internet problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

internet problems

anyone with some internet expertise, can ya help me out.

ok heres the problem. my computer has trouble "using" the internet, it will say that its connected in the network, but nothing will work. i know its not the network card cuz this is the second one. and also it did the same thing when it was hooked up to a wireless usb modem. anyone who can help me id appreciate it .. by the way to deter sarcastic remarks this isnt my computer that im on.

set up- cable modem-> router->cat5 cable-> comp. it will connect in the bottom corner, it just has no sent or recieved data, when you open the network connection. i disabled all my firewalls. and still nothing. thanks for anyone who can help.
This is America, where every vote counts, unless it's a vote for a Democrat.
thirstymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstymate
anyone with some internet expertise, can ya help me out.

ok heres the problem. my computer has trouble "using" the internet, it will say that its connected in the network, but nothing will work. i know its not the network card cuz this is the second one. and also it did the same thing when it was hooked up to a wireless usb modem. anyone who can help me id appreciate it .. by the way to deter sarcastic remarks this isnt my computer that im on.

set up- cable modem-> router->cat5 cable-> comp. it will connect in the bottom corner, it just has no sent or recieved data, when you open the network connection. i disabled all my firewalls. and still nothing. thanks for anyone who can help.
did you call your isp and let them know that you have a router and the mac address of the router?

I had to do that. Shot in the dark.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i dont even know of the mac address, also we had a wireless network going, my mom could use her laptop, but mine wouldnt budge.not sure if thatll answer the question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
Regular

Ok the way it sounds is that it recognizes the router within windows xp but it wont access the internet.

From what I read it looks like you need to look at the router. Usually just turn the router upside down (atleast on mine) see the attachment

Then you need to write that number down and call your isp and tell them that you have a router that needs to be added. Give them the mac address. While your on the phone explain to them the problem and they will tell you whether or not its what I think it is or not.

Hope that helps.

What router do you have?

Reddit
Old 08-12-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

its actually called a 5-port network switch. dont know if that makes a difference. i flipped it over and theres no mac address its just a model number. also it says im supposed to run the ethernet from the computer to the hub. they way i have it right now is modem-> "hub"-> two computers. computer upstairs is working fine in this way but the other one isnt. maybe thatll help more. and its a belkin-5port network switch.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Regular

well if other computers are hooked up to the same switch as your computer is hooked up to then its your computer. What Operating System is on yours?

go here:

http://192.168.1.1 and see if you get asked for a password. Do this on your computer thats not working right.

Reddit
Old 08-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i got xp professional. and i can try but i cant go anywhere becaseu when i open explorer it says you arent connected blah blah, do you want ot work ofline or try again.
do you think it could be that its a network switch, and not a router. although it specifically says "used to connect up to five computer to an internet connection"
Old 08-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
Regular

work offline I guess. hmmm

Can you do this:

Take your computer upstairs to a working computer. Take the Cat-5 Cable out of the Network card on the working computer and put it in yours. See if you can get online.

If you can then i would look into replacing the cat-5 cable.

If you cant then its def something with the computer. I would say network card is bad or the pci slot is bad that you are using. If none of that works then try moving the network card to a new pci slot and make sure you get the card in there good enough

Reddit
Old 08-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

hmmm not a bad idea. ill trying moving the pci slot first befor i start taking it apart to get it upstairs.. also. i know its not the cord. i used to go go from the cable to the compuer up here and it worked fine. then i took the cord and ran straight from the modem to the comp downstairs and it didnt work. so i really think its the computer.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ok switched the pci slot still the same thing. itll say its connected and start timing, but no information is being sent or recieved. the "link" light is one and the "act" light is flashy sporadically, but its not doin anything ... damn this sucks. the thing is i have had it hooked up to a network at school for the past two years and both times ive been able to set it up plug in and have no problems. although with games like unreal tournament and farcry and those games i couldnt host, it would crash my computer, switched my network card and i was fine.now this.. i wish i could just format it but i dont have the cd's to any of my programs..and i have a decent amount of programs.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
Regular

well I would do what I said in changing comps out to see if that helps. If its still not working its your network card or your mb is fubbard... but what I dont understand is that its connecting to your network apperently.... did you install the drivers for the network card?

Reddit
Old 08-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i believe my roomate did that hes a comp sci major.. ill see if i can find an update for it
Old 08-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

gonna try to put back the old card. see what happens
Old 08-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

aight i swtiched the cards, moved them around to different pci slots, and still the exact same problem. i know it is my computer because when i run the same cable from the modem to the other computer it works, but when i run the cable from the modem to my comp it doesnt work. it recognizes that there is a connection but no information is sent .. any help..?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i got it working now .. thanks for the help brent. me being a curious kid, set up a network bridge.. i dont knonw why i did or how but i did and it was messing with my connection. so im good to go now .. and mustang(dash)forums is my new homepage.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #16
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstymate
i got it working now .. thanks for the help brent. me being a curious kid, set up a network bridge.. i dont knonw why i did or how but i did and it was messing with my connection. so im good to go now .. and mustang(dash)forums is my new homepage.
Cool man gad you got it working.

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar