off-topic forum.

In each of them you have those who post off topic cr@p in the topic forum then whine about it when they are asked to put it in the proper place.

A few @ss whippings would cure that, but short of that what do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

also when people register have them read something thats kind of a tutoriol so when they finnaly get on the site they know what each forums is for, but try to make it short so they will accually read it
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #28
I liek gramer
Legacy

^ I think that would discourage new members.

Maybe have it set so they automatically receive a PM about it, but don't stick it in their face. I don't know if that is possible, but just a thought. Outlook does it the first time you open it
Old 07-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Well I guess it is time for me to chime in. This is about as free flowing as a Forum can get without total chaos. I am not a big fan of locking down post and keeping them for everyone to seee. I am personally in favor of deleting crap or at least editing Trolls ot of a post. I dont think locking has been a major problem though not like most places.

I am anti Nazi and will do whatever it takes to nip any Gustapo attitudes whenever they flare up.

I keep saying and saying it over and over BE DECENT!!! If everyone is DECENT there would be no problems would there!!!!

Whenever you go to post think about what you are going to post before doing it, and say to yourself "IS IT DECENT"

On the Chat thing everyone has access to Aim so use it and get people to come in. Post a chat time in Off Topics and people will come if they are interested.

As we grow we will have more of these flare ups as long as there is differences in opinion but if we just BE DECENT we can get over just about anything.

AND IF PEOPLE DONT WANT TO BE DECENT BROTHER COREY WILL TAKE CARE OF IT!!!

So BE DECENT and have fun
Old 07-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #30
I liek gramer
Legacy

well the chat thing was just a suggestion. I'm at work right now and can't download AIM. Also, I wasn't planning on setting up "chat times".... I just thought if other people were on at work with nothing to do, they could chat in a chat room.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
I cannot chat at work. The security measures here do not allow downloads of that type and the punishment is being fired. So that is a no brainer. I was more talking about evenings when most people are home !!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #32
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Now it's like... All you mods are locking/editting everyones posts and patting eachother on the backs like you just saved the ****ing world. It's turning into users vs. mods. Just like over there. You all need to get over yourselves. You aren't top ****. You became moderators because nobody else was here. You're not special. You don't get my cookie. You moderate a site that has very little activity and whatever activity it has you're stifling it with your dickheadedness and overmoderation.
I dont understand you man... from day 1 you've been this way. I dont see why you think its such a big deal that the people who brent put in charge are doing what theyre supposed to. I know for a fact whenever I go to moderate something... the only moderation tools Ive ever used are "Move/Copy Thread" or "Close thread" Rarely do I edit anyone's posts... in fact I dont even think I have yet unless someone asked me to do something along those lines. I also dont feel that any of us moderators think that were special or better than any of the other guys... I respond to anybody in the same manner, it doesnt matter to me whether theyve been here for 2 days or a year, it just doesnt make a difference to me. What does piss me off however is when people find it so troublesome that we're doing what we're supposed to. Ill admit, some moderation choices have been a little much, but in the end its just the internet, its not worth gettin your panties in a bunch about.

Cant we all just be friends?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #33
I liek gramer
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I cannot chat at work. The security measures here do not allow downloads of that type and the punishment is being fired. So that is a no brainer. I was more talking about evenings when most people are home !!!!
well then I wouldn't want you to chat at work! I could chat though, and I think there are other people who could/would too. However this is no longer relevant to this thread. I doubt we'll continue this discussion, but my chat room thread in suggestions is still there.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80
It all boils down to "its just a forum", nobody told you to come here, 99.9% of us came to this site becasue we have the same common interest...Mustang's.... I see no reason anyone should get upset about rules, or editied posts or anything, just sit back and realize for 1 minute, that it is the internet, why you are here and does these rules really bother me sooooooo much that I have to complain. I am all about no stress, because I work a very fast paced, high stressed job in the Navy, and all I want to do is come home and get worked up about something else on the "Internet" that plays no role in my life. Its not like these rules were implemented to change your life, they were implemnted so this site works better and IMO is real friendly. Just my 2 cents....

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to V6STANG007 Send a message via Yahoo to V6STANG007
why is everybody complaining I think this site is great and every site needs rules, otherwise it'd be a mess. I think Brent is doing a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK you are right!!! Maybe I am the Old Crazy One
V6STANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar