WOOOHOOO the AWB expired today - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
WOOOHOOO the AWB expired today

and it doesnt look like its gonna be reinstated.

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Think they are gonna be in stores tomorrow? I should go snatch one up before they are illegal again
Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
lol Kerry is having a field day with Bush not reinstating the ban. Like they couldnt be bought before the ban was lifted.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
whats the AWB?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #5

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Wasn't that more in Congress' hands then in bush's?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to chips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Think they are gonna be in stores tomorrow? I should go snatch one up before they are illegal again
what guns were illegal?

you could still buy any semi-auto AR, AK varient, uzi, calico, etc. while the awb was in effect.

all the ban did was ban certain cosmetic features.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
whats the AWB?
during the clinton administration a crime bill was passed that contained the assault weapons ban.

this ban outlawed certain features on firearms, for instance...

with a post ban semi-auto shotgun, you couldn't have both an extended mag and a pistol grip, you could only have one of those fatures.

on a rifle it was the same way... you were only allowed one of the "evil" features.

the law was pretty much useless. it did nothing to stop crime, it just banned certain items on their appearence.

here is the awb...

Quote:
The law defines firearms as "assault weapons" by one or both of two methods: name and description. [18 U.S.C. 921(a)(30)]. All told, the law affects more than 175 semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns and revolving cylinder shotguns a cross-section of firearms of various sizes, shapes, and calibers/gauges. Under the law, the term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means:
any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as: Norinco, Mitchell, Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); Action Arms I.M.I. UZI and Galil; Beretta AR-70 (SC70); Colt AR-15; Fabrique Nationale FN-FAL/LAR, and FNC; SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; Steyr AUG; Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

a semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
1) a folding or telescoping stock;
2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
3) a bayonet mount;
4) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel;
5) and a grenade launcher;

a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
1) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
2) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
4) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;
5) and a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
1) a folding or telescoping stock;
2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
3) a fixed magazine in excess of five rounds;
4) and an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
Regular

lmao

Its awsome how the Media twists it around to make people think that people are going to be buying machine Guns.

MAN DO I HATE THE MEDIA

Reddit
Old 09-13-2004, 11:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
lmao

Its awsome how the Media twists it around to make people think that people are going to be buying machine Guns.

MAN DO I HATE THE MEDIA
yessir. today i turned on fox news at 9...

Quote:
now people will be able to buy miltary weapons
no they wont *****! true assault weapons were banned in the national firearm act of 1934. this act banned things like fully automatic weapons and short barrelled shotguns.

the assault weapon ban of 94' had nothing to do with assault weapons. it banned features on sporting rifles.

when is the media going to learn that an AR-15 is not an assault rifle?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips

The AR-15 is cool, Get to "play" with one in my firearms class.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
We dont need the guns back, yeah people could still buy them, but there is no need for that much firepower.
Quote:
IPD Officer, Gunman Slain In Gun Battle

Four Other Officers Injured; Gunman Suspected Of Killing Mother

POSTED: 4:46 a.m. EST August 18, 2004
UPDATED: 1:05 a.m. EST August 19, 2004

Editor's note: For an update to this story, click on this link.

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man suspected of killing his mother shot and killed an Indianapolis police officer and wounded four others before being fatally shot Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Video

Slain Officer Was Husband, Father
Slideshow: Pictures From Scene
Info On People Shot

Kenneth Anderson, 33, armed with an assault rife, fatally shot Officer Timothy "Jake" Laird, 31, around 2 a.m. on Indianapolis' southeast side, police said.

Officer Peter Koe -- one of four other officers injured by gunfire -- fatally shot Anderson with an assault rifle, which Koe had because he is a SWAT team member, police said. Most IPD officers don't have such rifles.

Laird, the first Indianapolis Police Department officer to be fatally shot in 16 years, was one of several officers who responded to 911 calls about shots being fired at the home of Anderson's mother, located at 2704 Dietz St.

A man who said he was Anderson's brother told officers that Anderson had killed their mother, Grace Anderson, 66, according to police.

When police arrived, Kenneth Anderson "left the house and was running westbound while he continued to shoot at the officers as they were coming to the scene," Indianapolis police Lt. Paul Ciesielski said.

Anderson shot Laird from about 150 yards to 200 yards away, police said. Koe then fatally shot Anderson on the 1700 block of East Gimber Street, about 60 feet from Anderson's home, authorities said.

The wounded officers besides Laird were expected to recover, police said.

Grace Anderson was found dead in her home. Police said she suffered two gunshot wounds. An autopsy was scheduled.

Police said Laird was a member of the tactical unit in IPD's south district and had been on the job since March 6, 2000. He is survived by a wife and a 7-year-old daughter, police said.

Mayor Bart Peterson expressed his condolences to the family of Laird, who was the 56th officer killed in IPD's 150-year history.

"We lost a hero last night," he said.

Koe, 41, was shot in the knee.

Timothy Conley, 43, the first officer to arrive at the scene, was shot in the abdomen while sitting in his car. He underwent surgery at Methodist Hospital and was listed in good condition Wednesday afternoon.

Officer Leon Essig, 35, was treated for a gunshot that broke one of his arm in two places.

Officer Andrew Troxell, 25, was shot in one of his hands.

Police said that darkness put them at a disadvantage. One of the other officers who were on the scene, Mark Fagan, said gunfire hit his car, but he didn't immediately realize it.

"We couldn't locate (Anderson) exactly where he was," Fagan said. "I didn't even realize a round had gone through my car until later."

Police records show that officers in January had confiscated weapons at an Indianapolis home where Anderson reportedly had been living with his brother.

At that time, Anderson was identified by authorities as a "combative patient" and was taken to St. Francis Hospital for a mental evaluation.

Stay with RTV6 and TheIndyChannel.com for updates to this story as they become available.

.signupforme {font-family: verdana, helvetica, arial; background-color: #0099CC; color: white; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold;}
Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 PM   #12

I hate hearing about things like that, when guns fall into the wrong hands
Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i'd like to know what kind of "assault rifle" the man had... it's quite sad, but he would've killed whether or not he had that rifle.

what people don't seem to relize is that you have much more firepower, range, and accuracy with a hunting rifle.

imagine if the d.c. snipers had a hunting rifle chambered in .338 laupa mag with good optics - they could've picked off people from 600 yards away easy.

a large caliber hunting rifle will do much more damage than an AR or ak.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:46 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i'd like to know what kind of "assault rifle" the man had... it's quite sad, but he would've killed whether or not he had that rifle.

what people don't seem to relize is that you have much more firepower, range, and accuracy with a hunting rifle.

imagine if the d.c. snipers had a hunting rifle chambered in .338 laupa mag with good optics - they could've picked off people from 600 yards away easy.

Quote:
On March 12, an IPD officer warned his superiors that Anderson was paranoid, had an anti-police attitude and had enough firepower to give the department's SWAT team a long fight, according to the city.
Quote:
Police said Anderson was armed with an assault rifle and two other guns during Wednesday's shootings. Information on whether any of those were among the weapons confiscated in January wasn't available
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

see, we dont need new laws, we need to enforce the laws we have so people like him can't buy guns.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
guns dont kill people, people kill people. guns are just a accessory, the tool used. take away the gun and people would still get murdered/killed anyways.

and isnt it our right to bear arms as the constitution says?

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
guns dont kill people, people kill people. guns are just a accessory, the tool used. take away the gun and people would still get murdered/killed anyways.

stole the words right out of my mouth

Old 09-14-2004, 12:19 AM   #18
Regular

Quote:
see, we dont need new laws, we need to enforce the laws we have so people like him can't buy guns.
EXACTLY

I wish Bush would put the pressure on Congress to actually enforce these laws.

Its stupid. We dont need new gun laws when we cant even enforce the ones we have.

I hate the media with a passion. All they do is twist crap around and try to make peopl like Bush look like a idiot because he didnt extend the ban! They totally disregard that we dont enforce the existing gun laws to keep the guns out of these peoples hands.

Its pointless to have a ban on the accessories that were banned under the AWB when anyone can still purcahse the accessories. It may be illegal but do you ever see anyone getting arrested for it? No you dont. Becuase it insnt enforced.

It just pisses me off to no end.

I fill better

Reddit
Old 09-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude

your very right, I was meanin large fire arms, like more then the army, I my self cant wait till i get my permet for my guns, just not large firearms.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang
your very right, I was meanin large fire arms, like more then the army, I my self cant wait till i get my permet for my guns, just not large firearms.
define large

Old 09-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

what do you mean by "large firearms"?

btw, you need a permit to buy guns in your state?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #22
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Can't wait till I can carry a hangun.

Actually, if you wanna get technical, the second amendment doesn't apply exactly. I think we all know that though, and I definitely want my "right" to carry weapons.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:17 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
yes i would also like to bear arms, but i want everyone to have swords and katanas and shyt. any person can point a dam gun a and pull a trigger, but how long could they last in a swordfight?

i think id have a sword rack in my trunk and id have one next to me at all times like a ninja.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

large meanin more then the SWAT team or the army would have, and in Indiana, yes you do need a permet to buy one.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:59 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Quote:

The guy Charles (FishersStang) is talking about, was shooting an AK-47 at the cops...
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:54 AM   #26
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaper232
The guy Charles (FishersStang) is talking about, was shooting an AK-47 at the cops...
AK-47 is still banned.... so that shows the current gun laws arent even enforced Mr. Kerry.... so stop trying to make new gun laws and enforce the ones we have now

Reddit
Old 09-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to redrum Send a message via Yahoo to redrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
and it doesnt look like its gonna be reinstated.
you arent old enough to buy guns anyways.

redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
it does not mean that the AK was bought in this country, many of them are smuggled in or you can goto other countries and buy them for dirt cheap (in usd its cheap anyways) Anything automatic or even selective fire is banned i believe.

a large caliber hunting rifle and a ak would have a similar impact on the human body most likely chips. because of the ak is chambered in .308 which is 7.62mm compared to .338, IMHO I believe the .308 is a better caliber to begin with.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-

because of the ak is chambered in .308

no it's not... standard ak's are chambered in 7.62x 39. 308 is 7.62x51

308 has much more energy, range, and accuracy than 7.62x39.

.338 laupa mag, and numerous other hunting calibers will do a lot more damage than 7.62x39

take a look at the difference...

from left to right - 7.62x39, 7.62x51 NATO(.308), and 7.62x54R

Old 09-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I can go out right now and buy a Barrett .50 Caliber and be able to pick things off from nearly a mile away with no problem. See, some people just think because they have a gun they can go out and shoot people. I own several guns, my roommate owns several guns. There's probably about 20 guns in our apartment which are mostly used for target guns. There is nothing wrong with people being able to own guns and have them in possession as long as they know how to use them. It's when people have no regard for the weapon they control that people get killed. I believe there should be a tougher process for buying weapons so that some people are weeded out of the system. That's just my .02 cents for ya.
BTW, My roommate owned a .50 caliber, that's how I know the accuracy of them. You can get hit by the bullet before you even know a gun was fired lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
ahhh yea i forgot the ak was in a different form of 7.62 brain fart
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

it'sall good.

if it makes you feel any better, my saiga(ak varient) is chambered in 308.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Quote:
yessir. today i turned on fox news at 9...

no they wont *****! true assault weapons were banned in the national firearm act of 1934. this act banned things like fully automatic weapons and short barrelled shotguns.

the assault weapon ban of 94' had nothing to do with assault weapons. it banned features on sporting rifles.

^correct me if i'm wrong, i don't know **** about guns... but doesn't the "AR" stand for "assault rifle"?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

the original AR was made by a company called armalite.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
ah

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar