Political Issue: Our Oil Dependency - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Political Issue: Our Oil Dependency

Instead of bickering over politicians I'd rather talk about the issues. Since this one is being discussed in the Obama thread I'd figure I'd create a thread for this issue.

What do you guys think is the best way to get our country off it's oil binge? I'll throw my reply on later tonight.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Political Issue: Our Oil Dependency

i think you said it best in your other post. technology is the key. your right even if we start drilling for oil it will take 10 years. in the same time maybe they can perfect fusion power, hybrid power, electric power. you never know.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Find a new way to make plastics or plastic like products, that will save a LOT of oil consumption

Curb traffic jams. Tons of fuel is wasted each day during 'rush hour' or after an accident with rubberneckers.. so both sides of a highway are plugged

implement smart stop lights - something like rolling green lights.. so when you are stopped at one light, the next several lights are green for you - may not sound like much but it would add up, you use a TON less gas just cruising through an intersection than stopping and accelerating again

Implement a 'game' type thing on the instrument clusters with 'target fuel mileage' and make it a meter type thing.. green = best mileage, get to the red = gas mileage drops

Just a few thoughts

I for one will not give up driving or Horsepower - as long as I can keep at it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

Implement a 'game' type thing on the instrument clusters with 'target fuel mileage' and make it a meter type thing.. green = best mileage, get to the red = gas mileage drops

Just a few thoughts

I for one will not give up driving or Horsepower - as long as I can keep at it..
i like that! a game......very intresting!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Regular

Quote:
Find a new way to make plastics or plastic like products, that will save a LOT of oil consumption

Curb traffic jams. Tons of fuel is wasted each day during 'rush hour' or after an accident with rubberneckers.. so both sides of a highway are plugged

implement smart stop lights - something like rolling green lights.. so when you are stopped at one light, the next several lights are green for you - may not sound like much but it would add up, you use a TON less gas just cruising through an intersection than stopping and accelerating again

Just a few thoughts

Good ideas. I'm not advocating all cars go to extreme types of engines. Mustangs can still have their powerful v8s.

Family sedans should have much higher MPG though.

Reddit
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Cellulosic ethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
Regular

Here is my thoughts:

The first thing that we should address in this country is our power grid. This country needs to adapt a me first mentality. Instead of blowing over a trillion dollars a year in overseas military (bases, embassies etc) we should start cutting back military bases and closing embassies and moving that money into replacing every single oil and coal power plant with a nuclear power plant, hydro power plant or wind farm, whichever one makes more sense for the given area.

This will please environmentalist by killing off a heavy polluter in favor of a cleaner energy and it will please everyone that wants to get off oil.

The rest is already in progress. More fuel efficient cars. States given back the right to set their own emission standards.

I think everyone ignores our power grid as the best place to reduce our dependency on oil though. Everyone always talks about cars.

Reddit
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

My opinion is that the first thing we should be looking at is larger trucks. 18 wheelers, garbage trucks, etc. These are the guys that are really using up lots of oil and are the reason our entire economy is so dependent on oil. We really need to start looking at better ways to quickly transfer large amounts of goods over long distances.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #9

Region: Illinois

Closing military bases and embassies sounds like isolationist talk. Nuclear wont work until Fusion is developed as a power source. To few areas can benefit from Hydro power and the enviromentals would have a fit if you start diverting water from its natural course into a power plant. Wind power is already drawing huge criticism from enviros as birds are flying into the blades and the noise is disturbing the natural quiet of the land they are built on.
The best bet will be fusion, but that is still many decades away unless there is a huge breakthru.
Making cars more fuel efficient is a good idea but people wont drive any less so you also have to improve emission standards. The will make the global warming(not in anyway caused by man by the way) happy and the cars will cost several thousand dollars more.
IceMizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:

Just a few thoughts

I recently rode in my boss's car who drives a Prius. They have something similar to this. It shows how the power is routing throughout the vehicle and the MPG. Its a bit distracting IMO, but pretty neat in a "im a geek and i thought it was cool" kinda way.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

as for my views on energy and oil, i think we need to get ourselves off oil asap. im not a "save the earth" kinda guy, but rather, lets not give the oil crooks another dime kinda guy.

i dont care what we move onto... it doesnt even have to be green... it just has to be greener, cheap, and with little to no reprocutions to my lifestyle/cost of living. this applies to automobiles and energy in general. id like to see more R&D in renewable energies, but i think thats quite a bit off from being a completely viable solution... maybe in a few decades.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

currently oil is to embedded into our daily lives to just stop using... it WONT happen overnight or anytime soon. We just have to take steps to slowly get to where we only use it for certain things. People keep saying its not a renewable resource... well it is... it just takes to long

I dont see it happening ANY time soon. If we dont use oil WTF will we use? Coal??? that runs out as well... natural gas? guess what same thing.. Technology just has to catch up, give it another 100 years.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Unfortunately the corn lobby in the US is much too large and influential to allow this to work long term. They don't care if there are better and easier ways to make ethanol, be it from switchgrass or whatever, they want their money and they want corn to be the only game in town.

Here is an article kind comparing the differences: http://essay001.blogspot.com/2007/11...thanol-no.html
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Invade Russia

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its amazing how much corn has went up in price and how much more its costing us to make ethanol...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
its amazing how much corn has went up in price and how much more its costing us to make ethanol...
Yeah its funny how when OPEC sees prices drop they cut production....but when american farmers see prices go UP they cut production to make it go up even higher
Old 01-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMizer View Post
Closing military bases and embassies sounds like isolationist talk. Nuclear wont work until Fusion is developed as a power source. To few areas can benefit from Hydro power and the enviromentals would have a fit if you start diverting water from its natural course into a power plant. Wind power is already drawing huge criticism from enviros as birds are flying into the blades and the noise is disturbing the natural quiet of the land they are built on.
The best bet will be fusion, but that is still many decades away unless there is a huge breakthru.
Making cars more fuel efficient is a good idea but people wont drive any less so you also have to improve emission standards. The will make the global warming(not in anyway caused by man by the way) happy and the cars will cost several thousand dollars more.
What is so bad about isolationist 'talk'. I didn't say close ever base in the world down. We have bases in over 100 countries. That is absolutely too many.

I said use Hydro and Wind where it makes sense as well. Nuclear will work too. There are currently Nuclear Power Plants in this country that are not even active. There are two reactors 45 minutes from my house that started to be built and then stopped. The cooling towers are completely done. We need to start what we finished with these power plants and start reducing our reliability on coal and oil.

Reddit
Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

We need to start production on a Dyson sphere imo
Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Nuclear power is a wonderful thing. It's safe, relatively cheap, puts off no emissions, and produces an incredible amount of electricty.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Nuclear generation, biomass generation, waste-based ethanol, waste-based biodiesel.

/thread
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Nuclear power is a wonderful thing. It's safe, relatively cheap, puts off no emissions, and produces an incredible amount of electricty.
YEAH JUST ASK THE CITIZENS OF PRIPYAT AMIRITE

(oh god Browns Ferry is next)

edit: browns ferry's wiki is full of "wtf" and "oh ****" moments like

1) It was the first nuclear plant in the world to generate more than 1 gigawatt of power.[1] THATS ALMOST ENOUGH FOR TIME TRAVEL

2)However, Unit One was shut down for a year after a fire in 1975 caused major damage to the unit. (oh ****)

3)The unit was subsequently repaired and operated from 1976 through 1985, when all three Browns Ferry units were shut down for operational and management issues. (wtf)

4)The reactor has automatically shut itself down five times since June 2,[3] leading to additional NRC oversight.[4] (oh ****)

5)In a 2005 analysis of significant nuclear safety occurrences in the US, the NRC concluded that the fire at Browns Ferry was the most likely (excluding the actual accident at TMI) "precursor" incident to have led to a nuclear accident in the event of a subsequent failure.[6] (oh ****)

alright i can't go any farther or i'll have to move
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

If it was constructed in the 70's it was a custom made unit. All newer nukes are "off the shelf" units that are safer, cheaper, and easier to maintain.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
My opinion is that the first thing we should be looking at is larger trucks. 18 wheelers, garbage trucks, etc. These are the guys that are really using up lots of oil and are the reason our entire economy is so dependent on oil. We really need to start looking at better ways to quickly transfer large amounts of goods over long distances.
Trains. Europe uses trains for everything and they do everywhere.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to my dad a little bit about this since he is real big on alternative fuel sources. After *****ing about corn he told me the latest and greatest promise he's seen is Algae: 'The ultimate in renewable energy' - CNN.com
Old 01-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Some of my best friends are pipe fitters that either work or have worked at Brown's Ferry. Mostly they work on the pipes that are used to cool the reactor. I've heard stories that have convinced me that nuclear power is indeed VERY unsafe. Trust me, all you Huntsville guys are one drunk/high redneck away from becoming just a memory.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I talked to my dad a little bit about this since he is real big on alternative fuel sources. After *****ing about corn he told me the latest and greatest promise he's seen is Algae: 'The ultimate in renewable energy' - CNN.com
I read a differen't article on that last week and as long as they could produce enough, it would be perfect. I think they even found a way to do it too. Didn't actually read this article so maybe it does say it in there.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar