I need advise big time... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
I need advise big time...

I own a modified v6.. not many mods though... dual exhuast, cai, tinted windows, bumper inserts, interior neons, underbody neons, etc..

BUT

one of my manager's boyfriends at work builds 5.0 foxbody mustangs and sells them. i was offered a newly built one for 5 grand. the problem is.. power or looks. EVERYONE i talk to says keep the one i got now since its really sexy, but they arent car people haha.. and i know power>looks most of the time. i just cant deicide so i need more professional opinions. comments anyone?

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Is the 5.0 motor a stock rebuild or a performance engine!!!! that makes a difference. if it is a stock motor you can easily make a V6 out perform a stock 5.0 with money spent on looks and performance. If your thoughts are more about track racing the 5.0 is the way to go. But for good looks and bulevard blasting I would stick with modding the V6
Old 07-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

im not sure.. all i know is that he has a mustang graveyard and he builds/sells them. he has about 20 half finished 5.0s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

keep in mind im 18, about to go to school, and cant afford a lot of modifications if any.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
I'd stick with what you have then, sounds like you put a lot into the car you have now

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
stick with the 6. unless you want a 15 year old rattlebox thats gonna be broken and on jackstands more than youre driving it. my freind had a 89 5.0, lots of mods. thing was a beast, but i think out of the 4 years in hs he had it he might have had it 1 month then hed be driving mommys car for 2 months, then 1 month again hed have it, then it would break. i know not all 5.0's are like this, but you never know. if youre in college you prolly want a reliable car, and a 5.0 isnt your best bet. the 6 will be a better daily driver. and when youre done with college, buy a 5.0 also, so have 2 cars, a daily and a weekend racer.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:08 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
5.0s r like Irocs around here u gotta have a mullet to drive one. Stick with the 6.
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:25 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

the thing is.. i only have looks. my stang has about 210 horsepower and can run 15-17 at the track... im not very happy with that haha. maybe its just my desire for more power but i want something that can run the quarter mile AT LEAST less than 15. i figure if i buy this i can modify it and stuff and maybe run 13s? this car isnt stock.. and its not used either. this is a new 5.0 (pretty much new everything minus the body.. but even that had a paint job). i would buy a newer GT for power, reliability and looks but i just cant afford it.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 AM   #9
Regular

Region: Tennessee
[offtopic] Your sig has been owned by Angelfire[/offtopic]

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
lol owned by angelfire. i usually use cardomain to host pics if needed. sometimes ill just host random images on there for ****s and giggles.

but anyway. you can take the same money youd put to getting the 5o and use it on the 6 and get into the 14's. the biggest restrictions in the 6 is airflow, port the heads and intake, have a good exhaust setup and a better rear end and youll see 14's with maybe 1500 spent if you can do stuff yourself.

of course if you really want a 5o go for it. the aftermarket for it is 1,000,000% bigger than the 6 and a whole lot cheaper. you could supercharge the 5.0 and see 13's easily. but how long its reliability will last.............

but you really shouldnt be looking for advice on which way to go on a v6 board, you know what were gonna say. even though i dont have a 6, i still lean towards them. im the only guy in my group of "car guys" than will back up the 6 when people diss it cause i know the potential. where most people see a "base model" car, i see a "ligher-than-its-bigger-brother,almost-as-fast-yet-half-as-expensive-to-insure" car, meaning more money is saved for mods.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 AM   #11
Regular

Do I have to make a announcement saying this is no longer a v6 only site 2:

Reddit
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 AM   #12
Regular

I mean damn i figured Mustang-Forums.com would give it away

Reddit
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

haha.. i know this is a v6 stangs site.. ive been coming here for more than a year (i stopped around wintertime due to my lack of my modifying in the snow haha). i know the potential of a v6.. but that can only take you so far.. especially when it comes to torque. the 5.0 STARTS where the v6 ends up after modifications. i can spend a lot of money to get even with that 5.0 but i could remove the air filter on the 5.0 and get a horsepower gain out of it haha. i guess im gonna go take a look at it and if it looks good, reliable, powerful, etc.. im gonna have to think about it even more haha.. thanks guys.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:05 AM   #14
Regular

Quote:
haha.. i know this is a v6 stangs site..
I give up!!

Reddit
Old 07-28-2004, 02:05 AM   #15
Regular

You can get 300 rwhp out of a built 4.2L

Reddit
Old 07-28-2004, 06:46 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude

but you really shouldnt be looking for advice on which way to go on a v6 board, you know what were gonna say. even though i dont have a 6, i still lean towards them. im the only guy in my group of "car guys" than will back up the 6 when people diss it cause i know the potential. where most people see a "base model" car, i see a "ligher-than-its-bigger-brother,almost-as-fast-yet-half-as-expensive-to-insure" car, meaning more money is saved for mods.
Actually not only is this not just a V6 site anymore. I myself have most of my experiences working on V8's. My current Stang being my first V6 car engine I have ever built. I have built Inline six engines Volvo and Chevy motors.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
You don't need a supercharger on a 5.0 to run 13s

Some of the coupes will run 13s with just drag slicks. The fox body stangs are a lot lighter then 94 and newer mustangs. You can be running 12s in a fox for relatively cheap

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I mean damn i figured Mustang-Forums.com would give it away
i still type www.v6stangs.com to get here... habit

Old 07-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
me 2 its the best v6 site on the planet!
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to V6STANG007 Send a message via Yahoo to V6STANG007
what?????!!!!!!!! this is not an all v6stang site?????!!!!!

I outta here!!!!!!!!!!

j/k

oh yeah and keep the v6 and mod it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK you are right!!! Maybe I am the Old Crazy One
V6STANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
do u have any idea how much insurance will be for an 18 year old with a 5.0 mustang?????? your going to take a hugh hit. stick with the six and when u come out of college then u might think about buying one. but for now i think its better to have a reliable, safe, cheap car. thats just my opinion tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
i would recommend keeping the sn95 for a little different reason. sure, the sn95's are nice cars but it's not the same feel as a **** and get 5.0. the newer ones might look better, but that's just personal preference.

however, you need reliable transportation. until you get out of college it might be a good idea to keep your v6.

austin
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:55 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
stick with what you got, right now the majority of people you will encounter will think your car is fast, then later on when you get the money you can back up the looks! 99+>all other stang bodies, but thats just my 2 cents
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Built 5.0's get crappy mileage. I got a coworker that has a stout 89, it'll spin the tires at speed in 4th. And no he isn't driving around on donut spares. He gets about 13 mpg highway though.

Any performance engine will likely need more attention than a stocker and it sounds like you aren't in a position to do that, either to a 5.0 or you current ride. My advice would be to finish school and then once you can afford to do it indulge your need for speed.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Well Let me add my input since I went to route of getting rid of my 2000 V6 (80k on miles) to pick up a 1989 5.0 (116k on miles)

Personally I feel like I didnt make a bad decsion at all. I happen to go and find a rather good shape 5.0 that was lady owned. Yes it did need some minor things changed/fixed but it was nothing but normal things that go with mileage.

The reliablity of it well Ive added quite a bit of mods to my stang and you know what doesnt seem like my mileage changed much at all and im supercharged. Then again my job is less then 2 miles away and I really dont go romping around (well not till night since theres less people out and about gotta have my fun too)

Only thing I can find a wrong on my car is the brakes and that its 5 lug but thats what im saving for at the moment. Non Abs brakes are killer esp. during the rain and dont expect to drive the stang in the snow thats why im gonna see if I can get a beater before winter hits.

Dont get me wrong I do miss my V6 esp since it was a 99+ (they kick *** woot) and how far I went wit my old V6 that not many can say they did. But do I regret it nope not at all.

Best advice is your gonna have to think about the future and what is best for you. Cause as the old motto goes **** Happens and it can happen when your least expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonarcher
do u have any idea how much insurance will be for an 18 year old with a 5.0 mustang?????? your going to take a hugh hit.
Your crazy i pay waaaaaay less then when I had my V6 and that I have a nice number of tickets under my belt and one license suspension.

Take what I said for what its worth. Good Luck
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
TAKE THE 5.0, especially if its a coupe!!!!! I personally think fox body stangs look badass, I know alot of people don't though. but i guess after you see them run well under 9 seconds, they get sexier. And like I said in a post awhile ago, who gives a crap about gas milage. I would take something that some people might see as ugly and has to fill up more often with 8 cylinders over anything that some people say looks good, gets decent gas milage and only has 6 cylinders. also, whats easier to get 340 hp out of on all motor for only $1500, a 5.0 or a 3.8??
Old 07-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
it all depends on what your priorities are man, you want to impress people with looks? keep what you got. want something that some/most people will think is ugly, but can go fast? get the fox.
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
TAKE THE 5.0, especially if its a coupe!!!!! I personally think fox body stangs look badass, I know alot of people don't though. but i guess after you see them run well under 9 seconds, they get sexier. And like I said in a post awhile ago, who gives a crap about gas milage. I would take something that some people might see as ugly and has to fill up more often with 8 cylinders over anything that some people say looks good, gets decent gas milage and only has 6 cylinders. also, whats easier to get 340 hp out of on all motor for only $1500, a 5.0 or a 3.8??
The 5.0 can be made very fast. They are also much less reliable do to age. They are a very Fugly squatty square baby Fairmont with what has to be one of the worse interiors known especially when done in the hideous Ford red. 5.0 is a gas eater compared to the v6. And if it really was not about looks I would get a early to mid 90's Z-28 with a 350 spend 1500 on it and whip the dog crap out of a fox 5.0

ECONOMICS 101 Keep the v6 and mod away, when you get out of school get you whatever you want.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Man ou guys really think foxs are ugly cause honestly this is a first Im hearing this. Ive never heard many people dislike the fox. I personally would take a fox over a 94-98 anyday of the week/month/year.

But as someone said before its all about prioteries (sp) I tell ya what I miss my V6 at times cause I think 99+ is just flat out sexay.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

I never use to like the fox bodies but they have grown on me. I prefer the looks of the hatch's but would go with a coupe for speed

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 07-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Man ou guys really think foxs are ugly cause honestly this is a first Im hearing this. Ive never heard many people dislike the fox. I personally would take a fox over a 94-98 anyday of the week/month/year.
Yes I think the Fox looks like a old box and the inside is beyond words as to the ugliness of it. I somewhat liked the fox at one time but I never could stand the interior. One of the worse layout Of any car i have ever seen. especially the ALL RED FROM HELL INTERIOR. Looked like a 70's flashback nightmare "B" rated movie

To say you would take a fox over a 94-98 evidently has not seen the sales figure of all years because Fox cars sold nothing compared to the 94-98. The Fox was a squished up fairmont inside and out.

I would rather had a Honda with a fart pipe over a Fox anyday SORRY

Is that honest enough for you!!!!!!

But I have no hate for anyones car. if you like them fine. There are some very fast Fox's with nice paint jobs that are the pride and joy of their owners. I personally just would rather drive a KIA
Old 07-29-2004, 03:05 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
To say you would take a fox over a 94-98 evidently has not seen the sales figure of all years because Fox cars sold nothing compared to the 94-98. The Fox was a squished up fairmont inside and out.
Sorry, but I don't buy a car based on sales figures or current trends. If I did that I'd probably be one of those 2f2f kinda goofs.

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 07-29-2004, 03:06 PM   #33
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I'd personally take any mustang, even a fox, over any (plausible) car.

They ain't pretty, but they are mustangs.

Foxes would be near the bottom of my list, but above the 70s pinto stangs.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:26 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Corey our crazy dude

my interior is just like this guys and about that clean. How is that interior crap? for its day thats bad *** cause if your comparing this interior to the interiors of today your just stupid to think that.

But its cool you have your likes, I dunno why have so much hate on the fox cause personally if it werent for the fox there wouldnt be this much love for the mustang in general. I feel that fox and its power that it gave back in the day is what put the mustang and its following official But thats just me personally speaking (this also isnt taking away from the classics cause we all know if it wasnt for them starting somewhere we wouldnt be where we at today in the mustang relm)

Oh yeah one more thing if you'd honestly would drive a Kia and honda over a fox just please slap yourself and make believe thats me doing it
Old 07-29-2004, 03:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
Dont listen to these fools.

Its your five grand.
Do you like that fox body or not? They can be made stylish.
Both cars can be made fast. Obviously the 5.0 has alot of advantages in that department. I wouldnt mod a 3.8 but thats just me.
My modding days have ended for that piece of **** worthless waste of money (TO ME)
Ill stick to modding my v8 mustangs.

But as it comes down. Do you like the fox better than your car?
Yes it has a v8, but do you really want performance. It doesnt matter what people on message boards tell you. Buy what you want. Its alot of money. Make yourself happy, not other people.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar