Gas-electric Ford - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Gas-electric Ford

http://springfield.news-leader.com/b...il-149824.html

Ford unveils world's first gas-electric hybrid SUV

Ford CEO Bill Ford stands next to a 2005 Ford Escape hybrid during its launch Thursday in Claycomo.
Orlin Wagner / the Associated Press
By David Twiddy
Associated Press

Claycomo The Ford Motor Co. officially kicked off production Thursday of a hybrid version of its Escape SUV, the world's first gas-electric hybrid sports utility vehicle and the first hybrid vehicle produced by an American automaker.

Bill Ford, Ford's chairman and chief executive officer, drove the Escape into a roomful of autoworkers at the company's plant in suburban Kansas City, which will build 20,000 of the vehicles in the 2005 model year. Ford said providing a cleaner-burning, more fuel-efficient vehicle would keep the company competitive as more consumers consider gas prices and pollution when buying a car.

"They don't want to give up their SUVs, and we don't think they should have to," Ford said. "It gets them where they want to go with greater fuel efficiency and much lower emissions."

The Escape joins the Toyota Prius and the hybrid version of the Honda Civic as the only gas-electric vehicles available.

Company officials said demand for the new Escape, which starts at $26,300, about $3,300 more than the regular Escape, has been huge, with some dealers in California already taking orders and amassing waiting lists of 80 or more people.

That mirrors the success of Honda and Toyota, which announced earlier this week that it would increase production of the Prius to 15,000 a month from the current 10,000. Toyota also plans to release hybrid versions of its Highlander and Lexus RX SUVs.

Ford officials said they were tentatively entering the hybrid market and, depending on how quickly the new Escape models sell, they could increase production.

The regular Escape is a strong seller for Ford with 167,668 units sold last year in the United States, according to Autodata Corp. The hybrid Escape uses a 200-pound, 330-volt battery pack to power the vehicle at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic. A 2.3-liter gas-powered engine kicks in for faster speeds and to recharge the battery. Ford said the Escape gets up to 36 miles per gallon in city driving and produces 30 percent fewer emissions than the regular Escape, which is a low-emissions vehicle.

I would own one. or for everybody else?
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
let's see, 36 mpg.... and I'm getting 28 right now and I look cool... I think I can deal with a loss of 8 miles a gallon... plus, mine rumbles in the city...

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
I liek gramer
Legacy

Didn't say I'd trade in my Mustang, just said I would own one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
wonder how it do in the 1/4 on electric?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

staging at the strip would involve just an extension cord!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to NJStang86
The only way I'd ever buy a hybrid is when they figure out how to increase fuel milage while maintaining horsepower and torque (talking about sportscars here).

Once they figure that out, I'll buy one. Until then, I don't mind $1.79 at the pumps.
NJStang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
well, they are still putting out over 200 hp on there. And electric motors can have a lot of torque. If I had the money I'd have an escape for my 2nd vehicle. I really like those

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStang86
The only way I'd ever buy a hybrid is when they figure out how to increase fuel milage while maintaining horsepower and torque (talking about sportscars here).

Once they figure that out, I'll buy one. Until then, I don't mind $1.79 at the pumps.

I've taken a course on this hybrid escape (I work for a ford dealership..)

Whatever you do, don't cut the orange wire, 300 volts will fry you!

actually, the electric engines provide plenty of torque.. it's 0-30 for around town is really good, like compared to any other typical small V6 SUV, it's 0-60 starts sucking.. I think it was rated about 11 seconds, the 1/4 mile ford estimates about 18 seconds.. could be worse, Its interesting starting this up.. it's silent, lol.. the engine only kicks in when the battery packs need aid.. the regenerative braking is a cool idea.. something I always thought automakers should do to recharge the batteries in these things rather than use a gas engine.. speaking of that engine, it's very odd.. I can't recall the name at this very moment.. but one of the valves stays open at least partially(can't recall if its intake or exhaust) during the combustion stroke.. not powerful, but very economical for some reason.. I dunno I don't design the things, I just try to fix 'em.
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar