Horsepower TV going rice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Horsepower TV going rice?

so i was getting ready to watch Horsepower Tv earlier today. i guess their new project is a 94 civic dx. i am deeply sadened by this. they did a base dyno of 87whp. lol omg thats horrible, why start with a car that comes crap, why not do a 4g63 eclipse that they couldve done a whole lot more for cheaper and gotten waaaay better results. anyways, they put on a "Front Mount Intake" that has the filter in the frint grille like a front mount IC, and its supposed to ram air into the pipe. they also installed a cat back exhaust and headers. they spent clost to 1000 and their dyno was something like 97 if i remember. 1000 bucks for 10hp.

my freind also tells me they put coilovers, sway bars and rims/tires in the next episode. what the hell is this crap. im getting so pissed off hearing about hondas with my freind, cause hes swapping out his d16 out of his crx for another d16 that is sohc with the vtec and he has to do all this wiring crap, change the axles, get a Si tranny and a new clutch. its gonna cost him like 1000 and hes still gonna be slow as hell. why do people do this? why not get a car that has potential already, why get a car that you have to change out everything but the body to get something that has "some" potential? its like wipin before you poop it just dont make sense.

that is all.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
yea i seen that car

Its dumb.

Is that the same car they put a nitrous kit on and dynoed at like 150-160rwhp lol?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yes lol
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
Regular

So sad......

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol yeah the teal one. god its horrible. they even are doing a buildup on the crappiest engine.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Its Funny I Think That Ram Air Thing Cost Like 400 Bucks
Old 09-03-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

wow i thought it was like 230, 400 thats insane, i wouldnt pay 100 bucks for a bunch of pipe and a filter.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:04 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to killer86stang Send a message via MSN to killer86stang Send a message via Yahoo to killer86stang
it is sad just how many ppl think by having a civic you can build it up.. there is no such thing as building a honda on a budget... its not possible... frankly they need to lose the honda tuner mags cause there is no such thing as a fast honda on a budget. look at fast and furious.. they droped a *** of money into those cars. they ran like.. 14's at best. what fun
GT-40 upper & lower intaked, Ford Racing 65mm t-body,70mm EGR spacer, BBK equal length headers and off road X-pipe, billet aluminum fuel rails, MSD Pro billet distributor, Ford Racing 24 lb. injectors.BBK C.A.I BBK mass air conversion BBK fuel regulater kit. BBK 190 fuel pump, Ford Racing 3.73 gears. 93 cobra computer. and much more. :evil:
killer86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

14's are you out of your mind. those cars would run low 11's -10's, a built up twin turbo supra, considering the amount spent on the exterior,would probably be pushing 600 hp. thats enough to trow that thing across the finish line really fast, rx7's are an amazing car to build up when you spend enough money, a built up twin turbo rx7 could EASILY pull11-10 second runs. an rx7 holds the street class record last i heard at 8.7 something.honda s2000, thos cars are again insane, its another high reving high out REAR wheel drive car, those cars were very very fast, the evo and eclipse arent as fast, but supra's rx7's skylines those are considered supercars. they have amazing potential, even the original eclipse would probably run 11's by the look of it. those cars arent rice those cars ar F@#$IN FAST.
just a funny note to point out, in the original, remember how he says he topped out at 140, well he shifts into like 14th gear and just begins to hit 140 at lik 4k, and nails the brakes... kinda funny.. prolly woulda hit 150-160. the people who are supposed to go through and check on that stuff did a horrible job.
This is America, where every vote counts, unless it's a vote for a Democrat.
thirstymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

see you arent getting the point, theres a big difference between a RX7/supra and an integra/civic. the rx7 or supra were created with performance in mind, thus the stock blocks can get 1200hp. a civic was built to commute and get great mpg's. you *can* make them fast but at loads of money, and will need a solid block(sleeved) cause the stock honda blocks have the cylinder walls, then a 1/4 inch space between them for the water jacket, then the block. this design is crap for turbo, many a dumb honda try to push 10 psi and blow rods through the inner walls and into the coolant, destroying their motor at the same time. the solid block for turbo costs about 1000, with the need for forged internals, another 1000, then some head work, valve springs, cams, and such. and thats just the engine, not to mention a 3500 dollar turbo kit, then 1000 for a front mount, intake, exhaust, and all the little goodies, then we need to manage the fuel trim, so we add another 1000 for that(afcr, safc2, datalogger, pump and injectors), now we need to beef up the tranny cause it will never hold 300hp for more than a week, so theres another 2 grand(jdm tranny, clutch kit, LSD), now we need traction, 4 way coilovers rims and tires, theres another 2000. so theres 8000 right there. and it will still only run 13's if its lucky.

btw anyone know the saying, "whats a 300hp supra and a 1000hp supra have in common?"

12 seconds. youll get it if youve ever seen some supra driver talk mad **** then lose to a GT cause he couldnt hook up.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

and wow you arent the sharpest tool in your shed. youre only saying things that you have no real clue about. skylines are not supercars. they can be made into a supercar, but in stock form a ZO6 will trounce all over them. a rx7 is no supercar either, pushing 25lbs of turbo into that little wankel isnt gonna last long, their apex seals are their weak points and those tend not to last long under any mods. besides how many times do you ever see these so called "supercars" on the streets? hardly any, cause their either broken or dyno queens.

a honda s2k? please ive raced 3 around here and each have lost by a car. the other 2 wouldnt race as soon as they heard the bov. theyre overpriced and underpowered. their hp comes on at 5k, they have absolutely nothing below that, trust me, ive driven one. not impressed. you need to hang out with better car people. ever been in a 300ZX TT? ever driven a STi? ever driven a Cobra? in my mind you should not be comparing and contrasting any car till you have driven one.

now go watch fast and furious again. notice the ebrake is up on the green eclipse during the drag scene? count when he shifts in the beginning, i dont know of any eclipse with a 7spd tranny, even a 6spd is out of the question(its been tried), notice when he stops he has "arizona" plates, but in all the other scenes he has cali ones. watch when bryan and mia first go into her room, hell bump his arm on the table and shell bust up laughing and hell keep the scene going by flinching at her. theres so many things in that movie. what happens to turetto's RX7, does he just leave it in the parking lot after he runs? then why is it parked in front of his house when him and bryan pull up in the cab?

Old 09-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The HP TV clowns don't know crap anyway. So why should thier choice of project car surprise anyone?

Steve

PS: arguing the merits of jap cars is like two whores arguing over who's more virtuous.

PPS: An Eclipse is a jap car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:59 PM   #13
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
The HP TV clowns don't know crap anyway. So why should thier choice of project car surprise anyone?
2:

You gotta be kidding me.

The Civic belongs to girl. She lives somwhere in Hermitage. I saw her getting into that car in a Lowes Parking Lot. Horsepower TV and Trucks are produced here in my town somewhere. Stacey David is my friend's Sunday School teacher.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman

Steve

PS: arguing the merits of jap cars is like two whores arguing over who's more virtuous.

PPS: An Eclipse is a jap car.
your crazy if you think they dont know anything i can guarantee they know more about cars than you. and jap cars can be fast with the right mods. i would like to see a v6 mustang beat a twin turbo supra
Old 09-03-2004, 08:25 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
They put a body kit and springs on a red CRX lmao
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to steedav6builder
you know how we go into ricer forums and laugh at them and how they give us mustangs props. There are prob ricers comin in here lookin at this thread and saying silly mustang boys. Rice sux. I was in front of a riced out integra today. when he got up behind me he was sitting all gehetto style. I looked him in the eyes in my mirror and shook my head. So when the light turned green i blasted outta the light. He was too scared to give chase. Didn't want to mess with the V6 stang.
'99 Electric Green Cobra, #2517 of 4040 Built on 5/12/99
'00 Lazer Red V6-Gone but not forgotten

Central Jersey Mustangs and Fords Member #4121
Mid -Atlantic Cobra Association Member #207
steedav6builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by steedav6builder
you know how we go into ricer forums and laugh at them and how they give us mustangs props. There are prob ricers comin in here lookin at this thread and saying silly mustang boys. Rice sux. I was in front of a riced out integra today. when he got up behind me he was sitting all gehetto style. I looked him in the eyes in my mirror and shook my head. So when the light turned green i blasted outta the light. He was too scared to give chase. Didn't want to mess with the V6 stang.
:drive: way to go
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:38 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

psst sorry ponycarman, a eclipse was created by a little faction known as DSM, diamond star motors, chrysler, eagle and mitsu. while the dsm eclipse lineup was from 1990 till 1996, the production plant and design are the same. created in strange, illinois. thus im domestic. at least i wasnt made in mehico, like some other fords i know..........

Old 09-04-2004, 05:56 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to killer86stang Send a message via MSN to killer86stang Send a message via Yahoo to killer86stang
actualy... you dont have that all correct. there assimbely lines and then there manufacturing lines. parts are manufactured and sent to mexico for assimbely, thus not actualy made in mexico. just like the focus.. there assimbled in mexico.. and the svt focus there manufactured in germany and shiped to mexico for assimbely. my car i dunno where it was assimbled lil do i care cause for has plant all over. my oil pan is from canada doesnt mean all or most of the car was made/manufactured there. besides. ford is a american brand. started in indiana thus makes it a american car.
GT-40 upper & lower intaked, Ford Racing 65mm t-body,70mm EGR spacer, BBK equal length headers and off road X-pipe, billet aluminum fuel rails, MSD Pro billet distributor, Ford Racing 24 lb. injectors.BBK C.A.I BBK mass air conversion BBK fuel regulater kit. BBK 190 fuel pump, Ford Racing 3.73 gears. 93 cobra computer. and much more. :evil:
killer86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I actually do know crap. DSM might be based in Normal Illinois and it might have been a joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsu, but it's drivetrain is what?

As for the HP guysd, if you think they know thier stuff then you know less than you think you do.

Ever watch them do any work?

You ever assemble and engine like they do?

Those two guys are nothing more than talking heads. What ou don't see is the real mechanics fixing thier mistakes and assembling the stuff right.

You want to watch someone that knows how to work on cars look at Stacy on "Trucks". He knows what he's doing.

As for them knowing more than I do, you can't make that statement with any semblance of truth because you don't know anything about my abilities. But I'll wager that if you were to lock me and the two HP clowns up in identucally equipped garages to assemble identical parts I'd do a better job. Why? Attention to detail, which is something they don't so and don't mention. I mean, does anyone install pushrods dry? The HP clowns do. And that is just the start of thier kwality work. They'll supposedly build a high HP motor by lining the dots up on the timing gear set. No pro does that and no good amateur does it either. You degree the cam.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:49 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Also, those guys don't really run the show or get to pick there projects. It's all about ratings. And see more punk-*** kids drive honda's than mustangs, they're going to have to hit that side of the market too.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
Id love to be a host on that show,

"today we have my co host's mustang"

"We're going to put about 10 grand into it.
Oh yea since we're the hosts ITS FREE FOR US!"

lol
The have it made.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #23
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Whether they do a good job or not, I still enjoy the show and tivo both episodes along with both trucks episodes to watch when i get home from work. And the whole honda thing, its funny, but if you pay attention, they make very subtle cracks on imports lol.

BTW Stacy David is my hero!!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

stacey rules
Old 09-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
Stacy is such a dork.
lol

Your talking about the trucks guy right?
He's cool, I wish i could do everything he knows!
But let the truth be known, he's so dorky on tv.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:07 PM   #26
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As for them knowing more than I do, you can't make that statement with any semblance of truth because you don't know anything about my abilities. But I'll wager that if you were to lock me and the two HP clowns up in identucally equipped garages to assemble identical parts I'd do a better job. Why? Attention to detail, which is something they don't so and don't mention. I mean, does anyone install pushrods dry? The HP clowns do. And that is just the start of thier kwality work. They'll supposedly build a high HP motor by lining the dots up on the timing gear set. No pro does that and no good amateur does it either. You degree the cam.
It's a 30 minute show bro. Calm down. You miss alot of what they do. It's not a guide on how to do it.

Quote:
Stacy is such a dork.
lol

Your talking about the trucks guy right?
He's cool, I wish i could do everything he knows!
But let the truth be known, he's so dorky on tv.
He is really cool. He picks the trucks that gets the free parts and labor. Remember the Jeep that they did up like the Tomb Raider one? That was the minister's son's Jeep.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah stacy from trucks is cool, but both shows show the same amount of them doing labor, so really how can you say "oh stacy does this and that". remember, they have to fit alot of things in a half hour show, theyre not gonna be able to show you them tightening every bolt, just the basics. and i think youre supposed to know that. i mean, does "moster garage" show jesse james do every weld? no.

and they have producers and other techs offhand that also do the work. im pretty sure stacy doesnt do all that crap by himself. ever watch the bloopers? thats some funny **** right there.

ah and i knew the stange/normal illinois wouldnt get past you pony, thus why i did it. and the car is designed by mitsu but built in the us. i think that makes it domestic, cause it was built here and stays here. honda is an import cause they built it in crapan and shipped it over here. btw there are only a handful of eclipses in japan cause mitsu wanted the eclipse to be an "american only" sportscar. them japans had to pay for it to be shipped and converted to RHD.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well, it's simple.

When Stacy is working on something he does it right.

When the HP TV models do something they don't do it right.

I realize both shows are limited in what they can show, but it is exactly what they do show that makes it's expertise known.

While I understand both shows are supported by thier advertisers I feel that HP TV is nothing more than an informercial for thier advertisers while Trucks is more about the joy of working on your own stuff.

So, answer yourself this question and t'll tell you how you feel about it.

Would you rather have Stacy from Trucks build your Mustang or Frick and Frack from HP TV?

I know my answer.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #29
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Hmm let me think Umm yeah Stacy David all day any day

http://www.bigbri.com/code/truckstv.htm
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:27 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol frick and frack, my dad says that all the time.

and id have neither of them work on any car, stacy would want to rasie it, the 2 dudes would want to spend 25,000 i dont have. id have chip foose build my car.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to steedav6builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
id have chip foose build my car.
Now there is a great idea.
'99 Electric Green Cobra, #2517 of 4040 Built on 5/12/99
'00 Lazer Red V6-Gone but not forgotten

Central Jersey Mustangs and Fords Member #4121
Mid -Atlantic Cobra Association Member #207
steedav6builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:26 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-
yeh thats a good idea to, but wiouldnt foose want to spend 25,000 to? im sure those wheels of his aint cheap.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Chip Foose does some real nice work. Unlike that clown Jesse James and Boyd Coddington, Boyd might have some nice ideas but keep the tools away from him.

Steve

PS: I am probably as old as your Dad.

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

now your hating on jesse james hes bad *** with metal
Old 09-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #35
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Jesse James? A clown? For one, he builds bikes. Two, he owns at metal work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar