Traffic violation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO
Traffic violation

So I was in the parking garage at school having some fun.....(won't get into that) and a cop shows up. Tells me that he is writing me two citations, one for my tag cover and one for to fast under conditions. Anyone have an idea of how much these are going to cost me? I know y'all are not here but anyone have an idea. And can I fight the tag cover one. Just go into the court and say that I did not know that it was illegal and that I took it off. Hopefully get that one knocked down some.

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Traffic violation

the tag cover is a nonmoving violation. I say pay it. and try to get the other dropped to a nonmoving violation as well. might cost you $200 in fines, but won't your ins. cost

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh.....I hate this ****.

Thanks though, I'm definitely going to try and get the tag dropped and the other talked down. The cop said that if there were people there he would have taken me to jail for reckless driving. I was doing 15 in the parking deck. WTF!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

****ing pigs

Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

They got nothing better to do than harrass kids in a parking deck of all places. Then he was threatening me with writing a ticket for my tint. I was nice to him so he didn't. Still bull****, I'm going to get them both dropped or reduced. Fight the power!!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

go for it

Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah why not right? If it all goes well I can get them reduced and not have to pay as much. Just dont want my insurance to go up.

**** just makes me angry, all the more reason to hate cops, most cops.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

you need to talk to the traffic D.A. for that cop to get it reduced

Old 02-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I would fight the "too fast" one too. I would be curious to know if he clocked you, how he calculated what he felt was the speed limit based on the "conditions", and how the hell you were supposed to know what that speed limit was.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT HO View Post
So I was in the parking garage at school having some fun.....(won't get into that) and a cop shows up. Tells me that he is writing me two citations, one for my tag cover and one for to fast under conditions. Anyone have an idea of how much these are going to cost me? I know y'all are not here but anyone have an idea. And can I fight the tag cover one. Just go into the court and say that I did not know that it was illegal and that I took it off. Hopefully get that one knocked down some.

Ignorance of the law won't help you
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I would fight the "too fast" one too. I would be curious to know if he clocked you, how he calculated what he felt was the speed limit based on the "conditions", and how the hell you were supposed to know what that speed limit was.
x2 for this one

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I got a ticket for the exact same thing on Christmas Eve back in like 2001. I was in the middle of a line of cars, doing the speed limit, and a cop pulled me over and gave me this bull**** "too fast for conditions" ticket because my truck was lowered and had huge chrome wheels (it was cold outside but otherwise completely dry and clear weather wtf). Basically, it was a bull**** ticket just to pull me over and see if he could find anything else to bust me with. Instead of trying to argue the facts with the court, which probably wouldn't have got me anywhere, I just told them my speedometer was wrong due to my wheels being oversized and gave them a receipt I wrote myself saying I had it calibrated. Judge threw my ticket out. I know that it would be hard to make that same argument, but you could always make up some other bs about your car being messed up. Were you jumping another car on a set of homemade ramps dukes of hazzard style? Tell them you had a suspension spring that wasn't seated right and you were using the EMPTY PARKING LOT to try and get your suspension corrected so you could drive home without killing anyone. See, its easy!
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
The cops write you that ticket when they don't clock you, or when you aren't breaking the speed limit, just because its a "judgement" call that you can't really argue against. Its a legitimate law IMO, it just gets used incorrectly by every cop in the world as an excuse to pull people over. Its their BS version of "probable cause" or whatever. If they want to pull you over really bad but can't find something obvious like a broken taillight or a taglight out, they use this crap.

edit: for the record, it actually sounds like this is one of those rare cases where the ticket was legit. He probably could have hit him with a much bigger ticket if he was tokyo drifting around the public parking lot
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to bobbyoooo

idk all the terminology yet but wat is a tag cover
bobbyoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That plastic cover you put over your liscence plate. Usually to keep people from seeing it......but uh, I used it to protect it.....
Old 02-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

protect it from what, its a chunk of metal

I never really got the argument that people use them to protect their tag, anything that would hurt your tag is going to destroy the cover, and it will get dirty just like your tag will and require cleaning. Not to mention that it will eventually become cloudy or condensation will form or whatever and you'd be worse off than if you didn't have one.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
So I was in the parking garage at school having some fun.....(won't get into that)
I think this information is the most important information to get into. It must have been a pretty stupid act for you to not want to state what this act was you were having fun with.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

was waiting to see who was gonna say that

Old 02-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
They got nothing better to do than harrass kids in a parking deck of all places. Then he was threatening me with writing a ticket for my tint. I was nice to him so he didn't. Still bull****, I'm going to get them both dropped or reduced. Fight the power!!!!
It may not be harassment if you were acting a total tool in the parking garage prior to the tickets. However, we don't know what you were doing....so we can only assume what it was. I've been in parking garages a number of times and have been approached by cops, and no tickets were given...so my assumption is that you were acting a total fool and probably deserved the tickets.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

may have been doing the F&F drifting

Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It may not be harassment if you were acting a total tool in the parking garage prior to the tickets. However, we don't know what you were doing....so we can only assume what it was. I've been in parking garages a number of times and have been approached by cops, and no tickets were given...so my assumption is that you were acting a total fool and probably deserved the tickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
may have been doing the F&F drifting

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

ha ha. No I was just driving up the deck like a normal person, he may have thought that since the car is loud that I was doing 90..... I can't help that the car is loud in a deck with NO CARS!!!! Sound echos, maybe he didn't take sound 1101 in college. Or go to college for that matter. I was not driving like a total ******* at all. He didn't even pull me over/ stop me. I was stopped sitting in my car and he came flying up like I was a wanted felon is 49 states.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
ha ha. No I was just driving up the deck like a normal person, he may have thought that since the car is loud that I was doing 90..... I can't help that the car is loud in a deck with NO CARS!!!! Sound echos, maybe he didn't take sound 1101 in college. Or go to college for that matter. I was not driving like a total ******* at all. He didn't even pull me over/ stop me. I was stopped sitting in my car and he came flying up like I was a wanted felon is 49 states.
Quote:
So I was in the parking garage at school having some fun.....(won't get into that)

So it is fun to drive just barely off of idle like a normal person up the ramps of a parking garage? Come on man, we all know in a loud car no one drives up through a parking garage like a normal person. Also, if you are going the suggested speed, 10-15 mph in most garages, even a really loud exhaust won't make all that much noise. Hell, my car is loud as hell yet it doesn't echo when driving through the garage. Neither does hottcobra's with a big block chevy and dumped borla XR1 exhaust. It makes noise, but certainly not enough to make anyone think he is going fast at all.

I think there is a lot more to this story which is why you said you wouldn't get into it in the first place.

Basically, I would suggest you go to court, pay the fines, and be happy he didn't write you for the full ticket it sounds like you should have received. If you try and fight it and make the cop look like a tard, there is a real good chance he will go ahead and write you for the full offense instead.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
So it is fun to drive just barely off of idle like a normal person up the ramps of a parking garage? Come on man, we all know in a loud car no one drives up through a parking garage like a normal person. Also, if you are going the suggested speed, 10-15 mph in most garages, even a really loud exhaust won't make all that much noise. Hell, my car is loud as hell yet it doesn't echo when driving through the garage. Neither does hottcobra's with a big block chevy and dumped borla XR1 exhaust. It makes noise, but certainly not enough to make anyone think he is going fast at all.

I think there is a lot more to this story which is why you said you wouldn't get into it in the first place.

Basically, I would suggest you go to court, pay the fines, and be happy he didn't write you for the full ticket it sounds like you should have received. If you try and fight it and make the cop look like a tard, there is a real good chance he will go ahead and write you for the full offense instead.

In the deck at school the speed limit is 5. WTF! My speedo starts at 10, how the hell am I susposed to know if I am going 5. Well, in the deck here it is loud, if a cop is sitting outside with nothing else better to do he's going to pester the first person that he thinks is doing something wrong, I never let the RPM's go about 2.5K. Bull**** IMO, I'm going to court and just going to ask them to reduce it to a no point violation, I don't care about a fine I just don't want any points.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
In the deck at school the speed limit is 5. WTF! My speedo starts at 10, how the hell am I susposed to know if I am going 5. Well, in the deck here it is loud, if a cop is sitting outside with nothing else better to do he's going to pester the first person that he thinks is doing something wrong, I never let the RPM's go about 2.5K. Bull**** IMO, I'm going to court and just going to ask them to reduce it to a no point violation, I don't care about a fine I just don't want any points.
man dude, you should've dusted that ****in' pig. No way he'd be able to keep up. No way.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
man dude, you should've dusted that ****in' pig. No way he'd be able to keep up. No way.
In a parking deck? I could have dusted him into a wall maybe. haha
Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
In a parking deck? I could have dusted him into a wall maybe. haha
pedal down and go son

Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, Well I was parked when he came up to me anyway. Gay as ****.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

dude, as rob said it wasn't the sound of your car. when I went to a parking building with rob. the cop that showed up heard my car from around the corner and just wanted to make sure we weren't doing anything stupid

Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well maybe you just got that nice cop, not the campus ones that take their job a little to far. I bet he was just looking to get me on something like pot or beer.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well maybe you just got that nice cop, not the campus ones that take their job a little to far. I bet he was just looking to get me on something like pot or beer.
hmmm.... I dunno, something still fishy

Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

it may be that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you feel in heart that you were really doing nothing wrong, than fight the power. but if you were being an *** just pay the fine and move on

Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Man whatever, y'all can think what you want to. I know what I did and what I did not do. What I did not do was act like a total ******r in the deck, a 5 MPH speed limit is bull**** for a deck, most cars roll at 10 let alone be flooring it. How fast can you really get up to when your in a deck before you get a nice face to face with a concrete wall?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

well then fight that ****

Old 02-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #34
Registered Member