is anyone else sick of anti smoking ads? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to chips
is anyone else sick of anti smoking ads?

i am! im fed up with people telling me what's good for me. if i wanna smoke, that's my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

yes even though i dont smoke and wont its not be/c of those stupid ads it be/c i dont want to. Jesus like the other tim said its your body do what you want to it for christs sake.

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:03 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well I dont have a problem with them having ads against smoking..... but everyone should know by now that smoking kills so they are pointless.

If you want to shorten your one and only life then by all means go for it! Just dont do it around me

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Well I dont have a problem with them having ads against smoking..... but everyone should know by now that smoking kills so they are pointless.

If you want to shorten your one and only life then by all means go for it! Just dont do it around me
It is kind of like helmet laws, seat belt laws, and simular. It should be up to you to take precautions of that sort. If I want to take the chance of getting in an accident without a seat belt, then it should be my parogative. Same with if I want to ride a motorcycle w/o a helmet, should be my parogative.

If you feel the need to smell like an ashtray, by all means don't let me stop you. But like you said, don't bring me into your world. The adds are more annoying than helpful. Although, Canada has a nifty ad campaign. They have pics of really rotted gums, lungs, etc on the package as a "this will happen to you". Quite gross, but interesting at the same time.

Ok, I am done rambling now. Carry on.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to redrum Send a message via Yahoo to redrum
what they NEED to advertise is how addictive they are and how most people become addicted... because most are the same way. it normally happens from "social smokers" who smoke when they drink. then they get stressed out once and want a cigarette. then it starts happening more often, then they crave it for no reason. i know because it happened to me! my way of not getting too addicted is, i wont buy any packs for myself. i only smoke if i bum someone's cigarette, so it has to be at a social event type thing i guess. i started off with black n milds and then i tried inhaling them (worst thing you can ever do, but i liked the effect) and it didnt feel too bad so i inhale black n milds now, and started inhaling cigarettes while drinking, and now i crave them every now and then. <shrugs> but whatever...

yea, they need to advertise to NOT BE A SOCIAL SMOKER. you think you have control, but you dont. once you start, you get used to it and want it more. it happens!
redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
i hate these dam ads. shut the F*** up and let whoever wants to smoke smoke. by now you know the effects of smoking when youre 5 so by 10 you already know if you want to try it when youre 12 or not. my parents are both smokers, they said i will be too. and guess what, i tried. all my freinds tried. my cousin tried it. my cousins parents were smokers too, he became addicted for a short while. i tried it, and tried it. but guess what, i didnt ever become addicted. i have a anti addiction gene. i smoked just as much as they did but they got addicted. my cousin quit cause he lost in a sprint to me, he used to be the athletic one, and i was the geeky one who laughed at people who lived by "brauns over brains". my best freind=chain smoker. he got addicted like on the 3rd one.

im so sick of the ads. i wish the "big tobacco" could sue the admakers for being annoying. everyone makes their own choices. if they choose to smoke let them. if i choose to not wear my seatbelt and crash its my decision. if i choose to get stoned cause its fun or try E cause getting laid on it is uber cool its my decision.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
those ads are annoying as crap (i dont smoke), I especially hate the ads that blame "big tobacco" for everyone that dies from smoking. I mean, the tobacco companies put warnings on the boxes saying you are gonna die from smoking, what else can they do? its not like the tobacco companies created a machine that goes around cities that pins people down, open there mouth, sticks a cigarette in there mouth, lights it, then repeatedly hits them in the lungs making them smoke the cigarette. People just are held accountable for there own actions now adays.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to V6STANG007 Send a message via Yahoo to V6STANG007
I like the ads, the tobacco companies target America's youth and these ads are like a counter attack, to make young people aware of the dangers of smoking. Ads don't bother me. if u don't want to see them just flip the channel or look away. I used to smoke a lot and truthfully I now do not see the point of inhaling a bunch of smoke, I see no positive outcome from smoking, just spent a bunch of money and could've gotten sick. I am glad I stopped and I'm glad there are people and institutions out there wanting to make people aware of the risks of smoking. They are no trying to tell u what to do, they give u the information, u do what u want with it. It is your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK you are right!!! Maybe I am the Old Crazy One
V6STANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
I smoke, and those ads are pretty much stupid besides they are targeting a company that is not allowed to make commercials. If the tobacco companies were allowed to make the commercials, yea they would show people smoking but they would also prally have the surgeon generals warning among other already known facts about smoking and what it does to your body.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
smoking is nasty and a horrible habbit, but I do think its a great way to control the population.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-
I smoke, and those ads are pretty much stupid besides they are targeting a company that is not allowed to make commercials.
And by showing how smoking is bad is a great way to drive the youth to smoke more so than if you had a cig commercial. Think about it, when a rebelious teen sees that smoking is bad, what is the first thing they are going to want to do? Smoke so that they can buck the system. Telling the youth that something is wrong or not to do something is the best way to get them to do it. Just my .02 anyhow.

Kind of like the not me, not now commercials. When the "cool" crowd sees how nerdy most of the kids saying not me, not now are portrayed, they aren't going to want to be in that crowd.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Well, those things do hurt the general public in that we have to pay for the increased health care costs due to lung cancer, injuries (for people who don't wear helmets, seatbelts, etc)

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
...when a rebelious teen sees that smoking is bad, what is the first thing they are going to want to do? Smoke so that they can buck the system. Telling the youth that something is wrong or not to do something is the best way to get them to do it. ....
And that is just the stupidest attitude one can have. people that act like that are ignorant idiots and deserve what is coming to them. A kid that knows the risks and still decides to smoke has made an educated decision, a kid that smokes to go against what other people are telling him is just a ******.

I think this generation is less into being the "cool" kid and more into being yourself.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6STANG007
And that is just the stupidest attitude one can have. people that act like that are ignorant idiots and deserve what is coming to them. A kid that knows the risks and still decides to smoke has made an educated decision, a kid that smokes to go against what other people are telling him is just a ******.

I think this generation is less into being the "cool" kid and more into being yourself.
Wow...don't hold back. What do you really think? lol

What I am trying to say is that if a kid is smart enough to know that you will get cancer from smoking, they don't need to be told in some corny commercial. Those that aren't smart enough to know are the ones that will see the commercial and smoke to buck the system.

While my attitude is the stupidest one can have, it is a valid one. I know a ton of kids that want nothing more than to "beat the man", "go against the grain", etc. This is the same generation that watches Jack *** and thinks it a great idea to do the same stuff. The same generation that sees something in a video game and thinks it looks like a good idea. The same generation (along with previous generations) that still smoke weed or drink while underage knowing it is illegal but do it to 1. Get High, 2. Get the thrill of breaking the rules. It sure isn't to be an individual. It is to be considered a rebel or to be considered "cool".

While I don't blame movies/music/games/etc for the actions we hear about in the news, the point is that a percentage of todays youth are too stupid for their own good. It is those that will do it because they are told not to.

I know you are probably more in tune with the generation of today as you are probably younger than I, but it is just how I see things.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol...I meant having the attitude of wanting to "beat the man" or "go against the grain" is the stupidest attitude to have. not yours.lol

Quote:
Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Oh, and to be clear, those that do smoke because you want to and not to be cool or to feel like you fit in, I am not saying you are too stupid for your own good. I only refering to those that only do it because they are being told not to. I am not refering to anyone that is educated to the risk and does it for their own reasons.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
lol...I meant having the attitude of wanting to "beat the man" or "go against the grain" is the stupidest attitude to have. not yours.lol
Well, wouldn't be the first time I was told my opinion is the stupidest one. I get told that everytime I get in a debate about Chevy/Iraq/Afgan/The US world politics/and any other possibly controversial subject. :beer:
Old 09-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I know when I started dipping, I did it just to have something to do. It takes trying and wanting to do it to get addicted to anything. You don't just pick up your first cig and get addicted right off the bat. I'm in the process of trying to quit dipping, just gonna put those 2 bucks I'd spend on can of dip toward my car fund everytime I wanna buy a new can lol. Works for me
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

i started smoking a couple years ago. i was stressed out with work, and a cigarette during my break helped to take the edge off. my stress level has gone way down, and i havent smoked in a couple of months now.

when i smoked i was well aware of the risks. they are printed on the box. everyone that smokes knows the risks. im just so fed up with the "welcome to crazy world" commercials. im fed up with the lawsuits. im fed up with people trying to shut down big tobacco. it's my ****ing choice - not anybody elses.

alcohol has been around centuries before cigarettes, and it has killed many more people than cigarettes. it is more dangerous and harmful to your health than tobacco, yet i dont see very many anti-drinking movements. welcome to crazy world
Old 09-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips
yet i dont see very many anti-drinking movements. welcome to crazy world
They tried that once...it really did nothing more than build a strong foundation for the Soprano's.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
yet i dont see very many anti-drinking movements. welcome to crazy world
uh? You ever hear of the prohibition? we are talking about just some ads on tv and magazines. The movement against alcohol consumption and production was so big they even went to the lenghts of ameding the constitution, check a little thing called the 18 amendment. Off course this did not work and the amendmendt was repealed, but nobody is trying to tell anybody what to do. I don't see how some ads affect your freedom to choose.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
uh? You ever hear of the prohibition?
is the prohibition going on? no, so its a moot point.

notice how i said "i dont see very many anti-drinking movements" as in present tense... i dont see any prohibition now. im not talkiing about what happened 70 years ago.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
but nobody is trying to tell anybody what to do.
yes they are. they are telling me not to smoke.

Quote:
I don't see how some ads affect your freedom to choose
its not just the ads. people are trying to shut down tobacco companies which will affect people's freedom of choice. the 280 billion dollar suit against tobacco companies may very well put them out of business.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

hey chips?...Don't Smoke

Quote:
Old 09-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and i havent smoked in a couple of months now.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Good, I hope for your sake that it stays that way. like I said there is no positive outcome from smoking

Quote:
Old 09-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

no there's not, but i still want to be able to if i want...
Old 09-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
yay, time for my .02.... first off, smokers, it's not only you you're killing. I, personally, get bad headaches from cigarrette smoke, and my asthma starts acting up... yet, people light up right in front of me as they're talking to me. That makes me breath their smoke. I didn't choose to smoke, so why should I get the toxins still?

Secondly, it's not always for the rider that you have to wear a seatbelt or helmet. What happens if wearing a helmet weren't a law... you get hit on your motorcycle, fall, and get a bad concusion, sue for pain and suffering. If you were wearing a helmet, you wouldn't have gotten it. Seatbelt is the same situation, hit something, go flying out a window, and die, and million dollar lawsuit. You guys have to stop thinking about this as a ''it's my choice'' kinda thing, and start thinking about ''how does my choice effect those around me''. Is smoking a good idea when you're in a building where people have to be? NO. Is smoking outside in an area that's out of the way and designated for smokers ok? sure. I remember when that didn't really matter.

I find that smokers generally don't care about others when it comes to their smoke. It doesn't bother them, and I don't think they realize it may bother other people, or they don't care. Second hand smoke is even more dangerous than first hand filtered. Why is it you should be allowed to kill me?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:39 PM   #29
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
What happens if wearing a helmet weren't a law... you get hit on your motorcycle, fall, and get a bad concusion, sue for pain and suffering. If you were wearing a helmet, you wouldn't have gotten it.
Just be be the devil's advocate here...you could sue either way whether you were wearing a helmet or not. You could probably even sue for stoping a signal light without putting your feet down and sue because the bike didn't stay verticle on its own and there was no warning sticker on the bike saying it wouldn't stand without aid of a stand or your feet. Your point is valid in that your choice could lead to litigation, however that in itself is another huge problem. You can sue for anything these days. Speaking of which, you know, the coffee here at work is pretty hot and it does burn when you take a big swig right away. hmmm.....the possibilities.

As for the seat belt thing, as long as lawsuits are allowed for those not wearing them, a law is needed to save the automakers. Same with helmets. The same holds true for big tobacco. Sure, smoking is disqusting, benefit-less, and harmful to yourself/others/and the environment (as far as butts all over the place and the improper disposal/losing lighters...this is for the Enviro nuts out there), but that isn't big tobacco's fault. They provide the supply to meet the demand and make money in the process. Pure capitalism. To sue for millions because you were too pig headed to heed the warnings is just plain wrong. Time for folks to take responsibility for their own actions these days instead of finding someone to blame for their choices. Which, again, is a whole other debate.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

jimmy_beaner--- dont feed me that asthma bullcrap. i think its all state of mind with those people. I HAVE ASTHMA and i inhale black n milds, and im still walkin and talkin arent i?

if you dont like it, leave the setting and go by non-smokers.

i mean, im not one for blowing smoke in non-smokers faces, but there is always a place to go if you dont wanna be around it. same deal with pot smokers.. you show up to a party and there is pot, and you dont smoke pot, do you stick around and inhale it? probably not, youll either go away from it, with the other non-pot-heads, or youll just leave the party. same damn deal. <shrugs>

i just dont like people complaining so much, thats all.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
What happens if wearing a helmet weren't a law... you get hit on your motorcycle, fall, and get a bad concusion, sue for pain and suffering. If you were wearing a helmet, you wouldn't have gotten it.
its not a law in texas...
Old 09-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
I dont smoke, I don't mind no smoking ads...
At the place I worked at this summer pretty much 100% of every body else there smoked. I never really just got used to it, but hey, I had to tolerate it since i was the only one who didn't. It was quite annoying though. The place is called "Sir Gooney's" and they have go-carts, bumper boats, mini-golf, paintball, lazer tag... Employees were not supposed to smoke where a customer could see and thankfully they didn't for the most part. They smoked so much though, I wondered how much money they spent on those things per week. I mean, they were smoking like 10 cigarettes a day at least... I personaly think there is a lot of better stuff you can do with your money but I still like and respect a lot of guys who smoke...(i forgot to have a point...sry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

It wasn't here in louisiana either until recently. And, if you smack your head on the pavement, you can still get a concussion. I am not a med student, but, isn't a concussion when you hit your head and your brain is bruised from the impact? I don't think it requires a cracked skull. Which if that is the case, even with a helmet, you can receive some wicked concussions. Hell, look at football players. You always hear of some player out with a concussion and they have pretty stout helmets and aren't being hit as hard as if you were on a moving motorcycle. <shruggs too>

Wow, this is a fun debate, I just wish I would stop trying to spell helmet as "helmut".
Old 09-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

concussions are easy to get. i have 3

hockey, snow skiing, and hockey...
Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I got a nice concussion from a seat belt connection..cracked my skull and everything. As far as the other goes...the place I've worked the past two years, the guys I work with smoke 1-2 packs a day at least. Usually I'm in the van with them while doing it, I just crack the window and keep going...either tolerate it or quit pretty much lol. It's funny when it's pouring down rain and I start rolling down windows though, they don't like me very much cuz it always fogs up windows..but they don't smoke now when it raining and i riding with them
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar